Oh, that does bring up a valid point. I thought Thriller didn't sound all that bright, but I was using EQ with the HE-400. Ignore my previous posts about it I guess, at least as it relates to the HE-400 and not the album itself.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 1/26/14 at 1:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
Have had these for 3 months after losing a pair of Pioneer HDJ 500s. Preferred the look and build quality of the Pioneers, but the Sonys look ok and fold up nicely. The HDJ 500s didn't fold, but...
I think some of the reviews above have missed the real point of the i-20 for audiophiles, it provides an excellent spdif output from an iPod. Used with an external DAC the sound is excellent and...
Thanks to slwiser, Spidermeng and Woody469 for some of the pictures used in this video.
This is the first item that dragged me into the world of audiophile, having started as noob with this great cans I must say that Shure SE215 Special Edition is cans for everybody, all things...
below is a review of of the v-moda xs! check out my channel(like and subscribe) recently uploaded a review and comparison with the v-moda m100s
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 787
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #11792 of 170617/29/13 at 6:33amQuote:
I'm pretty much bald, so I can hear EVERYTHING! Haha!post #11793 of 170617/29/13 at 6:33amQuote:
But... the harmonics reduction and EQ veil....post #11794 of 170617/29/13 at 6:34amQuote:
Cool, maybe I can borrow it from you. I have a decent SACD collection too, maybe we can trade some for a while?post #11795 of 170617/29/13 at 6:40ampost #11796 of 170617/29/13 at 6:51am
Not to stray to far off topic, but just thought I'd mention / ask the following:
1) Are there any current users who have the Aune tube amp with DAC paired with the HE-400? If so, how does it treat the sibilance in certain tracks with vocals? Thanks,
2) Not sure if some or all of you have caught the following thread yet from the Headphones section. However, it basically has a reviewer who has reviewed another modified pair of Fostex T50RP headphones. The modded version comes in at about $180.00, plus you can add custom paint colors as well as the Mad Dog Alpha pads. The member / designer of this modification claims that the tuning was aimed at closing in on the HifiMan HE-500. They offer a ver. 1 and a ver. 2 of the mod. The ver. 1 has more bass. I guess the concern I have is when there are modified variants of the T50RP that make claims on how they close in on x or y. The same happened in the original T50RP thread when a comparison was made with respect to how much it was like the LCD-2 by Audeze. Now, this variant is more in line with the HE-500? When will the madness end? Why can't we just call them respectable headphones that easily compete in the $250 to $450 price bracket and have a good signature when modified, but not directly compare them to another brand or model?
[/Rant Off]post #11797 of 170617/29/13 at 8:33amQuote:
I think the J3 is decent with my BE, but I am looking into other source options mainly because I don't really use EQ anymore and would like a line-out option. Any suggestions?post #11798 of 170617/29/13 at 10:39amQuote:Originally Posted by MattTCG
Okay, I'll bite. What was the great price?
Yes, they are about the same weight. But the he-5le has a darker lush signature than the he-4 or he400. Maybe wje will chime in as he's owned them all. The weight on the he-4 is wonderful.
You know where you can audition the he-4. I'll be interested to see what the jergpads sound like with them.
i would still like to hear the he-4 myself. was thinking of buying one not too long ago.post #11799 of 170617/29/13 at 10:40amQuote:
thanks. great anime but they ran it a bit too long. i thought it should have finished with Shishio arc.post #11800 of 170617/29/13 at 10:45amQuote:Originally Posted by jerg
AFAIK jergpads (at least the v1.0 jergpads I sent to purrin for measurements a while ago) don't pair too well for HE5LE, and I'd imagine not for HE4 either since the two are in the same vein of sound.
There's a reason why I titled the jergpad thread "HE500/HE400", it's because I only have the authority to claim their efficacy with headphones I've tested with.
guess i'll find out for myself soon. ordered a pair from modulator when i had the he-500 still, but thats changed to the he-5le since then.post #11801 of 170617/29/13 at 10:54amQuote:
I can't recommend any sources currently because I have never tried the dx100 and those other totl daps. But I am planning on getting an hm901 as a source to pair with a portaphile 627x to drive some hidition nt6 pro's. I'm upgrading to this combo based on impressions from others because I can't audition any of these for myself beforehand. But I'm hopeful that the 901->627x->nt6 pro combo should be pretty sweet.post #11802 of 170617/29/13 at 11:27amQuote:Originally Posted by zachchen1996
I can't recommend any sources currently because I have never tried the dx100 and those other totl daps. But I am planning on getting an hm901 as a source to pair with a portaphile 627x to drive some hidition nt6 pro's. I'm upgrading to this combo based on impressions from others because I can't audition any of these for myself beforehand. But I'm hopeful that the 901->627x->nt6 pro combo should be pretty sweet.
Were you at the NoVa meet in May? I think I remember talking with you about your next setup, and that you had the J3 + GR07 before haha. Yeah, I think what I'm going to do for the time being is migrate to a Rockbox'd Sansa Clip+ and sell the J3. I think I'd have to wait until I can overhaul my whole portable setup (new IEM/cIEM, amp, etc.) but the HM901 is mouth-watering endgame material. Once I get my desktop projects complete, I'll be looking to upgrade to a beefier DAP and one of the HiFiMans would be considered. I love the design they choose for it, too.post #11803 of 170617/29/13 at 12:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by modulor
Were you at the NoVa meet in May? I think I remember talking with you about your next setup, and that you had the J3 + GR07 before haha. Yeah, I think what I'm going to do for the time being is migrate to a Rockbox'd Sansa Clip+ and sell the J3. I think I'd have to wait until I can overhaul my whole portable setup (new IEM/cIEM, amp, etc.) but the HM901 is mouth-watering endgame material. Once I get my desktop projects complete, I'll be looking to upgrade to a beefier DAP and one of the HiFiMans would be considered. I love the design they choose for it, too.
I was at the meet hahaha, that makes sense though, getting a clip+ to hold you off for a bit until you can get a "real" source. I actually bought my he400s the day of the meet because I was so impressed with it Currently I'm contemplating getting a msb analog dac to use with the he400s.post #11804 of 170617/29/13 at 12:29pmDespite being able to get more out of them through my home hifi and PC, I'm currently still very much enjoying my HE-400s through a Galaxy S4>Fiio E11. I can't wait for the upcoming E18 to be released (apparently just around the corner). I'm hoping that unit will endgame my future portable rigs.post #11805 of 170617/29/13 at 2:04pmQuote:Originally Posted by zachchen1996
I was at the meet hahaha, that makes sense though, getting a clip+ to hold you off for a bit until you can get a "real" source. I actually bought my he400s the day of the meet because I was so impressed with it Currently I'm contemplating getting a msb analog dac to use with the he400s.
Awesome! Yeah, I ended up going from my HE-400 to the HE-500 thanks to trying them at the meet lol. Did you pick up a pair from Justin? That MSB Analog DAC looks *really* nice, especially design-wise, but seems like overkill. I'd be curious to hear how it sounds, and see how close to an analog sound it gets. I'm weighing my DAC options right now and I've had a few good recommendations already, and now I'm considering attempting a DIY build, Buffalo DAC or DDDAC are options I'm reading up on...we'll see how that goes, but if not I've got a few other in mind. I have to budget for it, so depending on what I decide on I may have to save up some more.
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › V-Moda M-100 in eBay - Matte black (with some extras: XL... 1 minute ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 1 minute ago
- › AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone 1 minute ago
- › Cowon Plenue P1 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO E09K + E07K 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD25 Aluminium 25th anniversary edition review 2 minutes ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 2 minutes ago
- › = HIFIMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread (pre-orders up!) = 4 minutes ago
- › RHA MA-750i Review 5 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by Vero Golf Champ
- › Pure i20 iPod Dock by Gruffnutz
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob