Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 786

post #11776 of 17700

Does anyone have the Michael Jackson "Thriller" album from HDTracks? Man this album is BRIGHT! I can't even enjoy listening to it.  Anyone else have the same experience?

post #11777 of 17700

I can't speak for the hdtracks version but I've never found Thriller to be that bothersome.  Probably because it's not brickwalled. 

post #11778 of 17700
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

I can't speak for the hdtracks version but I've never found Thriller to be that bothersome.  Probably because it's not brickwalled. 


Well that's what i am asking about is the HDTracks version, if you have no experience with it why post?

post #11779 of 17700

jmsaxon,

I downloaded Thriller from the HDTracks website. I do not find it bothersome as well. What I do find is that I enjoy it better on my LCDs and HE 500 than on the HE 400.

 

Regards

post #11780 of 17700
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post

jmsaxon,
I downloaded Thriller from the HDTracks website. I do not find it bothersome as well. What I do find is that I enjoy it better on my LCDs and HE 500 than on the HE 400.

Regards

So, it's a bit bright to you on the HE-400? It's the one HDTracks album I have that I just find to be pretty much un-listenable because of the treble region. I would assume that it sounds better on LCD2 because of the darker presentation?
post #11781 of 17700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaxon69 View Post


So, it's a bit bright to you on the HE-400? It's the one HDTracks album I have that I just find to be pretty much un-listenable because of the treble region. I would assume that it sounds better on LCD2 because of the darker presentation?

Yes, you're right on both counts. It's just that the LCDs have been my go-to HP of late that I almost forgot why I did that in the first place. Having said that, a little EQ'ing (and I don't want to stir a hornet's nest again biggrin.gif) on specific songs helps. In fact, I use Amarra Hi-fi software on my Macbook Air. If a song is "too bright" to my ears, I use an EQ setting called "Audeze LCD-2" (appropriately) to tame it a bit. 

post #11782 of 17700
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

Male vocals are within the same region as female vocals, so if female vocals sound bad so should male vocals.  

Here is waht i dont get. I used to think the vocals were recessed a lot when i bought this HP, but after months of using it, i dont feel that way anymore. Im not sure why.

I have other HPs that i can compare it to but I clearly get the vocals now... Perhaps my brain adjusted? 

Ill have to try the HE-500 to compare them, but without any burn in i think it will be hard to know for sure.

 

Oh and, note that people who have heard this HP in the alst 2 months dont tell me the vocals are recessed, they say its rather the oposite (but they listen to apple earbuds so thats something to take into consideration).


Edited by catspaw - 7/29/13 at 12:14am
post #11783 of 17700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaxon69 View Post

Does anyone have the Michael Jackson "Thriller" album from HDTracks? Man this album is BRIGHT! I can't even enjoy listening to it.  Anyone else have the same experience?
That album is bright anyway, and slightly bass light. I have the 25th anniversary edition. Great dynamic range though.
post #11784 of 17700
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigomatt View Post


That album is bright anyway, and slightly bass light. I have the 25th anniversary edition. Great dynamic range though.

 

Agree with this, I find the album slightly bright which is a surprise because you don't expect that from such an old album. 

 

On an unrelated note, I just had a haircut and the music is sounding better than ever... biggrin.gif

post #11785 of 17700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaxon69 View Post


So, it's a bit bright to you on the HE-400? It's the one HDTracks album I have that I just find to be pretty much un-listenable because of the treble region. I would assume that it sounds better on LCD2 because of the darker presentation?

 

Much better for it to be painfully sibilant and unlistenable then to use the EQ though, because using EQ on the treble will change the harmonics a bit, which is much worse than tinnitus inducing sibilance / harsh treble... Whatever you do.... Do not use EQ with these headphones.

post #11786 of 17700
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

 

Agree with this, I find the album slightly bright which is a surprise because you don't expect that from such an old album. 

 

On an unrelated note, I just had a haircut and the music is sounding better than ever... biggrin.gif

My first reason to cut hair: too hot in summer.

My second reason to cut my hair: Headphones

My third reason to cut my heair: I look better.

 

Ive been having reasons for 2 months now... Still no haircut :D.

post #11787 of 17700
Thread Starter 

I've been on somewhat of an sacd kick for the past several months. The MJ album is wonderfully recorded in sacd format and not bright to my ears. 

post #11788 of 17700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaxon69 View Post


Well that's what i am asking about is the HDTracks version, if you have no experience with it why post?

How rude. He was clearly letting you know that the version he was listening to was NOT bright, therefore opening up the possibility that yes, it is just the HDTracks version that is bright (at the time). People these days...

post #11789 of 17700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaxon69 View Post


Well that's what i am asking about is the HDTracks version, if you have no experience with it why post?

 

 

You're right.  **** me.  Here I was thinking the HD Tracks version wouldn't be super different from the rest of the masterings.  wink.gif

post #11790 of 17700
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

 

Much better for it to be painfully sibilant and unlistenable then to use the EQ though, because using EQ on the treble will change the harmonics a bit, which is much worse than tinnitus inducing sibilance / harsh treble... Whatever you do.... Do not use EQ with these headphones.


This is just unbelievable....

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**