Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 774

post #11596 of 18080
Thread Starter 

Guys, lets please be careful with topic that should belong in sound science and keep the discussion moving forward and relevant to the he400. This thread has been a wealth of information on many fronts and fun to hang out in. I'd hate to see it get locked. Please use caution...

post #11597 of 18080

A couple things.

 

1: We shouldn't compare the rev.1 graph (if it is the rev.1 graph) of headroom to Purrin's Rev.2 graph.  Even if they're different iterations of the HE-400, Purrin's graphs are completely different in compensation.  Also bear in mind that for headroom and inner-fidelity graphs, a reduction of around 10db actually ideal for the area around 3-4khz-- which means the HE-400 are more along the lines of 5db recessed in that area and not 15db or whatever huge dip the headroom graph has.  I personally EQ that area up by 3db whenever I'm in the mood to and I'm perfectly happy with the results.

 

2:  About using greatly recorded music.  Yes, the HE-400 does sound way better with greatly recorded music, but so does almost every other headphone and piece of audio equipment.  To really test a headphone for flaws one might try to use less than optimal recordings.

 

3: By M-13's argument, EQ'ing the treble of the HE-400 down to flat (or in this case let's say HD600 and/or LCD2) messing with its timbre would be essentially saying that an HD600 or LCD2 have horrible timbre to begin with.  There's only one argument I can come up for against EQ, and that is that EQ's like the simplistic ones found in iTunes (which I use) are less accurate than they should be. It's why I never really bother with complex EQ'ing of the mids on the iTunes thing.  A simple treble rolloff however is pretty much nonintrusive.  Also a lot of people love to use that parametric EQ, and that's way more accurate, just as long as you stay in digital mode.  Analog mode creates nonlinear distortion.

 

4: I've said it a couple times already but this thread's getting far too big and has far too much circular rambling in it complete with walls of texts.  It's not a welcoming environment for people trying to get information on HE-400.  The original post should have links to many of the major reviews, comparisons and impressions of the HE-400 found in this thread-- provided by the members of course so the topic creator doesn't have to sift through 700 pages of crap himself.

 

5: I've said it a couple times already but this thread's getting far too big and has far too much circular rambling in it complete with walls of texts.  It's not a welcoming environment for people trying to get information on HE-400.  The original post should have links to many of the major reviews, comparisons and impressions of the HE-400 found in this thread-- provided by the members of course so the topic creator doesn't have to sift through 700 pages of crap himself.


Edited by TMRaven - 7/25/13 at 5:16am
post #11598 of 18080
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaxon69 View Post

I'll go with a tilted sonic characteristic toward the high frequency, but never harsh to me. That's one thing I always liked about the SR80I that ive had for years, they never sounded harsh no matter what I played on them. Oh well, guess we all hear things differently.

Me too - my SR80s never sound harsh in that sense. Bright yes, but not harsh or tizzy.
post #11599 of 18080
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Guys, lets please be careful with topic that should belong in sound science and keep the discussion moving forward and relevant to the he400. This thread has been a wealth of information on many fronts and fun to hang out in. I'd hate to see it get locked. Please use caution...

Sorry for the physics ramblings, Matt. I've just finished reading this entire thread and I was just trying to put to bed a misconception that has been flying around for too long about the treble spike on the 400s. Over and out on that one now!
post #11600 of 18080

As far as the discussion on timbre/sibilance/etc goes, I appreciate all the comments. It has helped me understand the issue that I kept bring up. Granted, not many of you agree on the subject wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

Here are photos and initial impressions of the Modulor Jergpads, as promised. Link

I'm getting tingles...

post #11601 of 18080

For those looking to jump into the HE-400 pool, there's a vendor on Ebay selling them for $324.##, with free economy shipping in the U.S.  If you desire 2-day FedEx shipping, then the charge is $24.##.  Keep in mind, the HE-400 is being sold by a vendor who is not authorized.  However, a SquareTrade warranty is offered for $49.99 and I believe it is for a 3-year term.

 

Additionally, though, if you buy a pair of HE-400s that are used, keep in mind that the warranty does not transfer from the original buyer to the future owner.  So, finding a used pair on the forum could still put you in the same category as buying from a non-authorized vendor.

 

To me, though, the HE-400 is certainly one of the best bargains in headphones today.  Sure, one can apply some sound adjustments to be able to have the headphones suit their tastes.  Then again, I don't think there are too many of us who have purchased a pair of headphones that we've completely loved out of the box.  Over time, we've realized that a certain signature wasn't for us, so we sold them and moved on.  After having the experience to move up the HifiMan food chain a bit, I've realized that an upgrade from the HE-400 doesn't really necessarily mean that one would get an HE-400, and with much more of what the HE-400 offered.  Instead, one is essentially getting a more refined sound.  To lots of music genres, the ability to have the HE-500 or HE-5LE handle those, then those models might be something worth considering.  However, I'd really encourage someone considering an upgrade to see if you can demo a pair that you're considering before taking the leap.  Sure, there are vendors who offer a 30-day return policy, but personally, I try to avoid using that option if I can because I'd hate to abuse it in the event I really needed to use it.

 

In the end, I've realized I'm a tweaker.  I'll always be a tweaker and having a bit of challenge to fine-tune the HE-400, for me, is well worth is because the HE-400 has quite a bit of grunt to it which can make much of our music sound quite stunning.

post #11602 of 18080
Wayne, how is it like for you to go back to the he400? Do you miss the he500? Any regrets? I'm sure the extra cash makes it easier for you.
post #11603 of 18080
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeffect View Post

Wayne, how is it like for you to go back to the he400? Do you miss the he500? Any regrets? I'm sure the extra cash makes it easier for you.

 

After having the HE-5LE, HE-500 and the HE-4 following my HE-400, I have no regrets at all coming back to the HE-400.  Sure, there are some things the other models do offer.  However, to a degree, the also have what can seem at times, a bit less bass.  This though, depends on the type of music, etc.  Plus, having the "5" series from HifiMan meant that I treated them more like a trophy as opposed to a headphone that I'd use daily.  The final straw came when I looked over at my pair of HE-500s at the time and realized they had been sitting on my Woo Audio stand for about a month.  To me, that just seemed crazy, so I put them up for sale.  I used my Sennheiser HD-600s for about three months until getting the itch to try the HE-400 again.  So far, so good.  No regrets.

 

As to the extra cash, that's sort of a wash to me.  My wife knows how much I love audio and making a splurge here and there won't cause issues.  But, doing so every 6 weeks does turn up the heat a little.  So, here I am with the HE-400 and thinking of myself as an audio enthusiast again.  I get to tweak a bit, use the EQ a bit, focus towards one of the JergPad mods, etc.  This is the fun part.  The other models didn't really lend themselves to tweaking -- again, due to treating them like a trophy.

 

Ironically, I also read a piece recently on the HE-6 and the reviewer was noting a higher frequency spike that was a bit bothersome.  That had me thinking a bit.  Here, one is with a $1,300 pair of headphones and they would, or might have to perform a level of adjustments to get the sound into a tasteful zone -- depending on their particular tastes.  I've read similar reviews on the Stax headphones, too.  If the reviewer is objective, they'll state such items in their review and not just sugarcoat 100% of the review and make one think that the model is truly the best, and great at everything.

post #11604 of 18080
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

 

After having the HE-5LE, HE-500 and the HE-4 following my HE-400, I have no regrets at all coming back to the HE-400.  Sure, there are some things the other models do offer.  However, to a degree, the also have what can seem at times, a bit less bass.  This though, depends on the type of music, etc.  Plus, having the "5" series from HifiMan meant that I treated them more like a trophy as opposed to a headphone that I'd use daily.  The final straw came when I looked over at my pair of HE-500s at the time and realized they had been sitting on my Woo Audio stand for about a month.  To me, that just seemed crazy, so I put them up for sale.  I used my Sennheiser HD-600s for about three months until getting the itch to try the HE-400 again.  So far, so good.  No regrets.

 

As to the extra cash, that's sort of a wash to me.  My wife knows how much I love audio and making a splurge here and there won't cause issues.  But, doing so every 6 weeks does turn up the heat a little.  So, here I am with the HE-400 and thinking of myself as an audio enthusiast again.  I get to tweak a bit, use the EQ a bit, focus towards one of the JergPad mods, etc.  This is the fun part.  The other models didn't really lend themselves to tweaking -- again, due to treating them like a trophy.

 

Ironically, I also read a piece recently on the HE-6 and the reviewer was noting a higher frequency spike that was a bit bothersome.  That had me thinking a bit.  Here, one is with a $1,300 pair of headphones and they would, or might have to perform a level of adjustments to get the sound into a tasteful zone -- depending on their particular tastes.  I've read similar reviews on the Stax headphones, too.  If the reviewer is objective, they'll state such items in their review and not just sugarcoat 100% of the review and make one think that the model is truly the best, and great at everything.

Great thoughtful post. Yeah you can't treat your headphones like a trophy, have to treat them like normal tools for music listening. Otherwise sell the damn thing. This reminds me of when I used to collect luxury watches. I was afraid to wear them outside becaue they were collector items and any dings/nicks could cost me thousands of dollars in resale value. (This of course was when I had more money and not now LOL)

 

I think the thing with the HE-6 is that it actually has some resonance up in the treble area. Can't remember exactly where, but it's "benign" according to people who know and measure these things, but it still sucks becaue the HE-400/HE-500 does not have any resonance issues and presents a very clean CSD. The treble is also described as etchy (not sibilant) but a bit rough at times. These are the reasons I'm not too interested in the HE-6. The thing the HE-500 is great for is that smooth treble. It's amazing because the treble isn't really recessed yet is never offensive.

post #11605 of 18080

its good your going down to the he400 as many says right under $500 is a good place.  i wont be surprise if i do the same.I just received my he500 today and saw your post and had to ask.  i wont be able to listen to them though until a few days.  im more worried about the comment people been saying how the he500 is more of a relax sounding hifiman and i find all the planars ive tried are relaxing than exciting. then again i came from the D2000.  but this hobby never seems to surprise me as before i didnt think i would like open headphone or non heavy bass headphone, spending over $200, buying a desktop amp the list goes on. gotta love headfi biggrin.gif lets see where this headphone takes me.  

post #11606 of 18080
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeffect View Post

its good your going down to the he400 as many says right under $500 is a good place.  i wont be surprise if i do the same.I just received my he500 today and saw your post and had to ask.  i wont be able to listen to them though until a few days.  im more worried about the comment people been saying how the he500 is more of a relax sounding hifiman and i find all the planars ive tried are relaxing than exciting. then again i came from the D2000.  but this hobby never seems to surprise me as before i didnt think i would like open headphone or non heavy bass headphone, spending over $200, buying a desktop amp the list goes on. gotta love headfi biggrin.gif lets see where this headphone takes me.  

That whole relax sounding thing disappears when you drive the HE-500 from speaker taps. They get aggressive as hell, not to mention explosive. Quite surprising actually once you hear it and just jaw-dropping amazing. Either that or hunt down vintage amps and use the headphone out if you don't want to do speaker taps.

post #11607 of 18080

actually im debating to do that as the emotiva is pretty affortable.

post #11608 of 18080
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeffect View Post

actually im debating to do that as the emotiva is pretty affortable.

This might work. wink.gif

post #11609 of 18080
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeffect View Post

actually im debating to do that as the emotiva is pretty affortable.

 

If you do go the route of the Emotiva amp, read through the thread because a member posted pictures a few days ago how they had installed a front mount 1/4" headphone jack.  This eliminated the need for speaker taps, as well as a balanced cable.  Plus, it looks pretty sharp, too.

post #11610 of 18080
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

 

If you do go the route of the Emotiva amp, read through the thread because a member posted pictures a few days ago how they had installed a front mount 1/4" headphone jack.  This eliminated the need for speaker taps, as well as a balanced cable.  Plus, it looks pretty sharp, too.

Yeah I love Koiloco. He's a nice guy who's got some skillz.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**