Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 769

post #11521 of 19921

Places like HeadRoom or Audio Advisor offer 30 days money back if you're not happy. You can hear them with your own gear and if they don't sound good "to you" just send them back. 

 

I've not found the HE-400's to be "dark sounding" like some have said nor bright/harsh in the treble as others have stated. Now it may be that the Lyr and or the tubes I'm using just work well with the HE-400's but in my system they sound pretty balanced and a powerful bottom end that outshines other can's I've heard. 

 

After all I'd read I was sure that I'd give the HE-400's a listen but then I'd most likely send them back for the HE-500's...now I'm pretty sure that I'm keeping the 400's. 

post #11522 of 19921

I think these are probably the best headphones I have heard for electronic music... Maybe the D2000 are better I am not sure... if you have a problem with the treble.... Just EQ everything from 8khz > 20khz down by about 5db....

post #11523 of 19921
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0val View Post

Does the treble come close to your grados at all? I would love it if the he-400 were a little less "harsh" with treble. I could potentially save myself a couple hundred bucks. If not, the ps500 is still an awesome piece of equipment. 

Different kind of treble, the HE-400 has "treble spikes" whereas the Grados are just plain bright, as intended to be.  I have a multitude of things that I have done  to my HE-400 to tailor them to my ears, pad change ( self modded j-money), thick dust cover, grill mod and an aftermarket cable. The day I got my LCD-2s I was surprised how  they were similar to the way the HE-400 sounds with my changes(still prefer the LCD-2 though).

post #11524 of 19921
Quantity of treble and the smoothness of treble are two different things. Grados should be harsh sounding but they are not. The frequency response only shows the amplitude of the different frequency points, I think a lot of people listen with their eyes instead of their ears on Head-Fi.
post #11525 of 19921
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaxon69 View Post

Quantity of treble and the smoothness of treble are two different things. Grados should be harsh sounding but they are not. The frequency response only shows the amplitude of the different frequency points, I think a lot of people listen with their eyes instead of their ears on Head-Fi.

 

I would say the HE-400 with no EQ are pretty much harsh to my ears....

 

With -5db from 8>20khz they are probably less harsh than the D2000 overall and definately less harsh than Beyerdynamic and Grado. With the EQ they are still slightly harsh sounding but not bad really.... They have such good mids, bass and soundstage etc. that it makes up for the slightly harsh treble... I don't think I have heard a better sounding pair of headphones at the price tbh... They respond well to EQ of the treble....


Edited by nicholars - 7/23/13 at 2:12pm
post #11526 of 19921

This isn't really directed at anyone in particular, but it's something to think about...

 

What if your amp isn't very smooth in the treble and other rolled off less accurate headphones don't show it? What if your interconnect cable is a little thin or zingy sounding? What if your digital source is a bit harsh but your other headphones mask it with their response and lack of resolution? Panel speakers are known to be ruthlessly revealing and show off how bad or good an amp really is, could the same be true about the HE series from HiFiMan?  What if your EQ is degrading the sound instead of making it better by putting another non-transparent layer in the signal?  Just some stuff to think about....

post #11527 of 19921
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLJTech View Post

Places like HeadRoom or Audio Advisor offer 30 days money back if you're not happy. You can hear them with your own gear and if they don't sound good "to you" just send them back. 

 

I've not found the HE-400's to be "dark sounding" like some have said nor bright/harsh in the treble as others have stated. Now it may be that the Lyr and or the tubes I'm using just work well with the HE-400's but in my system they sound pretty balanced and a powerful bottom end that outshines other can's I've heard. 

 

After all I'd read I was sure that I'd give the HE-400's a listen but then I'd most likely send them back for the HE-500's...now I'm pretty sure that I'm keeping the 400's. 


About at the same place even without having my Lyr yet, I'm sooooo glad I ordered one! which tubes did you get when you ordered yours? Are they the same now? I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I think I found some that i want to try.  I ordered with the NOS tubes instead of the JJ's.

post #11528 of 19921

I dunno about grados being just bright and not harsh.  They're definitely harsh.  

post #11529 of 19921
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaxon69 View Post

This isn't really directed at anyone in particular, but it's something to think about...

 

What if your amp isn't very smooth in the treble and other rolled off less accurate headphones don't show it? What if your interconnect cable is a little thin or zingy sounding? What if your digital source is a bit harsh but your other headphones mask it with their response and lack of resolution? Panel speakers are known to be ruthlessly revealing and show off how bad or good an amp really is, could the same be true about the HE series from HiFiMan?  What if your EQ is degrading the sound instead of making it better by putting another non-transparent layer in the signal?  Just some stuff to think about....

 

I think the HE400 just have a peak in the treble!

post #11530 of 19921
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

 

I think the HE400 just have a peak in the treble!


Haha! Yer killing me! that was pretty funny! But according to this there really isn't much of a peak compared to everything else but a section of the midrange, it's only a db or two TOPS from 1K down to about 15hz! What are y'all talkin' 'bout? There is a drop from about 1K to 8K, that's not "treble spikes" now is it?  It's a midrange suck that really helps with the depth these things can pull off!

 

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3651&scale=30


Edited by jmsaxon69 - 7/23/13 at 4:05pm
post #11531 of 19921

My thoughts exactly . . . What makes the frequency response seem strange is the fact that they center it at about 1 khz. If they centered it at say, 100 hz, it would be more apparent that there is only a slight, inaudible peak in the 1 khz and 9 khz area. Otherwise, the upper mids are 'scooped' out a little more aggressively than other phones I have looked at.

 

And as others have said, and I agree, these are neither really "dark" nor are the mids 'recessed'. If anything, "bright" and "forward" comes to mind! My ears must be odd.
 

post #11532 of 19921
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaxon69 View Post


About at the same place even without having my Lyr yet, I'm sooooo glad I ordered one! which tubes did you get when you ordered yours? Are they the same now? I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I think I found some that i want to try.  I ordered with the NOS tubes instead of the JJ's.

Mine came with the GE 6BZ7's but I've been using the 6N1P's for about the last month or so. I love the amp with either set of tubes...I think you'll be very pleased as its made all of my headphones sound better. My HE-400's don't sound bright at all, thus far I've only listened to good recordings (CD's and FLAC and/or Wav files) that I know very well. My Lyr is getting pretty loud with the volume at about 11 o'clock so I have a ton of gain to spare. 


Edited by KLJTech - 7/23/13 at 5:51pm
post #11533 of 19921
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

I dunno about grados being just bright and not harsh.  They're definitely harsh.  


Wow, I've heard a lot of Grado, none of them were harsh and i am very sensitive to painful high end.  Beyerdynamic DT990 didn't last a month in my possession, even twith a ton of BURN IN!

 

I guess there really isn't much you and I agree on is there?

 

You seem like a guy who could use some of the stuff you don't believe in!

 

What do you think of the DT990 then? The harshest sound you ever heard?


Edited by jmsaxon69 - 7/23/13 at 6:03pm
post #11534 of 19921
Thread Starter 

Sorry, gotta agree with Raven on this one. I have heard many of the Grados and to my ears the treble was bright and somewhat harsh. I consider myself ultrasensitive to bright hp's though. 

post #11535 of 19921
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Sorry, gotta agree with Raven on this one. I have heard many of the Grados and to my ears the treble was bright and somewhat harsh. I consider myself ultrasensitive to bright hp's though. 
I'll go with a tilted sonic characteristic toward the high frequency, but never harsh to me. That's one thing I always liked about the SR80I that ive had for years, they never sounded harsh no matter what I played on them. Oh well, guess we all hear things differently.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**