Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 764

post #11446 of 18082
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

9 months on and I still get all giddy when I'm about to listen to music, I love these cans L3000.gif

These cans have definitely been the best medicine for the head-fi upgrade-itus.

post #11447 of 18082
There can be issues with controlling the driver, so output impedance does matter with orthos, the question is just how much.
post #11448 of 18082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post

These cans have definitely been the best medicine for the head-fi upgrade-itus.

AMEN! I upgraded from Sennheiser 598 (which are great), and couldn't be happier!
post #11449 of 18082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post

These cans have definitely been the best medicine for the head-fi upgrade-itus.

 

True that. Before I bought them I was just looking for a 'placeholder' headphone to hold me over until I upgrade to a high end one, but they're definitely more than just a placeholder.

post #11450 of 18082

I must say that after hearing SO much about how "dark" these headphones sound I've been VERY pleased with them. I think its much like how Magnepan speakers may not measure well yet they just simply sound like real music. Maybe the Lyr and the tubes I'm using just work well with the HE-400's...not sure, it sounds pretty impressive/enjoyable to me. 

 

Anyone know how many hours it takes to fully burn these in? It took forever for my K701's. 

post #11451 of 18082
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLJTech View Post

I must say that after hearing SO much about how "dark" these headphones sound I've been VERY pleased with them. I think its much like how Magnepan speakers may not measure well yet they just simply sound like real music. Maybe the Lyr and the tubes I'm using just work well with the HE-400's...not sure, it sounds pretty impressive/enjoyable to me. 

 

Anyone know how many hours it takes to fully burn these in? It took forever for my K701's. 

 

As they say, planars don't need burn in. But your brain may need some time to adjust.

post #11452 of 18082
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

There can be issues with controlling the driver, so output impedance does matter with orthos, the question is just how much.


I don't want to derail the thread, so this is probably better discussed further in sound science, but I want to know why.  Everything I have found suggests that controlling the driver through electrical damping with low output impedance is only a concern where the headphones impedance varies over the frequency range.  The "ideal damping ratio" is not really relevant as I explained a couple pages back.

post #11453 of 18082
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

 

As they say, planars don't need burn in. But your brain may need some time to adjust.


Who is they? I've been running pink noise through mine for says now.  It's a membrane that moves by electric current, right? It has to have some stiffness to it out of the factory and loosen up with some use don't you think? Martin Logan panels need break in.  Can't see why these wouldn't...

post #11454 of 18082
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaxon69 View Post


Who is they? I've been running pink noise through mine for says now.  It's a membrane that moves by electric current, right? It has to have some stiffness to it out of the factory and loosen up with some use don't you think? Martin Logan panels need break in.  Can't see why these wouldn't...

If it makes you feel better, sure. biggrin.gif

 

I'm one of those guys who don't put much stock in burn-in, but compulsively do it when I get new gear anyway, just to get dat OCD off my chest.

post #11455 of 18082
Quote:
Originally Posted by haejuk View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

There can be issues with controlling the driver, so output impedance does matter with orthos, the question is just how much.


I don't want to derail the thread, so this is probably better discussed further in sound science, but I want to know why.  Everything I have found suggests that controlling the driver through electrical damping with low output impedance is only a concern where the headphones impedance varies over the frequency range.  The "ideal damping ratio" is not really relevant as I explained a couple pages back.
Will respond when I get home...
post #11456 of 18082

davidsh: Thanks.  Much appreciated smily_headphones1.gif

 

As for burn in, I don't know if there is anything to it or not.  I always felt my new headphones were better after running pink noise for about 24 hours, but I think it might be all in my head.  If it works for you, go for it!  I also tell myself that it must be due to the drivers being a little stiff from the factory.

post #11457 of 18082

I can't speak as much for headphones (though the manual for the HE-400's says 150 hours for burn in...just wondered if you guys felt differently) but I can say that Magnepan speakers certainly gain bass response with burn in. When I'm burning something in I don't listen to that speaker or headphone long enough to adjust to whatever may or may not happen while they break in/burn in.

 

With the HE-400's I played several tracks that I know very well and was pleased with what I heard. I think I was expecting them to sound rolled off and missing detail in the midrange as well and I'm sure that they do when compared to the very best but as compared to my K701's I'm very happy.

 

These sound to me to be a very good all round headphone...not meant JUST for Jazz or acoustic music. With the Lyr they have very nice dynamics and plenty of detail. 


Edited by KLJTech - 7/23/13 at 8:26am
post #11458 of 18082
I just find it so hard to believe that some don't "believe" in break in or cables. It's amazing to me that so many are too smart to fall for what so many others hear? To each his own I guess? But to admit you don't believe in it but do it anyway? That's even more bizarre!
post #11459 of 18082

If I could could compare my headphones before/after some pink noise burn-in immediately I would be able to say for sure if the pink noise made them sound better or if it was all in my head.  Sadly I have to wait a few days while the pink noise loosens up the driver or whatever.  Let's just say that I start to appreciate the sound of a headphone over the burn-in time and use some pink noise because it is free, unlike cable upgrades, and it could be what causes me to enjoy the headphones more (hey, I can't disprove it).  I am considering trying a cable upgrade though.  Just because I have never tried one and I would be able to switch back and forth to see if I feel it was worth it or not.

post #11460 of 18082
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaxon69 View Post

I just find it so hard to believe that some don't "believe" in break in or cables. It's amazing to me that so many are too smart to fall for what so many others hear? To each his own I guess? But to admit you don't believe in it but do it anyway? That's even more bizarre!

Don't start such a discussion, it isn't beneficial for anyone.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**