or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 756

post #11326 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

Go for velours and eq for a treble roll-off

 

Hmm now you say the velours are better for smooth treble? I read before that the pleathers were the best for smooth treble?

 

Which give the smoothest, least sibilant result in the mids and treble? Pleather or Velour? I can EQ as well but I am not sure if I should buy a pair of velours to replace the stock pads?

 

I want the smoothest possible sound from the HE-400 in the mids and treble, while keeping the bass and lower mids as good as possible.


Edited by nicholars - 7/16/13 at 4:39am
post #11327 of 20490

Velour seems more open, but still with less glare. They do have more treble. The best you could do, is to get one of modulors jergpads.

 

The pleathers are the smoothest sounding.

post #11328 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

Velour seems more open, but still with less glare. They do have more treble. The best you could do, is to get one of modulors jergpads.

 

The pleathers are the smoothest sounding.

 

I don't see how it can have more glare but be smoother sounding?

 

Are the jergpads the best for smooth treble?

post #11329 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

 

Are the jergpads the best for smooth treble?

IMO, yes.

post #11330 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

 

I don't see how it can have more glare but be smoother sounding?

 

Are the jergpads the best for smooth treble?


Just get the jergpads made by Modular and save yourself the time puzzling it all out with the 400's.

They are velour over pleather and they have been modded to take the edge off the problems with 400's.

post #11331 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkyNutz View Post


Just get the jergpads made by Modular and save yourself the time puzzling it all out with the 400's.

They are velour over pleather and they have been modded to take the edge off the problems with 400's.

 

Yeh I did ask but apparently they are only making 15 at the moment and there are already 15 people who want them, I was looking for any other quick mods which might make them better, maybe I should just have a go at the jerg pads myself. Although I do not really want to mess it up and destroy a pair of pads, I expect jerg and modulor have better skills than me and know what they are doing.


Edited by nicholars - 7/16/13 at 7:41am
post #11332 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

 

Yeh I did ask but apparently they are only making 15 at the moment and there are already 15 people who want them, I was looking for any other quick mods which might make them better, maybe I should just have a go at the jerg pads myself. Although I do not really want to mess it up and destroy a pair of pads, I expect jerg and modulor have better skills than me and know what they are doing.

If you are fairly handy, it's a fun little modding project.

 

The good thing about my mod is that it is in 4 discrete parts, so at any one step you could test the earpads out and evaluate for yourself if a step sounds good / if you want to bother doing more.


Edited by jerg - 7/16/13 at 7:58am
post #11333 of 20490

It doesn't look THAT hard actually, just the velour bit looks a bit tricky... In this current heat I do NOT like wearing pleather. If you just remove the foam bits and then cut the holes in the pads... What effect does that have?

 

My main concerns are reducing harshness / sibilance / glare... Although increasing the sub bass looks good as well. I would like some that have been made by someone who knows what they are doing though, because I don't actually understand what the point of cutting holes in the pads is...

 

I have not even got the HE-400 yet, should get them tomorrow, I really want to like them, even if that involves modding them, because my amount of headphone purchases and returns recently is getting out of hand lol.

 

Another question, how big is the difference between the rev 1 and rev 2 ones? The ones I have ordered have the white / slightly transparent grilles... Here is an image...

 

 


Edited by nicholars - 7/16/13 at 8:09am
post #11334 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

It doesn't look THAT hard actually, just the velour bit looks a bit tricky... In this current heat I do NOT like wearing pleather. If you just remove the foam bits and then cut the holes in the pads... What effect does that have?

 

My main concerns are reducing harshness / sibilance / glare... Although increasing the sub bass looks good as well. I would like some that have been made by someone who knows what they are doing though, because I don't actually understand what the point of cutting holes in the pads is...

 

I have not even got the HE-400 yet, should get them tomorrow, I really want to like them because my amount of headphone purchases and returns recently is getting out of hand lol.

The damping holes? They are to help damping in the midrange. It's a significant boost to midrange clarity, and brings out the upper midrange to be more in-line with the treble (perfectly well with HE500, very well with HE400).

 

If there is any step that's mandatory in the mod, it's that.

post #11335 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

It doesn't look THAT hard actually, just the velour bit looks a bit tricky... In this current heat I do NOT like wearing pleather. If you just remove the foam bits and then cut the holes in the pads... What effect does that have?

 

My main concerns are reducing harshness / sibilance / glare... Although increasing the sub bass looks good as well. I would like some that have been made by someone who knows what they are doing though, because I don't actually understand what the point of cutting holes in the pads is...

 

I have not even got the HE-400 yet, should get them tomorrow, I really want to like them, even if that involves modding them, because my amount of headphone purchases and returns recently is getting out of hand lol.

 

Another question, how big is the difference between the rev 1 and rev 2 ones? The ones I have ordered have the white / slightly transparent grilles... Here is an image...

 

 

 

The Rev 1 is almost impossible to find due to being sold out on pre-order and also having been recalled due to a high failure rate.  If the plastic around the driver is white, you're alright.  If it's black, take it back!

 

Also, I am one of the people who ordered the jerpads from modulor and I am getting an LCD2 in soon (hopefully tomorrow).  I am only keeping either the HE-400 or the LCD2 so there may(!) be a nice pair of jergpads up for sale from his first batch soon.

post #11336 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by haejuk View Post



Also, I am one of the people who ordered the jerpads from modulor and I am getting an LCD2 in soon (hopefully tomorrow).  I am only keeping either the HE-400 or the LCD2 so there may(!) be a nice pair of jergpads up for sale from his first batch soon.

I found the LCD2 to be better in every single way to the 400's....except price, and so I have the 400's. smily_headphones1.gif
post #11337 of 20490

I am going to evaluate them both for awhile after I get the jerpads and decide what has to go.  Who knows, maybe I keep both and get rid of my LA2k.  I find that no "plan" like this ever works out as expected on Head-fi, at least not for long.

post #11338 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferday View Post


I found the LCD2 to be better in every single way to the 400's....except price, and so I have the 400's. smily_headphones1.gif

 

Yeah... LCD-2 is about my endgame Headphone, but I think ill have to save up for a few years (I actually quied drinking alcohol and smoking and im putting that money away for the HP :D).

 

I calculated that in 1 full year I should be able to afford the LCD-2, and i guess ill be healthier as well :D.

 

Btw i use beyerdynamic pads for the HE-400, and while the signature is not particulary better than the plether, the comfort is amazing. I use Eq for the rest.

 

EDIT: I might wait for their closed headphones thou...


Edited by catspaw - 7/17/13 at 12:14am
post #11339 of 20490

Jerg, I read how you're liking your new AudioGD with the HE-500, but how does it perform with the HE-400 coming from the FiiO? Much of an improvement? It's actually cheaper than the M-stage + ODAC, yet has gobs more power and a high res dac to boot so Im considering selling my gear and opting for an audioGD.

post #11340 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

Jerg, I read how you're liking your new AudioGD with the HE-500, but how does it perform with the HE-400 coming from the FiiO? Much of an improvement? It's actually cheaper than the M-stage + ODAC, yet has gobs more power and a high res dac to boot so Im considering selling my gear and opting for an audioGD.

I own the SA-31 and the M-stage. The SA-31 is much more refined then the M-stage, has a deeper sound stage, and the extra power is nice to have. The M-stage is a heck of an amp for the money, but the Audio GD out classes it on all fronts.

 

BTW Kingwa likes a warm amp, you would not lose that warmth that the M-stage brings.


Edited by Fearless1 - 7/17/13 at 6:00am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**