Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 755

post #11311 of 18107

I ordered mine with the velour pads from HiFiMan after reading the comments in this thread.  There are also ways to mod some pads, but seem like a hassle to me...

post #11312 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

Hi,

 

I purchased some of these today, have not got them yet, can anyone tell me please what are the best replacement pads for these, I want the smoothest / darkest treble and as much bass and mids as possible, only thing that is worrying me about these headphones is the potentially sibilant / peaky treble, which pads keep this to a minimum?

The jerg pad mod helps enhance sub bass and tame the treble. You will likely still need the EQ though.

post #11313 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post

The jerg pad mod helps enhance sub bass and tame the treble. You will likely still need the EQ though.

 

Hmmm looks like a lot of work!

 

Are there any other simple mods to tame the treble a bit? I noticed something about putting some foam on them off the M50 or something?

 

Being as how I am pretty sensitive to sibilance and bright treble I have a feeling that this might annoy me, other than that though the HE-400 look unbeatable for the money.

post #11314 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

 

Hmmm looks like a lot of work!

 

Are there any other simple mods to tame the treble a bit? I noticed something about putting some foam on them off the M50 or something?

 

Being as how I am pretty sensitive to sibilance and bright treble I have a feeling that this might annoy me, other than that though the HE-400 look unbeatable for the money.

I recently got a pair of Beyerdynamic velours (thanks to Thujone!) and the foam inserts on those are pretty dense, so I wonder if that would make much of a difference?  It may not be good for the overall sound though, but it could be worth a try.

post #11315 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by modulor View Post

I recently got a pair of Beyerdynamic velours (thanks to Thujone!) and the foam inserts on those are pretty dense, so I wonder if that would make much of a difference?  It may not be good for the overall sound though, but it could be worth a try.

 

Good idea, seems like you can buy them as spares for almost nothing as well...

 

You mean something like this?...

 

 
Not even heard the HE400 yet, but I can pretty much guarantee I will want to lower any of this peaky treble or "glare" in the midrange as much as possible.
post #11316 of 18107

which Jergpad mod is better for this? The pleather damping mod or adding the velour top to the pleather? I'm hoping the pleather damping mod is better since it really doesn't change to looks of anything while the velour top, unless you are really good at sewing, looks a little rough

post #11317 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcherfly View Post

which Jergpad mod is better for this? The pleather damping mod or adding the velour top to the pleather? I'm hoping the pleather damping mod is better since it really doesn't change to looks of anything while the velour top, unless you are really good at sewing, looks a little rough

 

The damping mod is the meat of the jergpad. The velour top is sort of the icing on the cake.

post #11318 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by modulor View Post

I recently got a pair of Beyerdynamic velours (thanks to Thujone!) and the foam inserts on those are pretty dense, so I wonder if that would make much of a difference?  It may not be good for the overall sound though, but it could be worth a try.

It seems you and I both lack the motivation to try them on the HE-400's ourselves redface.gif (granted you are onto the HE-500's now...). From experience, I think you'll find that the thick foam dust cover will tame the treble peak but you may find that the bass gets pretty bloaty. At least, that is what I noticed from the pad rolling I did on my Q40's.

post #11319 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

 

The damping mod is the meat of the jergpad. The velour top is sort of the icing on the cake.

 

Does removing that foam ring make it any better?

 

I am thinking maybe removing the foam ring + adding some foam like that beyerdynamic thing would maybe smooth them out a bit... Anyone tried that?

post #11320 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

 

The damping mod is the meat of the jergpad. The velour top is sort of the icing on the cake.

Don't forget the sub bass vents!

post #11321 of 18107

Are all modulors Jergpads pre-ordered/sold already? Else, get one of those.

post #11322 of 18107

Are the pads for sale? If not what are the best pads or mods for the HE-400 to smooth out the sounds? Want big bass and smooth mids and treble, do not like sibilance.

 

Hmmm looking at the FR of these headphones it looks like you could just lower everything after about 7khz down by maybe 4db and the headphones would be pretty neutral, well a bit dark after 2khz but quite even, unlike something like the Vmoda M-100 for example.

post #11323 of 18107
Go for velours and eq for a treble roll-off
post #11324 of 18107

For all those confused about the power requirements of the HE-400

 

I had made a chart a while ago when I was trying to figure out what sort of power I needed to ensure playback levels of about 110 dB or more.

 

The rule of thumb says that, each time you double the amount of power to a speaker, you increase its playback by 3 dB.

 

Using that rule of thumb, the HE-400 needs about a half a watt (0.5 watts) to produce SPL reaching 120 dB - which is as loud as a gunshot and a little beyond concert levels. This is based on claimed efficiency of 92.5 db @ 1 mW. This is about what the O2 can do at max power, so that is one reason I chose that amp.

 

If anyone was foolish enough to purchase an amp that can do 4-8 watts (!) for the HE-400, theoretically they could be pushing the phones into the 130 dB range, which is just stupid. All that extra power, btw, is 'purchasing' about 9-12 dB of additional headroom.

 

If you have an amp that can do 200-500 mWs for the HE-400, you should be more or less able to push into rather extreme loudness. The only reason to go for even more power, IMHO is if you listen to a lot of movies, or classical or other recordings with high dynamic range (HDR). In those cases, the extra power is probably a good idea to ensure you can reach listening levels that are a little beyond 'good nuff'. Given that the power requirements start to get very high very fast after the 1 watt level, however, one has to be aware that the amps producing in excess of that amount are going to be very pricey!

 

This is also why buying tons of power for regular speakers (usually rated at 1 watt/X SPL), can be a real waste of money. The difference in loudness between a 50 watt amp and a 200 watt amp is really only about 6 dB (3 dB jump 50-100, 3 dB jump 100-200 watts).

 

I was going to engage with the "Tizzy" and "sibilance" topics again, but they are getting to be a dead horse! Suffice to say, there seems to be an agreement that the problems are 1) recording dependent and 2) 'fixed' in part by reducing treble in the 8-10 khz and 16 khz range. I also recommend a small cut in the 1 khz region (between 500 khz-1.2 khz). It is appropriate to distinguish between vocal sibilance and instrumental, since they are not the same thing. My instinct is that some people are confusing the two and forgetting that sibilance is not by definition a bad thing - otherwise why would we ever record cymbals for example?

post #11325 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMateoHead View Post

.................

 

I was going to engage with the "Tizzy" and "sibilance" topics again, but they are getting to be a dead horse! Suffice to say, there seems to be an agreement that the problems are 1) recording dependent and 2) 'fixed' in part by reducing treble in the 8-10 khz and 16 khz range. I also recommend a small cut in the 1 khz region (between 500 khz-1.2 khz). It is appropriate to distinguish between vocal sibilance and instrumental, since they are not the same thing. My instinct is that some people are confusing the two and forgetting that sibilance is not by definition a bad thing - otherwise why would we ever record cymbals for example

+1. I personally love the contrasting bass and treble that the 400 presents simultaneously. IMHO, the cymbals provide a refreshing "tingle" effect to the thumping bass and I don't even bother with the EQ.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**