Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 754

post #11296 of 17923
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

 

I think you're mixing two issues here. There is the sibilants issue which theoretically should apply to both female and male, and there's the 'tizzy' issue which seems to be from female vocals. I can't really speak about the tizziness because since doing the jergpad mod + eq I don't hear it anymore, but it's been mentioned a lot in the past in this thread.

Can you explain the difference here? Sibilance vs. tizziness?

post #11297 of 17923
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

 

You're right, it was.  I'm sorry for that.

 

The fact that I've become tired of the countless number of people who share the same stubborn archaic purist attitude and refuse to help, I'm not sorry for that.  Take that at face value.  It's nothing against you personally, it's very well my annoyance at a larger group of people.


I see your point.  I have the same issue with all the "don't believe in burn in, don't believe in high end cables, EQ using, long winded review only to end with "it's my primary gaming headphone" type posts i see here on this site constantly.  Different generations maybe?

 

Hey I see you have DT990 600ohm in you collection as well as the HE-400, if you listen to them "unmolested" haha! what do you think about the upper register sound between them?


Edited by jmsaxon69 - 7/15/13 at 8:18am
post #11298 of 17923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post

Can you explain the difference here? Sibilance vs. tizziness?

 

It's a little hard to explain, sort of like a hollowness in the female vocal (maybe because of the upper mid dip?). That with the sibilants makes female vocals seem off.

 

It's been discussed to death in this thread, you'll probably find a better explanation by someone else.


Edited by beaver316 - 7/15/13 at 8:21am
post #11299 of 17923
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaxon69 View Post


I see your point.  I have the same issue with all the "don't believe in burn in, don't believe in high end cables, EQ using, long winded review only to end with "it's my primary gaming headphone" type posts i see here on this site constantly.  Different generations maybe?

 

Hey I see you have DT990 600ohm in you collection as well as the HE-400, if you listen to them "unmolested" haha! what do you think about the upper register sound between them?

 

 

Oh I'm definitely in the camp of 'don't believe in burn-in and high-end cables,' but I'll not get into that. wink.gif

 

 

I had the DT990 600, not anymore.  Only the bolded items are the things I currently have.  I only got to compare my old DT990 600 to the HE-400 one time, and it wasn't very long.  DT990 600 has a broader treble spike (I guess at that point it would be called a plateau), while the HE-400 is more of a spike centered around 12-13khz.  You'll hear the elevated treble of the DT990 in more material than the HE-400, but both have the proclivity to become really painful if the recording calls for it.  There's a distinct timbre difference between the two headphones.  To me DT990 can be described as cold whereas the HE-400 can be described as overly warm.

post #11300 of 17923
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

 

It's a little hard to explain, sort of like a hollowness in the female vocal (maybe because of the upper mid dip?). That with the sibilants makes female vocals seem off.

 

It's been discussed to death in this thread, you'll probably find a better explanation by someone else.

Hmmm. Well, you know how it is. We got a novel of a HE-400 thread going on here and I'm definitely one to take shortcuts.

 

I've done a fair amount of searching and I haven't found a good description for why females causing more sibilance than males.


Edited by Thujone - 7/15/13 at 8:36am
post #11301 of 17923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post

Hmmm. Well, you know how it is. We got a novel of a HE-400 thread going on here and I'm definitely one to take shortcuts.

 

I've done a fair amount of searching and I haven't found a good description for why females causing more sibilance than males.

 

I believe that's recording-dependent. 

post #11302 of 17923
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

 

I believe that's recording-dependent. 

I dunno, I just see a lot of complaint in this thread regarding female vocals. They aren't very present, they're too sibilant, there is no body, etc. etc.

 

I'm looking at the frequency response graph, and I'm looking at the audible range for a human being, and I'm still throwing up question marks. Sure, the very topmost section of the female vocal range is slightly recessed, but my god, surely not everyone is listening to vocals between 1k and 2kHz?

post #11303 of 17923

It's all that damn EQ'ing people are doing! It's messing up the quality of the signal! Or the cheap Radio Shack interconnects most of you use! haha!

post #11304 of 17923

^ ^ Not sure if you're trolling, but that's most definitely not it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post

I dunno, I just see a lot of complaint in this thread regarding female vocals. They aren't very present, they're too sibilant, there is no body, etc. etc.

 

I'm looking at the frequency response graph, and I'm looking at the audible range for a human being, and I'm still throwing up question marks. Sure, the very topmost section of the female vocal range is slightly recessed, but my god, surely not everyone is listening to vocals between 1k and 2kHz?

 

It's a little puzzling but oh well, Im just happy there are fixes for these problems.

post #11305 of 17923
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

^ ^ Not sure if you're trolling, but that's most definitely not it.

 

 

It's a little puzzling but oh well, Im just happy there are fixes for these problems.

I've been using jergs for most of the time I've owned the HE-400, so you're probably right about the problem being fixed.

post #11306 of 17923

A tizz sound like 'tzzz'. Hi-hats often sound tizzy on HE-400. Sibilance is more like 'sss'. Tizzyness is found at higher frequencies than sibilance.

 

I think the reason female vocals often are more sibilant, is because female vocals are often highly processed, that is the only explanation I can come up with. It makes sense to me.  Can you post some examples?

 

Anyway, ask a recording engineer or something, apparently no one in this thread really knows.

 

Another thing that potentially can make the HE-400 fatigueing is the actual vocal range, which is enhanced at 1 kHz, but drops a lot after that. I think that can be fatigueing for some.

post #11307 of 17923
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

^ ^ Not sure if you're trolling, but that's most definitely not it.

 

It's just a little  joke based on the last few posts about EQ'ing and other things.  People need to relax and have some fun around here, it's just audio and it's just opinions, nothing serious enough to get worked up about.  And so i need to say "not that you are getting worked up" or all hell will fly...

post #11308 of 17923
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaxon69 View Post

It's just a little  joke based on the last few posts about EQ'ing and other things.  People need to relax and have some fun around here, it's just audio and it's just opinions, nothing serious enough to get worked up about.  And so i need to say "not that you are getting worked up" or all hell will fly...

 

Nah it's cool dude, I just couldn't really tell if you were joking or serious haha.

post #11309 of 17923
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

 

I think the reason female vocals often are more sibilant, is because female vocals are often highly processed, that is the only explanation I can come up with. It makes sense to me. 

This is the only explanation that I've gotten that seems to make sense to me. Still though, considering all the gripe on this thread, people need to listen to more female vocals that aren't as highly processed!!

post #11310 of 17923

Hi,

 

I purchased some of these today, have not got them yet, can anyone tell me please what are the best replacement pads for these, I want the smoothest / darkest treble and as much bass and mids as possible, only thing that is worrying me about these headphones is the potentially sibilant / peaky treble, which pads keep this to a minimum?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**