Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 752

post #11266 of 20175
Quote:
Originally Posted by catspaw View Post

Im not sure i could agree with this (the table).

While the HE-400 run great off my Schiit Asgard (max 1 W, but im quite sure it has some headroom as it can deliver 1 W even if you get some strong dynamic swing), my Fiio E17 dosent really run that well, even when USB plugged into the PC (note that the E17 I have runs a lot louder as DAC+AMP when USB plugged  rather than my Mp3+E17 as amp only).

 

Id say if id have to give the HE-400 a power requirement id rate them between 650mW and 900mW.

Good to know the minimum requirements you think for 400s.I'll bear it in mind when buying a smaller second amp. I think that table was actually provided by Hifiman during an interview about the line.

post #11267 of 20175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaxon69 View Post


If you are talking about EQ'ing it ain't gonna happen, haven't used an EQ since I was a in high school (1986), so I may be moving through the HE-400 pretty quickly.

 

Unless you're listening through a cd player or something other than your computer, you have no reason not to EQ.

post #11268 of 20175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

 

Unless you're listening through a cd player or something other than your computer, you have no reason not to EQ.


Do you think that the EQ on your computer has no effect on the sound quality?

post #11269 of 20175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaxon69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

 

Unless you're listening through a cd player or something other than your computer, you have no reason not to EQ.


Do you think that the EQ on your computer has no effect on the sound quality?

I think so.

post #11270 of 20175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaxon69 View Post


Do you think that the EQ on your computer has no effect on the sound quality?

 

A simple treble rolloff?  Little to none.

 

What's more, is if one were to define distortion as anything deviating from the norm, then the treble spike of the HE-400 is a distortion and a treble rolloff helps mitigate that distortion.

post #11271 of 20175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

 

A simple treble rolloff?  Little to none.

 

What's more, is if one were to define distortion as anything deviating from the norm, then the treble spike of the HE-400 is a distortion and a treble rolloff helps mitigate that distortion.


I never use EQ's, they are another level of "stuff" between the recording and your ear.  What do you use?

post #11272 of 20175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaxon69 View Post


I never use EQ's, they are another level of "stuff" between the recording and your ear.

 

 

Oh god.

post #11273 of 20175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaxon69 View Post

I never use EQ's, they are another level of "stuff" between the recording and your ear.  What do you use?

You don't want to know what sound engineers do in the recording process then... We are pretty much only talking -2dB at 8 kHz and -5dB at 16 kHz or something like that, so you can use pretty much any EQ. Personally, I like to use a parametric EQ.


Edited by davidsh - 7/15/13 at 7:12am
post #11274 of 20175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

 

 

Oh god.


Is that the program you use?

post #11275 of 20175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaxon69 View Post


Is that the program you use?

 

 

I'm done talking with you, you're melting my brain.

post #11276 of 20175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

 

 

I'm done talking with you, you're melting my brain.


Wow, I am trying to have a conversation and ask you what you use and you are kind of being a jerk.  Did I immediately jump to "you have no idea what you are doing and no REAL audiophiles use EQ's? No I didn't...I am asking you a simple question.

post #11277 of 20175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaxon69 View Post

Wow, I am trying to have a conversation and ask you what you use and you are kind of being a jerk.  Did I immediately jump to "you have no idea what you are doing and no REAL audiophiles use EQ's? No I didn't...I am asking you a simple question.

He probably thought you were trolling/provoking by suggesting 'Oh god.' should be an EQ, which I am positive you know it isn't, so maybe you are deliberatly trying to be annoying?

post #11278 of 20175

You hit me with the 'I never use EQ, it's another thing between the recording and the ear' line, you didn't even add an 'imo' into it. I don't really have much to say in response to that.  It's difficult to persuade people who have that much of a needless purist mentality.  The sarcastic response to my 'oh god' didn't help either.

 

 

Go ahead and get the HD650 if the HE-400 isn't for you.  It's a great headphone.


Edited by TMRaven - 7/15/13 at 7:22am
post #11279 of 20175
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

He probably thought you were trolling/provoking by suggesting 'Oh god.' should be an EQ, which I am positive you know it isn't, so maybe you are deliberatly trying to be annoying?


and Oh God as a reply to me wasn't?

post #11280 of 20175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaxon69 View Post

I never use EQ's, they are another level of "stuff" between the recording and your ear.  What do you use?

 

In all honesty, if one does not listen to a lot of female vocalists, then maybe to choose not to EQ is an option.  However, if one does listen to a lot of female vocalists, then I believe (IMO) it is a must to EQ with the HE-400s due to the sibilants.  If one simply refuses to IQ, but loves the voices of the female singers, then the HE-500 is a great option, but does cost $300 more.

 

This simply is one item that drove me nuts with the HE-400.  I guess if I had purged all female artists from my music collection, then the HE-400 (or, all 3 pair) would have been a good fit for me.  But, I will say, the HE-400 is one heck of a "teaser" headphone for the price. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**