Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 750

post #11236 of 17922

You may be able to get a little epoxy in there, then just try to push the insulation back up into the Y junction.

post #11237 of 17922

Could someone tell me whether a Sansa Fuze could properly power these things? I've read about how the Sansa line of mp3 players actually has fairly powerful headphone amps, and I know these are supposed to be easy to drive but actually do scale up with more power. Any thoughts? 

post #11238 of 17922
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh****gorillas View Post

Could someone tell me whether a Sansa Fuze could properly power these things? I've read about how the Sansa line of mp3 players actually has fairly powerful headphone amps, and I know these are supposed to be easy to drive but actually do scale up with more power. Any thoughts? 

i don't have a fuze to try but i have my doubts despite sansa's power advantage over ipod...even at 100% volume my ipod does not go even close to loud enough for some sessions and has a generally weak presentation.  you don't need a lot of amp though, my e17 provides more than enough power, even the cheapest cmoy amp should do the trick


Edited by ferday - 7/12/13 at 6:21pm
post #11239 of 17922

I am planning on purchasing an He-400, but stumbled upon the Dt990 pro + Bottlehead crack w/ speedball combo. I'm unsure of which to get, and therefore need someone's assistance in deciding. Assuming that I would purchase a Schiit magni with the He-400, which headphone would give a better overall sound quality? I seem to like the sound signature of the Dt990 (cousin owns them) and from what I've read I'd also enjoy the sound signature of the He-400 as well as the ability to claim they're "planar magnetic" headphones :)

 

Another option would be to buy the AKG K702 Anniversary edition... Any suggestions?


Edited by Nimzerz - 7/12/13 at 8:54pm
post #11240 of 17922
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh****gorillas View Post

Could someone tell me whether a Sansa Fuze could properly power these things? I've read about how the Sansa line of mp3 players actually has fairly powerful headphone amps, and I know these are supposed to be easy to drive but actually do scale up with more power. Any thoughts? 


You'll need an amplifier.

post #11241 of 17922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniping View Post

Try some tape? 

Got some electrical tape on it now, I'll see how that lasts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modulor View Post

You may be able to get a little epoxy in there, then just try to push the insulation back up into the Y junction.

If I'm stopping by a store that sells epoxy I'll grab some otherwise I don't have any around the house redface.gif

post #11242 of 17922
I can get plenty of volume through my iPhone with the HE-500
post #11243 of 17922
Volume is only half the battle, if not less.

Quality!!
post #11244 of 17922

I own a pair of HE400's and wonder how they  compare to Mad Dogs version of the Fostex headphones which are similar in being a planar design like the HE400s, has anyone done a comparison between the two?

post #11245 of 17922

TMRaven has an extensive comparison between the two somewhere in this thread.

post #11246 of 17922
Quote:
Originally Posted by earphiler View Post

Volume is only half the battle, if not less.

Quality!!


Wasn't the question though was it?

post #11247 of 17922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniping View Post

TMRaven has an extensive comparison between the two somewhere in this thread.

 

This, but I'll point out a few points about them based on other's opinion on this forum. To make it clear I've never heard the Mad Dog, only the HE-400.

 

HE-400 attributes

 

- Top shelf bass, no competitor at this price point

- Very open sound stage with great imaging

- Very clear and detailed

- Slight upper mids recession

- Pretty hefty treble peak at ~10Khz

 

Mad Dog attributes

 

- Also very good bass, but not quite on HE400's level

- Quite open sounding for a closed headphone, but no comparison to HE-400 here

- Full sounding mids with no recession like HE-400 upper mids

- Very smooth throughout the spectrum, no peaks.

 

Just some points I've gathered through this site from the top of my head, Im sure im missing a lot here. For me the HE-400's flaws can be fixed with a little EQ (treble peak), but the Mad dog's can't (boxed in sound in comparison), that's why I'd pick the HE-400 over the MD. The upper mids recession is a total non issue for me.


Edited by beaver316 - 7/13/13 at 11:07am
post #11248 of 17922

Just tried my HE-500 with my iphone 4. I can indeed get more volume than I'd use under normal circumstances, without distortion that is. As far as I know, the amp in the iphone has lower output than most of the bigger ipod models, but I'm not sure.

EDIT: Actually, I can't find any information on the internal iphone amp.


Edited by davidsh - 7/13/13 at 12:36pm
post #11249 of 17922

You can look at the headphone's specs to determine whether or not you will get enough volume out of a source.  For example an LCD2 is something like 90 dB/1 mW.  This means it can get usefully loud on almost any source, but generally you won't get the same dynamic response as when they have more power.

 

I just looked up the HE-500 and it has almost the same sensitivity as the LCD2 at 89dB/mW.  The LCD2 site specifies that the optimal power to be put into them as 1W - 4W, but sadly I can't find any similar power recomendations for HE-400 and HE-500 on the Hifiman website. 

 

Basically, if there isn't enough power you will have enough volume but the frequency response will probably be rolled off on both ends.  Someone please feel free to correct me if this is wrong as I am no electrical engineer or anything.

post #11250 of 17922
Quote:
Originally Posted by haejuk View Post

You can look at the headphone's specs to determine whether or not you will get enough volume out of a source.  For example an LCD2 is something like 90 dB/1 mW.  This means it can get usefully loud on almost any source, but generally you won't get the same dynamic response as when they have more power.

 

I just looked up the HE-500 and it has almost the same sensitivity as the LCD2 at 89dB/mW.  The LCD2 site specifies that the optimal power to be put into them as 1W - 4W, but sadly I can't find any similar power recomendations for HE-400 and HE-500 on the Hifiman website. 

 

Basically, if there isn't enough power you will have enough volume but the frequency response will probably be rolled off on both ends.  Someone please feel free to correct me if this is wrong as I am no electrical engineer or anything.

The HE-500 is most likely less sensitive than the specs. Just looked it up, Tyll measured his HE-500 to 47 ohms and 87dB/mW. So in this case it needs twice the juice to get as loud as the lcd2 if the specs of 'em are correct (he measured the lcd2 rev. 2 to 90,6 db/mW and 58 ohms). Don't know who else has measured on the 'phones, but I think the general consensus is, that the hifimans mostly aren't up to specs in that regard.

 

I doubt the frequency response will roll off when an amp is pushed? What will happen, though, is that the harmonic distortion slowly will rise, and then all of a sudden sky-rocket, resulting in amp distortion/clipping.

 

In reality 1W isn't really required for either headphones with most recordings. The numbers from Audeze is based on, that the amp should be able to deliver at least what corresponds to 120dB sound pressure with the lcd2. You will probably not get that high if you listen at a sane volume, but with very dynamic recordings and fairly loud listening volume, you could probably get up there. With most classic recordings with some dynamic range, if you are listening at 80dB average, you would probably range between peaks around 90-105dB in some cases maybe even higher. 

 

I guess it's all about headroom...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**