Originally Posted by Sniping
TMRaven has an extensive comparison between the two somewhere in this thread.
This, but I'll point out a few points about them based on other's opinion on this forum. To make it clear I've never heard the Mad Dog, only the HE-400.
- Top shelf bass, no competitor at this price point
- Very open sound stage with great imaging
- Very clear and detailed
- Slight upper mids recession
- Pretty hefty treble peak at ~10Khz
Mad Dog attributes
- Also very good bass, but not quite on HE400's level
- Quite open sounding for a closed headphone, but no comparison to HE-400 here
- Full sounding mids with no recession like HE-400 upper mids
- Very smooth throughout the spectrum, no peaks.
Just some points I've gathered through this site from the top of my head, Im sure im missing a lot here. For me the HE-400's flaws can be fixed with a little EQ (treble peak), but the Mad dog's can't (boxed in sound in comparison), that's why I'd pick the HE-400 over the MD. The upper mids recession is a total non issue for me.
Edited by beaver316 - 7/13/13 at 11:07am