Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 748

post #11206 of 17076
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiserFS View Post

Sure enjoying them! Would adding a Audio-Gd C2C amp to the chain improve them furthermore? Heard they scale pretty well.

 

I don't think they sell it anymore, but for its original price (300$) you can have the NFB-11.32, which includes a great DAC chip (ES9018):

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB11.32/NFB11.32EN.htm

 

Its only disadvantage is that the built-in amplifier can't be used standalone.

The DAC output can be taken to another amplifier though.

 

It sounds AMAZING with HE-400 (or any other headphone I own).

post #11207 of 17076

There's actually a C2C on eBay right now that I'm bidding on. Licked blood with the HE-400 and might upgrade to the HE-500 or HE-6 sometime, so a standalone amp would be nice I guess.

Besides that I really enjoy my NFB-5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF View Post

 

I don't think they sell it anymore, but for its original price (300$) you can have the NFB-11.32, which includes a great DAC chip (ES9018):

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB11.32/NFB11.32EN.htm

 

Its only disadvantage is that the built-in amplifier can't be used standalone.

The DAC output can be taken to another amplifier though.

 

It sounds AMAZING with HE-400 (or any other headphone I own).

 

Gonna bid for a while on the amp and report my findings if they improve with a separate amp. Heck, if not - I can always sell the C2C. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Meh...the he400 is one of the easiest orthos to drive. You'll get some improvement with more power but I wouldn't chase it for this headphone. Now the he-4...or the he-6...get all the power you can afford. 


Edited by reiserFS - 7/7/13 at 4:21pm
post #11208 of 17076
Once you go ortho, you don't go back.

edit: yey 200th post!
post #11209 of 17076
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

Going from the e17 DAC to my new DAC was pretty much around half the upgrade going from e17 amp to my other amplifier if I have to quantify it. Price was the same of both DAC and amp...
In general you can expect more realism in the soundstaging, and a bit more resolution, along with more clarity. I see it as a necessary step if you want to perfect the sound of your system, but not anything that is necessary to enjoy any headphone that is not ultra hi-end. If I were you, I would have a hard time deciding whether I should upgrade DAC or amp.

Well, the thing is that the AMP unit has enought power already for the HE-400, and even thou i understand that better amps might be more refined, I would upgrade the amp only if i was selling all my equipment to get the next upgrade (wich i dont feel at this point will be required).

However you did answer my main question, in general terms. Thx. I am guessing that with the HE-400 the Bifrost to Gungnir and Gungnir to Yddgrasil Jumps would not be such a huge improvment as.... lets say the sennheiser HD800, am i correct?

 

If so, I guess ill just get the uber bifrost, and if someday i get a better paid job that allows me to afford a higher end system, then ill consider it.

post #11210 of 17076
You are correct.
post #11211 of 17076
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by earphiler View Post

Once you go ortho, you don't go back.

edit: yey 200th post!

 

We'll celebrate when you've hit 2000. tongue.gif jk...congrats beerchug.gif

post #11212 of 17076
Haha wow you've racked them up (posts)

I've been a member for a while but not too active til I was in the market for a new pair of cans to replace my hd595s+udac2hp over holidays biggrin.gif
post #11213 of 17076
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

We'll celebrate when you've hit 2000. tongue.gif jk...congrats beerchug.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by earphiler View Post

Haha wow you've racked them up (posts)

I've been a member for a while but not too active til I was in the market for a new pair of cans to replace my hd595s+udac2hp over holidays biggrin.gif

At your current pace robots will rule the earth by the time you've hit your 2000th post.

post #11214 of 17076

I'd like to wish my HE-400's a happy 1st birthday today and thank them for curing my upgrade-itus!

post #11215 of 17076
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBuck View Post

I'd like to wish my HE-400's a happy 1st birthday today and thank them for curing my upgrade-itus!

Cool. What are your impressions of them after a year of ownership?

post #11216 of 17076
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post

Cool. What are your impressions of them after a year of ownership?

I couldn't be happier.  I went through a few pairs looking for the elusive perfect headphone for me.  I started with the Audio Technica M-50's.  I liked them but the bass bleed into the mids and they got bogged down during fast/complex passages.  I moved on to the Grado 325is.  I liked them as well, but the sound wasn't as full as I ideally would like.  Enter the Senn HD-600's.  I also liked them but they were a little too bland for my taste.  

 

Finally I arrived at the HE-400's.  They have the big bass like the M-50's, but not bloated or slow.  The speed and attack is there like the Grado's  and a balanced sound like the HD-600's.  Also, the detail retrieval and instrument separation is better on HE-400's than any of my previous phones.  I find the sound stage to be the most wide/deep and most natural of any of the headphones I've listened to, as well.  A lot of people say the HE-400 has a harsh treble, but I find it great.  Coming from the Grado's, the treble is more refined but still has the bite I loved about the Grado's.  

 

In the end, I sold all my other phones.  The only slight complaint I could make is:  Occasionally, I find a song where I wished the vocals were a little more up front.  However, those songs are few and far between.

 

At some point, I might go with an XLR balanced cable if I can find a copper/silver hybrid that wouldn't further brighten the sound.  Other than that, I haven't felt the need to upgrade.  My wallet thanks the HE-400's for that.

post #11217 of 17076
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBuck View Post

I couldn't be happier.  I went through a few pairs looking for the elusive perfect headphone for me.  I started with the Audio Technica M-50's.  I liked them but the bass bleed into the mids and they got bogged down during fast/complex passages.  I moved on to the Grado 325is.  I liked them as well, but the sound wasn't as full as I ideally would like.  Enter the Senn HD-600's.  I also liked them but they were a little too bland for my taste.  

 

Finally I arrived at the HE-400's.  They have the big bass like the M-50's, but not bloated or slow.  The speed and attack is there like the Grado's  and a balanced sound like the HD-600's.  Also, the detail retrieval and instrument separation is better on HE-400's than any of my previous phones.  I find the sound stage to be the most wide/deep and most natural of any of the headphones I've listened to, as well.  A lot of people say the HE-400 has a harsh treble, but I find it great.  Coming from the Grado's, the treble is more refined but still has the bite I loved about the Grado's.  

 

In the end, I sold all my other phones.  The only slight complaint I could make is:  Occasionally, I find a song where I wished the vocals were a little more up front.  However, those songs are few and far between.

 

At some point, I might go with an XLR balanced cable if I can find a copper/silver hybrid that wouldn't further brighten the sound.  Other than that, I haven't felt the need to upgrade.  My wallet thanks the HE-400's for that.

Wow thanks for the thoughtful/honest write up. biggrin.gif

post #11218 of 17076
I too love my He-400's, 7 months into the upgrade.

very pleased.
post #11219 of 17076

my amp-building project has been put on indefinite hold, probably another year or two thanks to work arrangements

 

so...i really want to have a desktop amp in the meantime.  i'm running an E17 right now which is fine with the 400's, but i want desktop and a little bit more power to boot.  so...anyone here have a recommendation for me, for the he400's?  i'm looking at the fiio e9 (since it would integrate well), the schiit magni and the schiit asgaard 2 but open to anything.  my price limit ideally is the asgaard ($250 ish) since i will end up building my B-22 eventually

 

thanks head-fi'rs!

 

FWIW i've read a lot of reviews and threads on all of the above amps, and a few others...so personal experiences would be great

post #11220 of 17076

I'm running a Audio-GD NFB-5 right now and it's doing mighty fine, truly a beast and build like a tank. Afaik, there's even one for sale in the FS forums right now. Great synergy with the HE-400.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferday View Post

my amp-building project has been put on indefinite hold, probably another year or two thanks to work arrangements

 

so...i really want to have a desktop amp in the meantime.  i'm running an E17 right now which is fine with the 400's, but i want desktop and a little bit more power to boot.  so...anyone here have a recommendation for me, for the he400's?  i'm looking at the fiio e9 (since it would integrate well), the schiit magni and the schiit asgaard 2 but open to anything.  my price limit ideally is the asgaard ($250 ish) since i will end up building my B-22 eventually

 

thanks head-fi'rs!

 

FWIW i've read a lot of reviews and threads on all of the above amps, and a few others...so personal experiences would be great

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**