or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 735

post #11011 of 21637

Coming late, but there it is, my system:

 

*

 

He-400, asgard, e17. Its like a drug, noone can resist the question "one more song?" .

 

Thx to fang and jason for such an amazing expirience.

 

Forza audio works cable, beyer pads.


Edited by catspaw - 6/21/13 at 11:33am
post #11012 of 21637
Quote:
Originally Posted by catspaw View Post

Coming late, but there it is, my system:

 

*

 

He-400, asgard, e17. Its like a drug, noone can resist the question "one more song?" .

 

Thx to fang and jason for such an amazing expirience

This is how I feel with both the HE-400 and HE-500...they're responsible for many a late night. biggrin.gif  So many songs, so little time...

post #11013 of 21637

Apologies for not reading all 736 pages (yet), but how do HE-400 sound with Burson HA-160 or HA-160D?

 

I am sure there must be someone out there who has heard this combo, but the original HA-160D thread seems to be deleted and I am currently working my way through this thread.

post #11014 of 21637

My poor HE400's :(

Can't find a headband for sale anywhere... Anyone know of a solution? Need these up and running badly!!

post #11015 of 21637
Quote:
Originally Posted by scizzro View Post

My poor HE400's :(

Can't find a headband for sale anywhere... Anyone know of a solution? Need these up and running badly!!

Send an email to Zhang Lu via message@head-direct.com (HiFiMan Customer Service) - I was quoted $30 for the entire headband assembly, plus $17.5 Shipping to the US.  It's a bummer, but cheaper than sending the whole thing in for repair/replacement.

post #11016 of 21637
Quote:
Originally Posted by modulor View Post

Send an email to Zhang Lu via message@head-direct.com (HiFiMan Customer Service) - I was quoted $30 for the entire headband assembly, plus $17.5 Shipping to the US.  It's a bummer, but cheaper than sending the whole thing in for repair/replacement.

Great! Sent the message already. Thanks for the help. And yeah that's not cheap but the longer I live without them the more I want them again! 

post #11017 of 21637
Quote:
Originally Posted by scizzro View Post

Great! Sent the message already. Thanks for the help. And yeah that's not cheap but the longer I live without them the more I want them again! 

Yeah, I knew it was a known manufacturing issue so I had emailed them a few weeks back out of curiosity.  The other option seems to be sending the whole headphone to them for repair/replacement which is apparently $110.  Now, if these are still under warranty (definitely check to make sure) then you may be able to get it repaired for free, or they may send you the headband assembly for free...worth a try!

post #11018 of 21637
Quote:
Originally Posted by scizzro View Post

My poor HE400's :(

Can't find a headband for sale anywhere... Anyone know of a solution? Need these up and running badly!!

Is this a common failure on the HE models? There's also some sort of weak point on all headphones. What are the common ones on these?

post #11019 of 21637
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

Is this a common failure on the HE models? There's also some sort of weak point on all headphones. What are the common ones on these?

This is really all I've noticed, but considering the entire assembly is $30, using screws into plastic like it does it makes sense.  If they put an extra $20 into making it with better materials it would most definitely be worth it.  Honestly, even if they invest $2 into using brass screw inserts it would make a big difference in durability.  Having said that, I've never considered my HE-500 (or HE-400) fragile, I think this is more of a QC problem really.  Of course I handle them like a baby, because they are my baby tongue.gif but this is the only weak spot I can think of, everything else is solid.

post #11020 of 21637
Quote:
Originally Posted by scizzro View Post

My poor HE400's :(

Can't find a headband for sale anywhere... Anyone know of a solution? Need these up and running badly!!

You could easily glue this together with good two components glue. That seems like more than enough surface area. It's cheap, and you could always order another headband.

post #11021 of 21637
We're these rough handled? I see the leather being ripped off the headband. If mine falls off like that then I know for sure these are fragile as I'm really careful with my headphones. I adjust the headband with the headphone lying on the cloth bag on a flat surface. Man I be torn to see one of my headphone to look like that.
post #11022 of 21637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraguh View Post

I want to buy the HE-400's for listening to edm and gaming, but I am unsure of what else I need to buy to make the full use of them and have Virtual 5.1 (or 7.1 if it's any good). I've seen in Mad Lust Envy's thread that he connects from his console to the Astro Mixamp to his e17, but that is just for gaming. Right now I have an old Creative Sound Blaster Titanium Fatality Pro that outputs optical to my Astro Mixamp. AFAIK my computer is outputting Dolby 5.1 and the Mixamp is also creating it's own simulated virtual surround and feeding that to my headphones right now.
 
I want to be able to use my HE-400's and have virtual surround sound from my games and at the same time be able to fully utilize lossless and FLAC audio. Will I need a better sound card, a high quality DAC, and a high quality amp? And if I do need any of those, what exact products would be best for me? They would be used strictly at my desk so nothing portable is necessary.
 
Edit: I feel like I just had an epiphany that my question was actually pretty stupid. It obviously should work if I go soundcard optical --> mixamp --> o2 amp --> headphones. The only question I have is: will my sound card or mixamp bottleneck my FLAC or lossless files?

Do NOT use the Mixamp for anything other than gaming and Dolby Digital enabled movies. You should NOT use it as a dac or amp for music, ever.
post #11023 of 21637
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeffect View Post

We're these rough handled? I see the leather being ripped off the headband. If mine falls off like that then I know for sure these are fragile as I'm really careful with my headphones. I adjust the headband with the headphone lying on the cloth bag on a flat surface. Man I be torn to see one of my headphone to look like that.

Yeah it looks snapped off.

 

There was a recent similar HE500 case with photos, but that "fell off", where there was no headband leather ripping, and no plastic bits remaining on the headband.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/551345/hifiman-he-500-he-as-in-high-end-please-post-your-impressions-proving-to-be-a-great-headphone-and-standing-the-test-of-time/5550#post_9535045

post #11024 of 21637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post


Do NOT use the Mixamp for anything other than gaming and Dolby Digital enabled movies. You should NOT use it as a dac or amp for music, ever.

So, it is that bad?

post #11025 of 21637
The Mixamp isn't meant to be used as an audiophile dac or amp. It's pretty barebones for those uses, it doesn't have a legit line out. Just....don't. If there were any legit audiophile level alternatives with Dolby Headphone or comparable virtual surround DSP, I'd jump on that right away. Beyerdynamic headzone is $1200, and has a ridiculously high 100ohm output impedance. Then there is the other headtracking device that is like twice that price. External devices just don't exist. Soundcards like the Asus Essence STX are legit, but it's an internal PC device...

Asus made those two audiophile grade dac/amps, but neither have virtual surround options, which makes me a very sad panda.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 6/22/13 at 1:08am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**