Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 74

post #1096 of 18312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmollusk View Post

I already own the hd650, but I may sell the hd800 all the same, unless of course, I can eq it to my satisfaction. Whoa. Who am I kidding here! I'll never sell the hd800! And you know what? The he400s aren't going anywhere either. And if you people keep tempting me with talk of the He-6, I might just lose it altogether and buy them too (Where's Matt when you need him?). I already suspect that I'm a headphone addict, and if I don't put myself in check soon, I'll no doubt end up homeless, without friends, estranged from all family, with only a suitcase full of headphones to keep me company. biggrin.gif

 

That wouldn't be so bad...

post #1097 of 18312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmollusk View Post

I already own the hd650, but I may sell the hd800 all the same, unless of course, I can eq it to my satisfaction. Whoa. Who am I kidding here! I'll never sell the hd800! And you know what? The he400s aren't going anywhere either. And if you people keep tempting me with talk of the He-6, I might just lose it altogether and buy them too (Where's Matt when you need him?). I already suspect that I'm a headphone addict, and if I don't put myself in check soon, I'll no doubt end up homeless, without friends, estranged from all family, with only a suitcase full of headphones to keep me company. biggrin.gif

How do the HE-400 compare to your HD650, and which one do you like better?

post #1098 of 18312
Thread Starter 

The protector of the wallet and the champion of reason is here!! Honestly, I can't say that I've been any better at curbing my passion for this habit. Just a few months ago, I sat at my desk and looked at six very nice headphones. I've managed a reality check and have got it down to a single pair. I may have over done it a little, so I've got to add  one more pair and have a nice set of complimentary hp's. Trying to make a final decision now.

post #1099 of 18312
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

The protector of the wallet and the champion of reason is here!! Honestly, I can't say that I've been any better at curbing my passion for this habit. Just a few months ago, I sat at my desk and looked at six very nice headphones. I've managed a reality check and have got it down to a single pair. I may have over done it a little, so I've got to add  one more pair and have a nice set of complimentary hp's. Trying to make a final decision now.

 

Just get the HE-400s again biggrin.gif

post #1100 of 18312
Thread Starter 

They are at the top of the list actually. It's looking like this:

 

1. He400

2. Custom modded fostex

 

 

I'm set on the hd650. Don't want to give it up under any circumstances. So the second pair needs to complement the first. Is the he400 complimentary enough? The sub bass of the he400 would certainly work. But I'd have two open hp's. I have the lyr and have no plans to change it. The he400 would get a nice boost from the lyr. 

 

The modded fostex gives me a closed ortho. Also a nice complement.

 

Hhmm...blink.gif


Edited by MattTCG - 10/17/12 at 7:08pm
post #1101 of 18312
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheuh View Post

How do the HE-400 compare to your HD650, and which one do you like better?

 

Now that's a hard question to answer. I like them both equally. The he400 has a better soundstage and images better to my ears, and, oh, let me not forget, it also has much better sub bass. On the other hand, the hd650 has more mid bass energy, which can be psychoacoustically very very satisfying. Both headphones are fantastic for male vocals. The hd650, however, is much  better for female vocals. Both headphones, of course, are on the darker side of sound, but the he400 has just a touch of brightness up top. In short: these headphones are both fantastic and I hope I never have to choose between them. 

post #1102 of 18312
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

They are at the top of the list actually. It's looking like this:

 

1. He400

2. Custom modded fostex

 

 

I'm set on the hd650. Don't want to give it up under any circumstances. So the second pair needs to complement the first. Is the he400 complimentary enough? The sub bass of the he400 would certainly work. But I'd have to open hp's. I have the lyr and have no plans to change it. The he400 would get a nice boost from the lyr. 

 

The modded fostex gives me a closed ortho. Also a nice complement.

 

Hhmm...blink.gif

 

The HE-400 is a perfect complement to the HD650! It's got epic sub bass and crisp detail retrieval. They really sound incredible with the Lyr. I mean, it rocks.

post #1103 of 18312

I'd go all out and get something with bass that doesn't rolloff at 30hz, definitely a closed headphone.  HE-400 and HD650 sound too alike to me compared to other, drastic different sounding headphones.  That's just me though.

post #1104 of 18312
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

I'd go all out and get something with bass that doesn't rolloff at 30hz, definitely a closed headphone.  HE-400 and HD650 sound too alike to me compared to other, drastic different sounding headphones.  That's just me though.

 

It sounds like you might suggesting...the d5k!! eek.gif Yes?? 

post #1105 of 18312
Thread Starter 

Or maybe you want to say lcd2...don't be afraid to be candid, you are among friends here. wink.gif

post #1106 of 18312

Maybe!  But is something that's twice as much really a compliment!  I'm afraid the LCD-2 might sound even more like the HD650 than the HE-400 too, but I've never tried it.

 

D5000 was more along the lines though, or some other closed headphone.

post #1107 of 18312
Thread Starter 

Within the next two days, I will have in my possession...wait for it....wait...lcd2r2 bamboo. very_evil_smiley.gif

 

Nah, I didn't buy them. They are on loan from another head-fier here in Atlanta. I'll have to give up my hd650's to get the audition, but it will be worth it. I have waited a long, long time to hear the lcd series.

 

I have been doing my neck exercises all week in anticipation of the big day. gs1000.gif Time to fire up the lyr and time crank up some old school kick it to the curb hard hittin' bass lines. (did that sound really cheesy? don't care) Can the lcd deliver? We shall see...

post #1108 of 18312

Niiiiiiiiiice, you dog! I bet you're excited.

post #1109 of 18312

Also, I think I'm getting a 2.5m french silk cable from Q-Audio and getting 2 adapters from Moon Audio, one Sennheiser 2pin -> male mini-XLR (like the LCD-X) for my HD600s and one HiFiMAN coax -> male mini-XLR. The cable is $300 and the adapters plus shipping are going to run me $160. Am I an idiot confused.gif

post #1110 of 18312
Thread Starter 

What is your status on the Q Cable. I have been waiting anxiously for the past three weeks...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**