Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 729

post #10921 of 20005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post


And then start modding eh Matt? 😎

To become a proper HE-500 owner you have to try the mad dogs alpha, J$ and Lawton pads, do all stages of the Jerg mod and mod your headband along with AB'ing all the different pads. You also have to change to a aftermarket cable.

post #10922 of 20005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post

Does it then stand to reason that silver only cables can help cans like the LCD 2.2 ? I don't know the first thing about cables (using pretty much the stock cables) 

 

Thanks.

Seriously, I havn't heard any remarkable difference changing from Stock to UP-OCC silver with 1% gold on my HE-500.. I havn't AB'ed extensively, though. 

post #10923 of 20005
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkyNutz View Post

Nice littlexsparkee,will have to get that Marley album , What amp are you running it through ?

 

Does anyone know what size the screw is that holds the cups to the arms so I can maybe order it off of ebay ?

I shredded one with a cheap Chinese screwdriver. I tried a local hardware store (biggest in my locale) and could not find one that small.....

Here it is....

 

I too would be interested to know as well.  I can try to measure it with my calipers this weekend, but I would guess they are too small to get the proper pitch.  I'll try my best!  If it's found out though, I would recommend ordering from McMaster-Carr - that's where I get most of my hardware.  I would like to get some more durable hex screws that match the arms.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

 

Dude you're like the king of custom mods for headphones. Custom headband, custom earpads, custom grill and metal cup holder color, wooden cups, and now custom cable connection. I'd be very interested to see how it turns out when finished.

As a wise man once said: "If it's not modded, it's not worth listening to." tongue.gif

post #10924 of 20005
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

Seriously, I havn't heard any remarkable difference changing from Stock to UP-OCC silver with 1% gold on my HE-500.. I havn't AB'ed extensively, though. 

Going from OFC to SPC post-amp stage has had little to no major audible different that I've noticed yet, but it certainly may vary between the headphones or the listener (aka YMMV).  I honestly think that if you use one cable one day exclusively, then switch to the other the next you will probably never notice the difference...again, this has been my observation so far.  Same can be said with connector plating, since that is primarily to prevent corrosion and oxidation - beneath is usually copper, brass, tin or some other highly conductive material, much like the majority of the connector points throughout the entire system.  One must consider where the audio signal travels from source to headphones, I can tell you most of it is not going to be through SPC or OCC even for the above average system wink.gif

post #10925 of 20005
Know that :-) I don't really think the HE-500 is the most revealing headphone when it comes to cables anyway. Didn't buy my cable for the sound, though. I got it used...
post #10926 of 20005
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

Know that :-) I don't really think the HE-500 is the most revealing headphone when it comes to cables anyway. Didn't buy my cable for the sound, though. I got it used...

Revealing is what your Lambda Signature is for haha! biggrin.gif I also agree, aesthetics are important for me too so a good looking cable is preferable.

post #10927 of 20005
True dat!
post #10928 of 20005

I just want a shorter cable that isn't so stiff... Anyone know where I can buy one that doesn't cost $50+? I suppose I could just buy the connecters and do a DIY, but I'm not sure where to get the connectors either.

post #10929 of 20005
I don't think you can get a cable for that price unless you find someone willing to do the work for free.

On another note, it seems I can hear a difference between my old and new RCA cable. Not that I trust myself on that..
post #10930 of 20005

Actually, I almost can't believe how revealing those lambdas seem to be. It's almost too much, becomming etchy, and then my ultra detailed DAC on top of it. Good I have a tube amp to mellow the headphones a bit... Hifimans sound 'unserious' and too fun/musical in comparison. Heck, even the bass sounds sloppy blink.gif

post #10931 of 20005
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

Actually, I almost can't believe how revealing those lambdas seem to be. It's almost too much, becomming etchy, and then my ultra detailed DAC on top of it. Good I have a tube amp to mellow the headphones a bit... Hifimans sound 'unserious' and too fun/musical in comparison. Heck, even the bass sounds sloppy blink.gif

Time to swap back to velour pads? tongue.gif If there is one thing to be noted about HFM velours, it's that it makes the sound very analytical, dry, and revealing, compared to pleathers (modded or not).


Edited by jerg - 6/14/13 at 7:57pm
post #10932 of 20005

Everytime I hear a comment about how revealing the lambda series is, I get myself wondering how the SR series sound like.

 

SR-007 is my dream end-game can(or I hope so). Not too long ago I was very close of purchasing one. I don't know if i'll be able to resist if I see another set for sale here in Brazil.


Edited by Okamoto - 6/14/13 at 9:21pm
post #10933 of 20005
Quote:
Originally Posted by modulor View Post

I too would be interested to know as well.  I can try to measure it with my calipers this weekend, but I would guess they are too small to get the proper pitch.  I'll try my best!  If it's found out though, I would recommend ordering from McMaster-Carr - that's where I get most of my hardware.  I would like to get some more durable hex screws that match the arms.

 

 

As a wise man once said: "If it's not modded, it's not worth listening to." tongue.gif


That would be great. I was actually trying to find the same size in brass as it would go with the wood and new clear sleeved copper cables. I might just contact HFM direct as well as I'm sure they will know the techie specification of the screws....


Edited by Lohb - 6/14/13 at 10:41pm
post #10934 of 20005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

Time to swap back to velour pads? tongue.gif If there is one thing to be noted about HFM velours, it's that it makes the sound very analytical, dry, and revealing, compared to pleathers (modded or not).

Nahh, don't want to throw the tonal balance off. I have my Stax for that. Speaking of Stax:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okamoto View Post

Everytime I hear a comment about how revealing the lambda series is, I get myself wondering how the SR series sound like.

 

SR-007 is my dream end-game can(or I hope so). Not too long ago I was very close of purchasing one. I don't know if i'll be able to resist if I see another set for sale here in Brazil.

From memory I'd tend to think the Stax I have now is more revealing than the 007. The 007 has more bass, way smoother sound and a tonality better suited for vocals, though. Also a bit more well proportioned sound stage. The signature is kinda like: 'Hey, who cares if the sound is a bit etchy, and the tonal balance is a bit off. DETAILS all the way!'

post #10935 of 20005

Ohh, the bass actually digs deeper than the HE-500. It does roll of a lot at some 30 Hz, but it goes down to 15 Hz.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**