Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 720

post #10786 of 18673

I went ahead and recreated TMRaven's What sibilance curve in Electri-Q.

 

 

Link here. Head-fi isn't allowing me to attach files so i uploaded it to Mega, hope that's ok.

post #10787 of 18673
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

I went ahead and recreated TMRaven's What sibilance curve in Electri-Q.

 

 

Link here. Head-fi isn't allowing me to attach files so i uploaded it to Mega, hope that's ok.

It mus have been really tough to duplicate it tongue.gif

 

How do u make so nice screenshots of the window?

post #10788 of 18673
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

It mus have been really tough to duplicate it tongue.gif

 

How do u make so nice screenshots of the window?

 

Alt + Print Screen wink.gif

post #10789 of 18673
Good old print screen / crop / upload / paste. biggrin.gif
post #10790 of 18673
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

I went ahead and recreated TMRaven's What sibilance curve in Electri-Q.

 

 

Link here. Head-fi isn't allowing me to attach files so i uploaded it to Mega, hope that's ok.

 

Not much different from mine after all...

post #10791 of 18673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okamoto View Post

 

Not much different from mine after all...

 

What's your thoughts on the change from stock to this?

post #10792 of 18673
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

 

What's your thoughts on the change from stock to this?

 

It reduces sibilance in more sibilant tracks indeed. Of course, very sibilant tracks will remain with some sibilance... but not the headphone's fault in this case.

post #10793 of 18673

I find that reducing the 16 Khz doesn't really make much of difference in most tracks tbh. The HE-400's problem area is around 10 Khz which is why it's so sibilant.

post #10794 of 18673
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

I find that reducing the 16 Khz doesn't really make much of difference in most tracks tbh. The HE-400's problem area is around 10 Khz which is why it's so sibilant.

 

Yeah, that's why my curve is a little more accentuated arround the 9khz region. But there's still some bad spots up to 11~12khz... so Raven's curve reduces it a little aswell.

 

Try using the sine² peak curve and put the peak point arround 12khz and tell me what you think. Use linear phase.


Edited by Okamoto - 5/29/13 at 9:06am
post #10795 of 18673

I'm guessing Electri-Q is a program that will EQ sound for all programs? EQing in iTunes is awesome until you play a song in a different program, ha.

post #10796 of 18673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post

I'm guessing Electri-Q is a program that will EQ sound for all programs? EQing in iTunes is awesome until you play a song in a different program, ha.

 

You need a wrapper plugin to use it with the players... don't know if there's any for Itunes. I use George Yohn's wrapper plugin for Foobar.

post #10797 of 18673

Don't forget that you're EQing frequencies in between the bars that won't be shown on a limited bar EQ.  If I EQ'd 3db down at 8khz and 6db down at 16kkhz, then I'll most likely be EQing down 4.5db around 12khz by default.

 

Also realize that sibilants aren't the only problem with an accentuated upper treble.  Things like hi-hats and cymbals are unrealistically pronounced as well.

post #10798 of 18673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okamoto View Post

 

Yeah, that's why my curve is a little more accentuated arround the 9khz region. But there's still some bad spots up to 11~12khz... so Raven's curve reduces it a little aswell.

 

Try using the sine² peak curve and put the peak point arround 12khz and tell me what you think. Use linear phase.

 

How would I do that? I tried Sinegen instead, slowly raising the frequency while trying to detect any jumps in volume, it certainly increases significantly at around 9Khz, then goes down slowly and the rest seems too high pitched to even matter.


Edited by beaver316 - 5/29/13 at 9:25am
post #10799 of 18673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post

I'm guessing Electri-Q is a program that will EQ sound for all programs? EQing in iTunes is awesome until you play a song in a different program, ha.

 

Well if you wanted to set an EQ curve for all your programs, which includes your music player or even browser, check out EqualizerAPO. 

post #10800 of 18673
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

 

How would I do that? I tried Sinegen instead, slowly raising the frequency while trying to detect any jumps in volume, it certainly increases significantly at around 9Khz, then goes down slowly and the rest seems to high pitched to even matter.


It does matter unless you can't hear up that high! Some would argue the biggest problem of the HE-400 lies from 10kHz and above... Idk, but look at this anyway:


Edited by davidsh - 5/29/13 at 10:22am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**