Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 708

post #10606 of 20258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post

The he-400 would be my perfect headphone if it had slightly forward mids and balanced treble, but then again if it did all that people wouldn't buy the he-500 lmao.

Jerg pads with slight EQ around 1~6khz region really balances the sound a lot... Ask people that owned both the difference between HE-400 and HE-500. A lot of them use the word "refined" to differentiate them. You can really "refine" them with simple mods. Not only that, there are quite a few things that the HE-400 does better i.e. bass, speed, detail etc.


Edited by jay567 - 5/18/13 at 8:11pm
post #10607 of 20258
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjames View Post

The key word here is "bothersome." The sound is not bothersome to everyone!

Agree with this. I still fail to understand why people call this headphone sibilant especially with Jerg pads and a touch of EQ in mids. People who owns HE-400s must have all had Stax rigs with perfectly balanced frequency response and got spoilt by it.

post #10608 of 20258
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

In foobar, cut a few db from 7khz and 10khz.

I feel there's no need to drop in high frequencies; rather raise the 2~6khz area to balance the overall sound is a much better option getting closer to flatter response.

post #10609 of 20258
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay567 View Post

I feel there's no need to drop in high frequencies; rather raise the 2~6khz area to balance the overall sound is a much better option getting closer to flatter response.

 

No, it's usually better to EQ down to avoid distortion or clipping. By cutting 7khz and 10 khz regions, you're directly cutting out the hotspots.

post #10610 of 20258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniping View Post

How are those Kingsound stats?

Still on pre-order, sadly. frown.gif
post #10611 of 20258
I did the jerg mod with the old pads but I came back to velours with the rings found in the leathers because of comfort, With jerg mod the he 400's are so uncomfortable and feel loose on my head, the drivers touch the ears

Maybe I loose a little of sounding quality but velours with the rings make them so thicker and so nice to wear for long period
The bass are imo bigger maybe I lose something on voices but win so much comfort wink.gif
post #10612 of 20258
Quote:
Originally Posted by TontonJoK View Post

I did the jerg mod with the old pads but I came back to velours with the rings found in the leathers because of comfort, With jerg mod the he 400's are so uncomfortable and feel loose on my head, the drivers touch the ears

Maybe I loose a little of sounding quality but velours with the rings make them so thicker and so nice to wear for long period
The bass are imo bigger maybe I lose something on voices but win so much comfort wink.gif

 

I felt the same way as you when I first did v1 of the mod. My ears touched the driver, really annoying, and it just felt loose and unrefined altogether. 

 

I fixed the ears touching the driver problem by adding a layer of velour on top, it was enough to distance my ears. The velour I used was from a local store I went to, much more convenient than tearing apart a perfectly fine velour pad. I then fixed the loose unrefined problem by doing the subbass mod, which involved taping the pad itself to the cups, so the pads don't rotate at all, it's just a whole solid unit. It also gave the added benefit of better sub bass conduction :)

 

I would say a fully pimped out jergpad is better in terms of comfort to the velour. The problem with hifiman's velour is the pads are too stiff, but their pleather uses a far more comfortable and softer padding.


Edited by beaver316 - 5/19/13 at 12:51am
post #10613 of 20258
Yes indeed I didn't add the velour parts but did the bass mod, My ears are really touching the drivers
I will need to order some extra velours sometime to finish the mod or maybe wait for cheap pads from an other headphone known as working better
Edited by TontonJoK - 5/19/13 at 1:09am
post #10614 of 20258
Quote:
Originally Posted by TontonJoK View Post

Yes indeed I didn't add the velour parts but did the bass mod, My ears are really touching the drivers
I will need to order some extra velours sometime to finish the mod or maybe wait for cheap pads from an other headphone known as working better

 

I dunno of hifiman's velour layer is thick enough to help distance your ears. Like I said I bought velour material, which seems thicker than hifiman's.

post #10615 of 20258
I'll do some shopping for velour eek.gif

At the Jerg mod level I am I found more sibilance than with velour pads, is it going to disappear after finishing moding ??
Felt that the voices was closer but I've lost some soundstage and bass
Edited by TontonJoK - 5/19/13 at 2:26am
post #10616 of 20258
Quote:
Originally Posted by TontonJoK View Post

I'll do some shopping for velour eek.gif

At the Jerg mod level I am I found more sibilance than with velour, is it going to disappear after finishing moding ??
Felt that the voices was closer but I've lost some soundstage and bass

 

To me sibilants went down with the mod, and soundstage and bass remained the same, more or less. But I also used a very thin dust screen if that matters.

post #10617 of 20258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post


Still on pre-order, sadly. frown.gif

I'm on pre-order as well...Any ideas about ETA ? Thanks

post #10618 of 20258
I wish I knew. I'm half tempted on cancelling, keeping the Mad Dogs that Dan sent me, and ordering some X1s...
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 5/19/13 at 5:27am
post #10619 of 20258
Fidelio x1??

How much do you pay for those ??

Around here it is +- 370 $

You think it can compete with kingsound ???
Edited by TontonJoK - 5/19/13 at 5:51am
post #10620 of 20258
No, it's not about it competing. It's about me living with two lesser headphones (though I dunno how good the Kingsound stat will be anyways).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**