Oh God. Pulling apart the HE-400 now for painting. It's very similar to the HE-300 just, you know, MORE STUFF I CAN MESS UP POTENTIALLY AHHHHHHHHH
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 1/26/14 at 1:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
When it comes to Edifier, they are best known for their desktop PC speaker range and acquiring the prestigious electrostatic headphone company Stax. But just because they now own Stax doesn’t mean...
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 706post #10576 of 167205/17/13 at 1:37pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #10577 of 167205/17/13 at 3:12pm
Is there a way to stop the extreme sibilance from female vocals on the HE-400? I have velour pads and an E17 with +2 bass, -2 treble. Should I look into doing some pad mods, or is there a way to EQ it out?post #10578 of 167205/17/13 at 3:20pmQuote:
In foobar, cut a few db from 7khz and 10khz.post #10579 of 167205/17/13 at 3:23pmQuote:I agree with MLE that you need to listen to the Annies for a while without A/B'ing them with the HE400s. The Annies will probably seem very bright to you at first.Originally Posted by soundeffect
I'm not looking for a headphone to replace the HE400, but just a headphone that perform just as well at least. I'm looking for a secondary headphone and I've been following your post and it seem your selection of preference is similar to mine.
I figure it be interesting and fun to put up a test to see how well it perform with another headphone within it performance to price realm. I will give it it's own time to truly see it potential. I'm curious to see what a upper mid range dynamic driver can do as I think the only thing he400 for me can improve is their sound stage width which from what I read seems to be common with ortho. Not a bad with but nothing to brag about. My assumption can be incorrect base on lack of experience with orthos.
Edited by Limniscate - 5/17/13 at 8:22pmpost #10580 of 167205/17/13 at 3:48pmlistening to guys saying they are bright and stuff is getting me excited as I want something different, but good. I'm excited to get something lighter and slightly smaller. I'm still placing my bet on the HE400, but if the annie falls a little short I'm still okay with the trade off of lighter and more comfort. I ordered last night and it should be here on Monday and i have Monday to listen to them before I head out on vacation for the rest of the week :( I might attempt to take it with my some how.post #10581 of 167205/17/13 at 6:02pmQuote:
Pads mods help tremendously. Listening to a Libera CD was like a migraine-in-a-can. The jergpad mod definitely helped with the sibilance in the upper registers and made them rather pleasing. I sort of went ham in cutting the holes, which lead to some channel imbalance but fixed that with a few cotton balls added beneath the pads. Double benefit of clearing up the sound a little more as well as more padding to keep the ear away from the driver. IMO jergpads help tremendously and bring out the real character of the headphones, makes "neutral" setups sound worthwhile :)
Thank you Jerg for the ideapost #10582 of 167205/17/13 at 8:43pmQuote:
I dunno about bright, as the HE400 has a helluva lot more treble than the Annie. Maybe the fact the upper mids aren't recessed, and will enhance female vocals more than the HE400, but sibilance and treble is a non-issue on the Annie.post #10583 of 167205/17/13 at 8:57pmQuote:
MLE, I was able to hear the DT880s again and think that the bass is definitely tighter on the 880s versus the Annies, but the treble and mids are better on the Annies for sure. I've never noticed the sibilance and treble issues that others have noted about the HE400.post #10584 of 167205/17/13 at 9:05pmI agree. The 880 does have tighter bass than the Annie. The Annie's bass is softer and more ambientthan the 880s, which is faster.
The HE400 is a dark headphone with the exception of its treble which seems out of place in its darkness. Its problematic to some people because dark headphones dont tend to have that kind of treble. Its ultimately easier on the ears when a headphone starts off bright. Like I find the 990s to be less glaring than the HE400, because your ears expect the brightness.
Kinda hard to explain. Its like when you go from a dark headphone to a bright one. Your ears take a bit to get accustomed to the signature change. With the HE400, you dont really get enough time to adjust from darkness to brightness, so the treble can come off as a bit fatiguing.post #10585 of 167205/17/13 at 9:50pmI think people who don't really notice the treble issue are the one that really like them, I'm one of those. It's weird for me though, when I first got them after owning the MD, I did notice it, but after a few days it didnt stand out for me anymore like I got accustom to it. Sibilance wise, I think I do notice it, but always take it as the recording more than actual as I only notice this only in a few.
I hope the k702 anniv. are not too smooth that they are a snooze fest.post #10586 of 167205/17/13 at 10:28pm
Just got done listening to the HE-400's.
My ears are COMPLETELY done and now I want to burn down a whole village.
What the hell were they thinking with the treble? SERIOUSLY? Lets make take a great sounding headphone and totally screw it up with the treble. Holy crap way to go hifiman!!!!! I really thought that I liked treble, I mean I used to think it was definitely necessary. Not anymore! Now I'm scared to even go anywhere near it.. I'm forever scarred from that experience!!
Beyerdynamic J$ pads, Denon v3 J$ pads, Hifiman pleather, and Hifiman velour all do not help. I am totally against using EQ so my only hope is the jerg mod. Will that mod possibly cure the pain and anguish that I feel right now? Or am I forever doomed to be disappointed by in my opinion, one of the worst blunders in headphone sound signature history?
SOMEONE HELP!!!!!post #10587 of 167205/17/13 at 11:06pm
Hyperbole, much? You should probably just move on to another headphone, as you should know that no amount of modding can take a treble down from the levels you claim its at to something that suits you and is worth $400 of your hard-earned money.post #10588 of 167205/18/13 at 12:10ampost #10589 of 167205/18/13 at 12:20amQuote:Originally Posted by soundeffect
I think people who don't really notice the treble issue are the one that really like them, I'm one of those. It's weird for me though, when I first got them after owning the MD, I did notice it, but after a few days it didnt stand out for me anymore like I got accustom to it. Sibilance wise, I think I do notice it, but always take it as the recording more than actual as I only notice this only in a few.
I hope the k702 anniv. are not too smooth that they are a snooze fest.
Same here. I notice some sibilance in very few albums, so I'm guessing it's more of a recording issue.
I made an EQ curve some time ago but I've barely used it. The stock signature is indeed the best one.
I was almost getting a HE-500(even got a Burson HA-160 for that purpose), but I'm still enjoying these cans so much that I really see no need for that.
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 33 seconds ago
- › HD600 + Extended Bass + Larger Soundstage = ? 41 seconds ago
- › FS Lawton Audio LA2000 (Denon D2K) W JMoney Pads, custom wood cups 1 minute ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 2 minutes ago
- › 8 years ago . . . 2 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR 1R = Best Closed Back at $200? 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser 558, akg 550-701, v-moda 100, beyerdynamic... 4 minutes ago
- › The Basshead Club 5 minutes ago
- › Nuforce Primo 8 - an Audiophile Phase Coherent Quad Balanced... 6 minutes ago
- › Help choosing pc audio card under 70$ and question about DAC 6 minutes ago
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude