Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 699

post #10471 of 17711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limniscate View Post

I can't really tell the difference between the HE400 directly into an iPad2 and the HE400 with the ODAC/O2.  To give you a reference point for my hearing acuity, I can tell the difference between 24-bit, 96khz Nine Inch Nails - The Slip and the 320kbps, mp3 version.  You can download it for free here: http://theslip.nin.com/

I don't get your point. Are you saying that the iPad2 has superior dedicated audio amplification, or just audio quality on par with the O2/ODAC? Because your comment seems like more of a knock against an amp than against a headphone.

 

The iPad doesn't have close to the power of the O2 either, so 'loudness' should be the most obvious difference here.

post #10472 of 17711
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMateoHead View Post

I don't get your point. Are you saying that the iPad2 has superior dedicated audio amplification, or just audio quality on par with the O2/ODAC? Because your comment seems like more of a knock against an amp than against a headphone.

 

The iPad doesn't have close to the power of the O2 either, so 'loudness' should be the most obvious difference here.

I'm saying that I can't tell the difference in sound quality on the iPad2 with my HE400 plugged directly into it versus iPad2 -> O2 -> HE400 at the same volume with ALAC files.  I think the iPad2 can get plenty of volume for the HE400.  I haven't really compared an iPad2 with the HE400 directly connected to it versus the O2/ODAC with the HE400 yet.  Sorry for any ambiguity.

post #10473 of 17711

Soooooo I just jumped on the HiFiMan bandwagon with my new purchase of HE-400's. I got them off of head-direct Friday morning and as soon as I ordered, I realized that the velours didn't come with them and made a second order. I ordered the headphones with express 2 day shipping (got a little excited) and I did standard on the velours. Now, I got a confirmation email on Sunday saying that my velour pads had shipped but I still haven't received an email regarding the cans themselves (even though I paid for faster shipping). Is it possible that they have already sent them and didn't have enough time to send me tracking info? Just curious if anyone else went through head-direct and had similar issues.

 

The ETA on open planar magnetic bass smack is farther away than I would like...

post #10474 of 17711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limniscate View Post

I'm saying that I can't tell the difference in sound quality on the iPad2 with my HE400 plugged directly into it versus iPad2 -> O2 -> HE400 at the same volume with ALAC files.  I think the iPad2 can get plenty of volume for the HE400.  I haven't really compared an iPad2 with the HE400 directly connected to it versus the O2/ODAC with the HE400 yet.  Sorry for any ambiguity.

You would be very capable of hearing the differences in sound when comparing directly I recon.

Not sure if the ipad is much better sounding than the iphone, but my audinst amp/dac sounds way way better than the iphone. And the 02/ODAC setup should sound better than the audinst.

post #10475 of 17711
Hmmm I've been using my he400 and Schiit MM stack for 1 1/2 months now, loving it with no issue. Yesterday I was using it and all of a sudden after 30 mins. The magni shut off. I switch it off and turn it back on and it worked fine. Any idea what's going on here? I listen to them around 9 or 10 o'clock and I check to make sure all wires are secured including cup wires.

Think it's an amp issue or something else?
Edited by soundeffect - 5/13/13 at 2:31pm
post #10476 of 17711
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeffect View Post

Hmmm I've been using my he400 and Schiit MM stack for 1 1/2 months now, loving it with no issue. Yesterday I was using it and all of a sudden after 30 mins. The magni shut off. I switch it off and turn it back on and it worked fine. Any idea what's going on here? I listen to them around 9 or 10 o'clock and I check to make sure all wires are secured including cup wires.

Think it's an amp issue or something else?

Probably got overheated?

post #10477 of 17711
Is that a bad thing?
post #10478 of 17711

Has anyone tried the FiiO X3 with the HE-400? I'm thinking of getting a portable DAC and the X3 looks really interesting...tongue_smile.gif

 

Steve

post #10479 of 17711
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeffect View Post

Is that a bad thing?

If it happens frequently, yes. Heat is the killer of electronic components.
post #10480 of 17711
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCabDaddy View Post


If it happens frequently, yes. Heat is the killer of electronic components.


I don't understand how mine could of happened like that.  I have my Magni on top of a glass table with it's rubber feet with nothing around it except my laptop a feet away.  I guess shiit happens.

post #10481 of 17711

This makes me wonder...isn't it bad in general to stack electronics like that? That is more than likely the reason of the overheating 

post #10482 of 17711
I guess if the heat is dissipating properly then there's no problem stacking them, mine doesn't run hot. Soundeffect, was the amp on top or bottom? I imagine it would be better ventilated on top.
post #10483 of 17711
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeffect View Post


I don't understand how mine could of happened like that.  I have my Magni on top of a glass table with it's rubber feet with nothing around it except my laptop a feet away.  I guess shiit happens.

The top of the Magni has a bunch of holes for ventilation. Put your hand over it , if its overly warm (something you wouldn't want your hand on for more than 3-5 seconds) than its overheating and you need to provide better ventilation otherwise you will prematurely kill it. Make sure you do this ONLY after a long listening session so you get a good idea of how hot it can get.

 

Schiit , I'm sure , makes it work within certain temp range. Fire them off an email if it concerns you , Schiit has legendary customer support.


Edited by clarknova - 5/14/13 at 1:23am
post #10484 of 17711

Also the new Daft Punk Album (streaming for free on Itunes) really pushes the strengths of Ortho cans like these. If you want a good album to push them , RAM is it.

post #10485 of 17711

Don't know about the Magni, but a friend of mine had the Asgard and he said it gets very hot, to the point that it burns your hand if you touch the chassis. Based on that, I'm guessing that's a common thing with schiit amps. Nevertheless, it shouldn't turn off. If I was you, I'd email schiit.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**