or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 696

post #10426 of 20471

Still testing the equalizer, so far it helped a bit but not yet sure if its placebo or real improvment :D.

post #10427 of 20471

Oh and BTW, i kinda forgot.

Thx to mister HIFIMAN, Mister Fang, for making something so good that i could afford!

post #10428 of 20471
Quote:
Originally Posted by catspaw View Post

Still testing the equalizer, so far it helped a bit but not yet sure if its placebo or real improvment :D.

 

For sure it's not placebo. You can actually enable and disable the equalizer in realtime while music is playing so you can hear the difference. Simply point the the main config file to a null.txt with no EQ adjustment and Ctrl+Z to revert to the hifimanhe400fix.txt. You'll hear the difference immediately....

 

Perhaps we should take this to pm?

post #10429 of 20471
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

 

 

 

 

he-400treblefixer1.txt 1k .txt file

 

 

Here's mine incase your interested. It has a 3.5db dip at 9Khz and 16Khz, and a smaller dip around 12Khz.

 

awsome man! thx!

post #10430 of 20471
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

Honestly the velour mod is too advanced for most people, from the feedback I've read over the course of people doing the mod. I've been tampering around it myself recently and honestly, sewing might actually be the most convenient as well as (obviously) the most robust method for it, took me about an hour to do the sewing job onto both pads with my nonexistent sewing skills, and the results are much better than the tape method. Overall though I've been shying away from pushing this part of the jergpad mod on people nowadays because of the labour-intensiveness of it compared to the other 3 parts of the mod.

 

That said, it makes a huge difference if you can pull it off. There is still a hint of residual pleather muddiness in the jergpads without the velour mod, and that gets cleaned up nicely with it.

 

Quick photo of the velour top sewing I did recently:

 

 

1000

Those damping holes look so homogeneous. These pads look very nice, they are very sell-able. Even though you don't want to!

post #10431 of 20471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post

Those damping holes look so homogeneous. These pads look very nice, they are very sell-able. Even though you don't want to!

Thanks. Oh I would def sell some if I could make some, but for the time being it's a time investment I can't afford to make. I was hoping someone good at modding would do that (do the jergpad as commissions for other head-fiers) but so far nothing concrete.

post #10432 of 20471
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

Thanks. Oh I would def sell some if I could make some, but for the time being it's a time investment I can't afford to make. I was hoping someone good at modding would do that (do the jergpad as commissions for other head-fiers) but so far nothing concrete.

Have you figured out the cost and time investment? I'm guessing it would become cost prohibitive if you wanted to make a legitimate profit. Then again, with what people pay for cables...
post #10433 of 20471
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCabDaddy View Post


Have you figured out the cost and time investment? I'm guessing it would become cost prohibitive if you wanted to make a legitimate profit. Then again, with what people pay for cables...

I mod fairly slowly and carefully so I would say per pair of pads, it takes me 40 mins to do Part 1, 10 mins to do Part 2, probably upwards to an hour to do Part 3 (I'm terrible at sewing), and 5 mins to do Part 4. So in total about 2 hours with no breaks. If they are done in bulk, that could be cut down to 1h30m maybe, not sure though.

 

In terms of material costs, it's close to nothing (tape you can get in dollar stores, and scissors you would have already) more than the pads themselves.

 

So in that sense then if this is to be made into a legitimately profitable venture, payment for around 2 hours of fairly taxing work would be fair - something around 50-70$ (on top of the customer paying for round shipping costs, and for the pleather pads + velour pads, ofc) depending on the modder's expertise, efficiency, and greed. Lol.

post #10434 of 20471
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

I mod fairly slowly and carefully so I would say per pair of pads, it takes me 40 mins to do Part 1, 10 mins to do Part 2, probably upwards to an hour to do Part 3 (I'm terrible at sewing), and 5 mins to do Part 4. So in total about 2 hours with no breaks. If they are done in bulk, that could be cut down to 1h30m maybe, not sure though.

In terms of material costs, it's close to nothing (tape you can get in dollar stores, and scissors you would have already) more than the pads themselves.

So in that sense then if this is to be made into a legitimately profitable venture, payment for around 2 hours of fairly taxing work would be fair - something around 50-70$ (on top of the customer paying for round shipping costs, and for the pleather pads + velour pads, ofc) depending on the modder's expertise, efficiency, and greed. Lol.

See? That's kind of what I thought except I'd think you'd need to redouble the price for a truly profitable venture. If I were to do it, I'd try to source raw velour instead of tearing apart pads for it thus reducing cost. I'm thinking they'd come in at a price of $100 - $150 were I to do it and I'm not sure there would be demand at that price point.
post #10435 of 20471
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCabDaddy View Post


See? That's kind of what I thought except I'd think you'd need to redouble the price for a truly profitable venture. If I were to do it, I'd try to source raw velour instead of tearing apart pads for it thus reducing cost. I'm thinking they'd come in at a price of $100 - $150 were I to do it and I'm not sure there would be demand at that price point.

Good points and yep, at that price the demand would go off a cliff. This is probably best staying as a DIY mod.

post #10436 of 20471
The J$'s cannot have been profitable
post #10437 of 20471
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

I mod fairly slowly and carefully so I would say per pair of pads, it takes me 40 mins to do Part 1, 10 mins to do Part 2, probably upwards to an hour to do Part 3 (I'm terrible at sewing), and 5 mins to do Part 4. So in total about 2 hours with no breaks. If they are done in bulk, that could be cut down to 1h30m maybe, not sure though.

 

In terms of material costs, it's close to nothing (tape you can get in dollar stores, and scissors you would have already) more than the pads themselves.

 

So in that sense then if this is to be made into a legitimately profitable venture, payment for around 2 hours of fairly taxing work would be fair - something around 50-70$ (on top of the customer paying for round shipping costs, and for the pleather pads + velour pads, ofc) depending on the modder's expertise, efficiency, and greed. Lol.


Which makes me wonder how much the Chinese persons making these headphones earn by the hour . . .

 

No offense but I wouldn't pay anyone 25-35 dollars an hour for custom pads. I would, however, pay an extra 25 bucks for a better headband and softer pads for the HE-400s by default.

 

Given that I am fairly certain I don't want my leather pads, I will probably eventually 'mod' them just for the sake of discovering whether there is a worthwhile improvement in sound or not.

post #10438 of 20471
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMateoHead View Post


Which makes me wonder how much the Chinese persons making these headphones earn by the hour . . .

 

No offense but I wouldn't pay anyone 25-35 dollars an hour for custom pads. I would, however, pay an extra 25 bucks for a better headband and softer pads for the HE-400s by default.

 

Given that I am fairly certain I don't want my leather pads, I will probably eventually 'mod' them just for the sake of discovering whether there is a worthwhile improvement in sound or not.

 

Dude, making custom things by hand is a whole different story from a company having the funds to automate and outsource manufacturing and components. Just stating the cold hard facts regarding how things go in enthusiast hobbies. I'd love it if Hifiman decides to revamp their earpads and make them achieve what modded pads could achieve, and sell em for $30 or 40. Who wouldn't want better consistency + assurance that replacement service is reliable, all for cheaper?

post #10439 of 20471
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

 

Dude, making custom things by hand is a whole different story from a company having the funds to automate and outsource manufacturing and components. Just stating the cold hard facts regarding how things go in enthusiast hobbies. I'd love it if Hifiman decides to revamp their earpads and make them achieve what modded pads could achieve, and sell em for $30 or 40. Who wouldn't want better consistency + assurance that replacement service is reliable, all for cheaper?


You should present the idea to Dr. Fang and send him a pair of jergpads. Maybe he likes it and start producing and selling them in large-scale.

post #10440 of 20471
Thread Starter 

^^ Not a bad idea really. +1

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**