Yeah, I think I am already starting to come around. Especially after EQ. Do you have any eq tips for these headphones? Maybe knock a few db from 10k-20k?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 11/26/13 at 4:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 12/9/12 at 2:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 12/16/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/5/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 680
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #10187 of 153444/28/13 at 1:43pmQuote:Originally Posted by BobDob25
He fellas, new user here. I just received my HE-400's the other day. I love the sound, but like others have stated in this thread, the treble spike, particularly the sibilance in some recordings, has my hears fatigued a tad. I am in a bit of a bind as to what to do. Regardless, I am going to keep on listening to them for a few days to see if my brain can get used to it. I have eq'ed it a bit, so we will see if that helps.
Let's say I simply can't get past the sibilance/treble spike, and I have to send these back. What is a good choice in this range, give or take 100 bucks if I need to? Right now if I don't keep these, I am leaning on the Sennheiser HD650, because I hear it has a laid back sound, even though i would be losing the crisp sub bass of the HE-400's. Any opinions? Thank you!
My suggestion? Try the jergpads.post #10188 of 153444/28/13 at 1:51pmQuote:
Yeah, Tyll from innerfidelity actually values the HD600 above the HD650.post #10189 of 153444/28/13 at 2:09pmThread Starterpost #10190 of 153444/28/13 at 2:14pmThat, an more neutral. Typical audiophiles tend to go for neutrality.
However, I believe it's subjective. The HD650 is pretty neutral aside from the infusion of warmth. A different flavor, and not a clear technical difference.post #10191 of 153444/28/13 at 2:20pm
Yes and to make the matter more muddy. Jude prefers the HD650 and Tyll actually did prefer the HD650 until very recently. In conclusion They're both worth owning and are classics that will last.
HD600 = Pretty much the benchmark for neutrality
HD650 = Fairly neutrel, definitely "enough" more so than most phones
Edited by M-13 - 4/28/13 at 2:21pmpost #10192 of 153444/28/13 at 2:20pmpost #10193 of 153444/28/13 at 2:32pm
Yeah, EQ'ing so far has definitely helped. It wasn't too bad before, just the sibilance on some (not all) songs was a bit harsh. This audiophile business sure is addicting, I am thinking about getting a used hd650 regardless. I have an audioengine d1 and am already thinking about an upgrade path, mind you everything is pretty much 2 weeks old and I am already looking at more expensive toys, even though I am happy with what I have...post #10194 of 153444/28/13 at 2:58pmpost #10195 of 153444/28/13 at 3:12pmpost #10196 of 153444/28/13 at 3:45pmThread Starterpost #10197 of 153444/28/13 at 5:05pm
the q701 are great, but a little bass light. like them for rock as they do guitar great especially acoustic. i had a slight rattle in right cup of the 400 i had, so returned them and paid the difference for the 500 since they were the ones i originally wanted. felt bass for 400 was great, but a little too much. only had the 500 since friday and im loving them big time, but i do feel the extra weight though. plays acoustic/hard rock, hip hop great. still have to try metal, but dont expect these to disappoint at all.post #10198 of 153444/28/13 at 6:23pmpost #10199 of 153444/28/13 at 7:24pm
While we are on the subject of the HE-400 and me possibly getting a HD 650 as well, does anyone have a good upgrade on an amp coming from the audioengine d1?
I am thinking either the asgard 2 or lyr at the moment. Budget would be 600 or under. I would still use the audioengine as a DAC and I would connnect that to amp, and I would like the amp to have pre-outs to feed my A2 speakers. Ideally, the speaker outputs will mute once I have headphones plugged in.post #10200 of 153444/28/13 at 7:26pmAudio-GD SA-31.
10watts to the HE-400, and 1.4watts to the HD650 Diamond differential...
Owned it, loved it, but I needed a volume knob so I sold it and downgraded to a Compass 2.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/28/13 at 7:27pm
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Open headphones under $250. 46 seconds ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 2 minutes ago
- › Best High-End Amp for the Hd650 2 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica's New Multidriver IEMs: The ATH-IM Series 2 minutes ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions & Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Dec 16th 2013 and feature poll... 4 minutes ago
- › December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison 6 minutes ago
- › Unique Melody double/triple hybrid universals announced: UM 2X & 3X... 6 minutes ago
- › THE NEW CUSTOM IEM PIC THREAD :)))))) 7 minutes ago
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by Xstream
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by Beethoven Lover
- › Astell&Kern AKR01 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by wolfetan44
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe