Yeah, I think I am already starting to come around. Especially after EQ. Do you have any eq tips for these headphones? Maybe knock a few db from 10k-20k?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 1/26/14 at 1:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
I've owned the Sennheiser Momentum for about a year now. Though it is aesthetically pleasing, and very sturdy overall, I can honestly say that it isn't worth the $300. I enjoyed the mids, which...
Not quite a review but thought I'd quote my recent observations. Quote: Originally Posted by Rob80b Well the K712s showed up, just doing some preliminary comparison with my K701s with the...
First, a big thanks to Todd The Vinyl Junkie for making the 'e' series loaner program possible. To the next guy in line: sorry I kept them for so long. The very first pair of 'high-end'...
A big thanks to TekFusion for sending the TwinWoofer in for review and Ibrahim for taking the photo shots! TekFusion is a brand new fresh company based in India. Targeted for consumer...
I enjoy these headphones very much. A beautiful sound, clear and natural with a tight bass. I am a bit surprised such small cans can sounds so good. The wood finish might not suit everyone, but...
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 680
Gear mentioned in this thread:
He fellas, new user here. I just received my HE-400's the other day. I love the sound, but like others have stated in this thread, the treble spike, particularly the sibilance in some recordings, has my hears fatigued a tad. I am in a bit of a bind as to what to do. Regardless, I am going to keep on listening to them for a few days to see if my brain can get used to it. I have eq'ed it a bit, so we will see if that helps.
Let's say I simply can't get past the sibilance/treble spike, and I have to send these back. What is a good choice in this range, give or take 100 bucks if I need to? Right now if I don't keep these, I am leaning on the Sennheiser HD650, because I hear it has a laid back sound, even though i would be losing the crisp sub bass of the HE-400's. Any opinions? Thank you!
My suggestion? Try the jergpads.
Yeah, Tyll from innerfidelity actually values the HD600 above the HD650.
However, I believe it's subjective. The HD650 is pretty neutral aside from the infusion of warmth. A different flavor, and not a clear technical difference.
Yes and to make the matter more muddy. Jude prefers the HD650 and Tyll actually did prefer the HD650 until very recently. In conclusion They're both worth owning and are classics that will last.
HD600 = Pretty much the benchmark for neutrality
HD650 = Fairly neutrel, definitely "enough" more so than most phones
Edited by M-13 - 4/28/13 at 2:21pm
Yeah, EQ'ing so far has definitely helped. It wasn't too bad before, just the sibilance on some (not all) songs was a bit harsh. This audiophile business sure is addicting, I am thinking about getting a used hd650 regardless. I have an audioengine d1 and am already thinking about an upgrade path, mind you everything is pretty much 2 weeks old and I am already looking at more expensive toys, even though I am happy with what I have...
the q701 are great, but a little bass light. like them for rock as they do guitar great especially acoustic. i had a slight rattle in right cup of the 400 i had, so returned them and paid the difference for the 500 since they were the ones i originally wanted. felt bass for 400 was great, but a little too much. only had the 500 since friday and im loving them big time, but i do feel the extra weight though. plays acoustic/hard rock, hip hop great. still have to try metal, but dont expect these to disappoint at all.
While we are on the subject of the HE-400 and me possibly getting a HD 650 as well, does anyone have a good upgrade on an amp coming from the audioengine d1?
I am thinking either the asgard 2 or lyr at the moment. Budget would be 600 or under. I would still use the audioengine as a DAC and I would connnect that to amp, and I would like the amp to have pre-outs to feed my A2 speakers. Ideally, the speaker outputs will mute once I have headphones plugged in.
10watts to the HE-400, and 1.4watts to the HD650 Diamond differential...
Owned it, loved it, but I needed a volume knob so I sold it and downgraded to a Compass 2.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/28/13 at 7:27pm
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Dac for home use with sony Amplifier and pc-laptop 24 seconds ago
- › Beats Solo 2: Is the Head-Fi community willing to give these a fair... 1 minute ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 6,7 & 8 DJ thread. Opinions, reviews, feedback, pics,... 2 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Review: The Best Sennheiser Portable Headphones Compared: Momentums... 3 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 3 minutes ago
- › DITA - The Answer (Truth Edition). 5 minutes ago
- › Cowon Plenue P1 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum by MacroPower
- › AKG K712 Pro by Rob80b
- › Grado Labs SR225e by yage
- › Tekfusion Twinwoofers by BillsonChang007
- › ATH-ESW10JPN by bluelines
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M40x Professional Headphones by krishtrinity1
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by subwoof3r
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by lin0003
- › FiiO Kilimanjaro 2 (E11K) Portable Headphone Amplifier by twister6
- › Audio Technica Sonic Fuel ATH-CKX9iS In-ear Headphones with In-line... by TheAfterEffect
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)