Yeah, I think I am already starting to come around. Especially after EQ. Do you have any eq tips for these headphones? Maybe knock a few db from 10k-20k?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 1/26/14 at 1:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
I was looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun sounding closed can for listening at my computer at work and some limited portable use. I typically listen to EDM in this setting and had been using the...
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 680
Gear mentioned in this thread:
He fellas, new user here. I just received my HE-400's the other day. I love the sound, but like others have stated in this thread, the treble spike, particularly the sibilance in some recordings, has my hears fatigued a tad. I am in a bit of a bind as to what to do. Regardless, I am going to keep on listening to them for a few days to see if my brain can get used to it. I have eq'ed it a bit, so we will see if that helps.
Let's say I simply can't get past the sibilance/treble spike, and I have to send these back. What is a good choice in this range, give or take 100 bucks if I need to? Right now if I don't keep these, I am leaning on the Sennheiser HD650, because I hear it has a laid back sound, even though i would be losing the crisp sub bass of the HE-400's. Any opinions? Thank you!
My suggestion? Try the jergpads.
Yeah, Tyll from innerfidelity actually values the HD600 above the HD650.
However, I believe it's subjective. The HD650 is pretty neutral aside from the infusion of warmth. A different flavor, and not a clear technical difference.
Yes and to make the matter more muddy. Jude prefers the HD650 and Tyll actually did prefer the HD650 until very recently. In conclusion They're both worth owning and are classics that will last.
HD600 = Pretty much the benchmark for neutrality
HD650 = Fairly neutrel, definitely "enough" more so than most phones
Edited by M-13 - 4/28/13 at 2:21pm
Yeah, EQ'ing so far has definitely helped. It wasn't too bad before, just the sibilance on some (not all) songs was a bit harsh. This audiophile business sure is addicting, I am thinking about getting a used hd650 regardless. I have an audioengine d1 and am already thinking about an upgrade path, mind you everything is pretty much 2 weeks old and I am already looking at more expensive toys, even though I am happy with what I have...
the q701 are great, but a little bass light. like them for rock as they do guitar great especially acoustic. i had a slight rattle in right cup of the 400 i had, so returned them and paid the difference for the 500 since they were the ones i originally wanted. felt bass for 400 was great, but a little too much. only had the 500 since friday and im loving them big time, but i do feel the extra weight though. plays acoustic/hard rock, hip hop great. still have to try metal, but dont expect these to disappoint at all.
While we are on the subject of the HE-400 and me possibly getting a HD 650 as well, does anyone have a good upgrade on an amp coming from the audioengine d1?
I am thinking either the asgard 2 or lyr at the moment. Budget would be 600 or under. I would still use the audioengine as a DAC and I would connnect that to amp, and I would like the amp to have pre-outs to feed my A2 speakers. Ideally, the speaker outputs will mute once I have headphones plugged in.
10watts to the HE-400, and 1.4watts to the HD650 Diamond differential...
Owned it, loved it, but I needed a volume knob so I sold it and downgraded to a Compass 2.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/28/13 at 7:27pm
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier 19 seconds ago
- › Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid... 21 seconds ago
- › REVIEW: Ostry KC06 34 seconds ago
- › -The Discovery of the New Ivery IS-1 (or Liberty 1’s) -Believe the... 38 seconds ago
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 1 minute ago
- › SOLD! FINAL PRICE DROP**** Ortofon e-Q5 mint condition 1 minute ago
- › Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Westone UM PRO Series Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)