Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 678

post #10156 of 17943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

The SR-407? It decays a bit too quickly for my personal taste, and the sub bass sounds rolled off, but it hits pretty nicely. It's no LCD2 or HE400 though. It sounds like a mild mid bass hump, but a very good one.
The strength isn't in it's bass presence, but rather it's clean and agile presentation without losing musicality.
Basically, it gains the benefits of bright headphones without being harsh or sterile.
I absolutely love it's sound, but if I had to own one headphone, it wouldn't be this one.

Yeah that's sounds pretty much like my ideal headphone. I value clarity above everything else. Although the lcd2-lcd3 have insanely good bass they are a tad too warm sounding for me.

post #10157 of 17943
The SR407 would probably make you very happy. Easily the clearest headphone I've heard.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/27/13 at 5:21am
post #10158 of 17943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

The SR407 would probably make you very happy. Easily the clearest headphone I've heard.

So what amp are you using with it? I think we had this discussion before, about what amp to get. And it turned out the amp was much more expensive than the headphone.

post #10159 of 17943
The SRM-252S which is just under the price of the SR407.

Keep in mind that the mids aren't forward but blended into the overall sound. Like on the same line as the rest of the sound.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/27/13 at 5:22am
post #10160 of 17943

^ Wow they sell them, in my country!

 

http://www.number4audio.nl/stax_srs2170.html

 

I could actually audition it!

post #10161 of 17943

I told to myself that if I am to upgrade to a electrostat, it's gonna be the SR-007.

 

There's one fellow here in Brazil selling the SR-007 MKII + 727A combo for R$7000(U$3500). Had I not other priorities at the moment, I'd not think twice before buying it.

 

 

post #10162 of 17943
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post

I hate to stir the pot, but wanted to add one more data point for people.

 

As a matter of personal opinion the HE-500 does have burn in. And 150 hours is just about right. I always said 120 minimum and after 200 no change ("stable")

 

This coming from someone who has his 4th pair of HE-500 and burning them in for the 4th time. I'm a big believer of the scientific method and a proud skeptic. But not everything shows up in Frequency Response Cuves/CSD/Impulse Response/Square Waves.

 

I think we need more sophisticated measuring tools and then we'll be able to measure small differences. Like being able to measure the diaphram with laser precision while real music is playing, instead of sending impulses to make measurements.

 

Now... saying all that can it just be a placebo psuedo effect and my brain is being fooled for the 4th time? Of course. Humans are faulty in general so why not.

 

I hope in the future we'll develope more sophisticated measuring tools to really flesh this issue out.


Well, to an extent headphones are a unique problem. In another thread, a recent test by Harmon international showed very different response curves by listener, some of which relating, for example, to the 'seal' between the phone and the head. So there can be variation in user to user experience, and also issues experianced by some but not all listeners. Or, in other words, finely crafted headphones are still likely to make very different impressions on every person that try them. For me, sound quality has been something 'learned', not necessarily known before hand. Yet I have always known that I like a more balanced presentation better than an un-balanced one, because the performance is usually more consistent across genres.

 

While I think burn-in is ultimately a major farce, I do think attitudes and preferences can adjust to new products. The "sporty" car you purchased on Monday may, after some months, seem quite tame compared to your memory of the initial driving experience. Some of this may be attributable to wear and tear, but not enough, IMHO, to really change the choice you made / would make now. Headphone diaphrams may break in somewhat, but are still working within certain mechanical tolerances.

 

Impressions and memory are not reliable sources of knowledge.

post #10163 of 17943
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMateoHead View Post

 

Impressions and memory are not reliable sources of knowledge.

Often, this is how humans operate since we're not machines...

 

If you can't trust what you hear and if you can't trust what you remember, who are you then?

 

Eye witness testimony has been proven to be inaccurate, yet I usually believe things I see and hear. Call me crazy.


Edited by M-13 - 4/27/13 at 3:19pm
post #10164 of 17943
Finally got some time on on these, spent all week listening at around 30 to 34 on a fiio e17 at 12 gain. Now, I ended up being quite happy with the outcome, had to get used to the planar sound. Having said that, I got home, hooked up to my desktop-dac destroyer- to pioneer sx 727. I have always loved how this vintage receiver sounds, and I spent a long time re doing the internals so it sounds brand new. Well the verdict is, while I enjoyed these on the e17, there's enough of a difference to where I think I'm going to sell the e17 and dac destroyer, and buy an hrt music streamer or an arcam rpac. I absolutely love the pioneer, it gives these the power they aren't supposed to want, everything just became more full, and yes I've switched back to the e17 volume matched. I don't see these scaling a whole lot more, so with the arcam or hrt I think ill be happy for a while. And no I don't have hearing loss! I just jumped the gun to quickly on first impression of these, thanks everyone for listening and giving advice for that though, much appreciated. Now back to the music!
post #10165 of 17943
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post

If you can't trust what you hear and if you can't trust what you remember, who are you then?

That is really getting close into philosophical territory. Who are you? Why should we trust our senses? 

 

Just playing some devil's advocate as I found this interesting. Much more interesting than a burn-in debate.

post #10166 of 17943
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

Finally got some time on on these, spent all week listening at around 30 to 34 on a fiio e17 at 12 gain. Now, I ended up being quite happy with the outcome, had to get used to the planar sound. Having said that, I got home, hooked up to my desktop-dac destroyer- to pioneer sx 727. I have always loved how this vintage receiver sounds, and I spent a long time re doing the internals so it sounds brand new. Well the verdict is, while I enjoyed these on the e17, there's enough of a difference to where I think I'm going to sell the e17 and dac destroyer, and buy an hrt music streamer or an arcam rpac. I absolutely love the pioneer, it gives these the power they aren't supposed to want, everything just became more full, and yes I've switched back to the e17 volume matched. I don't see these scaling a whole lot more, so with the arcam or hrt I think ill be happy for a while. And no I don't have hearing loss! I just jumped the gun to quickly on first impression of these, thanks everyone for listening and giving advice for that though, much appreciated. Now back to the music!

I knew it!

 

Planars and power go like peanut butter and jelly, haha. Congrats on the discovery. I'm driving my HE-500 using 50 watts/channel speaker taps and oh my they sing like an angel. Not that this would be needed for the HE-400, but atleast an E09k or a Magni would be an improvement over just an E17. You get volume yes, but it just doesn't sound the best. I'm sure you know what I mean now. wink.gif


Edited by M-13 - 4/27/13 at 11:07pm
post #10167 of 17943
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

That is really getting close into philosophical territory. Who are you? Why should we trust our senses? 

 

Just playing some devil's advocate as I found this interesting. Much more interesting than a burn-in debate.

Yeah I try to keep life simple. I try my best not to deceive myself or get fooled, but if I hear something and if I see something over and over again despite my best efforts and personal test procedures. I will believe it.

 

What more can I do as a human being? A fundamental cornerstone of science is observation and writing down data from observations. If hearing is a sonic observation then why not make conclusions from my own data points? I honestly believe regular audiophiles don't have the right scientific instruments to measure things like burn-in, but I feel like someone smart enough could probably design such a machine to take sensitive measurements someday. Humans are easily fooled and are wrong very often, but we're also right every once in a while. wink.gif

 

What's funny is that Head-Fi has given me a lot of hunger to study Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. This coming from a business/law guy. I just want to learn more so that I can investigate if there is any truth to audiophile claims and maybe even design and build my own amps/dacs or even dare I say it... headphones? 

post #10168 of 17943

Has anyone ever had a loud clicking noise occur with the HE-400s? I was just playing a game with these on and I got three loud clicks, two on the left earcup and one on the right. I had gotten these before, albeit not as common so it's a little odd.

post #10169 of 17943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvil View Post

Has anyone ever had a loud clicking noise occur with the HE-400s? I was just playing a game with these on and I got three loud clicks, two on the left earcup and one on the right. I had gotten these before, albeit not as common so it's a little odd.

 

Yeah I get them every so often. I think it's just expansion or contraction occurring with the driver frame, nothing to worry about imo.

post #10170 of 17943
Thread Starter 

Interesting...I've never heard it. Clipping maybe?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**