and the treble, oh man I love the treble, I have it at plus 4 on the e17, the detail there is magnificent, a little metallic yes but oh man,the detail in the high end is insane. SO the growth and love affair has begun tonight.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 1/26/14 at 1:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
First, a big thanks to Todd The Vinyl Junkie for making the 'e' series loaner program possible. To the next guy in line: sorry I kept them for so long. The very first pair of 'high-end'...
A big thanks to TekFusion for sending the TwinWoofer in for review and Ibrahim for taking the photo shots! TekFusion is a brand new fresh company based in India. Targeted for consumer...
I enjoy these headphones very much. A beautiful sound, clear and natural with a tight bass. I am a bit surprised such small cans can sounds so good. The wood finish might not suit everyone, but...
INTRODUCTION Build quality is excellent. This is my second headphone review.M40x is a recent release from Audio Technica,it is a...
PACKAGING : Earphones cames with a nice little box and 2 pair of white foamies (1 pair of donut and 1 pair of classic covered). I’m always using donuts one since it provides some slightly more...
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 671
Gear mentioned in this thread:
well, i tried 30 for a while, its listenable but just not fun. Ill retrain my ears for a bit. Because other than the low hours of listening to headphones i actual get , I dont have any other loud listening or noise going on. So maybe i just enjoy Loud for a half hour at a time, Hopefully thats not that bad.
Is the Magni/Modi amp/dac combo connected to the mpb with the he-400+velour pads recommended?
Waiting for the magni/modi to arrive but shock to read from headphonia that he-400 and magni/modi might not work together very well
Prior to getting the magni/modi combo for he-400 I was planning to get the fiio e 17 or e 12 plus a cheap dac. Did I make a mistake not getting the fiio or not. BTW im using the he-400 at home only. So only sound quality matters and portability does not matter to me.
Reason I ask this is because it seems that fiio e17 seems to get better recommendation with the he-400 than the magni/modi combo but it could be because I did find many comments about the mm combo with the he-400.
Awe cmon thats no fun! Im at 44 on the fiio, is that really that bad? for what its worth its plenty loud on most tracks, probably a little to loud. If im at 40 and thats comfortable, do you really think ive already damaged my ears? Maybe be ear canals are just weird....But, I bet I am doing damage, I can help it i Love LOUD, especially when Its a clear non-distorted loud,
Do you need gain 12 for your other headphones? If yes, your hearing has been severely damaged.
If no, there is still a chance your HE-400 is defective.
HE400 on E17 with +12 gain at 40 or so vol, IMO, is damaging to the hearing but is definitely tolerable for certain music genres that sound best when they are blasted loud, at least temporarily (for a few minutes).
My guess is Hemi has a combination of moderate hearing loss and preference for loud music (the two go hand-in-hand), hence this fiasco.
The biggest giveaway, Hemi, that you have hearing loss, is the fact that you enjoy the HE400 more when you have the Treble EQ on E17 turned to +4. Treble sensitivity is always the first to be "lost" when one's hearing deteriorates significantly, so to compensate, you have to really jack up the treble levels in order to perceive similar treble amount as healthy hearing.
Edited by jerg - 4/25/13 at 3:27am
Also, I want to point out, that even 30/60 isn't a good volume. It is reasonable, but I am positive that it is loud-ish too, probably around some 85-90 dB depending on what you listen to and such, I'd say it is JUST around where hearing damage, if you listen for extended time every day, would be possible...
For me 23-25 (+12dB gain) on the fiio with the HE-500 is mostly plenty loud. 30 is loud, and from there on they start to behave like laptop speakers.
Edited by davidsh - 4/25/13 at 6:06am
I feel that it's important to be a responsible listener. When you're younger it easy to have the "invincible" syndrome. I know that I was guilty of it. But once you develop tinnitus you'll have to live with it for the rest of your life and the wonderful intimate world of listening to your favorite music on your favorite headphones will be forever changed. I live with the "hiss" in my ears 24/7 and I would wish it on anyone.
So be careful hemipowered. It may be that you're not listening as loud as I think because of some gear malfunction. But just be cautious and protect your hearing.
I have the Asgard at my home setup (use the Fiio E17 optical as dac in this case) and i use the Fiio E17 when i use the HE-400 on the move.
Now, the reasons i went for the asgard:
-Its what Schitt actually recomeds for those
-Its a solid state amp (call me crazy, but i think solid state will give you a much controled signal than a diferent amp).
-I had the chance to try it before buying it.
The fiio is noticibly worse (the soundstage feels akward at times, the detail dies sometimes), but over all, its quite good.
I have not tried the M&M so cant say there, but i did try the valhalla on the HE-400 A/B with the asgard, and the valhalla simply did not have the juice to drive the HE-400, and im not talking here only about the volume, but also about the Dynamics.
I am planning to A/B a Bifrost with my setup to know if its worth the upgrade, but ill need to leave it till after my sisters wedding (saving for that now).
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread 55 seconds ago
- › NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions 1 minute ago
- › NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › DITA - The Answer (Truth Edition). 1 minute ago
- › What DAC out of these three should I get? 2 minutes ago
- › [Updated] FS: new Bottlehead S.E.X. v2.1 w/ C4S & Impedance Switch... 2 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 4 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 4 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Grado Labs SR225e by yage
- › Tekfusion Twinwoofers by BillsonChang007
- › ATH-ESW10JPN by bluelines
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M40x Professional Headphones by krishtrinity1
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by subwoof3r
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by lin0003
- › FiiO Kilimanjaro 2 (E11K) Portable Headphone Amplifier by twister6
- › Audio Technica Sonic Fuel ATH-CKX9iS In-ear Headphones with In-line... by TheAfterEffect
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by eke2k6
- › ASUS Essence III by 00lunar
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)