Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-1: Diamond in the Rough. (Rev 1.2 Update Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-1: Diamond in the Rough. (Rev 1.2 Update Added) - Page 4

post #46 of 84
Thread Starter 
.

Edited by eke2k6 - 8/6/12 at 5:02am

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #47 of 84

Vurious, what is that EQ application you're using and is it available on Andriod? 

post #48 of 84
Sorry if I'm rekindling a dead thread, but I just have a quick question

Is the Aurisonics 1.2 still better than the new Vsonic GR07 mk ii?
post #49 of 84
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickH9 View Post

Sorry if I'm rekindling a dead thread, but I just have a quick question
Is the Aurisonics 1.2 still better than the new Vsonic GR07 mk ii?

 

Stock, no.

 

With EQ'ed highs, yes.

post #50 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

Stock, no.

With EQ'ed highs, yes.

But isn't just EQ'ing the highs a very simple thing to do? I was thinking of either getting the GR07 mk ii new for $165 or a used pair of Aurisonics for around $180.
post #51 of 84
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickH9 View Post


But isn't just EQ'ing the highs a very simple thing to do? I was thinking of either getting the GR07 mk ii new for $165 or a used pair of Aurisonics for around $180.

 

It is, but for some people it's a hassle.

post #52 of 84

Any EQs for a Cowon S9? Getting my ASG 1.2s soon and need a good EQ!

post #53 of 84

I enjoyed your review especially the virtual barber was pretty amazing

post #54 of 84
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlooienuker View Post

Any EQs for a Cowon S9? Getting my ASG 1.2s soon and need a good EQ!

 

I don't have anything specific for the S9, but these are the bands I modify: 5000 Hz : +2.0 dB. 8000 Hz : +2.0 dB. 12000 Hz : +5.0 dB 16000 Hz : +5.5 dB.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ertai View Post

I enjoyed your review especially the virtual barber was pretty amazing

 

 

Thank you.

post #55 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

The stock ASG-1.2 requires work in the highs to get to my ideal signature. The GR07 is my ideal signature,but it lacks the qualities of the ASG-1

Aside from quantity, can you compare their treble qualities? I find my GR07, even after 100 hours, too sibilant without EQ. In fact, I'm finding myself going to extremes with EQ, slashing the 6kHz, 8kHz, and 10kHz bands by about 10-12dB. I'm using the uDAC-1 as source and lossless files. Perhaps I'm just not in love with treble.

post #56 of 84
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigon_ridge View Post

Aside from quantity, can you compare their treble qualities? I find my GR07, even after 100 hours, too sibilant without EQ. In fact, I'm finding myself going to extremes with EQ, slashing the 6kHz, 8kHz, and 10kHz bands by about 10-12dB. I'm using the uDAC-1 as source and lossless files. Perhaps I'm just not in love with treble.

Good grief. You must have severe treble allergies.

In that case you'd love the ASG-1. The soundscape is bigger and more 3D, possessing more height than anything I've heard. The treble is also very smooth and refined, while residing in the background
post #57 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post


Good grief. You must have severe treble allergies.
In that case you'd love the ASG-1. The soundscape is bigger and more 3D, possessing more height than anything I've heard. The treble is also very smooth and refined, while residing in the background

Well I'm listening to them with EQ off right now, and I don't understand how you and other gr07 owners can stand their sibilance and brightness. Also, there are times when they sound somewhat shrill/brittle; which I fixed by toning down the 12kHz and 16kHz bands by 4-6dB.

 

The gr07, imho, has a somewhat U-shape signature... If it weren't for EQ, I'd probably sell these; although I still prefer their stock sound to the SM3's overly thick and lush, veiled sound.


Edited by tigon_ridge - 10/28/12 at 11:49am
post #58 of 84
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigon_ridge View Post

Well I'm listening to them with EQ off right now, and I don't understand how you and other gr07 owners can stand their sibilance and brightness. Also, there are times when they sound somewhat shrill/brittle; which I fixed by toning down the 12kHz and 16kHz bands by 4-6dB.

The gr07, imho, has a somewhat U-shape signature... If it weren't for EQ, I'd probably sell these; although I still prefer their stock sound to the SM3's overly thick and lush, veiled sound.

Question. How loud are you listening?

Unless you're maxing your player, I don't see why anyone would cut the treble by 10db. Have you toyed with tips and rotating the nozzle around to get a better fit?

From what I've read, you may dislike the asg as much as the sm3
post #59 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post


Question. How loud are you listening?
Unless you're maxing your player, I don't see why anyone would cut the treble by 10db. Have you toyed with tips and rotating the nozzle around to get a better fit?
From what I've read, you may dislike the asg as much as the sm3

Hmm... my listening volume is such that I can listen comfortably (with EQ) for at least 2 hours (maybe even longer) continuously. So, I would say between 65 and 75 dB? Fit is perfect with the current tips I'm using. I've used the foamies, the single flange, and double flange, all of which are stock. I didn't hear a significant difference, if any, in sound signature switching between those tips.

 

"From what I've read, you may dislike the asg as much as the sm3" I see. I never cared much for the sm3; and for its price, it really let me down big time. I enjoyed the re0 and stock gr07 much more, and the EQ'd gr07 much much more still.

 

I don't have much experience with headphones. Right now, I have a theory: perhaps I can tolerate more treble quantity, if better treble quality accompanies it. Can you tell me from your experience whether that has any truth?

 

One thing I found interesting... people said the sm3's treble is subdued, but I hear significant sibilance from it. I don't know what to attribute this to... I'm kinda lost in the world of hi-fi audio right now in regards to treble. Care to shed some light?

post #60 of 84
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigon_ridge View Post

Hmm... my listening volume is such that I can listen comfortably (with EQ) for at least 2 hours (maybe even longer) continuously. So, I would say between 65 and 75 dB? Fit is perfect with the current tips I'm using. I've used the foamies, the single flange, and double flange, all of which are stock. I didn't hear a significant difference, if any, in sound signature switching between those tips.

 

"From what I've read, you may dislike the asg as much as the sm3" I see. I never cared much for the sm3; and for its price, it really let me down big time. I enjoyed the re0 and stock gr07 much more, and the EQ'd gr07 much much more still.

 

I don't have much experience with headphones. Right now, I have a theory: perhaps I can tolerate more treble quantity, if better treble quality accompanies it. Can you tell me from your experience whether that has any truth?

 

One thing I found interesting... people said the sm3's treble is subdued, but I hear significant sibilance from it. I don't know what to attribute this to... I'm kinda lost in the world of hi-fi audio right now in regards to treble. Care to shed some light?

 

Ah, ok. I find the Gr07's tonal balance to be near perfect. The only thing I find it to lack is the last bit of refinement in the treble, now that I've heard something like the HF3. I don't find it harsh at all, but it emphasizes sibilance if it's in the track.

 

Sibilance is the last thing you'll find on the ASG-1. Come to think of it, the treble follows your liking, since I have to EQ it up by 5 to 10 db for it to be to my taste.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-1: Diamond in the Rough. (Rev 1.2 Update Added)