Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Good news about Android phone supports digital audio output
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good news about Android phone supports digital audio output - Page 5

post #61 of 253

Count me in, I am interested!!!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by feiao View Post

Seems not so many head-fi'er are interested in DAC for Android phone? we need more feedback to decide to make a portable DAC for Android phone. I think it is a good solution for portable music.

post #62 of 253
USB audio is enabled on factory Samsung Galaxy S III connected to a USB sound stick:
 
"I just tested one of those cheap PC usb audio sticks with a c-media chipset and it works fine with the SGS3 too. Here's the dmesg output when I plug it in:
 
<6>[ 1087.974405] c0 usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0d8c, idProduct=000c
<6>[ 1087.974547] c0 usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=1, SerialNumber=0
<6>[ 1087.974695] c0 usb 2-1: Product: C-Media USB Headphone Set 
 
 
A list of USB ID's:
 
idVendor: 0d8c  C-Media Electronics, Inc. [noname USB sound stick, ...]
idProduct: 000c  Audio Adapter"
 
 
Some USB sound sticks:
 
"The small stick is very contact-friendly: a stereo output to connect to an active speaker system or head set, a microphone input and an optical digital output leave nothing else to be desired. Enjoying music, films and video games in perfect digital sound quality via your AV system."
 
 
Keep lobbying for the Android USB audio standardisation (i.e. USB DAC as a standard USB device, like a USB mass storage device, for Android smartphone/tablet).
 
Vote: Click on the star (it appears after signing in)
post #63 of 253
Thread Starter 

waiting for my Galaxy III and will report the feedback to you guys when we finish the testing. 

post #64 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by feiao View Post

waiting for my Galaxy III and will report the feedback to you guys when we finish the testing. 

popcorn.gif

post #65 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by feiao View Post

Seems not so many head-fi'er are interested in DAC for Android phone? we need more feedback to decide to make a portable DAC for Android phone. I think it is a good solution for portable music.
I'm interested as well, count me in!
Waiting for support on my Galaxy Nexus though..
post #66 of 253
USB audio is also enabled on factory Samsung Galaxy S III connected to a USB DAC/amp FiiO E7:
 
 
Keep lobbying for the Android USB audio standardisation (i.e. USB DAC as a standard USB device, like a USB mass storage device, for Android smartphone/tablet).
 
Vote: Click on the star (it appears after signing in)
post #67 of 253

Is that the quad-core international or dual-core north american Galaxy S3?  Would there be a difference in the kernel?

post #68 of 253

It's a quad-core SGS3.

 

The quad-core SGS3 and the dual-core SGS3 should have the same USB chip.

If it is very likely the case, USB audio should be also enabled on dual-core SGS3, because ALSA USB audio stack is a software stuff.

post #69 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by feiao View Post

We may develop a new portable DAC for all Android phone , some different with our E17/E7,

 

1, the power is total powered by build in battery, we may consider to provide extra battery to the phone too. maybe we can put a 3000mAh battery inside the DAC, lol.

 

2, maybe only support up to 48k/16bit if the phone can only output such format, but we may use better DAC like WM8741 which is better than WM8740,

 

3, better EMI design to prevent the GSM interference.

 

4, slim design to pair with smartphone.


This will work nicely, even if it does not take off immediately, it could gain speed quickly. The extra battery alone is a brilliant idea. And what I think you should do is (unlike the go-dap 4) don't fix the form factor, leave it slim, but open up a design for a cover/jacket that can wrap over the phone and the dac/amp that way other manufacturers can make custom designs for different phones. And you just charge a licence fee. So the option is there if people want it.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk 2
post #70 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by feiao View Post

We may develop a new portable DAC for all Android phone , some different with our E17/E7,

 

1, the power is total powered by build in battery, we may consider to provide extra battery to the phone too. maybe we can put a 3000mAh battery inside the DAC, lol.

 

2, maybe only support up to 48k/16bit if the phone can only output such format, but we may use better DAC like WM8741 which is better than WM8740,

 

3, better EMI design to prevent the GSM interference.

 

4, slim design to pair with smartphone.

 

This would be awesome! 

 

BTW, your E7 IS working with the S III, just tested it tonight when it arrived (after my E17 didn't work, even when connected to an external power supply).

 

A solution like the one above, basically with an extended battery/portable charger, would be an awesome solution for a phone-specific solution (good enough that you'd prise even more money from me if it sounded better than the E7!).


Edited by NZtechfreak - 6/6/12 at 6:46am
post #71 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiR3D View Post


This will work nicely, even if it does not take off immediately, it could gain speed quickly. The extra battery alone is a brilliant idea. And what I think you should do is (unlike the go-dap 4) don't fix the form factor, leave it slim, but open up a design for a cover/jacket that can wrap over the phone and the dac/amp that way other manufacturers can make custom designs for different phones. And you just charge a licence fee. So the option is there if people want it.
Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk 2

 

I like your thinking too...

post #72 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post

I like your thinking too...

I posted the idea in another thread and AnakChan said he thought of it too, and spoke to some of the Venturecraft guys about it, buy they pretty much just said no.

 

I really think it would be awesum, then you would not need rubber bands or anything, you could get a awesum looking cover that will protect your phone and the device with whatever design on that you like most. And aren't the Japanese and Chinese (not being racist or ignorant) crazy about customization anyway?

post #73 of 253
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiR3D View Post


This will work nicely, even if it does not take off immediately, it could gain speed quickly. The extra battery alone is a brilliant idea. And what I think you should do is (unlike the go-dap 4) don't fix the form factor, leave it slim, but open up a design for a cover/jacket that can wrap over the phone and the dac/amp that way other manufacturers can make custom designs for different phones. And you just charge a licence fee. So the option is there if people want it.
Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk 2

 

I think there will have very few small company/diy house like to develop a extra portable DAC for Andriod phone, the market is too narrow . 

post #74 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by feiao View Post

 

I think there will have very few small company/diy house like to develop a extra portable DAC for Andriod phone, the market is too narrow . 

no not the dac, the JACKET! Like this but one for the phone and the device. They are reasonable cheap to make, no? 

post #75 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by feiao View Post

 

I think there will have very few small company/diy house like to develop a extra portable DAC for Andriod phone, the market is too narrow . 

 

While I have your attention, I don't suppose a firmware upgrade for the E17 could fix operability with the S III?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Good news about Android phone supports digital audio output