Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › The Offical Unoffical SNES Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Offical Unoffical SNES Thread - Page 8

post #106 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X View Post

I think emulation is a grey area so I would be cautious guys.. You know, piracy.

 

But speaking of emulation, I only play games on the PC that I own on disc or cart already. I use ZSNESX on the PC. I had the games dumed to .snes files and burned them to a disc for storage. I play them when ever I don't feel like playing them on the Retron 3.

 

I own around 60 NES games and I had a friend dump them onto his PC with some parallel device. I think burned them to a CD-R and have them for archiving. It's not illegal to have .nes files if you own the original games. I want to preserve my games so I dump them and use an emulator to preserve what I have. My NES won't work forever..

 

I also have a couple flash cards for my NDS that let me play all my games. I dumped all my NDS games onto a Micro SD card and plug that into my flashcard and play away. I have 30 NDS games and that's a hassle to carry around, so I dump them on my NDS and play them from one cart. You can break the law with flash carts so a word of warning.

 

REMEMBER: If you own the original cart/disc it's perfectly legal to have a back-up of that.

 

 

True. It is a grey area. But only because of copyright laws which are ment to protect the IP owners products from piracy and secure profits. However since these games are 15+ years olds, you cant get them anywhere new and only ones getting money are used game sellers and price increasing resellers. All carts have been sold forward years ago and money has been made, the copyright law has succesfully done its job. Though now that Wiiware and similar are around and the catalog of old games available there is increasing this argument gets thinner.

 

Now that I said it this is pretty much the same situation as abandonware discussions around the web years ago, before the times of GOG.

 

Still though, there is one thing Wiiware and such will never offer, fantranlations of games that were never localized and never will be (they most likely wont bother). Like Seiken Densetsu 3, one of the best 16bit JRPGs ever made.


Edited by MaZa - 5/25/12 at 11:50pm
post #107 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

... looked that FREAKING epic

 

Fanart certainly does.

 

2009-01-11-136208.jpeg

 

 

02398456923847569278356.jpg

post #108 of 150

A thread about SNES awesomeness?  Count me in!  My personal favorite(though I have many) is Super Mario RPG.  Bowser, Mario and the Princess working together, great visuals and a story as only Squaresoft can tell it, makes for one memorable gaming experience.

post #109 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaZa View Post

 

 

Trust me, dpads on modern pads are GARBAGE for old games. Above solution may be hassle but its not expensive and worth every penny and minute if you do SNES emulation a lot. Added benefit of SNES pad is that it is also magnificent for NES games, it still has the right feel for that.

 

Hmm, what's so bad about modern dpads? why can't you use the analog sticks?

post #110 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weee View Post

Hmm, what's so bad about modern dpads? why can't you use the analog sticks?

 

Analog thumbsticks feel completely wrong for DIGITAL inputs to a lot of us, precisely because of all the travel they have that makes them suitable as analog controls. It doesn't always feel as consistent as a D-Pad or microswitched arcade stick.

 

That, and some people go as far as to use whatever gamepad fits the console they're emulating for that extra sense of authenticity. There are fancy converters like the Bliss-Box out there designed to handle more gamepads than you can shake a stick at, even some obscure ones.

post #111 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post

 

Analog thumbsticks feel completely wrong for DIGITAL inputs to a lot of us, precisely because of all the travel they have that makes them suitable as analog controls. It doesn't always feel as consistent as a D-Pad or microswitched arcade stick.

 

That, and some people go as far as to use whatever gamepad fits the console they're emulating for that extra sense of authenticity. There are fancy converters like the Bliss-Box out there designed to handle more gamepads than you can shake a stick at, even some obscure ones.

 

So it has to deal with feel rather than performance? I've always used xbox controller w/ xpadder (3rd party software that lets you customize what every controller button does) and would use the analog sticks when emulating. Never had a problem.

post #112 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital-Pride View Post

A thread about SNES awesomeness?  Count me in!  My personal favorite(though I have many) is Super Mario RPG.  Bowser, Mario and the Princess working together, great visuals and a story as only Squaresoft can tell it, makes for one memorable gaming experience.

You just won some major cool points.
post #113 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post


That, and some people go as far as to use whatever gamepad fits the console they're emulating for that extra sense of authenticity. There are fancy converters like the Bliss-Box out there designed to handle more gamepads than you can shake a stick at, even some obscure ones.

 

 

And I am such person and promote it. Modern dpads feel wrong for that kind of games, to the point it affects my performance.

 

Though it may have something to do with the fact that I spent my childhood around these consoles. :)

post #114 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post


You just won some major cool points.

 

Lol, thanks.  It was the first rpg I ever played.  I remember when my Dad got for my brother and I from Funcoland back in '97.  I think Funcoland was still a separate company back then, though I'm not sure.  It's definitely in my personal top 10 of all the games I've played.

post #115 of 150
Super Mario RPG is a game I could play every year. It's just amazing.
post #116 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Super Mario RPG is a game I could play every year. It's just amazing.

 

Funny you should mention that.  I finished the game for the umpteenth time late last year and enjoyed every minute of it.biggrin.gif

post #117 of 150

SNES ftw. I still have my original console (still functioning), but my mother threw out the box with *most* of our games. I'm left with DKC and DKC2. Two games that I've finished multiple times. I remember playing Earthworm Jim. I loved that game. I'd love to go back and buy all of the games I've lost, but they're so expensive and hard to find (maybe I'm not looking hard enough).

post #118 of 150

I suggest you checkout SNES pc emulation.  It's a great way to play the classics.  Nice avatar by the way.smily_headphones1.gif

post #119 of 150
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X View Post

I think emulation is a grey area so I would be cautious guys.. You know, piracy.

 

But speaking of emulation, I only play games on the PC that I own on disc or cart already. I use ZSNESX on the PC. I had the games dumed to .snes files and burned them to a disc for storage. I play them when ever I don't feel like playing them on the Retron 3.

 

I own around 60 NES games and I had a friend dump them onto his PC with some parallel device. I think burned them to a CD-R and have them for archiving. It's not illegal to have .nes files if you own the original games. I want to preserve my games so I dump them and use an emulator to preserve what I have. My NES won't work forever..

 

I also have a couple flash cards for my NDS that let me play all my games. I dumped all my NDS games onto a Micro SD card and plug that into my flashcard and play away. I have 30 NDS games and that's a hassle to carry around, so I dump them on my NDS and play them from one cart. You can break the law with flash carts so a word of warning.

 

REMEMBER: If you own the original cart/disc it's perfectly legal to have a back-up of that.

Yea the whole grey area thing comes into play, the games are so old the copyright is rather expired and once agin... most of the companies that made the games r gone and NO ONE CARES <3 seriously there r e nough movie piraters that SNES rom guys don't get ANY attention... plus once you start patching those JRPGS with engllish text hacks it's not the same game any moar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaZa View Post

 

 

And I am such person and promote it. Modern dpads feel wrong for that kind of games, to the point it affects my performance.

 

Though it may have something to do with the fact that I spent my childhood around these consoles. :)

I have to say the Wiis  Classic Pro controller feels AWESOME, just like snes imo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital-Pride View Post

I suggest you checkout SNES pc emulation.  It's a great way to play the classics.  Nice avatar by the way.smily_headphones1.gif

Wii is also a good emulator <3

post #120 of 150

A Link to the Past is the reason my family got an SNES. God I love that game. Star Fox, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Final Fantasy III... among dozens and dozens of others which have stood the test of time as amazing experiences.

 

20 years later, and I continue to find great games on the SNES I haven't played.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › The Offical Unoffical SNES Thread