Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › 'End-game' headphone rigs, unicorns and other myths
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'End-game' headphone rigs, unicorns and other myths - Page 11

post #151 of 286

I would just like to point out that this thread perpetuates unicorn racism!  I cannot believe we are lumping something imaginary like end-game headphone rigs, with such amazing and very real creatures such as unicorns.  

 

Shame on you all for not pointing out this blatant breach of unicorn rights

post #152 of 286

Back of the bus unicorn luver.

post #153 of 286

6c004462_floats_twilight.png

 

...

 

...

 

...

 

442bce99_rarity_hipster_headfi.png

post #154 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarmi View Post

 

 

 M2Tech Evo or the new Audiophilleo Pure Power is where it's at for the top of the crop USB to SPDIF converters - had the chance to quickly demo the new Pure Power

 unit at a friend's place, the rig was not mine so it was a little difficult to ascertain any real improvements - in any case I'll be upgrading from my Audiophilleo 1 in due

 course biggrin.gif

 

 Could not imagine going back to USB on my Rega DAC - it is very average indeed.

wow that one looks cool.

 

lol yeah. i wouldn't use the USB on my DLIII, most dacs only add the usb for convinience.

 

the rega dac looks cool, not many people have it though. i saw it at an audio store i went to a couple months back, almost bought one lol.

post #155 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

wow that one looks cool.

 

lol yeah. i wouldn't use the USB on my DLIII, most dacs only add the usb for convinience.

 

the rega dac looks cool, not many people have it though. i saw it at an audio store i went to a couple months back, almost bought one lol.

http://www.audiophilleo.com/ Sounds like it's a very good choice for a dac and power supply to go with the woo audio headphone amps! http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/audiophilleo/1.html http://www.tweak-fi.com/.../10035485-review-audiophilleo-2-usb-to-spdif-...


Edited by our martin - 5/13/12 at 6:36am
post #156 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

wow that one looks cool.

 

lol yeah. i wouldn't use the USB on my DLIII, most dacs only add the usb for convinience.

 

the rega dac looks cool, not many people have it though. i saw it at an audio store i went to a couple months back, almost bought one lol.

 

 The Rega DAC is a total winner in the sense that it has an organic, lush, vinyl sounding coloration that is very difficult to find in other

 manufactured DAC's - I've sat there with an Audio-gd Reference 7.1 and thought - there is more separation, ease and even odd detail

 on the big Audio-gd flagship and yet - it is missing that analogue, organic tone compared to the Rega.

 

 There's even one dealer down here in Australia who famously says - 'Rega DAC, add a $1 to the RRP to make it $1999 - mate, still a bargain'

 

 Has to be used though via SPDIF and Optical, that's a given.

post #157 of 286
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarmi View Post

 

 The Rega DAC is a total winner in the sense that it has an organic, lush, vinyl sounding coloration that is very difficult to find in other

 manufactured DAC's - I've sat there with an Audio-gd Reference 7.1 and thought - there is more separation, ease and even odd detail

 on the big Audio-gd flagship and yet - it is missing that analogue, organic tone compared to the Rega.

 

 There's even one dealer down here in Australia who famously says - 'Rega DAC, add a $1 to the RRP to make it $1999 - mate, still a bargain'

 

 Has to be used though via SPDIF and Optical, that's a given.

 

Thanks for that - I suspect that it comes down to system matching, but others claim the Rega's sound signature is the exact opposite of your description - I know they lost sales to Nad's M51 - might be a burn-in thing or just poorly matched gear ? 

post #158 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by estreeter View Post

 

Thanks for that - I suspect that it comes down to system matching, but others claim the Rega's sound signature is the exact opposite of your description - I know they lost sales to Nad's M51 - might be a burn-in thing or just poorly matched gear ? 

 

 

 I suspect it most likely is bad system matching - I've heard a few different units now, both on 2 channel rigs and with various head amps - I will also say that it depends on

 on that synergy - but harsh, lean, and brittle as an opposite description? Guess everyone has a different spin on it - might pay for units like Burson's AB 160 buffer to

 be more prominent for constant system swaps.

 

 It can definitely give skewed results - like eg, Arcam's little rDAC being a bass beast - I could not agree more and yet there are a few reviews that seem to omit this

- having owned it - using many different headphones, and various interconnects with it - I had no other conclusion on hand.

post #159 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by estreeter View Post

 

I can see why you arent 'Gradofan1'  rolleyes.gif

 

Rest assured that I'll be rolling out the AD2K in a very special rig that will blow your mind. Sure, that's still 23 months and another continent away, but you strike me as a patient chap.  biggrin.gif

 

Right... well the RS-1's also synergize with the Isabellina well too... but.. the AD2K's just have a wee bit bigger sound.  These low impedance phones all mate with it really well.  It's just that the AD2K's are phenomenal - and so few have really experienced them at their best.

post #160 of 286
i been at ''end-game'' for some time now where i have nothing but absolute appreciation for what i have. yea i still audition here and there and try new stuff but never felt i ''needed'' them in anyway. i just enjoy them while i have them on borrow or whatever and when it's time i just send it back or if locally i just set it back at rightful place. never had the urge or whatever you call it. i say i'm pretty mellow and well self-controlled guy.
post #161 of 286

My end game rig...

 

Audio-gd NFB-7 & Audio-gd Master-6 with LCD2r2 or HE-6 or Beyer T1.

 

I'm done biggrin.gif

post #162 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Doug View Post

I would just like to point out that this thread perpetuates unicorn racism!  I cannot believe we are lumping something imaginary like end-game headphone rigs, with such amazing and very real creatures such as unicorns.  

 

Shame on you all for not pointing out this blatant breach of unicorn rights

 

Once, I saw an unicorn being powered by the socket of a headphone amplifier.

post #163 of 286
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonyfirst View Post

 

Once, I saw an unicorn being powered by the socket of a headphone amplifier.

 

Were you physically aroused by that ? rolleyes.gif

post #164 of 286

Almost: it got fried too quickly.

 

 

Otherwise, I see my post hasn't remained alone in crapping the thread. rolleyes.gif

post #165 of 286
Thread Starter 

The difference is that I started the thread, but point taken. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › 'End-game' headphone rigs, unicorns and other myths