or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The ATH-CKS77. - Page 85

post #1261 of 1512
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelvinSF View Post

So, after reading various experiences in this thread, I bought a pair of ATH-CKS77LTD's on eBay from a Hong-Kong based seller. It arrived today. 

First, these things are gorgeous. Loving the metallic red. They're much bigger than what I'm used to, and I have to say I find that a little uncomfortable, but I could get used to that if the sound is as good as I read. I gave them a quick first listen, and they're clearly in need of some burn-in, but the lows sounded very good. And, wow, these things are absolute bass-cannons.

Sadly, I quickly discovered there's something loose inside the left earphone. It's very easy to hear when I shake it, sometimes even when I take it out of my ear. I'm not sure how worried I should be about this. Just in case, I contacted the seller asking if I could get it replaced, if it does turn out to be a problem...

Those are good folks, it might take a bit longer but I am certain they will replace it. They are fair people=good people in dealing with them. It does seem the rejected pairs probably has zero burn in. I noticed I had to burn my pair in but got to the same sound as my original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post

I'd just like to chime in here and say how surprised I am yet again with Audio-Technica's house sound, especially to how it relates to female vocals. I don't like how Sennhesiers make female vocals sound. Papery and thin. I think it's due to the rolled-off treble that many headphones have. I can remember the M-Audio Q40 having a papery quality to female vocals and having them just sound so distant compared to everything else in the spectrum.

 

On the Ath-M50 and the CKS77 moreseo, it's like there's some distance between the listener and the female vocalist. It's like there's time for their voice to get some air before it enters my ear canal. It feels like they're talking to me at 2 or 3 away. Not too close and not too far. This might be the Audio-Technica sound signature and I absolutely love it.

 

I think I"m becoming more of a treblehead as time goes on due to what it gives to female vocalists.

 

As another point of comparison, the Philips Citiscape Uptowns and Dwontowns have their vocals sound very shouty. It's fun, but unnatural in comparison.

 

Koss DJ100 sounds great with female vocals.

You have to try a CKM500. It is awesome for the price. One of my all time faves for certain. More of the new AT house sound. These CKS77 are too much fun not to have. I love using them for gaming too. These and Diablo 3 is crazy.

post #1262 of 1512
Hey Dsnuts I know you dont like the M50s much but do you think they are worth$70?
post #1263 of 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis8ball View Post

I'd be suspicious you might have gotten a fake.

 

Unfortunately most of what you see on eBay that is being sold from the Far East or the Orient are merely posers selling fake goods. Sounds like you may have received some fakes.

 

One thing that makes me a little leary is your picture. . .it depicts an earphone with a straight plug. But the genuine CKS77s have an angled 'L-Shaped' plug design.


Well. I took that picture straight off audio-technica's website. :P The LTD version has a different cable (a short one with an extension cord). Various people in this thread, including Dsnuts if I'm not mistaken, got a pair from the same store as I did.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

Those are good folks, it might take a bit longer but I am certain they will replace it. They are fair people=good people in dealing with them. It does seem the rejected pairs probably has zero burn in. I noticed I had to burn my pair in but got to the same sound as my original.


Yeah, I read several posts in this thread saying they need a fair amount of burn-in to get to the level of a boxed pair. I'm looking forward to hearing them at their full potential. biggrin.gif

 

Anyhow, I guess I should get it replaced. I'm not fond of having to wait several weeks for another pair though. frown.gif

post #1264 of 1512
Thread Starter 

sure if they are in good condition. If not you can get a WS55 for just a little more and actually have a better balanced sound over the M50. But for the cost in good shape thats a good deal.

post #1265 of 1512
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelvinSF View Post


Well. I took that picture straight off audio-technica's website. :P The LTD version has a different cable (a short one with an extension cord). Various people in this thread, including Dsnuts if I'm not mistaken, got a pair from the same store as I did.


 


Yeah, I read several posts in this thread saying they need a fair amount of burn-in to get to the level of a boxed pair. I'm looking forward to hearing them at their full potential. biggrin.gif

 

Anyhow, I guess I should get it replaced. I'm not fond of having to wait several weeks for another pair though. frown.gif


IT seems those guys pay more attention to what they are sending to you on the 2nd try.  It will be worth the wait.

post #1266 of 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhesive View Post

Don't recall exactly, they had a few models, ranging from around 4,000 to 9,800 yen. I'll make a trip there on Monday and give you some exact numbers. Nothing in Japan is a deal though, other than tobacco and women. :cheers:

So, the 77s are 6800 yen, about $85 usd out the door. Not too bad for a guaranteed working pair.
post #1267 of 1512
.

Edited by Louis8ball - 7/15/12 at 9:13pm
post #1268 of 1512

sub.png
 

Sub-bass is no longer missing.

post #1269 of 1512

I've been looking for an IEM that really hit the deep sub-bass, didn't sound muddy or wash out the mids and highs, and had a good soundstage. It seemed like the bassiest earphones that fit the bill were either the Atrio MG5 or the Hippo VB. I was about to go with the Hippos because of the soundstage but I kept seeing mention of the CKS77s. More searching and after reading a good portion of this thread, I went with the black/red CKS77 from Accessory Jack. Anxiously waiting for them to arrive in a couple of weeks!

post #1270 of 1512
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephan View Post

I've been looking for an IEM that really hit the deep sub-bass, didn't sound muddy or wash out the mids and highs, and had a good soundstage. It seemed like the bassiest earphones that fit the bill were either the Atrio MG5 or the Hippo VB. I was about to go with the Hippos because of the soundstage but I kept seeing mention of the CKS77s. More searching and after reading a good portion of this thread, I went with the black/red CKS77 from Accessory Jack. Anxiously waiting for them to arrive in a couple of weeks!

Good call. These will fit exactly what your looking for in and iem. I have them in my ears as I type actually..

post #1271 of 1512

I was looking for some earbuds in the $100 and less range to upgrade my Sennheiser CX 300 IIs. I previously owned the CX 870 and was thinking of ordering those again when I stumbled upon this thread. CKS77s ordered! Should arrive in a day or two, can't wait :D

post #1272 of 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by antihcl View Post

I was looking for some earbuds in the $100 and less range to upgrade my Sennheiser CX 300 IIs. I previously owned the CX 870 and was thinking of ordering those again when I stumbled upon this thread. CKS77s ordered! Should arrive in a day or two, can't wait :D

 

Interesting to hear your thoughts on the CKS77 vs. the CX870, even from memory. I just got my CX870 today and I sold the CKS77 a month or so ago.

post #1273 of 1512
How is the noise cancellation & sound isolation?
post #1274 of 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by jant71 View Post

 

Interesting to hear your thoughts on the CKS77 vs. the CX870, even from memory. I just got my CX870 today and I sold the CKS77 a month or so ago.

 

Will do. I loved the CX870 and I remember exactly what they sounded like. May I ask why you sold your CKS77s?

post #1275 of 1512

I didn't like the way the mids and treble were presented. Vocals didn't pop for me and express much emotion. The treble didn't offend nor excite me either. To me a nice quality of bass that had some things going for it let down and less cohesive with the other parts of spectrum kinda not joining the party but more like they were trying to stay out of the way and not draw much attention to themselves. For me that did the opposite and satisfying bass alone only gets you so far/lasts so long. So, after the novelty of the bass wore off, I sold them. Not to offend those that love them but they aren't for everyone. Certainly a phone worth trying out though.


Edited by jant71 - 7/20/12 at 6:13pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: