Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The ATH-CKS77..Big, roomy, detailed, balanced, n I am not just talking about the bass.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The ATH-CKS77..Big, roomy, detailed, balanced, n I am not just talking about the bass. - Page 10

post #136 of 1475
Thread Starter 

OK. So this might shed some light.

 

I took a good look at the contents of the CKS77 packaging and these might be a clue to why there are unboxed versions.

 

take a look. 040912125857.jpg Its stated above the Audio-Technica in bold.. For product improvement this product is subject to modification without notice.  A clue? So what happens when you make these and decide to tweek the sound for better performance yet you have a batch of older first run models.  Sell it in the black market and in this case through ebay for people that coudn't care? See this is very much a possibility and something that probably happens more than we think. Why throw away experiments when you can recoup your cost.? In china stuff happens.!

 

Then there is this description of the extra chamber from the paper work.

040912125917.jpg  That air chamber does much more than just the bass my friends.

 

Bottom line.. Get originals.


Edited by Dsnuts - 4/9/12 at 12:16pm
post #137 of 1475

Dsnuts.. how would you characterize the midrange & treble tonality, accuracy, etc.?  Is the treble sparkly, crisp, smooth, etc?  What kind of clarity can we expect from the midrange.  I've never heard an AT phone so I'm not familiar with their 'house sound.'

post #138 of 1475

nice diagram :)

post #139 of 1475
I might call AT to see if they can replace my ckm50s for cks77s. I mean, the list is damn near the same price on both, and how do they know if I bought them for more. LOL doubt it.
post #140 of 1475

I would not get those either.  However, if I was interested as you are, I would ask the seller questions regarding evidence that those are genuine.  I did this recently, for a set of SONY CR2032 batteries.  I even asked for a picture of the expiration date print.  The seller gave me all the evidence that I had asked for, I bought the item and indeed it was a genuine one.


Edited by Alberto01 - 4/9/12 at 1:33pm
post #141 of 1475

I contacted soundprofessionals.com and they said that since these headphones are consumer oriented and not professional oriented the price they can get them for is horrible, $96 direct. 

post #142 of 1475
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

Dsnuts.. how would you characterize the midrange & treble tonality, accuracy, etc.?  Is the treble sparkly, crisp, smooth, etc?  What kind of clarity can we expect from the midrange.  I've never heard an AT phone so I'm not familiar with their 'house sound.'



Oh yes. AT house sound. It is generally the very detailed sparkly extended highs and smooth detailed mids that AT is known for. Their higher end BAs  CK10s,  Joker reviewed are just that. As well as there dynamics  CKM33, CKM77, CKM99s. But they also do consumer sound which means big bass and usually has their trademark extended highs. The CKM50. Many of you guys have should know what I am talking about and the full sized M50s. So the most common house sound trait at least for consumer level AT stuff is indeed their sparkly extended highs. For the bass lovers the Pro700Mk2s. Being a manufacturer of high end audio gear, headphones and earphones for over 50 years. These guys are generally very focused on a type of sound they are going for an achieves it through their various offerings.

 

Now so where does the CKS77 stand in the scheme of things?. Well these take the better parts of what AT does and then adds to that the 5% depth. I have bought plenty of earphones that try to be what these are but never quite achieving what these do..Everything in the sound of these earphones are finely crafted. I can tell the work these guys did to achieve this sound. Everything to the materials used, aluminum dampening for greater accuracy and detail. The second air chamber that adds depth so many earphones just don't have.The highs while not as extended as lets say a TF10 but is very satisfactory for me. Many of you guys know how important bass is to my ears but many of you guys don't know how important highs are to me. This is where if it lacks or sound weird it gets the boot from me without a second thought. The highs are very capable, full and natural sounding. No coloration or weird tonality at all..I would say more detailed crisp than sparkly but on certain tracks the sparkle is there if it has it in the recording so very capable in the upper registers.

 

No harsh treble or sibilance of any kind. Even with recordings that have very pronounced sibilance. Through these earphones it will not hurt to hear it. There is a slight roll off in the very highest of notes but that just makes these sound very smooth in the upper regions without fatigue. I have heard many earphones that either have too much lively highs or too little. These to me are not only dynamic in the depth of the highs but are just right to my ears and certainly not lacking in any detail that one would normally miss in a bassy earphone. I think this impressed me more than the big bass when I first heard them. This is one area that was improved from the former CKS70s. It was the one area that I read where these needed improvement. Again here is where the aluminum interior comes into play.. AT are masters of the highs and their magic is done on these earphone..The highs on the CKS77 are very capable and natural. Plus add %5 depth. You guys will love how the highs will sound on these earphones. Easy on the ears but very accurate and not missing on any high dynamic.

 

This is the reason why these sound great for everything.. Jazz with percussion where high hats maintain the rhythm of the tune. High hats are clearly defined and resonates so well..Many will hear high hats on a new level with these as every time the high hat is struck you can make out just how thick the sound resonates in the tune. You can make out how hard the high hats are struck. For guys that drum you can almost imagine what part of the high hat was struck and how hard. That is depth for you. The mids are equally very natural and non fatiguing. Not colored or too forward or recessed. The clarity while not at a BA level of sound. It quite surprising here as these strike a very fine balance of clarity and while just a tad warm over neutral it is engaging and smooth. Yes the low end does have a bit more prominence over the mids but in a musical manor and not  where it will sound unnatural with overly warm tones or any type of big mid bass hump where normal big bass earphones have a problem with drowning out the mids or even the highs. None of that nonsense is on these..There is a difference in having a big mid bass hump vs having authoritative low end that is thick yet blends into the sound so naturally which these do.

 

If you guys hear tunes with 2 speakers and no sub. Many like this sound as that is your typical stereo sound. But add to that a high end sub woofer and you get a much more fuller more musical sound. That is what you get with these earphones..Vocals come in as clear as any headphone I have and here as well AT does their magic and whatever the vocals have as a dynamic from screams from James Hetfield in Metallica tracks to the smooth heavenly voice of Diana Krall. If the sound engineer threw on a dry raw sound. That is what you get. But if copious amounts of reverb was thrown in. You can hear that as well..Some like their mid range liquidy smooth and I suppose the mids would fall into the lush category in these but at the same time very accurate. Again no weird tonality or recessed nothing.Then add to that the %5Depth. These earphones are for enjoying the heck out of your tunes and not so much analyzing them. And enjoy them I have.

 

 

 

 


Edited by Dsnuts - 4/9/12 at 4:39pm
post #143 of 1475

Thanks for that detailed explanation, Dsnuts.. I'm certainly (even more) excited to hear these.  It's good the see AT incorporating some unique "high-end" type materials & approach to an affordable IEM.  I'm a sucker for unique sounding, versatile phones.. and these seem to fit that bill.  I'd consider myself an 'audiophile type' listener.. but not one that demands absolute accuracy & neutrality.  I value a natural, robust sound more than anything.  I'm also happy to hear the mids & treble weren't tuned as an afterthought to a bass-minded IEM.  I'm pretty critical about the midrange cause that's where the meat of the music originates & lies.

 

I'm not all that particular about a sound signature either (as long as it isn't extreme in one direction or the other).   You're not gonna find a lot of people (like me) on this forum who love the DBA as much as the Quads.. lol.  I just demand that a phone sounds very cohesive & well 'thought out.' 

 

Just how nimble and precise the bass can be will be interesting.. they'll have some formidable competition from the only phone I have that could be considered 'bassy' : the 1964-Q (calling it bassy is quite inaccurate, though).  Obviously pitting a $100 consumer phone against a $500+ professional, custom IEM isn't all that fair.. but I'm curious to see what kind of speed and detail these budget bass monsters with their dual chambers can turn out (when called upon).

 

 

post #144 of 1475

When are your MG7s meant to arrive DsNuts? Sorry if you already said, i looked through the thread and couldnt see it!

 

Im thinking of uprading from my CKM50s, cant imagine what CKS77s or MG7s would sound like with the Sony Z1060 XD

 

Edit

I just looked on Jokers review and he rated the MDTs a 8.9, so with this in mind what would you rate the CKS77 and CKM50? I think i have the same taste as you Dsnuts so shouldnt be too subjective XD

 

Cheers 


Edited by danny93 - 4/10/12 at 7:32am
post #145 of 1475

Just checked that ebay seller with the low prices and he has been known 3x for fakes. One of them happen to be a pair of the CKS's

post #146 of 1475
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

Thanks for that detailed explanation, Dsnuts.. I'm certainly (even more) excited to hear these.  It's good the see AT incorporating some unique "high-end" type materials & approach to an affordable IEM.  I'm a sucker for unique sounding, versatile phones.. and these seem to fit that bill.  I'd consider myself an 'audiophile type' listener.. but not one that demands absolute accuracy & neutrality.  I value a natural, robust sound more than anything.  I'm also happy to hear the mids & treble weren't tuned as an afterthought to a bass-minded IEM.  I'm pretty critical about the midrange cause that's where the meat of the music originates & lies.

 

I'm not all that particular about a sound signature either (as long as it isn't extreme in one direction or the other).   You're not gonna find a lot of people (like me) on this forum who love the DBA as much as the Quads.. lol.  I just demand that a phone sounds very cohesive & well 'thought out.' 

 

Just how nimble and precise the bass can be will be interesting.. they'll have some formidable competition from the only phone I have that could be considered 'bassy' : the 1964-Q (calling it bassy is quite inaccurate, though).  Obviously pitting a $100 consumer phone against a $500+ professional, custom IEM isn't all that fair.. but I'm curious to see what kind of speed and detail these budget bass monsters with their dual chambers can turn out (when called upon).

 

 


See I am a fan of guys like you. People that can understand different signatures and enjoy their music. You have a nice group of higher end earphones and by all means these CKS77 are not gonna out do them or replace them but these remind me of why I got into this hobby in the first place.  They let me enjoy my music and hear them with a fullness only these earphones can provide.. People will think when I did the A/B comparison against the MDTs that maybe this is just my preference or maybe I am biased against the MDTs somehow.. I own them and I enjoy them but I will tell you these CKS77 beat those in every single category and that is an earphone that more or less does what these CKS77 does but to a lesser degree.  Anyone that owns any of the Monster earphones try one of these they will understand exactly what I am talking about. Its not just a small difference either.. It is a clear difference.  That was when I realized. These deserve a fan base. These deserved to be owned and heard by music listening enthusiast. These deserve a place in everyone's collection.. I eagerly look forward to your impressions of these..

 

I think over any other earphones that have been described on these threads these over all of them need to be heard to completely understand. Because of the %5 Depth. I keep on mentioning this. You guys will understand once you hear them.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by danny93 View Post

When are your MG7s meant to arrive DsNuts? Sorry if you already said, i looked through the thread and couldnt see it!

 

Im thinking of uprading from my CKM50s, cant imagine what CKS77s or MG7s would sound like with the Sony Z1060 XD

 

Edit

I just looked on Jokers review and he rated the MDTs a 8.9, so with this in mind what would you rate the CKS77 and CKM50? I think i have the same taste as you Dsnuts so shouldnt be too subjective XD

 

Cheers 


I checked my order it says awaiting fulfillment..I am looking forward to them as it seems to me those would be the direct competitor for this type of sound. Those seem to be one of the best bassy type earphones in the market but I am wondering just how much stage, clarity and balance those have vs these CKS77. All in due time I suppose..You enjoying your new Sony player.. Oh thats another thing. .Guys..If any of you guys are looking for a really nice Android based DAP.. I can't recommend a better one than the new Sony Z1060..It is all about the sound. Just marvelous beyond what anyone can expect. It is simply some of Sony's best work. Many on the Z1000 thread are claiming it is their best DAP ever. I have to agree. Watching a blueray rip of Gladiator and then listening to my collection through the player is JOY + %5 Depth cus you all know what earphones I use with them. Lol!

 


Edited by Dsnuts - 4/10/12 at 9:52am
post #147 of 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by quisxx View Post

Just checked that ebay seller with the low prices and he has been known 3x for fakes. One of them happen to be a pair of the CKS's


I bit the bullet on a pair of red ones from this seller.....mostly wanting to see what I got.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Audio-Technica-ATH-CKS77S-Black-Solid-Bass-Inner-Ear-Headphones-red-/160781072511?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item256f4c787f

 

I've already noted that the coloring on the ones from Accessory Jack is different. (in the pics at least)

 

I've probably ordered fakes, but we'll see.

 

post #148 of 1475
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGRoberts View Post


I bit the bullet on a pair of red ones from this seller.....mostly wanting to see what I got.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Audio-Technica-ATH-CKS77S-Black-Solid-Bass-Inner-Ear-Headphones-red-/160781072511?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item256f4c787f

 

I've already noted that the coloring on the ones from Accessory Jack is different. (in the pics at least)

 

I've probably ordered fakes, but we'll see.

 


See guys. This is called taking one for the team. This is gonna be very interesting to see if these are the real or not..If they have scuffs but sound the same. Hey that is a win in my book.

 

post #149 of 1475

How to determine they are a fake, not having any AT knowledge, and not having a  direct comparison will be very, very hard.

 

May the sound quality be with you.

post #150 of 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed View Post

How to determine they are a fake, not having any AT knowledge, and not having a  direct comparison will be very, very hard.

 

May the sound quality be with you.


*whispers*

I have a REAL pair.

dt880smile.png

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The ATH-CKS77..Big, roomy, detailed, balanced, n I am not just talking about the bass.