Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New AKG Headphones "By Tiësto"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New AKG Headphones "By Tiësto" - Page 19

post #271 of 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by our martin View Post

The akg 3003i are the best in ear headphones you can get they even sound better than jh16s with crystal piccolino cables..if these sound half as good as the 3003i snap them up!


I...what? I'm not sure if this is sarcasm, satire, or being serious.

post #272 of 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCrow View Post


I...what? I'm not sure if this is sarcasm, satire, or being serious.

serious they sound like the hd800s but inside your head i have been testing headphones for the shop they are sh!t hot with alo dac/amp combo..I will find a review to show you..sorry but i have had to paste this review..

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

AKG K3003i

£1000
100100
5
 
 
 
 

The AKG K3003i is the priciest pair of in-ears 'phones we’ve reviewed. It's also, by a massive margin, the best

Write your own review
  • For

    Stunningly agile, detailed sound; brilliant bass authority and precision; superb finish

  • Against

    The vast majority of portables aren’t good enough to do the AKGs justice

We gasped at the price of the AKG K3003i headphones – and we’re no strangers to pricey hi-fi.

After all, can a pair of in-ear headphones ever justify a £1000 price tag? That’s the big question – and it’s a hard one to answer.

AKG K3003I earphones

You see, it’s all about context, given that the K3003i’s in-ear design and relatively short cable strongly suggests these headphones are meant for use with portable devices.

Trouble is, even the best portable we’ve heard – Apple’s iPad 2 – isn’t good enough to show what these buds can do. A good-quality laptop is better, but not by that much.

Is it AKG’s fault that sources aren’t up to scratch yet? We’d say not: given a feed of suitable quality – we used our MacBook feeding Audiolab’s M-DAC, as well as our reference sources, Naim’s CDS3 player and NDX streamer (powered by 555PS power supplies) into Graham Slee’s Solo headphone amp – the results are stunning.

AKG K3003i with control

AKG K3003i cutaway shotsSumptuous build quality
The K3003i is a three-way design. It uses a conventional dynamic driver for the bass and dual balanced armature drivers for the midrange and treble.

It’s all housed in a reassuringly weighty and immaculately finished brushed stainless steel casing, while the 1.2m cable’s fabric and silicon cover ensures low noise transmission and a handy resistance to tangling.

It’s always going to be hard for an in-ear design to look and feel luxurious whatever its price, but overall the K3003i manages very well.

The use of stainless steel for the enclosure, 3.5mm connecter and cable attached remote/microphone help enormously.

The performance of any in-ear design live or dies by the quality of the seal achieved between the ear buds and ear canal. AKG has supplied plenty of options, so it’s worth experimenting to get this just right.

You’ll know you've got the right fit when the bass sounds right.

The sound of the K3003I can be fine-tuned by means of interchangeable filters. These take the form of nicely machined caps that screw onto the ear pieces and mechanically filter certain parts of the frequency range.

There are three options: black is for bass boost, grey for reference sound – which has the flattest response – and white emphasises the treble.

Each does exactly as advertised. Unsurprisingly, we preferred the better balance of the grey option. The alternative on either side just went a little too far for our tastes.

Impressive weight and authority
And it's the bass that immadiately strikes you when all is well. It’s not just that the low frequencies are precise and articulate – such things are a given with decent in-ear designs – but the weight and authority really impress.

Play something with a lot of bass power such as Massive Attack’s Heligoland and these in-ears deliver it all with breathtaking power and weight.

It’s the kind of big, substantial presentation we rarely hear from headphones, let alone a pair of in-ears. And impressively, all that muscle is combined with subtlety.

Bass sounds have distinctive textures that don’t blur no matter how complex things get.

The news stays positive further up the frequency range, too. Kate Bush’s vocals on the 24-bit/96kHz version of 50 Words for Snow sound as intimate and communicative as we’ve heard them.

The AKG’s highest frequencies are as clear and well-defined as any rival, and will rip apart below-par recordings and sources alike, but sound wonderfully sumptuous if given half a chance.

The same applies to the K3003is as a whole. Feed them a top-quality signal and they’ll make it sound better than you ever thought possible. Do the opposite and you’ll wonder why you bothered.

AKG K3003i exploded view

The best we’ve ever heard
There’s always more to a luxury product such as this than just sonic performance, though. The K3003is come in a tasteful box with extras including a leather case, a steel-cased stereo-to-dual mono flight adaptor and an extensive variety of anti-allergenic latex-free buds.

We’d expect nothing less at this price level.We have absolutely no doubt that these AKGs are the best in-ear headphones we’ve ever heard.

At their best, they make our previous high-end champions, the £400 Grado GR10, sound crude and blurry – which by normal standards they certainly are not.

Use a source that does the AKGs proud and they’ll deliver a sound that’s at the cutting edge for headphones at this price level regardless of type. That’s one thing we never thought we’d be writing about a pair on in-ears.

 


Edited by our martin - 8/24/12 at 3:46pm
post #273 of 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by our martin View Post

serious they sound like the hd800s but inside your head i have been testing headphones for the shop they are sh!t hot with alo dac/amp combo..I will find a review to show you..sorry but i have had to paste this review..

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

AKG K3003i

£1000
100100
5
 
 
 
 

The AKG K3003i is the priciest pair of in-ears 'phones we’ve reviewed. It's also, by a massive margin, the best

Write your own review
  • For

    Stunningly agile, detailed sound; brilliant bass authority and precision; superb finish

  • Against

    The vast majority of portables aren’t good enough to do the AKGs justice

We gasped at the price of the AKG K3003i headphones – and we’re no strangers to pricey hi-fi.

After all, can a pair of in-ear headphones ever justify a £1000 price tag? That’s the big question – and it’s a hard one to answer.

AKG K3003I earphones

You see, it’s all about context, given that the K3003i’s in-ear design and relatively short cable strongly suggests these headphones are meant for use with portable devices.

Trouble is, even the best portable we’ve heard – Apple’s iPad 2 – isn’t good enough to show what these buds can do. A good-quality laptop is better, but not by that much.

Is it AKG’s fault that sources aren’t up to scratch yet? We’d say not: given a feed of suitable quality – we used our MacBook feeding Audiolab’s M-DAC, as well as our reference sources, Naim’s CDS3 player and NDX streamer (powered by 555PS power supplies) into Graham Slee’s Solo headphone amp – the results are stunning.

AKG K3003i with control

AKG K3003i cutaway shotsSumptuous build quality
The K3003i is a three-way design. It uses a conventional dynamic driver for the bass and dual balanced armature drivers for the midrange and treble.

It’s all housed in a reassuringly weighty and immaculately finished brushed stainless steel casing, while the 1.2m cable’s fabric and silicon cover ensures low noise transmission and a handy resistance to tangling.

It’s always going to be hard for an in-ear design to look and feel luxurious whatever its price, but overall the K3003i manages very well.

The use of stainless steel for the enclosure, 3.5mm connecter and cable attached remote/microphone help enormously.

The performance of any in-ear design live or dies by the quality of the seal achieved between the ear buds and ear canal. AKG has supplied plenty of options, so it’s worth experimenting to get this just right.

You’ll know you've got the right fit when the bass sounds right.

The sound of the K3003I can be fine-tuned by means of interchangeable filters. These take the form of nicely machined caps that screw onto the ear pieces and mechanically filter certain parts of the frequency range.

There are three options: black is for bass boost, grey for reference sound – which has the flattest response – and white emphasises the treble.

Each does exactly as advertised. Unsurprisingly, we preferred the better balance of the grey option. The alternative on either side just went a little too far for our tastes.

Impressive weight and authority
And it's the bass that immadiately strikes you when all is well. It’s not just that the low frequencies are precise and articulate – such things are a given with decent in-ear designs – but the weight and authority really impress.

Play something with a lot of bass power such as Massive Attack’s Heligoland and these in-ears deliver it all with breathtaking power and weight.

It’s the kind of big, substantial presentation we rarely hear from headphones, let alone a pair of in-ears. And impressively, all that muscle is combined with subtlety.

Bass sounds have distinctive textures that don’t blur no matter how complex things get.

The news stays positive further up the frequency range, too. Kate Bush’s vocals on the 24-bit/96kHz version of 50 Words for Snow sound as intimate and communicative as we’ve heard them.

The AKG’s highest frequencies are as clear and well-defined as any rival, and will rip apart below-par recordings and sources alike, but sound wonderfully sumptuous if given half a chance.

The same applies to the K3003is as a whole. Feed them a top-quality signal and they’ll make it sound better than you ever thought possible. Do the opposite and you’ll wonder why you bothered.

AKG K3003i exploded view

The best we’ve ever heard
There’s always more to a luxury product such as this than just sonic performance, though. The K3003is come in a tasteful box with extras including a leather case, a steel-cased stereo-to-dual mono flight adaptor and an extensive variety of anti-allergenic latex-free buds.

We’d expect nothing less at this price level.We have absolutely no doubt that these AKGs are the best in-ear headphones we’ve ever heard.

At their best, they make our previous high-end champions, the £400 Grado GR10, sound crude and blurry – which by normal standards they certainly are not.

Use a source that does the AKGs proud and they’ll deliver a sound that’s at the cutting edge for headphones at this price level regardless of type. That’s one thing we never thought we’d be writing about a pair on in-ears.

 

I know of them, but all I have heard is that the price of them is ludicrous for what you get.

post #274 of 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCrow View Post

I know of them, but all I have heard is that the price of them is ludicrous for what you get.

Don't believe what you have heard because you would rather have them than the hd800s or the ps1000s they sound like proper reference speakers..probably someone with the ultimate ears 18s or jh16s has heard them and thought these sound better than mine with crystal piccolino cables and just came out with a load of tosh because the akgs sound better..alo are much better than ray samuels aswell i have been testing all the dacs and headphone amps for the shop..


Edited by our martin - 8/24/12 at 3:58pm
post #275 of 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

Who is Tiesto? Am I living under a rock or something? Maybe the most popular musician in Austria?

Maybe the Austrian version of Justin Bieber?


+1

post #276 of 517

I never herd of him before these.

post #277 of 517

The AKG by Tiesto is part of the Closed Mid-Fi Portable Battle of 2012.

post #278 of 517

Ludacris, RZA, Mixmaster Mike....has lending a celebrity's name provided any sonic benefit anyone has ever heard?  Maybe AKG would be better off launching a new line without Tiesto or any "celebrity" association.  I wonder how much the celebrity's cut adds to the cost of each headphone or what shortcuts are taken in production to make up the difference.  This headphone is NOT on my short list of anticipated upcoming headphone releases primarily because of the track record of endorsed headphones.  If they sound great, kudos to AKG.  I wouldn't avoid them because of a celebrity endorsement, I just have low expectations of endorsed headphones based on history.  I would welcome a fun headphone done right and am hopeful for other upcoming releases to get it right like the M-100, Momentum and Yamaha Pro 500.

 


Edited by Craigster75 - 9/6/12 at 9:00pm
post #279 of 517
Well, his name means dough in Russian, so there's that.
post #280 of 517

Just to let you all know (again) - the AKG's by Tiesto are in the Closed Mid-Fi Portable Battle 2012.

 

Drop by with your thoughts - and provide reviews once you get yours! 

post #281 of 517
Quote:

Who is Tiesto? Am I living under a rock or something? Maybe the most popular musician in Austria?

Maybe the Austrian version of Justin Bieber?

 

He is... a "casual trance" DJ for people aren't really into trance, that's the only way I can summarize it.

It's like what Kenny G is to jazz fusion or what Enya is to celtic music.

 

Chances are if you buy some generic "supertrance 2000" CD in the mall, Tiesto or a Tiesto-inspired remix is on it. So his name carries a lot of $$$.

He's not bad though and some of his mixes are very high quality. The guy probably has good taste in headphones...

 

Still, I can't bring myself to instantly judge these as bad headphones before hearing them just because I think the whole "signature model" thing is ridiculous.


Edited by machoboy - 9/9/12 at 3:44pm
post #282 of 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by machoboy View Post

 

He is... a "casual trance" DJ for people aren't really into trance, that's the only way I can summarize it.

It's like what Kenny G is to jazz fusion or what Enya is to celtic music.

 

Chances are if you buy some generic "supertrance 2000" CD in the mall, Tiesto or a Tiesto-inspired remix is on it. So his name carries a lot of $$$.

He's not bad though and some of his mixes are very high quality. The guy probably has good taste in headphones...

 

Still, I can't bring myself to instantly judge these as bad headphones before hearing them just because I think the whole "signature model" thing is ridiculous.

They should be good tiesto wouldn't put his name on any old crap.. I go back a long way with tiesto we were both signed to the ministry of sound on the same night 1993,we use to meet in the gallery club on a friday night armin van burren was the dj,above and beyond use to play live aswell with zoe johnston..he's not just a casual dj he dj's all over the world all of the time..p.s he's moving to newyork so you should be hearing a lot more from him in the usa..


Edited by our martin - 9/10/12 at 5:53am
post #283 of 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post

Ludacris, RZA, Mixmaster Mike....has lending a celebrity's name provided any sonic benefit anyone has ever heard?  Maybe AKG would be better off launching a new line without Tiesto or any "celebrity" association.  I wonder how much the celebrity's cut adds to the cost of each headphone or what shortcuts are taken in production to make up the difference.  This headphone is NOT on my short list of anticipated upcoming headphone releases primarily because of the track record of endorsed headphones.  If they sound great, kudos to AKG.  I wouldn't avoid them because of a celebrity endorsement, I just have low expectations of endorsed headphones based on history.  I would welcome a fun headphone done right and am hopeful for other upcoming releases to get it right like the M-100, Momentum and Yamaha Pro 500.

As has been repeated ad nauseum, Head-Fi'ers are not the targeted group for this at all. The way you write it makes it seem like AKG would have to be mad to not appeal to Head-Fi. But considering we're a very demanding and well-informed niche, it's actually smart of them to go with some other angle to some other crowd.

Even if this was a breakthrough in closed DJ headphones, and everyone in our forum would turn in their M50's and HFI-580's to get AKG's latest model, the profit would be minimal compared to how much they win by hiring Tiësto and mass-marketing his cans Beats-style. This isn't necessarily a bad thing because it's not impossible for a DJ-endorsed pair of headphones to sound really good, although like you said and most agree, history tells us they probably won't.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by machoboy View Post

 

He is... a "casual trance" DJ for people aren't really into trance, that's the only way I can summarize it.

It's like what Kenny G is to jazz fusion or what Enya is to celtic music.

 

Chances are if you buy some generic "supertrance 2000" CD in the mall, Tiesto or a Tiesto-inspired remix is on it. So his name carries a lot of $$$.

He's not bad though and some of his mixes are very high quality. The guy probably has good taste in headphones...

That's actually a great description of who Tiësto is. He's like a gateway into Trance, most people who started listening to it since 10 years ago probably started with Tiësto.

post #284 of 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardKing1 View Post

As has been repeated ad nauseum, Head-Fi'ers are not the targeted group for this at all. The way you write it makes it seem like AKG would have to be mad to not appeal to Head-Fi. But considering we're a very demanding and well-informed niche, it's actually smart of them to go with some other angle to some other crowd.

Even if this was a breakthrough in closed DJ headphones, and everyone in our forum would turn in their M50's and HFI-580's to get AKG's latest model, the profit would be minimal compared to how much they win by hiring Tiësto and mass-marketing his cans Beats-style. This isn't necessarily a bad thing because it's not impossible for a DJ-endorsed pair of headphones to sound really good, although like you said and most agree, history tells us they probably won't.

 

That's actually a great description of who Tiësto is. He's like a gateway into Trance, most people who started listening to it since 10 years ago probably started with Tiësto.

He still brings his club life cds out and he's still around but i know what you mean by casual..


Edited by our martin - 9/10/12 at 3:02pm
post #285 of 517

not "casual" as in part-time

 

"casual" as in radio-friendly

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New AKG Headphones "By Tiësto"