Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs Monster Beats Pro / Studio (Updated)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs Monster Beats Pro / Studio (Updated) - Page 5

post #61 of 76

Yea I know...I just thought I'd throw in my two cents.

post #62 of 76

I too prefer my PRO over the M50 because the PRO works and sounds better for my music preference.

Sold my M50 kept my PRO. My only regret was paying $400 for them. Stupid me frown.gif

post #63 of 76

M50 doesn't have enough bass... it has a good amount of impact, but the vents prevent the drivers from delivering a full blow so that it won't muddy up the rest of the spectrum... plus sound quality isn't preference, but how good something sounds is

post #64 of 76

The reasons people say they dont like the Audiotechnicas is:

 

1- They don't know how to equalize.

2- They don't give it (the m50s) enough time to burn in.

 

Once the m50s have burned in completely, they are tons better then the beats.

 

PS- I have both.

post #65 of 76

I just think its the fact the M50's are made for studio monitoring where the beats are made for consumers. But overall M50's ARE better value.

post #66 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakiDabeast View Post

M50 doesn't have enough bass... it has a good amount of impact, but the vents prevent the drivers from delivering a full blow so that it won't muddy up the rest of the spectrum... plus sound quality isn't preference, but how good something sounds is

Maybe you should try a headphone/subwoofer combo, you put on the M50s and use a subwoofer at the same time; you'll get MUCH more bass feel than the Beats but since you'll be using the headphones you won't give up sound quality :P

post #67 of 76

yeah agree with this review. im not so sure about the studio though. its not too durable either. my brother spoiled his after a few months. the beats pro is surely more durable. but is the sound alot better?

post #68 of 76

I just can't come to terms with the sound signiture of the beat pros.

I can see why they might appeal to rap and hip hop fans, but for any other genre of music, it just doesn't sound good at all (to my ears).

 

The great thing about the M50's is that they'll handle anything you throw at them. However, they aren't so critical that they make compressed music sound unbearable to listen to. It's just a comfortable listening experience, regardless of what you're listening to.

post #69 of 76

GigaFi you should try the beats executives they are actually pretty good minus the hiss from the anc

post #70 of 76

My friend has Beats Pros, and I have an ATH M50 coming out of a Fiio e7. He came over, and we compared the two. Personally, I do like the ATH M50's over the Beats, but the beats are not horrible, like everyone else says. They're a good set of headphones, but just way overpriced - and you can get far better headphones for the money. However, they severely lack responses beyond bass...on songs where treble was dominant, the beats felt artificial and weak. 

post #71 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToGo1 View Post

Why dont you compare them to something like Grado 325, Denon 2k, HD 600, DT880 or similar priced cans? Then lets see how well the beats stand up.

 

Comparing ATH M50 with a can which costs 3 times more is just silly.


For a very simple reason. Beats may have a lot of fanboys but...

 

Suddenly, out of nowhere, there come the m50, claimed as the beats pro killer across the internet. And in very little the m50 has it's own fanboys spreading the word about how good they are.

 

It's not about similarly priced headphones, but rather about overhyped headphones.

 

And i have been a victim of all this. I bought the m50 just because everyone was labeling them as ''THE under 200 usd headphones'' or ''better than other 2x their price''. Ultimately, i found them to be very, very average and i returned them.

 

''Fanboyism'' is just bad, no matter the product.


Edited by CheeseWithWorms - 6/5/13 at 4:24pm
post #72 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logdawg88 View Post

The reasons people say they dont like the Audiotechnicas is:

 

1- They don't know how to equalize.

2- They don't give it (the m50s) enough time to burn in.

 

Once the m50s have burned in completely, they are tons better then the beats.

 

PS- I have both.


I was listening to them for 3 entire weeks (of disappointment) and mine never got better.

post #73 of 76
The fanboy bandwagon BS around the M50 is utter crap. The sound is tinny, harsh, and the soundstage is a total cluster ****


Imo, the Beats Pros kill the M50. Yep. I said it. Sound is better, assembly is superior, and to me so is comfortability (after I stretched the headband out). With proper burn in (The pros took a full week due to their metal build and dynamic speakers) the Beats have a warmer sound that to me makes the M50s sound harsh, tinny, and boring, but a neutral response is what you want if you're monitoring music. But for someone who likes to kick back and listen to my Dubstep and house music, Beats Pro hands down. But then again, its a four hundred dollar headphone compared to a 150 dollar one. The M50 is a better value, but the Pros are a better headphone.

(Purchased the Pros for only 250 at Best buy, a great deal in my opinion.)
post #74 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiioforMeOh View Post

The fanboy bandwagon BS around the M50 is utter crap. The sound is tinny, harsh, and the soundstage is a total cluster ****


Imo, the Beats Pros kill the M50. Yep. I said it. Sound is better, assembly is superior, and to me so is comfortability (after I stretched the headband out). With proper burn in (The pros took a full week due to their metal build and dynamic speakers) the Beats have a warmer sound that to me makes the M50s sound harsh, tinny, and boring, but a neutral response is what you want if you're monitoring music. But for someone who likes to kick back and listen to my Dubstep and house music, Beats Pro hands down. But then again, its a four hundred dollar headphone compared to a 150 dollar one. The M50 is a better value, but the Pros are a better headphone.

(Purchased the Pros for only 250 at Best buy, a great deal in my opinion.)

Your MSRP logic causes you to lose all credibility.

post #75 of 76

Beats will never be a popular choice on this forum or on any other audiophile forum.

Despite loving this site and loving headphones, audiophiles are elitist and have little to no interest in this hobby being popular. 

The popularity and celebrity endorsement of Beats ensures they will always be shunned by the audiophile community.

Their popularity also ensures that they will ALWAYS be over priced. 

If Audio Technica could make the kind of money beats does and sell the quantities Beats does they would sell M50's for $400 as well.

The M50 used to be a $100 headphone, now it's a $200 headphone, because it sells. The sound quality doesn't reflect a $200 headphone though.

If Hifiman and Audeze were selling millions of headphones per year the prices would skyrocket as well.

The price of Beats reflects the consumer market and that's it, it has nothing to do with the actual sound quality. Hell, guys like Lebron James have turned Beats headphones into a fashion accessory. I've seen people walking around with the headphones and no cables even attached to them...

Anyways, Beats are popular and that ensures them being hated at the same time.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs Monster Beats Pro / Studio (Updated)