Comparison between the M50s and the Studios are (finally) up.
Related Forum Threads
- ath-m50s now what Last post on Yesterday at 8:04 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH M50 Gaming Performance question. Last post on 12/5/13 at 9:52am in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-M50s Review Last post on 11/30/13 at 2:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones in iphone vs Laptop Last post on 11/24/13 at 10:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 380 Pro's versus Audio Technica ATH-M50's. Last post on 11/13/13 at 1:03am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: Yesterday
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
I've spent the past week auditioning these new VSD1S by VSonic. Before this I was listening extensively to my dual dynamics JVC FXT90's and my dual armature UE 700. For a single dynamic driver that...
I started this review with the intention of pointing out the things I don't like about it, but man, there really isn't much I don't love about these. Out of the box they sound very thin and...
It does a good job as a DAC for my starving student amp. Eventually, I will probably upgrade but it works well enough. It is nice that it powers off of USB and doesn't take up tons of space.
The review is based on the stock pads, not based on the upgraded velour pads. The only problem with the sound quality is a weird color in the upper mids, around vocal range. This is due to the...
The 880s don't have a lot of color to themselves. They're light comfortable cans that get the job done. They are a well rounded headphone good for someone who can't quite figure out what kind of...
Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs Monster Beats Pro / Studio (Updated) - Page 4post #46 of 769/14/12 at 6:49pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 769/14/12 at 9:42pmpost #48 of 769/15/12 at 9:19amIs the M50 a better value than the Beats Pro? Hell yeah! But does it sound better? Hell no!
It feels like you really need to defend the Beats and put down the over hyped M50's. I have A/Bed these phones now for 3 days and I can't see anyone except an inexpirienced listener who loves boom, to say the Beats are superior. Bass quality-it's not even a fair race. Beats have nothing below 40hz or so. M50's produce great 20hz notes. Mids-while the M50's are a tad light, the Beats have a cheap sound to them in this area. Highs, same thing for the Beats, it's rolled off but what is there reminds me of a inexpensive car tweeter. It just doesn't sound good. M50's can be a tad bright on some tracks but the details and ability to be accurate really clobber the Beats. Again, if all you want it what's popular and boom boom sound, you would choose the Beats. If accurate, detailed sound with a great build quality at a reasonable price-$111 at Amazon, to me it's a no brainer. M50's.post #49 of 7611/9/12 at 3:46pm
Now i know that tons of people claim beats are the best headphones and i think that we all agree that they arent and i think that that is also the case here. i have heard that the m50's need a burn in period where u=you play them at moderate volume for days (i have done a pair for 120 hours before they were great sounding). If you didnt do that, then the bass on them isnt an adequate test and i honestly dont think that you have released the full beast hidden within the m50's.post #50 of 7611/9/12 at 4:06pm
Beats sound like one of those inflatable bouncy balls piled in the diaper/toys isle at the supermarket being dribbled on my ear. I don't see how anyone who has become even briefly accustomed to neutrality or ever done anything related to recording/pro audio can physically stomach that bouncing, booming, echoing sound signature. It's like listening to an album recorded in a 4'x4'x100' hallway.
However, the fact that the M50s are so constantly compared to Beats and you even go on YouTube and see kids having months long trench comment warfare over the great M50 vs Beats question really doesn't make me want to try M50s a second time. They almost seem degraded by the association.post #51 of 7611/9/12 at 4:21pmThe thing is not everyone cares about neutraliy... I have auditioned both the M50 and Beats Pros (at home over a week) and greatly prefer the beats pro.
The M50 does have a slight bass boost but its bass lacks impact.
For the music I listen to, I would pick the Beats Pros over the M50 any day.
However I agree that the beats pros are not worth their MSRP. And I like my Q40s better than both :P.post #52 of 7611/9/12 at 4:22pmpost #53 of 7611/9/12 at 4:30pm
See the Q40s are a prime example of why it's not just an issue of neutrality. The Q40s have tons of bass but it's thunderous, powerful theater-type bass -- and they also have great mid range if you roll the bass down a little. They aren't my thing but while I owned them I admitted that they were a near perfect execution of that sound preference.
The Beats Pros on the other hand:post #54 of 7611/9/12 at 5:13pm
But thats the thing. For my sound preferences and those of many consumers, the extra bass is welcome. I can purchase a pair of m50s in like new condition for $65 from a friend, but I most likely will not because of the missing bass impact. But if I found the Beats Pros under or close to $200, they wouldnt be that bad tbh. The style, build and sound would be worth it IMO.
In the end it just matters on what your preferences are. But and listen to what you enjoy. Beats may not be worth the MSRP, but certainly arent terrible.
Solo HD: Polished Turd
Studios: Mediocore, but pretty fun
Pros: Genuinely good, as long as you like bass
M50: Techinically a very good headphone, but does not fit my preferences.post #55 of 7611/9/12 at 7:16pm
uhh well they are still over priced and who needs that " BOOM BOOM BOOM". The M50 bass is fine for me I even listen to edm ( seven lions Rogue, Lucky Date etc) I just amp up mostly the mids on the m50s that's about it. Clear sound w/ decent bass > " BOOM BOOM BOOM"post #56 of 7611/9/12 at 10:27pmpost #57 of 7611/10/12 at 5:51ampost #58 of 7611/10/12 at 6:29ampost #59 of 7612/24/12 at 12:53pm
Comparing $400 dollar headphones (Beats Pro) to $120 headphones (ATH-M50's), these prices are from amazon. And there being not much of a difference between the two. It's a no brainer for me to go with the M50's. You'd have to be a complete tool bag to get the Beats!
- Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs Monster Beats Pro / Studio (Updated)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › [Interest Check] Official Vienna Meet 27 seconds ago
- › Review: Final Audio Design Heaven II 46 seconds ago
- › AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp 58 seconds ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Magni + Modi combo WANT TO BUY 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH440 Impression 3 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 5 minutes ago
- › Tokyo 2013 Fujiya Avic Autumn Headphone Festival Report 6 minutes ago
- › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X... 7 minutes ago
- › FiiO newsflash: James’ latest firmware update cures cancer (we hope) 8 minutes ago
- › VSONIC VSD1S by IEMagnet01
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by jshaffe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by jshaffe
- › MartinLogan Mikros 90 Reference On-Ear Headphones, Black by pataburd
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Trunks159
- › MEElectronics SP51-BK Sound Preference In-Ear Headphone with Sound... by Benik3
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by JGrignon
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi