Comparison between the M50s and the Studios are (finally) up.
Related Forum Threads
- V Moda M100s worth the upgrade from Audio Technica ATH-M50s? Last post on 4/14/14 at 12:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure SRH-440 w/HPAEC840 pads vs Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Last post on 4/12/14 at 8:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Suggestions for a $200 over the ear headphone, mostly for EDM/Dubstep Last post on 4/6/14 at 7:48am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- ATH M50X vs Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro vs Shure SRH840 vs Beyerdynamic DT-770 Last post on 3/25/14 at 2:21pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Need a 250$ headphones instad of my ATH M50 Last post on 2/22/14 at 8:48pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
I bought a pair of HM5s about 6 months ago. They give you absolutely great sound for under $150 but I ran into a big problem. Both sides where the slider connects to the headphones started to...
First a bit of background on my experiences with headphone amps. I have tried the Fiio E17, Objective 2, the 2.3W amp built into my laptop, my Yamaha receiver's headphone out and a cheap $40...
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
The Sennheiser Momentum On Ear is bursting with goodness. Nice looks, sound, and great value to go with it. Now, Let's go straight into it! These look so phenomenal, with all that alcantara...
The Sennheiser PX 360 headphones look good, and are very comfortable, at least to me, but the earcups fit just nicely over my ears. Any smaller and I would not be able to fit these over my ears....
Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs Monster Beats Pro / Studio (Updated) - Page 4post #46 of 769/14/12 at 6:49pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 769/14/12 at 9:42pmpost #48 of 769/15/12 at 9:19amIs the M50 a better value than the Beats Pro? Hell yeah! But does it sound better? Hell no!
It feels like you really need to defend the Beats and put down the over hyped M50's. I have A/Bed these phones now for 3 days and I can't see anyone except an inexpirienced listener who loves boom, to say the Beats are superior. Bass quality-it's not even a fair race. Beats have nothing below 40hz or so. M50's produce great 20hz notes. Mids-while the M50's are a tad light, the Beats have a cheap sound to them in this area. Highs, same thing for the Beats, it's rolled off but what is there reminds me of a inexpensive car tweeter. It just doesn't sound good. M50's can be a tad bright on some tracks but the details and ability to be accurate really clobber the Beats. Again, if all you want it what's popular and boom boom sound, you would choose the Beats. If accurate, detailed sound with a great build quality at a reasonable price-$111 at Amazon, to me it's a no brainer. M50's.post #49 of 7611/9/12 at 3:46pm
Now i know that tons of people claim beats are the best headphones and i think that we all agree that they arent and i think that that is also the case here. i have heard that the m50's need a burn in period where u=you play them at moderate volume for days (i have done a pair for 120 hours before they were great sounding). If you didnt do that, then the bass on them isnt an adequate test and i honestly dont think that you have released the full beast hidden within the m50's.post #50 of 7611/9/12 at 4:06pm
Beats sound like one of those inflatable bouncy balls piled in the diaper/toys isle at the supermarket being dribbled on my ear. I don't see how anyone who has become even briefly accustomed to neutrality or ever done anything related to recording/pro audio can physically stomach that bouncing, booming, echoing sound signature. It's like listening to an album recorded in a 4'x4'x100' hallway.
However, the fact that the M50s are so constantly compared to Beats and you even go on YouTube and see kids having months long trench comment warfare over the great M50 vs Beats question really doesn't make me want to try M50s a second time. They almost seem degraded by the association.post #51 of 7611/9/12 at 4:21pmThe thing is not everyone cares about neutraliy... I have auditioned both the M50 and Beats Pros (at home over a week) and greatly prefer the beats pro.
The M50 does have a slight bass boost but its bass lacks impact.
For the music I listen to, I would pick the Beats Pros over the M50 any day.
However I agree that the beats pros are not worth their MSRP. And I like my Q40s better than both :P.post #52 of 7611/9/12 at 4:22pmpost #53 of 7611/9/12 at 4:30pm
See the Q40s are a prime example of why it's not just an issue of neutrality. The Q40s have tons of bass but it's thunderous, powerful theater-type bass -- and they also have great mid range if you roll the bass down a little. They aren't my thing but while I owned them I admitted that they were a near perfect execution of that sound preference.
The Beats Pros on the other hand:post #54 of 7611/9/12 at 5:13pm
But thats the thing. For my sound preferences and those of many consumers, the extra bass is welcome. I can purchase a pair of m50s in like new condition for $65 from a friend, but I most likely will not because of the missing bass impact. But if I found the Beats Pros under or close to $200, they wouldnt be that bad tbh. The style, build and sound would be worth it IMO.
In the end it just matters on what your preferences are. But and listen to what you enjoy. Beats may not be worth the MSRP, but certainly arent terrible.
Solo HD: Polished Turd
Studios: Mediocore, but pretty fun
Pros: Genuinely good, as long as you like bass
M50: Techinically a very good headphone, but does not fit my preferences.post #55 of 7611/9/12 at 7:16pm
uhh well they are still over priced and who needs that " BOOM BOOM BOOM". The M50 bass is fine for me I even listen to edm ( seven lions Rogue, Lucky Date etc) I just amp up mostly the mids on the m50s that's about it. Clear sound w/ decent bass > " BOOM BOOM BOOM"post #56 of 7611/9/12 at 10:27pmpost #57 of 7611/10/12 at 5:51ampost #58 of 7611/10/12 at 6:29ampost #59 of 7612/24/12 at 12:53pm
Comparing $400 dollar headphones (Beats Pro) to $120 headphones (ATH-M50's), these prices are from amazon. And there being not much of a difference between the two. It's a no brainer for me to go with the M50's. You'd have to be a complete tool bag to get the Beats!
- Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs Monster Beats Pro / Studio (Updated)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Light Harmonic GEEK 2 minutes ago
- › DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1, FiiO X5 3 minutes ago
- › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 5 minutes ago
- › ALAC vs. FLAC 5 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 7 minutes ago
- › Microphone or Headset? Need help! 7 minutes ago
- › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! 9 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 11 minutes ago
- › iDSD micro Crowd-Design. Phase 2: Poll running and the micro iDSD... 12 minutes ago
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Noble Audio FR by HideousPride
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob