or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HD 800 sibilance has to go!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HD 800 sibilance has to go! - Page 4

post #46 of 73

DACs people like that I have read about:


AMR DB777
Audionote
Audio Horizons
Zanden

 Audio Logic

post #47 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by K3cT View Post

That just proves that the USB implementation in the Perfect Wave is not as good as one would like to believe. 


The Mac and Amarra weren't being run into the PWD.  So nothing was proven either way.

 

post #48 of 73

For what it is worth, my experience so far with the HD 800's is that sibilance seems to be more dependent on the the recording. One example in my set-up is that Alanis Morissette's "Uplugged" CD has alot of sibilance, but Janis Ian's "Breaking Silence" CD has absolutely no sibilance. On one hand, I am not sure how well recorded and mastered the "Unplugged" CD was. On the other hand, the "Breaking Silence" CD recording is generally accepted as being a great recording - so much that it has been used in many high-end audio demos. My set up: Rega Apollo-R CD Player > Rega Couple Interconnects > Ray Samuels Emelline "The Raptor" Tubed Headphone Amp > Senn HD 800's with stock cable. Even though some recordings are better than others, there are many folks who nevertheless find their HD 800's to be sibilant and/or tilted in the treble somewhat. At least, that is what I am reading about here in the Head-Fi forums.

post #49 of 73

My feeling was formerly that the HD800s were edgy in the highs in bad recordings too, but sublime in SACDs and well-recorded CDs.

But now all is well with all recordings I have tried. Now my HD800s are brilliant with no fatigue and liquid highs and I love them-- musical, non-fatiguing, resolved and GREAT BASS . (I know people don't say this for the HD800s,

but the bass is to die for in my 800s, transparent, pretty deep, and lots of bass detail, not boomy or clogged up at all, which was a problem I had in PS1000s and other phones.)

Of course, they get some support for this:

Moon balanced Black Dragon cable, Apex Pinnacle amp with a Brimar 6NS7 tube, EMM cdp.

But my point is that the HD800s are inherently capable of greatness, and don't need equalization or anything heavy-handed to achieve this.


Edited by rgs9200m - 4/15/12 at 9:41am
post #50 of 73

Funny you should mention this as it's the first CD on my list of stuff to listen to today. Really looking forward to it and I'm not worried about sibilance much with my LCD 2. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vo_obgyn View Post

For what it is worth, my experience so far with the HD 800's is that sibilance seems to be more dependent on the the recording. One example in my set-up is that Alanis Morissette's "Uplugged" CD has alot of sibilance, but Janis Ian's "Breaking Silence" CD has absolutely no sibilance. 



 

 

post #51 of 73

That is my favorite Alanis Morrisette CD right now. Great performance. Interestingly, on this CD, I did not hear sibilance with my Cardas cabled Senn 600's in the same set-up. Happy listening. Enjoy the music!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

Funny you should mention this as it's the first CD on my list of stuff to listen to today. Really looking forward to it and I'm not worried about sibilance much with my LCD 2. 

 



 

 



 


Edited by vo_obgyn - 4/15/12 at 10:05am
post #52 of 73
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs9200m View Post

My feeling was formerly that the HD800s were edgy in the highs in bad recordings too, but sublime in SACDs and well-recorded CDs.

But now all is well with all recordings I have tried. Now my HD800s are brilliant with no fatigue and liquid highs and I love them-- musical, non-fatiguing, resolved and GREAT BASS . (I know people don't say this for the HD800s,

but the bass is to die for in my 800s, transparent, pretty deep, and lots of bass detail, not boomy or clogged up at all, which was a problem I had in PS1000s and other phones.)

Of course, they get some support for this:

Moon balanced Black Dragon cable, Apex Pinnacle amp with a Brimar 6NS7 tube, EMM cdp.

But my point is that the HD800s are inherently capable of greatness, and don't need equalization or anything heavy-handed to achieve this.


So you just need a 10 000 dollar headphone amp? wink.gif
post #53 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan647 View Post


So you just need a 10 000 dollar headphone amp? wink.gif


Love is all you need.
 darthsmile.gif

post #54 of 73
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs9200m View Post



Love is all you need.
 darthsmile.gif


o2smile.gif

 

post #55 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan647 View Post


o2smile.gif

 



dt880smile.png

post #56 of 73

What's Love Got To Do With It?

atsmile.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs9200m View Post

Love is all you need.

 darthsmile.gif

 

Reply
post #57 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE TEE View Post

What's Love Got To Do With It?

atsmile.gif

 

 


Good one.

 

post #58 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs9200m View Post


Good one.

 

 

+1
 

 

post #59 of 73

beerchug.gif  BTW @rgs9200m, nice to hear that you still love your 800 set-up with everything else that you have heard...I'm still tuning/tubing to try and get the best out of them! 

Reply
post #60 of 73

Thanks Cee Tee, yep, the 800s are extremely revealing but will reward completely given enough care and feeding. Best to you.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HD 800 sibilance has to go!