Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon D7100?!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon D7100?! - Page 104  

post #1546 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post

I  can't believe that the d7100 sounds worse than the amperior, it would be an incredible disaster.

The Amperiors are great headphones. Tyll even put them up on his wall of fame and gave them a great review:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/most-excellent-sennheiser-amperior-and-hd-25-1-ii

 

Now putting that aside and comparing how they measure objectively, for 1/4ish the price, you get better headphones:

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserAmperior.pdf

vs.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DenonAHD7100.pdf

 

Notice the more even FR response, less distortion in the bass (and this is comparing a $350 ON-EAR headphone to a FULL SIZED headphone that costs $1200). Look at the Impulse Response too...those drivers on the D7100s just don't seem to want to simmer down. tongue.gif Throw it all together and you have one incoherent headphone that sounds muddy, slow and just bad. And Denon put an MSRP on them of $1200? confused.gif

 

Please no one take my comments as gospel, please go hear them for yourselves. If you like'em, then great. But I wouldn't pay $200 for them personally.


Edited by MacedonianHero - 4/14/13 at 8:42am
post #1547 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

All headphones I mentioned sound APPRECIABLY BETTER than the disasters that are the muddy mess that the D7100s are and cost substantially less. By your comments, I would assume you haven't heard most of them (or any real top flight headphone). Throw in the fact as mentioned by Magick Man that they also OBJECTIVELY all measure better, it kinda says just how much of a total fail these $1300 headphones really are. Anything more than $200 is way too much IMHO. It is so hard to think of anything positive when Denon has given us such fatally flawed headphones at such crazy pricing.

 

Honestly folks, save your $ and look elsewhere. Just my two cents...

You write IMHO but there is nothing humble in the way you say things. You attack people just because they have an opposing point of view than yours. You can view my profile and see what I have owned and currently own. To call the Denon D7100 a muddy mess is an exaggeration and makes me question the rest of your statement even more so. Even the Beyerdynamic T1 dont have good Objective measurements but people still like the way they sound. Frankly the person who does all these Objective measurement regularly advises people to judge a headphone by the ear. Obective measurements has its place but its hardly the gold standard to judge a headphone by.

post #1548 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigy626 View Post

You write IMHO but there is nothing humble in the way you say things. You attack people just because they have an opposing point of view than yours. You can view my profile and see what I have owned and currently own. To call the Denon D7100 a muddy mess is an exaggeration and makes me question the rest of your statement even more so. Even the Beyerdynamic T1 dont have good Objective measurements but people still like the way they sound. Frankly the person who does all these Objective measurement regularly advises people to judge a headphone by the ear. Obective measurements has its place but its hardly the gold standard to judge a headphone by.

Sorry, but where did I attack people? I attacked the gear based on my first hand experiences and objective data. Quite the one-two punch no?

 

I call them a muddy mess because that's how they sound to my ears (and measure too), like expensive Beats headphones. biggrin.gif

 

ADDENDUM: I also attacked Denon for trying to sell us such expensive lemons.


Edited by MacedonianHero - 4/14/13 at 8:49am
post #1549 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

The Amperiors are great headphones. Tyll even put them up on his wall of fame and gave them a great review:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/most-excellent-sennheiser-amperior-and-hd-25-1-ii

Tyll bashed the srh940, I found them great. Tyll praised the hd25 II 1, I didn't find them that great.

Obviously I don't care too much of  what Tyll think, at most I go to the website for the measurements.

post #1550 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post

Tyll bashed the srh940, I found them great. Tyll praised the hd25 II 1, I didn't find them that great.

Obviously I don't care too much of  what Tyll think, at most I go to the website for the measurements.

That's fair. 

 

BTW, I wasn't a fan of the SRH940s, but I'd take them over the D7100s regardless of price. Throw in the price difference and its a no brainer for me.

post #1551 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigy626 View Post

You write IMHO but there is nothing humble in the way you say things. You attack people just because they have an opposing point of view than yours. You can view my profile and see what I have owned and currently own. To call the Denon D7100 a muddy mess is an exaggeration and makes me question the rest of your statement even more so. Even the Beyerdynamic T1 dont have good Objective measurements but people still like the way they sound. Frankly the person who does all these Objective measurement regularly advises people to judge a headphone by the ear. Obective measurements has its place but its hardly the gold standard to judge a headphone by.

 

Uh, attacking people? Hardly. He was merely posting an opinion based on what he knows and what he has heard. This man owns the Stax SR-009. Pretty good pre-requisite. I am all ears to what he has to say biggrin.gif

 

I like getting other perspectives just so I know I am nor deluding myself about certain things. It is wise and healthy. But you shouldn't let others opinions stop you from enjoying what you enjoy.

post #1552 of 1913

I dont advocate anyone pay the full price for these headphone which here in UK is £1000. But the fact is that on Amazon UK you can pick up a pair for £599 and elsewhere they are selling as cheap as £450. Going by those prices these headphones are a cracking buy. The stuff bundled with the headphones is just amazing especially the all metal heavy duty Denon stand (which in itself would cost around £150 alone). 

post #1553 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

 

Uh, attacking people? Hardly. He was merely posting an opinion based on what he knows and what he has heard. This man owns the Stax SR-009. Pretty good pre-requisite. I am all ears to what he has to say biggrin.gif

 

I like getting other perspectives just so I know I am nor deluding myself about certain things. It is wise and healthy. But you shouldn't let others opinions stop you from enjoying what you enjoy.

Thanks Dave and I especially agree with your last point too. smile.gif

post #1554 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

 

Uh, attacking people? Hardly. He was merely posting an opinion based on what he knows and what he has heard. This man owns the Stax SR-009. Pretty good pre-requisite. I am all ears to what he has to say biggrin.gif

 

I like getting other perspectives just so I know I am nor deluding myself about certain things. It is wise and healthy. But you shouldn't let others opinions stop you from enjoying what you enjoy.

Yeah and the Stax SR-009 cost £3600. Point being that maybe to him every headphone other than the Stax SR-009 most probably sounds like a compromise. 

post #1555 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

I like getting other perspectives just so I know I am nor deluding myself about certain things. It is wise and healthy. But you shouldn't let others opinions stop you from enjoying what you enjoy.

Yeah, but then I would take the opportunity  to quote what user Skamp said in an other forum:

Quote:

Head-Fi will kill your enjoyment of your gear (however high-end), if you buy into what's said over there. It's also pretty clear that their never-ending quest for audio nirvana is not sane.

wink.gif

post #1556 of 1913

Absolutely agree with the above comment made by extrabigmehdi +1. Recently read a thread where people were complaining about the Stax SR-009 having quality control issues and sound completely dropping off in one channel. 

post #1557 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigy626 View Post

Yeah and the Stax SR-009 cost £3600. Point being that maybe to him every headphone other than the Stax SR-009 most probably sounds like a compromise. 

That's not the case with the D7100s...sorry. What other top flight headphones have you heard? 

post #1558 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigy626 View Post

Yeah and the Stax SR-009 cost £3600. Point being that maybe to him every headphone other than the Stax SR-009 most probably sounds like a compromise. 

 

Not really. I think we can put things in perspective when you realize that the price of the D7100 is almost 25% of the way towards the cost of the Stax.

 

 I own the Audeze LCD-2(Rev2) and rarely use them. Sometimes other cans are just more fun smile.gif

post #1559 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

 

Not really. I think we can put things in perspective when you realize that the price of the D7100 is almost 25% of the way towards the cost of the Stax.

 

 I own the Audeze LCD-2(Rev2) and rarely use them. Sometimes other cans are just more fun smile.gif

Well as I said before, you can buy the Denon D7100 in UK for £450 which comes to around 12.5% towards the price of Stax SR-009 (£3600). In reply to MacedonianHero I am currently using the Sennheiser HD800.     

post #1560 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigy626 View Post

Well as I said before, you can buy the Denon D7100 in UK for £450 which comes to around 12.5% towards the price of Stax SR-009 (£3600). In reply to MacedonianHero I am currently using the Sennheiser HD800.     

 

Well, I was talking about $1200 as being 25% of $4800...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon D7100?!