Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon D7100?!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon D7100?! - Page 78  

post #1156 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

 

This is a good read through from headroom on it.

http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/about-headphone-measurements.php

 

 

Here's a great video from Tyll at innerfidelity showing how these measurements are taken, and what they can tell you. I have this set to the point where he talks specifically about the 50Hz wave. Great two part video IMO. He also shows you how adjusting headphones and seating them properly really changes the sound. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0ClNJeHrAw&t=2m0s

 

 

Weird how the AKG 70x series seems to have that happen. I think at some point someone had religiously recorded the time spent on his K701 and said at 1500 hours there was a huge change. 

Thanks!

 

Yes - his brain broke.

post #1157 of 1913

My replacement D7100 arrived today and I just gave them a quick listen to ensure the new pair is correct and it is.  On to the break-in, again.

post #1158 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiR3D View Post

Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

 

It took my D5000 appx 150 hours to get themselves right; Bass was t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e. Things got good to 500 hours. Then came "1,250" and a change was afoot, slowly sweetening. Between hours 1,500-1,900 the Denons were completely different cans...refined like I hadn't heard them before.wink.gif

 

I experienced fewer shifts in a shorter amount of time with the D7000, however. Only two changes in fact and both below 200 hours. Now sitting at 1,791 hours, I simply got what I got...we love 'em!

Fellow TMACian I really don't believe that :/ 1000 hours, your screwing with me right? that what the winky face is for? If not then its definitely your mind.

 

I really was looking forward to February, but the latest suggestions left me curbside waiting for a triumphant TMAC return in March. 1,000 hours? NO, we no jokin', baby! Seriously, what I did not  claim is that it took that long to burn-in. And a very BIG key is missing from my previous post (overlooked). I merely pointed out that the cans sweetened noticeably between 1,500-1,900 hours and I first detected this change 'round 1,250 hours. Oh, and if I was able to achieve a much deeper and emotional connection with the music by listening to the D5000 for many hours, I became more experienced tongue_smile.gif. Where's the Allen Iverson vid talking about "It's practice!" ?

 

What I neglected to mention - and this is my view - is that my cans benefited from "play-in." Which is why I thought it was important to mention run-time. They were my only premium cans and were in consistent use. 


Edited by Silent One - 1/30/13 at 11:10pm
post #1159 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taowolf51 View Post

You've counted all the hours you've used your headphones? o_0

 

Not really. However, looking at my assistant's notes, she recorded as of 24 January 2013:

 

Senn HD650: 18 hrs

W4S DAC-1: 1,733 hrs

OTL-6AS7 amp: 677 hrs

popcorn.gif

post #1160 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

 

I really was looking forward to February, but the latest suggestions left me curbside waiting for a triumphant TMAC return in March. 1,000 hours? NO, we no jokin', baby! Seriously, what I did not  claim is that it took that long to burn-in. And a very BIG key is missing from my previous post (overlooked). I merely pointed out that the cans sweetened noticeably between 1,500-1,900 hours and I first detected this change 'round 1,250 hours. Oh, and if I was able to achieve a much deeper and emotional connection with the music by listening to the D5000 for many hours, I became more experienced tongue_smile.gif. Where's the Allen Iverson vid talking about "It's practice!" ?

 

What I neglected to mention - and this is my view - is that my cans benefited from "play-in." Which is why I thought it was important to mention run-time. They were my only premium cans and were in consistent use. 

Aha - then it is your brain to be blunt, you were becoming accustomed to the sound, what to listen for, and your brain emphasizes the parts you look forward to most, making it more euphoric, to you. More or less on the right track? 

post #1161 of 1913

Are you suggesting my former diverse music library of 54,000 tracks wasn't big enough?normal_smile%20.gif Brain gets partial credit. Emotions get partial credit. However, components that are "cooked" can and sometimes do sound different than seldom used gear. 

 

Headphones and other components that are use to having juice run through them, may return to their previous state when out of the rotation; not turned on. In my listening room, warmed electronics and cold electronics do not sound the same. I've experienced this first hand over the years. Both my vacuum tube amp and vintage stereo receiver take time to fully come on song...

 

What I find odd (sometimes) is members who may own 12 premium cans, pick a pair up that hasn't been played in 12 months and declare in only 12 minutes of listening what it sounds like. And put them down for something else. Everyone has a different reality, I suppose.rolleyes.gif

 

Back on topic - some how, some way a D7100 loaner shows up, I'm gonna make 'em sweat! evil_smiley.gif


Edited by Silent One - 1/31/13 at 12:00am
post #1162 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

Are you suggesting my former diverse music library of 54,000 tracks wasn't big enough?normal_smile%20.gif Brain gets partial credit. Emotions get partial credit. However, components that are "cooked" can and sometimes do sound different than seldom used gear. 

 

Headphones and other components that are use to having juice run through them, may return to their previous state when out of the rotation; not turned on. In my listening room, warmed electronics and cold electronics do not sound the same. I've experienced this first hand over the years. Both my vacuum tube amp and vintage stereo receiver take time to fully come on song...

 

What I find odd (sometimes) is members who may own 12 premium cans, pick a pair up that hasn't been played in 12 months and declare in only 12 minutes of listening what it sounds like. And put them down for something else. Everyone has a different reality, I suppose.rolleyes.gif

 

Back on topic - some how, some way a D7100 loaner shows up, I'm gonna make 'em sweat! evil_smiley.gif

Actually I agree, Bought my dad a fully refurbished Marantz 2270 (shipping that to South Africa was another mission) and after about 20min it gets that something extra. 

 

So many menial factors, it actually builds up


Edited by WiR3D - 1/31/13 at 3:49am
post #1163 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 View Post

My replacement D7100 arrived today and I just gave them a quick listen to ensure the new pair is correct and it is.  On to the break-in, again.

Look forward to hearing your critique. cool.gif
post #1164 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

Are you suggesting my former diverse music library of 54,000 tracks wasn't big enough?normal_smile%20.gif Brain gets partial credit. Emotions get partial credit. However, components that are "cooked" can and sometimes do sound different than seldom used gear. 

 

Headphones and other components that are use to having juice run through them, may return to their previous state when out of the rotation; not turned on. In my listening room, warmed electronics and cold electronics do not sound the same. I've experienced this first hand over the years. Both my vacuum tube amp and vintage stereo receiver take time to fully come on song...

 

What I find odd (sometimes) is members who may own 12 premium cans, pick a pair up that hasn't been played in 12 months and declare in only 12 minutes of listening what it sounds like. And put them down for something else. Everyone has a different reality, I suppose.rolleyes.gif

 

Back on topic - some how, some way a D7100 loaner shows up, I'm gonna make 'em sweat! evil_smiley.gif

 

 

I'd be hesitant to say solid state devices experience sonic changes during "warm up".  Tubes are another whole can of worms.

 

You know, our bodies control acoustic transmission over long duration input with musculature.  Ever been in a quiet place for a long time and then throw on a set of cans?  I bet the initial listening volume is lower wink_face.gif.

 

I'd be more inclined to believe in "ear warm ups" (which it really isn't at all a warm up).  I don't believe most headphone drivers are elastic, or have plastic properties when subjected to a signal for an extended period of time.  This would suggest that not running a current through a driver for a period of time would actually change its physical properties.  To me, that seems harder to believe than our physiology making adjustments (which is true).

 

Unless our drivers are made of some sort of semi-aqueous material...

 

I'm open for a constructive, intuitive response

post #1165 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Audiohead View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

Are you suggesting my former diverse music library of 54,000 tracks wasn't big enough?normal_smile%20.gif Brain gets partial credit. Emotions get partial credit. However, components that are "cooked" can and sometimes do sound different than seldom used gear. 

 

Headphones and other components that are use to having juice run through them, may return to their previous state when out of the rotation; not turned on. In my listening room, warmed electronics and cold electronics do not sound the same. I've experienced this first hand over the years. Both my vacuum tube amp and vintage stereo receiver take time to fully come on song...

 

What I find odd (sometimes) is members who may own 12 premium cans, pick a pair up that hasn't been played in 12 months and declare in only 12 minutes of listening what it sounds like. And put them down for something else. Everyone has a different reality, I suppose.rolleyes.gif

 

Back on topic - some how, some way a D7100 loaner shows up, I'm gonna make 'em sweat! evil_smiley.gif

 

 

I'd be hesitant to say solid state devices experience sonic changes during "warm up".  Tubes are another whole can of worms.

 

You know, our bodies control acoustic transmission over long duration input with musculature.  Ever been in a quiet place for a long time and then throw on a set of cans?  I bet the initial listening volume is lower wink_face.gif.

 

I'd be more inclined to believe in "ear warm ups" (which it really isn't at all a warm up).  I don't believe most headphone drivers are elastic, or have plastic properties when subjected to a signal for an extended period of time.  This would suggest that not running a current through a driver for a period of time would actually change its physical properties.  To me, that seems harder to believe than our physiology making adjustments (which is true).

 

Unless our drivers are made of some sort of semi-aqueous material...

 

I'm open for a constructive, intuitive response

 

"Ever been in a quiet place for a long time and then throw on a set of cans? I bet the initial listening volume is lower wink_face.gif."  I will strive for brevity, being this is a Denon D7100 thread. Typically, my sessions are scheduled in advance. I generally engage in two hour warm ups (most of the time)...because I can. And seating is usually very late - round midnight - with a silent background.

 

I always start out low to make sure there are no unpleasant surprises. However, where I'm at emotionally will determine what track at what volume even at the start. You'd tongue_smile.gif lose that bet!

 

Also, you say that you'd be hesitant to say that solid state devices experience sonic changes during warm up. Two things you might wanna consider is age and design. Both my 1977 Pioneer SX-650 stereo receiver and 1980 Pioneer SX-D7000 stereo receiver are no youngin's. And take some time to come on song. And boy, when the latter amp does...look out! Same goes for my 1977 Sony PS-X5 Turntable.

 

Things to consider before my bedtime later: Do cables and electronic pieces age (oxidize)? If no, great! If yes, at what rate? Would there be any differences between states of use - currently flowing like it's 1999 vs seldom used stuff?

popcorn.gif

 

Yes, we are instruments and can use warming up ourselves at times.


Edited by Silent One - 1/31/13 at 11:38pm
post #1166 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

 

It took my D5000 appx 150 hours to get themselves right; Bass was t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e. Things got good to 500 hours. Then came "1,250" and a change was afoot, slowly sweetening. Between hours 1,500-1,900 the Denons were completely different cans...refined like I hadn't heard them before.wink.gif

 

I experienced fewer shifts in a shorter amount of time with the D7000, however. Only two changes in fact and both below 200 hours. Now sitting at 1,791 hours, I simply got what I got...we love 'em!

Amazingly long brain burn-in time! But I would rather believe it's been connected more with emotions from other areas of life than from the headphones themselves. Just my opinion.


Edited by korzena - 2/1/13 at 2:18am
post #1167 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by korzena View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

 

It took my D5000 appx 150 hours to get themselves right; Bass was t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e. Things got good to 500 hours. Then came "1,250" and a change was afoot, slowly sweetening. Between hours 1,500-1,900 the Denons were completely different cans...refined like I hadn't heard them before.wink.gif

 

I experienced fewer shifts in a shorter amount of time with the D7000, however. Only two changes in fact and both below 200 hours. Now sitting at 1,791 hours, I simply got what I got...we love 'em!

Amazingly long brain burn-in time! But I would rather believe it's been connected more with emotions from other areas of life than from the headphones themselves. Just my opinion.

 

I'll politely disagree with 150 hours being an amazingly long brain burn-in time. Possible, yes, but in my view this isn't strictly limited to the brain.

post #1168 of 1913

I usually burn-in a headphone for a few days and then listen to them on and off for the next few days/weeks/months.  Living with something is very different from trying something for a few hours.

post #1169 of 1913

I live with my cans from the start...and start paying attention...throughout its entire journey.wink.gif Who no like intimacy?

post #1170 of 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

 

I'll politely disagree with 150 hours being an amazingly long brain burn-in time. Possible, yes, but in my view this isn't strictly limited to the brain.

I was referring to the "1,500-1,900":)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon D7100?!