I got the stack ordered also. I hope it comes in a week or two. I ended up adding usb so I can use it with my new Macbook Air. I ordered on Dec. 3, probably a few days before they became backordered. I have a feeling this thread will take off again once the new batch of buyers finally take possession.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Ayre / NAD / Eximus comparison? Last post on 6/6/12 at 8:20pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Help! What's best Dedicated DAC with a seperate AMP/Pre fully balanced <$1,500? Last post on 6/21/12 at 5:06pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Best DACs with asynchronous 24/192 or higher USB and volume control? W4S DAC2? Up to $2000. Last post on 7/12/14 at 5:48am in Dedicated Source Components
- Which would you choose? Last post on 8/30/14 at 4:59am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Purchasing LCD-X Amp DAC Suggestions. Last post on 5/31/14 at 11:18am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
To begin with, I would like to thank iFi for making this great tour and allowing some of us to test this product. I've been enjoying my original micro iDSD since January 2015 and it is really a...
-- **This review is a sample portion from the full thread: Meet the Puresounds Earbud Family.** **All photos are taken by me.** **Disclaimer - I was provided the Puresounds...
There comes a time you're bored from your audio gear. You don't have a grand or two for a new set of ultra high end headphones to give you that fresh kick, and electronics costing as much as your...
MY GOD!!! I have just received my headphones! I have been putting them through there initial paces straight from the box, after just 30 mins I have had to come here to let you know my experience so...
At the time this review was written, the Oriveti NEW Primacy was listed for sale on Amazon’s website. Here is a link to their listing of the...
Schiit Gungnir DAC - Page 57post #841 of 41091/9/13 at 4:40pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #842 of 41091/9/13 at 4:50pmpost #843 of 41091/9/13 at 4:54pmQuote:
I play very few disks anymore. The only Redbook disk (16/44.1) I have done much listening to is the sampler CD that came with my speakers. Every CD I've ever owned is now on my NAS (lossless flac) and usually I use one of the Sonos (2 in the house) to play CDs. When I'm in a HiFi mood It's always 24 bit content and very little of that is 44.1. Having said that, there is very little difference I can detect (if any) between the NAS->DAC->Amp and Oppo->Amp paths. The Oppo is an awesome machine and I've only begun to explore it's features. I'm hoping it will replace my Boxee for playing ad-hoc video content.
Frankpost #844 of 41091/9/13 at 6:32pm
the nice thing about an external DAC is that you can do room correction with software if you're using a PC or hardware as in a behringer DEQ 24/96 with the best possible DAC. the oppo has been rated class A by stereophile (if that really even means anything beyond "thanks for advertising with us"), but if you want to do room correction with it, you need to burn CDs, and then burn more if you so much as add acoustic treatment to your room or even move the speakers, if, like me, you still listen to speakers like an old school barbarian. (i do have several headphones and earphones though) that the gungnir has RCA jacks is a big plus to me against the yulong D18. it'd be nice if someone could do a direct comparison between those two as they're very close in price and respectability from everything i've read here so far.post #845 of 41091/9/13 at 6:55pm
Nope. Only the Pro's have optical. I really wanted a rMBP but don't really need it not a a huge photographer or anything like that. I use optical on my imac and usb on my air I cannot tell a difference. But I do try to use optical if I can, just because from what I have read its supposed to be better, my ears cannot notice a SQ difference though.post #846 of 41091/9/13 at 8:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by jronan2
Nope. Only the Pro's have optical. I really wanted a rMBP but don't really need it not a a huge photographer or anything like that. I use optical on my imac and usb on my air I cannot tell a difference. But I do try to use optical if I can, just because from what I have read its supposed to be better, my ears cannot notice a SQ difference though.
+1post #847 of 41091/10/13 at 6:34ampost #848 of 41091/10/13 at 7:05amQuote:
And the Retina Pros.
It seems like Apple is moving away from SPDIF out, at least on notebooks.post #849 of 41091/10/13 at 4:29pmpost #850 of 41091/10/13 at 4:37pmpost #851 of 41091/10/13 at 4:44pm
Oops! It didn't show up in the first set of specs released by Apple. Guess I should have upgraded, but I want a 13" and quad i7 before changing up.post #852 of 41091/10/13 at 4:49pmQuote:Originally Posted by Erukian
Can someone who actually owns one confirm?
Typing on one now.... and listening to Bifrost/Lyr/LCD2... via 96kHz S/PDIF Optical.
15" MBP Retina 2.6GHz Intel Core i7
Edited by Iamnothim - 1/10/13 at 4:51pmpost #853 of 41091/10/13 at 5:29pmQuote:
It's just a matter of time before we see the 13" retina. Probably by summer which is when the rMBP came out.
Apple seems to have no rhyme or reason when it comes to scheduling mac releases, unlike iPhones and iPads.post #854 of 41091/10/13 at 6:08pmQuote:
Yea. Like releasing The New Ipad just months before The New New Ipad.post #855 of 41091/11/13 at 3:56amQuote:Originally Posted by Iamnothim
Like other audio component and accessories (that shall not be mentioned in this thread) discussions, I have a difficult time
believing one digital processor can sound better than another. Bits is bits. If you have enough horsepower to drive data over an interface, you are good to go.
'Tain't so. :-)
If you've ever been listening to your system when it's lost signal lock, you've heard the actual digital bits, and it's really unpleasant - sounds like a loud burst of static. All DACs have to filter those bits to make music out of them (it's called "decimation"). The vast majority of DACs, including the Schiit DACs, make the sample rate higher (interpolation) before the decimation step in order to avoid certain forms of distortion. Both interpolation and decimation are done by means of filters. Those filters use math known as Fourier transforms. Fourier transforms cannot optimize frequency and time domain response at the same time. When you make one better, the other gets worse. That's just the way the math works. So the filtering in each and every DAC represents a compromise by the maker of the DAC, or the maker of the DAC chip, between best time response and best frequency response. The sound you hear, which is the result of that filtering, is based on the designer's judgment (possibly aided by other listeners) as to which compromise provides the best overall sound quality. So different DACs can and do sound very different based on the different filter designs the DAC makers or DAC chip makers chose.
- Schiit Gungnir DAC
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Headphones like LCD 3 but are more comfortable and have more... 9 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Empire Ears ADEL - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 1 minute ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 1 minute ago
- › Sony MH1 alternative 2 minutes ago
- › Absolute best budget earbuds? 5 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 5 minutes ago
- › Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 6 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 7 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by rafaelpernil
- › PureSounds PS100-600 by BloodyPenguin
- › Schiit Audio Vali 2 by DeeKay10
- › AKG K92 | Over Ear Closed Back Monitoring Headphone by SaturnVuk
- › ORIVETI NEW PRIMACY - Premium Triple Driver Hybrid HiFi IEM Headphones by Hisoundfi
- › Accutone Gemini HD by crabdog
- › FiiO F3 Dynamic In-Ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by chompchomps
- › Cayin i5 by piksnz
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear