Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit Gungnir DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Gungnir DAC - Page 44

post #646 of 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by kLevkoff View Post

About USB screeches.

 

First, I have a Bifrost and I've never heard it do anything like that, but I can shed some light on the subject overall.

 

When you start and stop the data stream on a computer (which happens whenever you start or stop a track, and whenever you change the sample rate), you sometimes end up with what amounts to a little bit of bad data in the computer's buffer. When the new track starts, the computer "clears its throat" and dumps this bad data. The result is a really nasty burst of not quite white noise that sounds like a click or screech. Most DACs mute this, but sometimes a little bit manages to get by. (You have to pick a mute time: if it's too short then sometimes you hear a screech; if its too long, you bite off some of the music.) I've heard similar occasional screeches or clicks with quite a few different USB DACs. I suspect that you only hear it when the particular computer and software happens to send out a longer burst than usual, or the DAC gets "caught out" and doesn't mute like it should. Of the half dozen DACs I use often, three or four of them do it - at least occasionally......

 

 

Does that mean the "screech" would happen at the beginning of a track? I'm hearing it in the middle of tracks (using Memory Play in Pure Music).

post #647 of 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwelles View Post

Does that mean the "screech" would happen at the beginning of a track? I'm hearing it in the middle of tracks (using Memory Play in Pure Music).

 

Agreed (using Audirvana Plus, which is also a memory player).  To me, it sounds more like the DAC is beginning to be overdriven (a sibilance or harshness), then goes all the way into something similar to feedback, though not as harsh or loud as, say, the guitar feedback sounds most of us are familiar with.

post #648 of 1594

Not much has been said in regards to Gungnir's soundstage.

How does its soundstage compare to other DACs (Bifrost, V800, MDAC)?
 

post #649 of 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by korzena View Post

Not much has been said in regards to Gungnir's soundstage.
How does its soundstage compare to other DACs (Bifrost, V800, MDAC)?

Soundstage is a weird one to assess. When my speakers are positioned just right they disappear. Its funny, but compared to my MSB and Transporter I dont think the Gungnir is much, if at all different. That could be a good thing. The staging is what I would call 'believable'. Dont worry, for the bux, its good!
post #650 of 1594

I just ordered one of these from headphone bar in Canada. USB version was all they had in stock. I don't really need the input as I intend to use optical out from the Mac but I suppose it'll be good to have just in case.

 

I'll be curious to compare this with the ODAC in my system now.

 

I had previously bought a JKDAC32 in the late summer and the sound was a nice improvement over the ODAC (it was subtle, but noticeable to me at the time) but the necessary drivers introduced noticeable and unacceptable audio lag for every application on the Mac. So I had to return it which was disappointing as I liked the sound. I'm hoping that the Gungnir will provide a meaningful upgrade to the ODAC and I can stop DAC hopping.

post #651 of 1594

I finally got the 'buy better gear light' to turn on.  The Gungnir does not like the Airport express' optical signal.

post #652 of 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourceGuy View Post

I finally got the 'buy better gear light' to turn on.  The Gungnir does not like the Airport express' optical signal.

 

Fascinating. I know my Bifrost plays nicely with the Apple TV, but I've not tried it with the AE. I'll try multiple combinations once the Gungnir arrives.

 

I know the DacMagic was basically useless with the AE... dropouts every 10 seconds or so. Unlistenable.

post #653 of 1594

Interesting, I go there often to bother Travis and interrupt his business by sitting there for hours listening to stuff. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCfiner View Post

I just ordered one of these from headphone bar in Canada. USB version was all they had in stock. I don't really need the input as I intend to use optical out from the Mac but I suppose it'll be good to have just in case.

 

I'll be curious to compare this with the ODAC in my system now.

 

I had previously bought a JKDAC32 in the late summer and the sound was a nice improvement over the ODAC (it was subtle, but noticeable to me at the time) but the necessary drivers introduced noticeable and unacceptable audio lag for every application on the Mac. So I had to return it which was disappointing as I liked the sound. I'm hoping that the Gungnir will provide a meaningful upgrade to the ODAC and I can stop DAC hopping.

post #654 of 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias of Sunhillow View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourceGuy View Post

I finally got the 'buy better gear light' to turn on.  The Gungnir does not like the Airport express' optical signal.

Fascinating. I know my Bifrost plays nicely with the Apple TV, but I've not tried it with the AE. I'll try multiple combinations once the Gungnir arrives.

I know the DacMagic was basically useless with the AE... dropouts every 10 seconds or so. Unlistenable.

Are you guys running lossless files through the AE? I remember reading that it streams much better with compressed music.
post #655 of 1594

Hi folks,

 

I have streamed  video twice with the audio goign through the Gungnir, and both times I have had a lag between the audio and the video. The first time was using a M2Tech HiFace that I thought was likely producing the lag. But last night I had an optical cable from my Mac MIni straight to the Gungnir. I haven't tested this with physical media like a DVD yet (on my to-do list for today), but I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this.

post #656 of 1594
Thats not the Gungnir. There is buffering going on with the audio.

I say, the best way to handle video is use a blu-ray player with some digital outputs and connect the DAC through that. I have used my Gungnir with my blu-ray player. Sounds great of course!
post #657 of 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post


Are you guys running lossless files through the AE? I remember reading that it streams much better with compressed music.

 

I've never personally experienced a difference with lossless vs. lossy files using the AE or Apple TV. My library is about 75% lossless and streaming via Apple TV > Bifrost > Outlaw RR2150 receiver is my primary method of speaker listening.

post #658 of 1594
Yes, I am running apple lossless files through the AE. The light only comes on after a few minutes of listening.... Sometimes longer. I don't think the file type would matter but more so the digital transport itself.
post #659 of 1594

Will Gungnir be a big upgrade from Bifrost in the following setup:

PC laptop > USB/SPDIF converter (JKSPDIF mk3) > Bifrost OR Gungnir > Schiit Lyr > LCD2 rev.2

What does Gungnir do much better than Bifrost?


Edited by korzena - 11/2/12 at 11:27am
post #660 of 1594
The Bifrost may be a better match for the Lyr, as the Bifrost is reportedly a leaner sounding DAC and the Lyr has a warmish sound to somewhat offset that. The Gungnir > Mjolnir combo is reportedly somewhat the opposite, where the DAC has more body and the amp is fast and lean.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit Gungnir DAC