- 8,613 Posts. Joined 12/2002
- Location: OKC
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Ayre / NAD / Eximus comparison? Last post on 6/6/12 at 8:20pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Help! What's best Dedicated DAC with a seperate AMP/Pre fully balanced <$1,500? Last post on 6/21/12 at 5:06pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Best DACs with asynchronous 24/192 or higher USB and volume control? W4S DAC2? Up to $2000. Last post on 7/12/14 at 5:48am in Dedicated Source Components
- Schiit Owners Unite Last post on 5/28/15 at 2:07pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Which would you choose? Last post on 8/30/14 at 4:59am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
$250 (got mine 10% off from a promo code on theheadphonelist.com but it was only valid for 2014) - 2 Balanced armature Drivers - 1 Bass Driver - 1 High Frequency Driver - 1 sound bore -...
Intro There are very few headphones which have survived three decades and still remain as the main workhorse for many sound professionals around the world. The Sony MDR-7506 started out as...
This is not a review, just my simple impression of Grado SR80e. I purchased SR80e and listened to them... what a hell is going on...lol..at this price point...sounds great...I am now a fan boy of...
Aune B1 portable headphone amplifier Review [[SPOILER]] Intro: Focusing on achieving high quality sound at a competitive price point while utilizing premium materials and uniquely eye-catching...
Ok i'll just jump straight to the point, should you buy this? Absolutely Not . Here's why; - It's a screen-less shuffle style player, obviously not intended to compete with the screened DAP...
Schiit Gungnir DAC - Page 19
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Same was for my Lyr and Bifrost. I didn't notice on the mid-tier stack, until you brought it up. Interesting.
I still have my Bifrost and the LEDs are just like they are on the Gungnir. My Lyr is long gone but I recall it being the same opaque white as on the Mjolnir.
Yep, it has always been on the amp side. Very funny. But it doesn't bother me.
Does the Gungnir have an usb input? It would be interesting to test against the Vlink.
It's either a voltage thing, or intentional subliminal design....the DAC is clear and crisp, the amp is warm and smooth
From everything I've read the USB input doesn't sound as good as the SPDIF... so I'm guessing the USB isn't worth getting unless one needs it. I think the MF V-Link 192 will be a nice upgrade once it arrives (in the mail now). Can't wait for that to get here and try it out... though I'm guessing the Gungnir will have to go back to it's owner by that point. ;)
How many hours did the Gungnir have on it? I tend to find that transistors and capacitors need 350 hours or so of use before they settle down.
I have owned the 840c and, like you, I found it made zero difference how it was fed a digital signal. Nowadays, I'd say its second-hand value of $800 or so is about right considering the stiff competition.
Yep - thats why I HATE haveing to sell anything that I found was a 'mistake'. Some items are 'hot' and sell well. I have had a couple of those. Most of the time I settle for half of what i paid for it. I cant afford that any more. I bought the Gungnir and I am looking forward to its arrival. I feel good about this one. I am quite confident it will be a keeper no matter what. Just like I kept my MSB LInk DAC lll. I'm glad I did. It was, and still is, a great DAC. I believe the Gungnir will be one of those.
The Gungnir now has a good 50 hours on it, I'm leaving it run basically 24/7 these next couple days feeding it with every type of music one can find (I have over 155K songs to choose from) so I'm all over the place with Bill's Gungnir.
My favorite so far has been Nitin Sawhney, I have all his albums and they are some of the best produced albums out there in my opinion.
Now that I'm over the 50hr mark, I have to say some of the midrange is coming in now sounding fuller. Some of the simbilance I was hearing in voices has basically gone away now. It's definitely a great DAC that's all there is too it.
I will say that it's almost 95% identical to the CA840c now. Only thing the CA840c does better is it has a bigger overall soundstage still. As an example there's the one Nitin Sawhney song, Anthem without Nation off the Beyond Skin album where there's these brush/bucket beats that are really pushed out of phase and sound like they are coming from behind you. The Gungnir produces them and they are about at your sitting plane. With the 840c, those same things sound like they are litterally behind you and at points almost like someone comes up from behind and flicks your right ear. It'll get you at times.
The Gungnir is a little bit narrower and definitely not as deep (behind the speakers). All instruments seem to be, more or less, on about 1 or 2 planes.... where the CA840c has about 4 or 5 planes going back beyond the speakers. I'm still thinking with more time, the Gungnir is going to get there. At least that's been my experience with new equipment is the soundstage takes time to really come together.
Definitely having a blast with the songs on random which I don't do too often as it's pulling some things I've not heard in forever and some I've never heard before. ha ha!
If only I had a good way to hook up my B&W C5s to it, but alas I don't have any good headphone amp for them to test out the Gungnir with.
Edited by PewterTA - 10/5/12 at 9:23pm
Thanks for the impressions, but to help us gauge them please share what headphone and amp that you are listening with.
Also thanks for telling me about Nitin Sawhney! I just ordered used copies of Beyond Skin and Prophesy
So this week hopefully, I'll have upgraded my amp to the Mjolnir, my DAC to the Gungnir, and my cable to the Q cable. I'll have my LCD-2s back and I think I should have requested a vacation from work cause I don't think I will be very motivated to go any where once I start burning in that new combination.
- Schiit Gungnir DAC
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread 25 seconds ago
- › JDS Labs Element 52 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: April 25th, 2015) 1 minute ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Rank the most accurate headphones you've heard. 2 minutes ago
- › DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . Lurker0 FW Mod... 2 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Oldest headphones you currently own and use. 3 minutes ago
- › Perfect Seal SportBud Silver by DreamKing
- › Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone by RudeWolf
- › Grado Labs SR80e by Pokemonn
- › Aune B1 by money4me247
- › Hippo Biscuit by BruceBanner
- › MartinLogan Mikros 90 Reference On-Ear Headphones by remwang
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by mark2410
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by hakushondaimao
- › Brainwavz BLU-100 Bluetooth IEMs by kova4a
- › EarSonics Velvet by LMka
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2