- 8,662 Posts. Joined 12/2002
- Location: OKC
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Ayre / NAD / Eximus comparison? Last post on 6/6/12 at 8:20pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Help! What's best Dedicated DAC with a seperate AMP/Pre fully balanced <$1,500? Last post on 6/21/12 at 5:06pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Best DACs with asynchronous 24/192 or higher USB and volume control? W4S DAC2? Up to $2000. Last post on 7/12/14 at 5:48am in Dedicated Source Components
- Which would you choose? Last post on 8/30/14 at 4:59am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Purchasing LCD-X Amp DAC Suggestions. Last post on 5/31/14 at 11:18am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
*review this right after i have this headphone. burn in test not yet available Lost my AKG K403, my very first HD headphone (to me). Very low on budget, found this, bought it, waited for a near...
INTRODUCTION: Paw Gold is a high resolution music player from the brand Lotoo, that is part of the Beijing Infomedia Electronic Technology Co Ltd. It sports an industrial looking outer body...
Too much dirt and sibilance at 5.5-6.5KHz. Also they are not so murderous about bass as many people suggest. Characteristics (subjective, 10 max): Resolution:...
Preamble: Etymotic Research, founded in 1983 in the USA by Mead Killion (http://www.etymotic.com/about-us/interview-with-mead), a man that I highly respect, is widely...
It’s been a year since I started writing/filming reviews, and it all began with the ZMF Vibro Mk. I in cornflower blue. I found the sound very fun, found the bass ports interesting and thought they...
Schiit Gungnir DAC - Page 19post #271 of 422710/5/12 at 1:47amYes
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #272 of 422710/5/12 at 2:15amQuote:
Same was for my Lyr and Bifrost. I didn't notice on the mid-tier stack, until you brought it up. Interesting.post #273 of 422710/5/12 at 2:27am
I still have my Bifrost and the LEDs are just like they are on the Gungnir. My Lyr is long gone but I recall it being the same opaque white as on the Mjolnir.post #274 of 422710/5/12 at 2:29amQuote:
Yep, it has always been on the amp side. Very funny. But it doesn't bother me.post #275 of 422710/5/12 at 6:39amQuote:
Does the Gungnir have an usb input? It would be interesting to test against the Vlink.post #276 of 422710/5/12 at 6:49ampost #277 of 422710/5/12 at 10:16amQuote:
It's either a voltage thing, or intentional subliminal design....the DAC is clear and crisp, the amp is warm and smoothpost #278 of 422710/5/12 at 3:29pm
From everything I've read the USB input doesn't sound as good as the SPDIF... so I'm guessing the USB isn't worth getting unless one needs it. I think the MF V-Link 192 will be a nice upgrade once it arrives (in the mail now). Can't wait for that to get here and try it out... though I'm guessing the Gungnir will have to go back to it's owner by that point. ;)post #279 of 422710/5/12 at 4:50pmpost #280 of 422710/5/12 at 7:59pm
How many hours did the Gungnir have on it? I tend to find that transistors and capacitors need 350 hours or so of use before they settle down.
I have owned the 840c and, like you, I found it made zero difference how it was fed a digital signal. Nowadays, I'd say its second-hand value of $800 or so is about right considering the stiff competition.post #281 of 422710/5/12 at 9:08pm
Yep - thats why I HATE haveing to sell anything that I found was a 'mistake'. Some items are 'hot' and sell well. I have had a couple of those. Most of the time I settle for half of what i paid for it. I cant afford that any more. I bought the Gungnir and I am looking forward to its arrival. I feel good about this one. I am quite confident it will be a keeper no matter what. Just like I kept my MSB LInk DAC lll. I'm glad I did. It was, and still is, a great DAC. I believe the Gungnir will be one of those.post #282 of 422710/5/12 at 9:10pmpost #283 of 422710/5/12 at 9:21pm
The Gungnir now has a good 50 hours on it, I'm leaving it run basically 24/7 these next couple days feeding it with every type of music one can find (I have over 155K songs to choose from) so I'm all over the place with Bill's Gungnir.
My favorite so far has been Nitin Sawhney, I have all his albums and they are some of the best produced albums out there in my opinion.
Now that I'm over the 50hr mark, I have to say some of the midrange is coming in now sounding fuller. Some of the simbilance I was hearing in voices has basically gone away now. It's definitely a great DAC that's all there is too it.
I will say that it's almost 95% identical to the CA840c now. Only thing the CA840c does better is it has a bigger overall soundstage still. As an example there's the one Nitin Sawhney song, Anthem without Nation off the Beyond Skin album where there's these brush/bucket beats that are really pushed out of phase and sound like they are coming from behind you. The Gungnir produces them and they are about at your sitting plane. With the 840c, those same things sound like they are litterally behind you and at points almost like someone comes up from behind and flicks your right ear. It'll get you at times.
The Gungnir is a little bit narrower and definitely not as deep (behind the speakers). All instruments seem to be, more or less, on about 1 or 2 planes.... where the CA840c has about 4 or 5 planes going back beyond the speakers. I'm still thinking with more time, the Gungnir is going to get there. At least that's been my experience with new equipment is the soundstage takes time to really come together.
Definitely having a blast with the songs on random which I don't do too often as it's pulling some things I've not heard in forever and some I've never heard before. ha ha!
If only I had a good way to hook up my B&W C5s to it, but alas I don't have any good headphone amp for them to test out the Gungnir with.
Edited by PewterTA - 10/5/12 at 9:23pmpost #284 of 422710/5/12 at 11:03pmQuote:
Thanks for the impressions, but to help us gauge them please share what headphone and amp that you are listening with.
Also thanks for telling me about Nitin Sawhney! I just ordered used copies of Beyond Skin and Prophesypost #285 of 422710/6/12 at 8:13am
So this week hopefully, I'll have upgraded my amp to the Mjolnir, my DAC to the Gungnir, and my cable to the Q cable. I'll have my LCD-2s back and I think I should have requested a vacation from work cause I don't think I will be very motivated to go any where once I start burning in that new combination.
- Schiit Gungnir DAC
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG 21 seconds ago
- › Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB... 1 minute ago
- › Review: 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphone with In-line... 2 minutes ago
- › Getting into HRAudio- ONN X series 3 minutes ago
- › Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) 3 minutes ago
- › Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 4 minutes ago
- › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons) 4 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 4 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 4 minutes ago
- › Superlux HD 681 by IkuMiku96
- › Lotoo Paw Gold by EagleWings
- › JVC HA-FX101 by PETEBULL
- › Etymotic ER4XR by HiFiChris
- › ZMF Headphones Eikon by Aornic
- › Accutone Pisces HD by Cinder
- › Beyerdynamic DT 480 by kman1211
- › Schiit Audio Yggdrasil by Currawong
- › oBravo ERIB-1C 2way planar magnetic hybrid by twister6
- › Astell & Kern AK Jr. Hi-Res Music Player 64GB by SkumBucket
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear