or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit Gungnir DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Gungnir DAC - Page 92

post #1366 of 3947
Reading beyermonster's first post above made wonder, has anyone successfully got the buy better gear light to turn on? I remember Jason saying some converters would but I've yet to see it
post #1367 of 3947
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydoseofdaly View Post

Reading beyermonster's first post above made wonder, has anyone successfully got the buy better gear light to turn on? I remember Jason saying some converters would but I've yet to see it

Try it with an Airport Express--this is the most reliable way to get BBG to light.

 

Or a 10-year-old CD player--they're frequently off frequency by that time...

post #1368 of 3947
Ok your on, I'm pretty sure I have a cheap old CD player around somewhere I'll try it after work biggrin.gif

follow up
alright i found a toshiba dvd player from 98 that also plays cd's. I hooked the player via optical and coaxial to see if maybe one would trigger the bbg light. AND!!!! no light, the gungnir worked fine with optical and coax during cd playback. However the gungnir was not totally happy about it, when the music was paused the relay in the gung would click like crazy on either input but immediately stop during playback. So the search for really crappy gear continues...
Edited by dailydoseofdaly - 4/9/14 at 2:56pm
post #1369 of 3947
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyerMonster View Post
 

Hi all, just received my Schiit stack including a Gungnir w/ USB Gen 2 today and I've noticed a recurring problem. Every time I start up a USB audio stream there's either a few very noticeable crackles/pops or a stutter in the first 3 seconds or so. Can easily be reproduced by simply pressing pause then play. Has anyone else experienced this?

 

I'm almost positive that the source is somewhere between the Gungnir drivers and the Gungnir's USB inputs. I don't think it's the Mjolnir, cabling, or anything else, because it does not appear to happen with the Gungnir via Optical or with any other gear using the same cabling.

 

Here's my whole setup which should hopefully be enough information to diagnose/confirm the issue.

 

This setup reliably makes several snap/crackle/pops in the 1.5-2s after music starts flowing:

PC->Schiit USB->USB->Gungnir->SE cables->Mjolnir->Audeze stock balanced cables->Audeze LCD-3

 

All of the following reliably do NOT make a similar snap/crackle/pop:

PC->S/PDIF Pass-Through->Optical->Gungnir->SE cables->Mjolnir->Audeze stock balanced cables->Audeze LCD-3

PC->Tenor USB->USB->V800->SE cables->V200->Audeze stock unbalanced cables->Audeze LCD-3

PC->S/PDIF Pass-Through->Optical->V800->SE cables->V200->Audeze stock unbalanced cables->Audeze LCD-3

PC->SPDIF ALO(Pan Am) USB->USB->ALO Pan Am->Audeze stock unbalanced cables->Audeze LCD-3

 

PC is Windows 7 with an Asus Xonar DX running Foobar communicating via WASAPI(event) with a 5s buffer and basically nothing else going on (Core i7 with tons of spare CPU, so computer shouldn't be the problem).

 

Also note that the "Buy better gear" light never came on at any time in this process.

 

Due to lack of available desk space the Mjolnir is on top of Gungnir on top of an Onkyo Receiver (turned off) and next to a small bookshelf loudspeaker. I don't think this is related to placement, but I'll let someone chime in.

 

No power conditioning in this setup, but the computer is plugged into an APC UPS and all audio gear is plugged into a surge protector going into the same outlet. However, nothing except the 2 Schiit pieces are powered on atm.

I'm wondering... why do you opt to use SE cables to connect the Schiit Gungnir and Mjolnir? 

 

---

I rec'd my PYST XLR cables today. Tomorrow my Mjolnir and LCD-3 should arrive via FedEx from their previous owner.

post #1370 of 3947
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK277 View Post
 

I'm wondering... why do you opt to use SE cables to connect the Schiit Gungnir and Mjolnir?

I have 2 sets of balanced interconnects on order, but I don't currently have any with me right now.

post #1371 of 3947
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyerMonster View Post
 

I have 2 sets of balanced interconnects on order, but I don't currently have any with me right now.

Ah. I hope you will write a little blurb on the sound difference, if any. ^^

post #1372 of 3947

I received my Gungnir+Mjolnir stack last week.  The Gungnir came with an incorrectly configured and non-functional USB card, with jumpers that were not soldered correctly (which Schiit notified me about before the Gungnir arrived, offering a helpful discount).  I got the replacement USB card two days ago and set up the system.  

 

One question that I've not seen answered here: what are the correct C-Media Asio driver settings?  If you click on the driver settings, you get a pop-up that looks like this:

 

 

There are settings for bit-depth and latency.  What is the correct setting for bit-depth?  There are three offerings: 16/16 bits, 24/24 bits and 32/32 bits.  Why two numbers?  Why no option for bit-depth of the file?  Is this a max bit-depth for the device?  I've checked for the Gungnir clicks when you switch between files of different bit-depths, and I get them going from 16 to 24 bit-depth and the other way around independent of this setting.  In particular, I can play 24 bit files and I get the click between 16 and 24 bit files even with the 16 bit-depth setting.   Does the driver settings panel do anything at all for bit depth?  How could I tell?  I assume that 24/24 is the best setting, but I'd like to know that my driver install and USB card configuration is correct to start with.  There is one link I found from last fall where the driver settings look slightly different.  I have a Win 7 machine.  

 

UBS input is much better than toslink.  Which may be just my toslink out being horrible?  

 

Update (April 13): on the DSD settings page, Schiit recommends setting the C-Media Asio driver to 24/24 bit and a latency of 50ms.  So I'm going with that.  I emailed Schiit as well, heared from Laura that she passed it to their tech, nothing since then.  


Edited by StefanJK - 4/13/14 at 8:17pm
post #1373 of 3947
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanJK View Post
 

I received my Gungnir+Mjolnir stack last week.

 

 

Looks like you're using Foobar in a setup that is very similar to mine. Out of curiosity, can you take a peek at my post and see if you get the same crackles and/or pops:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/603219/schiit-gungnir-dac/1350#post_10439947

 

Despite being unable to reproduce my problem when using different devices, I was able to eventually reproduce the problem in WASAPI and ASIO modes. However, it only happened in Foobar. I tried MusicBee and I can't reproduce the problem. While I definitely prefer Foobar to MusicBee at this point and I couldn't get the problem to occur with any other USB output device, I can't really fault Schiit if I can find a music player that does work properly. Now it's just a matter of whether I think the Gungdir is worth the $850+.

 

I'm updating my original post now.

post #1374 of 3947
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyerMonster View Post
 

 

Looks like you're using Foobar in a setup that is very similar to mine. Out of curiosity, can you take a peek at my post and see if you get the same crackles and/or pops.

I did have some crackling when I started up Chrome with my 70+ tabs loading at once, even some drop outs, and occassional crackling at other times too.  After some snooping around, installing new WLAN drivers etc., I ended up with the suggested first simple solution, switching USB ports (from an Intel USB bus to an ASmedia USB bus).  That took care of most of it.  Not 100%, but nothing serious is left besides minor crackling during Chrome startup.  I only start up Chrome once per session.  I'll probably mess around more with it in the future, but for now I'll just listen to what I have -- I'm not investing hours into fixing this until I feel like it.  My machine is overclocked and has 14 HDDs on it, including 4 external HDDs on USB ports, so some issues are to be expected and there are more fixes to try.  For instance, just unplug the external HDDs?  NDIS 6.2 seems the main culprit, but knowing that hasn't lead to any 100% solutions yet.  

 

Update: messing around with the latency setting in Foobar2000 (not the C-Media Asio driver settings) got rid of the remaining noise.  


Edited by StefanJK - 4/12/14 at 9:53pm
post #1375 of 3947
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanJK View Post
 

I did have some crackling when I started up Chrome with my 70+ tabs loading at once, even some drop outs, and occassional crackling at other times too.  After some snooping around, installing new WLAN drivers etc., I ended up with the suggested first simple solution, switching USB ports (from an Intel USB bus to an ASmedia USB bus).  That took care of most of it.  Not 100%, but nothing serious is left besides minor crackling during Chrome startup.  I only start up Chrome once per session.  I'll probably mess around more with it in the future, but for now I'll just listen to what I have -- I'm not investing hours into fixing this until I feel like it.  My machine is overclocked and has 14 HDDs on it, including 4 external HDDs on USB ports, so some issues are to be expected and there are more fixes to try.  For instance, just unplug the external HDDs?  NDIS 6.2 seems the main culprit, but knowing that hasn't lead to any 100% solutions yet.  

Glad the port swap worked out for you. There's no way I would be willing to live with continued crackling every time I pressed play or picked a new track. I'd rather just go back to lugging CDs around.

post #1376 of 3947
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyerMonster View Post
 

Glad the port swap worked out for you. There's no way I would be willing to live with continued crackling every time I pressed play or picked a new track. I'd rather just go back to lugging CDs around.

I have a 98 toshiba player that works almost perfect with the gung,i could make you a killer deal :p

post #1377 of 3947

Received the Gungnir today!  The first word that popped in my head when I heard it was smooth.  It's so detailed without a hint of harshness, I may have just retired my turntable.  :eek: 

I'm only using rca cables to the Mjolnir right now because the PYST XLR cables should arrive Friday or Saturday.  I'm using coaxial from my PC.


Edited by brokenthumb - 4/12/14 at 11:26am
post #1378 of 3947

Picked up the PYST XLR cables today.  Wow, the Gungnir is amazing running balanced... best sound I've heard yet!  This has to be the smoothest most detailed sound, I don't know how they did it but I like it.

The bass is so deep and extended, yet it's controlled so well.  The clarity is amazing, it's like someone took a layer of film off my whole music collection.  Another awesome thing is it makes my poorly recorded material sound amazing without any hint of harshness.  I can't seem to pull myself away from this setup it's so addictive!

post #1379 of 3947

The schiit stack gung/mjo are a really nice combo especially for the money spent. Pair them with a really good headphone and the result can be a re-awakening to the recorded music you have. We are fortunate to have access to good quality electronics that are also affordable (not everyone operates with a stax budget LOL). I know there is better out there but I darn sure know this is some good quality stuff too and at the end of the day do you love what you're hearing or not?

post #1380 of 3947
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenthumb View Post

Picked up the PYST XLR cables today.  Wow, the Gungnir is amazing running balanced... best sound I've heard yet!  This has to be the smoothest most detailed sound, I don't know how they did it but I like it.
The bass is so deep and extended, yet it's controlled so well.  The clarity is amazing, it's like someone took a layer of film off my whole music collection.  Another awesome thing is it makes my poorly recorded material sound amazing without any hint of harshness.  I can't seem to pull myself away from this setup it's so addictive!

I agree with what your hearing, I've had mine over a year now and grow more and more impressed with it. The only reason I would considering changing it is out curiosity of the statement dac but even then I don't see how they can extract much more detail.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit Gungnir DAC