I'm not coming at this trying to say that the Gungnir DAC is as good as it gets; however, I still feel that there is a great deal of reliance on memory that likely is mostly unsupported. For me, I like to think I have a very good ear for detail, but I don't think in blind testing I could really pick my Gungnir from my former 8200. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't think our memory for sound is that detailed and accurate. I have a great degree of respect for other peoples opinions, but without any kind of controls that blinds the listener to what they are listening to, we can't consider our impressions as anything but influenced impressions. I think I am taking this thread out of its intended purpose too much, and I am sorry for that. I guess I ran off on a tangent. My bad, thanks for having been respectful of my ramblings. That is why this is such a great community, the members here are always willing to engage in constructive conversation and not get their egos into things.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Ayre / NAD / Eximus comparison? Last post on 6/6/12 at 8:20pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Help! What's best Dedicated DAC with a seperate AMP/Pre fully balanced <$1,500? Last post on 6/21/12 at 5:06pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Best DACs with asynchronous 24/192 or higher USB and volume control? W4S DAC2? Up to $2000. Last post on 7/12/14 at 5:48am in Dedicated Source Components
- Schiit Owners Unite Last post on Today at 5:10 pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Burson Conductor vs Schiit Mjolnir + Gungnir Last post on 4/4/14 at 12:28am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
The sound of master 1s is trully great for its size, especially the lower end. As you can see the NOS arrived with deteriorated ear pad and it still sound good with lot of bass extension. Even...
Using TheHeadphoneList's Review Format Below Accessories - 3/5 You get a semi-hard case with a felt-like exterior that zips up and 3 different sized tips to help fit your ears....
Brainwavz HM9 is a portable / foldable, super comfortable headphone priced at $150 USD ($119 at the time of writting on Amazon) that surely grabs attention including mine, with it's stylish...
Ok guys, here's my take on the SennGrados... First of all, I would like to mention that these are not my personal cans, they are on loan to me as part of a tour that's spreading the word on...
I bought these after someone described them as his "desert island headphones" in the annual Head-Fi Gift Guide about 2 years ago. I was looking for something to wear at my desk in an open office...
Schiit Gungnir DAC - Page 87
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Hey all, looking for a little advice. I'm trying to decide between the Burson Conductor, and a pairing of the Burson Soloist with the Schiit Gungnir (not considering Mjolnir because I want SE output.) I want to drive a pair of T5ps, Mr. Speaker Mad Dogs, and eventually (hopefully) the LCD-3s. I like the sound of the Sololist with the Bifrost Uber, but I want to use that DAC elsewhere and trying to figure out what to replace it with. Thanks!
I can't speak to the Burson gear.
I had a Lyr / UberFrost combo. Then I built a 300B amp.
I upgraded from the UberFrost to a Gungnir.
This is vague..... I am very happy with the upgrade and from the Bifrost, not that it sounded bad.
My headphones are LCD2's
I almost did, but my plans didn't work out in the end. I may get get another chance in a couple of weeks time, but I cannot promise anythibg. If you get to try, please let me know how it goes. Thanks
would the Gungnir be better than my Nuforce UDH-100? I am so sick of the POS acting up on my computer that I want to sell it and am looking at the Gungnir. No one ever answers this question not even Schiit themselves will but I'll ask again. since the Gungnir has four RCA stereo outs, could it be set up in custom ASIO mapping to output discreet Quadraphonic FLAC files such as the BD DSOTM and WYWH Quad mixes and I have a Live at Pompeii in discreet 4 channels? If the Gungnir can do this than I am sold.
I don't know how many hours the Gungnir takes to burn-in, but I got a pleasant surprise out of listening a few weeks ago when it seemed like more details were presenting themselves (no change in gear through this process). I bought it back in September, but it's probably just now getting to 150–200 hours.
Just got my Gungnir w/ gen 2 USB and I'm getting some horrible thudding noise whenever it's connected to a USB port, via any of the USB2 cables I have, to any of my PCs. I recorded the sound through my LCD-X (and Mjolnir) with Audacity on my Macbook (held the laptop between the LCD-X cups)... you can hear it here.
I emailed Schiit, but as it's xmas eve I'm sure I won't be getting a reply anytime soon. Looks like I'm sending it back to Amazon... unless anyone has any ideas. I've tried different power cables, different wall outlets, different rooms, different computers, different USB cables. Only have Mjolnir and LCD-X to connect with it, so I can't change those... but the LCD-X works fine with my centrance dacport so I know it's not that.
- Schiit Gungnir DAC
- › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation +... 39 seconds ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 321 IEMs compared (NarMoo S1 added 09/04/14 p. 966) 48 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › [NEW] FiiO E11K Portable Amplifier Info/News Thread (Early... 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 2 minutes ago
- › DGS100 Appreciation thread. The game changing budget-fi two-way... 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 4 minutes ago
- › What is the special sauce behind the Chord Hugo? 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Pioneer MASTER-1s by kuantings
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 Series 2 by RubxQub
- › Brainwavz HM9 Hi-Fi Noise Isolating Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by wormsdriver
- › Beyerdynamic T5p by trevorburnham
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › HeadRoom Little With More Power Supply by Mshenay
- › beyerdynamic T50p by gotak
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by Tom22
- › Sennheiser HD 220 Originals Closed Back On-the-Ear Stereo Headphone... by palinetes
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)