I'm not coming at this trying to say that the Gungnir DAC is as good as it gets; however, I still feel that there is a great deal of reliance on memory that likely is mostly unsupported. For me, I like to think I have a very good ear for detail, but I don't think in blind testing I could really pick my Gungnir from my former 8200. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't think our memory for sound is that detailed and accurate. I have a great degree of respect for other peoples opinions, but without any kind of controls that blinds the listener to what they are listening to, we can't consider our impressions as anything but influenced impressions. I think I am taking this thread out of its intended purpose too much, and I am sorry for that. I guess I ran off on a tangent. My bad, thanks for having been respectful of my ramblings. That is why this is such a great community, the members here are always willing to engage in constructive conversation and not get their egos into things.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Ayre / NAD / Eximus comparison? Last post on 6/6/12 at 8:20pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Help! What's best Dedicated DAC with a seperate AMP/Pre fully balanced <$1,500? Last post on 6/21/12 at 5:06pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Best DACs with asynchronous 24/192 or higher USB and volume control? W4S DAC2? Up to $2000. Last post on 7/12/14 at 5:48am in Dedicated Source Components
- Schiit Owners Unite Last post on Today at 12:40 pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Which would you choose? Last post on 8/30/14 at 4:59am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
These headphones sound very precise and balanced. You will hear your music as it was recorded, mixed, and mastered which is the approach I prefer to trying to find headphones that try to EQ things...
Whereas I am also an old school hard-core vinyl aficionado, I (luckily) jumped the digital high-res train early enough to nowadays be equipped with the most necessary hard- and software to be able...
My comprehensive review of the Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones BURN-IN TIME - Took about 3-4 days to burn in so maybe 12 or so hours for me Upon receiving these as a gift for my birthday (so I...
Some Background: I’m currently 18 years old which as little as that matters to me seems to be interesting to many people in this community. I’ve always liked music and sound equipment but I...
Brace yourself... Pardon any grammatical errors please as this is one of my longer reviews. Some Background: I’m currently 18 years old which as little as that matters to me seems to be...
Schiit Gungnir DAC - Page 87
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Hey all, looking for a little advice. I'm trying to decide between the Burson Conductor, and a pairing of the Burson Soloist with the Schiit Gungnir (not considering Mjolnir because I want SE output.) I want to drive a pair of T5ps, Mr. Speaker Mad Dogs, and eventually (hopefully) the LCD-3s. I like the sound of the Sololist with the Bifrost Uber, but I want to use that DAC elsewhere and trying to figure out what to replace it with. Thanks!
I can't speak to the Burson gear.
I had a Lyr / UberFrost combo. Then I built a 300B amp.
I upgraded from the UberFrost to a Gungnir.
This is vague..... I am very happy with the upgrade and from the Bifrost, not that it sounded bad.
My headphones are LCD2's
I almost did, but my plans didn't work out in the end. I may get get another chance in a couple of weeks time, but I cannot promise anythibg. If you get to try, please let me know how it goes. Thanks
would the Gungnir be better than my Nuforce UDH-100? I am so sick of the POS acting up on my computer that I want to sell it and am looking at the Gungnir. No one ever answers this question not even Schiit themselves will but I'll ask again. since the Gungnir has four RCA stereo outs, could it be set up in custom ASIO mapping to output discreet Quadraphonic FLAC files such as the BD DSOTM and WYWH Quad mixes and I have a Live at Pompeii in discreet 4 channels? If the Gungnir can do this than I am sold.
I don't know how many hours the Gungnir takes to burn-in, but I got a pleasant surprise out of listening a few weeks ago when it seemed like more details were presenting themselves (no change in gear through this process). I bought it back in September, but it's probably just now getting to 150–200 hours.
Just got my Gungnir w/ gen 2 USB and I'm getting some horrible thudding noise whenever it's connected to a USB port, via any of the USB2 cables I have, to any of my PCs. I recorded the sound through my LCD-X (and Mjolnir) with Audacity on my Macbook (held the laptop between the LCD-X cups)... you can hear it here.
I emailed Schiit, but as it's xmas eve I'm sure I won't be getting a reply anytime soon. Looks like I'm sending it back to Amazon... unless anyone has any ideas. I've tried different power cables, different wall outlets, different rooms, different computers, different USB cables. Only have Mjolnir and LCD-X to connect with it, so I can't change those... but the LCD-X works fine with my centrance dacport so I know it's not that.
- Schiit Gungnir DAC
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › For 6AS7G tube rollers here ..... 36 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 2 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 2 minutes ago
- › Huge Bluetooth Comparison (Bose, Plantronics, Beats, Philips,... 3 minutes ago
- › JH Audio's continued collaboration with A&K: Introducing Layla & Angie 3 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread 3 minutes ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!! 4 minutes ago
- › Need suggestions for replacement cables for Triple fi10's 4 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › thinksound on1 Supra-Aural On-Ear Monitor Wooden Headphone by Pacal
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by musikaladin
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by Galvatron
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4 GB MP3 Player (Red) by Mitchell4500
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by Mitchell4500
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by dreamwhisper
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by ahunatu
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by Loquah
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by bkyoung
- › Superlux HD-631 by Sharingan
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)