I'm not coming at this trying to say that the Gungnir DAC is as good as it gets; however, I still feel that there is a great deal of reliance on memory that likely is mostly unsupported. For me, I like to think I have a very good ear for detail, but I don't think in blind testing I could really pick my Gungnir from my former 8200. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't think our memory for sound is that detailed and accurate. I have a great degree of respect for other peoples opinions, but without any kind of controls that blinds the listener to what they are listening to, we can't consider our impressions as anything but influenced impressions. I think I am taking this thread out of its intended purpose too much, and I am sorry for that. I guess I ran off on a tangent. My bad, thanks for having been respectful of my ramblings. That is why this is such a great community, the members here are always willing to engage in constructive conversation and not get their egos into things.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Ayre / NAD / Eximus comparison? Last post on 6/6/12 at 8:20pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Help! What's best Dedicated DAC with a seperate AMP/Pre fully balanced <$1,500? Last post on 6/21/12 at 5:06pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Best DACs with asynchronous 24/192 or higher USB and volume control? W4S DAC2? Up to $2000. Last post on 7/12/14 at 5:48am in Dedicated Source Components
- Schiit Owners Unite Last post on Today at 8:31 pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Which would you choose? Last post on 8/30/14 at 4:59am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
The Audeze LCD 2.2 is one of the most popular headphones on Head-Fi. Much has already been written about them, so adding yet another review may not offer anything new or different. However, when...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Sennheiser US for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. While waiting to receive my review unit of recently...
What's In The Box? The cardboard box itself is a cute little deal, with the Noble logo and the Wizard's signature. On the top left, the model and serial number are handwritten (apparently I'm the...
SUPERLUX HD 669 Review & comparison with HD 681-EVO. Take what I say with a grain of salt, I have not experienced many headphones and I've only had the 669 for a fairly brief amount of time....
Schiit Gungnir DAC - Page 87
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Hey all, looking for a little advice. I'm trying to decide between the Burson Conductor, and a pairing of the Burson Soloist with the Schiit Gungnir (not considering Mjolnir because I want SE output.) I want to drive a pair of T5ps, Mr. Speaker Mad Dogs, and eventually (hopefully) the LCD-3s. I like the sound of the Sololist with the Bifrost Uber, but I want to use that DAC elsewhere and trying to figure out what to replace it with. Thanks!
I can't speak to the Burson gear.
I had a Lyr / UberFrost combo. Then I built a 300B amp.
I upgraded from the UberFrost to a Gungnir.
This is vague..... I am very happy with the upgrade and from the Bifrost, not that it sounded bad.
My headphones are LCD2's
I almost did, but my plans didn't work out in the end. I may get get another chance in a couple of weeks time, but I cannot promise anythibg. If you get to try, please let me know how it goes. Thanks
would the Gungnir be better than my Nuforce UDH-100? I am so sick of the POS acting up on my computer that I want to sell it and am looking at the Gungnir. No one ever answers this question not even Schiit themselves will but I'll ask again. since the Gungnir has four RCA stereo outs, could it be set up in custom ASIO mapping to output discreet Quadraphonic FLAC files such as the BD DSOTM and WYWH Quad mixes and I have a Live at Pompeii in discreet 4 channels? If the Gungnir can do this than I am sold.
I don't know how many hours the Gungnir takes to burn-in, but I got a pleasant surprise out of listening a few weeks ago when it seemed like more details were presenting themselves (no change in gear through this process). I bought it back in September, but it's probably just now getting to 150–200 hours.
Just got my Gungnir w/ gen 2 USB and I'm getting some horrible thudding noise whenever it's connected to a USB port, via any of the USB2 cables I have, to any of my PCs. I recorded the sound through my LCD-X (and Mjolnir) with Audacity on my Macbook (held the laptop between the LCD-X cups)... you can hear it here.
I emailed Schiit, but as it's xmas eve I'm sure I won't be getting a reply anytime soon. Looks like I'm sending it back to Amazon... unless anyone has any ideas. I've tried different power cables, different wall outlets, different rooms, different computers, different USB cables. Only have Mjolnir and LCD-X to connect with it, so I can't change those... but the LCD-X works fine with my centrance dacport so I know it's not that.
- Schiit Gungnir DAC
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 16 seconds ago
- › A little about the Shozy Alien 30 seconds ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 1 minute ago
- › I need some help choosing a portable headphone 1 minute ago
- › DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . Lurker0 FW Mod... 4 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally!... 4 minutes ago
- › "best" for classical music He 500 or HE 560+Burson Soloist . 6 minutes ago
- › The Tera player thread ( DAC: NOS Philips R2R ) 7 minutes ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 7 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 9 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Heaven Viii by newzild
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by hodgjy
- › Shanling M3 Portable Digital Audio Player by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones in Black M2AEBT by twister6
- › Noble 4 by Kuroneko Guy
- › Superlux HD669 by Philliphobia
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by blankdisc
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by JohnPham
- › Chord&Major Major6'13 "Ballad" by kalbee
- › Audio Technica ATH-M2X Mid-size open-back headphones by ahnvx
- › GM releasing software that tattles on teen...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)