I'm not coming at this trying to say that the Gungnir DAC is as good as it gets; however, I still feel that there is a great deal of reliance on memory that likely is mostly unsupported. For me, I like to think I have a very good ear for detail, but I don't think in blind testing I could really pick my Gungnir from my former 8200. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't think our memory for sound is that detailed and accurate. I have a great degree of respect for other peoples opinions, but without any kind of controls that blinds the listener to what they are listening to, we can't consider our impressions as anything but influenced impressions. I think I am taking this thread out of its intended purpose too much, and I am sorry for that. I guess I ran off on a tangent. My bad, thanks for having been respectful of my ramblings. That is why this is such a great community, the members here are always willing to engage in constructive conversation and not get their egos into things.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Ayre / NAD / Eximus comparison? Last post on 6/6/12 at 8:20pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Help! What's best Dedicated DAC with a seperate AMP/Pre fully balanced <$1,500? Last post on 6/21/12 at 5:06pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Best DACs with asynchronous 24/192 or higher USB and volume control? W4S DAC2? Up to $2000. Last post on 7/12/14 at 5:48am in Dedicated Source Components
- Which would you choose? Last post on 8/30/14 at 4:59am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Purchasing LCD-X Amp DAC Suggestions. Last post on 5/31/14 at 11:18am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
I thought about getting DFs as a present after passing driver's exams. Read those very few reviews online, which were generally a mixed back of helpfulness. Then I took the bullet and said, yes why...
I have a pair of EarTech Music Quads that I felt were worthy of a better cable. In particular I was hoping an aftermarket, high end cable would bring some missing "air" and resolution, more...
Hi, I'm new to this head-fi community and this would be my first headphone review here at head-fi. Other headphones I've owned and listened to so far would be the Sennheiser hd239, px100, rha...
These headphones are made for listening to modern extreme genres of loud brickwalled poor-quality metal. They smoothen out spikiness and make drums sound so powerful and quick as if your head was...
Greetings, We all know it's coming, whether we like it or not. The wireless wave is upon us. Pretty much every major earphone manufacturer has a wireless option, and there are countless others...
Schiit Gungnir DAC - Page 87post #1291 of 422711/18/13 at 8:14pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1292 of 422712/1/13 at 11:32am
Hey all, looking for a little advice. I'm trying to decide between the Burson Conductor, and a pairing of the Burson Soloist with the Schiit Gungnir (not considering Mjolnir because I want SE output.) I want to drive a pair of T5ps, Mr. Speaker Mad Dogs, and eventually (hopefully) the LCD-3s. I like the sound of the Sololist with the Bifrost Uber, but I want to use that DAC elsewhere and trying to figure out what to replace it with. Thanks!post #1293 of 422712/1/13 at 11:41am
I can't speak to the Burson gear.
I had a Lyr / UberFrost combo. Then I built a 300B amp.
I upgraded from the UberFrost to a Gungnir.
This is vague..... I am very happy with the upgrade and from the Bifrost, not that it sounded bad.
My headphones are LCD2'spost #1294 of 422712/2/13 at 4:04pmpost #1295 of 422712/2/13 at 4:16pmpost #1296 of 422712/3/13 at 3:09pmpost #1297 of 422712/4/13 at 3:01pmQuote:
I almost did, but my plans didn't work out in the end. I may get get another chance in a couple of weeks time, but I cannot promise anythibg. If you get to try, please let me know how it goes. Thankspost #1298 of 422712/15/13 at 7:29am
would the Gungnir be better than my Nuforce UDH-100? I am so sick of the POS acting up on my computer that I want to sell it and am looking at the Gungnir. No one ever answers this question not even Schiit themselves will but I'll ask again. since the Gungnir has four RCA stereo outs, could it be set up in custom ASIO mapping to output discreet Quadraphonic FLAC files such as the BD DSOTM and WYWH Quad mixes and I have a Live at Pompeii in discreet 4 channels? If the Gungnir can do this than I am sold.post #1299 of 422712/15/13 at 9:34am
I don't know how many hours the Gungnir takes to burn-in, but I got a pleasant surprise out of listening a few weeks ago when it seemed like more details were presenting themselves (no change in gear through this process). I bought it back in September, but it's probably just now getting to 150–200 hours.post #1300 of 422712/19/13 at 2:25pmQuote:
No.post #1301 of 422712/24/13 at 6:56pm
Just got my Gungnir w/ gen 2 USB and I'm getting some horrible thudding noise whenever it's connected to a USB port, via any of the USB2 cables I have, to any of my PCs. I recorded the sound through my LCD-X (and Mjolnir) with Audacity on my Macbook (held the laptop between the LCD-X cups)... you can hear it here.
I emailed Schiit, but as it's xmas eve I'm sure I won't be getting a reply anytime soon. Looks like I'm sending it back to Amazon... unless anyone has any ideas. I've tried different power cables, different wall outlets, different rooms, different computers, different USB cables. Only have Mjolnir and LCD-X to connect with it, so I can't change those... but the LCD-X works fine with my centrance dacport so I know it's not that.post #1302 of 422712/24/13 at 7:02pmpost #1303 of 422712/24/13 at 7:12pmpost #1304 of 422712/25/13 at 3:55am
- Schiit Gungnir DAC
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view 11 seconds ago
- › Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV 16 seconds ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic... 32 seconds ago
- › The Stax Thread III 38 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - Introducing KAISER ENCORE and SAGE 57 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 2 minutes ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Obscure Chinese DAPs 3 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 3 minutes ago
- › K240 DF by asymcon
- › TWag V4 Litz ciem replacement cable by tex thai
- › Sennheiser PX 95 Versatile On-Ear Headphones by Varun Shankar
- › Panasonic RP-HT460E-K by PETEBULL
- › SoundPEATS Wireless Earbuds, True Wireless Stereo Bluetooth 4.2... by B9Scrambler
- › Soundmagic E10BT by msturg29
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by msturg29
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones by msturg29
- › Avantree Clari Air by msturg29
- › Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds Stereo Headphones, Ghostek Silencer... by msturg29
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear