Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit Gungnir DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Gungnir DAC - Page 85

post #1261 of 1534

Schiit knows what it takes to build a following, and to build quality devices. These guys and this company are the real deal.

post #1262 of 1534

Im looking for a new DAC to replace my Yulong D18 since i find it too warm paired with the Luxman P1-u.. I'm looking for a more detailed DAC and I wonder if the Gungnir would be what im looking for..I might also consider an Anedio (either 1 or the 2).

post #1263 of 1534

The Gungnir is quite detailed, but not at all sterile or lifeless. Everyday I use it I am extremely impressed by how musical it sounds while still getting right under the musics hood.

post #1264 of 1534

Hi guys, i'm looking to unshackle myself from my desktop computer's sound card (Asus Xonar d2x) and upgrade my amp/cans. My eventual goal is a Gungnir/Mjolnir with a set of Beyerdynamic T1/Audeze LCD-2/Sennheiser HD800 depending on which I end up liking the most.

 

I read in the Yggdrasil/Ragnarok thread (which are regrettably out of my price range :() some comments that suggested Schiit 'voice' their gear using Audeze cans. I presume this means they do their testing/tuning etc. with Audeze equipment. Will this make a difference to my headphone selection? It doesn't seem like it would but as I haven't managed to Google up any info I thought I would ask.

 

Thanks :)

post #1265 of 1534

Don't even try to Pickup Solude's Schiit stack F/S. Call it a day.

 

 

I wouldn't worry too much as Schiit uses a handful of different headphones throughout their process.

The Mjolnir does pretty well with all of those aforementioned headphones.

 

Consensus says: The Audez'es are Mjolnir's little bitch.


Edited by paradoxper - 10/13/13 at 4:06pm
post #1266 of 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboardpig View Post

Hi guys, i'm looking to unshackle myself from my desktop computer's sound card (Asus Xonar d2x) and upgrade my amp/cans. My eventual goal is a Gungnir/Mjolnir with a set of Beyerdynamic T1/Audeze LCD-2/Sennheiser HD800 depending on which I end up liking the most.

I read in the Yggdrasil/Ragnarok thread (which are regrettably out of my price range frown.gif) some comments that suggested Schiit 'voice' their gear using Audeze cans. I presume this means they do their testing/tuning etc. with Audeze equipment. Will this make a difference to my headphone selection? It doesn't seem like it would but as I haven't managed to Google up any info I thought I would ask.

Thanks smily_headphones1.gif

The signal chain feeding your headphones can make a big difference in the sound quality. I think you're better off choosing the headphone first and doing some research to find the best dac/amp pairings based on your preference in sound. The Mjolnir/Gungnir is great with the LCD-2's and brightens their warm signature. The HD800 sounds too bright for me with the same combination, but if you prefer a brighter sound, it might work for you.
post #1267 of 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post
 

Pickup Solude's Schiit stack F/S. Call it a day.

 

Consensus says: The Audez'es are Mjolnir's little bitch.

 

Stack didn't last long... gone west.

 

And yes the stack and Audeze get along nicely.

post #1268 of 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post
 

I wouldn't worry too much as Schiit uses a handful of different headphones throughout their process.

The Mjolnir does pretty well with all of those aforementioned headphones.

 

Consensus says: The Audez'es are Mjolnir's little bitch.

 

Cool. Thanks for the reassurance :).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry S View Post


The signal chain feeding your headphones can make a big difference in the sound quality. I think you're better off choosing the headphone first and doing some research to find the best dac/amp pairings based on your preference in sound. The Mjolnir/Gungnir is great with the LCD-2's and brightens their warm signature. The HD800 sounds too bright for me with the same combination, but if you prefer a brighter sound, it might work for you.

 

Good advice and If I were a patient person or had sufficient money to buy everything in quick succession I'd probably do this! Unfortunately I can't really listen to music much at the moment as my wife complains about being able to hear my music when using her computer so I'm keen to get away from my desktop.

post #1269 of 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboardpig View Post
 

 

Cool. Thanks for the reassurance :).

 

 

Good advice and If I were a patient person or had sufficient money to buy everything in quick succession I'd probably do this! Unfortunately I can't really listen to music much at the moment as my wife complains about being able to hear my music when using her computer so I'm keen to get away from my desktop.

First order of business is picking up a Mad Dog. They'll sound pretty good out of whatever built-in amp you'd be using.

And will only scale with better gear. This will offer the isolation it seems you need.


Edited by paradoxper - 10/13/13 at 6:37pm
post #1270 of 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post
 

 

Stack didn't last long... gone west.

 

And yes the stack and Audeze get along nicely.

 

How did you like the Mjolnir/Gungnir in comparison to Soloist/Conductor with LCD-3?

post #1271 of 1534

Never had the Conductor, only Soloist.  Soloist is more towards the GS-X mk2 side of laid back vs forward.  Which is to say laid back.  That said for the money the Schiit stack meshes really well.  Gungnir to Soloist might be too dark for some though.

post #1272 of 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post
 

First order of business is picking up a Mad Dog. They'll sound pretty good out of whatever built-in amp you'd be using.

And will only scale with better gear. This will offer the isolation it seems you need.

At the moment I have Xonar d2x > Einar vc-01 i > DT990. I quite like the sound of the DT990's I just need to get them away from our PC area so I can raise the volume a bit.

post #1273 of 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post
 

Never had the Conductor, only Soloist.  Soloist is more towards the GS-X mk2 side of laid back vs forward.  Which is to say laid back.  That said for the money the Schiit stack meshes really well.  Gungnir to Soloist might be too dark for some though.

 

How would you describe the bass response between those three? Which one had the most quantity/presence?

post #1274 of 1534

GS-X mk2 has bottomless bass.

post #1275 of 1534

I would certainly hope so at it's price point. What about the bass between the Mjolnir and Soloist? I keep hearing that Mjolnir is faster and aggressive and the Soloist is more relaxed and slower, but I've heard mix things about it's bass. Which one has more of a body.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit Gungnir DAC