Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit Gungnir DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Gungnir DAC - Page 68

post #1006 of 1560
Quote:
Originally Posted by BokononVolta View Post

SACD player connected digitally to the Gungnir (or any DAC) will output silence when you try to play the SACD layer.  If you play a regular CD on that, it will output through the digital port

 

 

This is an interesting solution for those who have capable players: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2

 

My Oppo 980H also silences the digital outputs with you try to play the SACD layer, but it will play the SACD through the HDMI output. This device converts that audio HDMI output to PCM which you can then put into your DAC. I'm sure there may be some stuff lost in translation, it's not ideal, but for that price it's a nifty solution. I haven't personally done it myself yet, but I do know that it works with my Oppo.

post #1007 of 1560

Just to throw it out there, comapring the Violectric V800 and the gungnir, the V800 has better separation and detail extraction but the gungnir has a more (but just slightly) prominent, exciting bass region.

post #1008 of 1560
Quote:
Originally Posted by justie View Post

Just to throw it out there, comapring the Violectric V800 and the gungnir, the V800 has better separation and detail extraction but the gungnir has a more (but just slightly) prominent, exciting bass region.

I once knew a girl like that...
post #1009 of 1560

I just posted about my Mjolnir upgrade over here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/603218/schiit-mjolnir-headphone-amplifier/2610#post_9309257

 

The day after my Mjolnir arrived, I received my Gungnir.  I previously was using the Mjolnir (unbalanced) with the Bifrost.  I immediately found the differences apparent in this upgrade to a balanced and upgraded DAC.  The most striking for me was the airiness and atmosphere present in the mid-highs.  Less graininess all through the range as well.  Bass was a bit tighter and more controlled.  I will be going about my work and be hit with a song I have heard 100s of time, but sounding like new. It sounds cheezy, but this DAC upgrade was definitely more noticeable for me than the Amp upgrade.  It really sweetens everything you listen to, but it doesn't thin anything out - it provides the richness and the meat.  A balanced meal!

 

I am letting the DAC break in with continuous play all weekend and I am anxious to hear how it sounds when I return to work on Monday :)

post #1010 of 1560

Can anyone give me impressions/advice/input on pairing the gungnir/lyr with a pair of HD800s? Will it sound really good? And I do not wanna know if there are tons of things that would sound better with hd800...I already have lyr and gungnir. I would much rather spend my money on a new pair of cans than replace the amp/dac (which I like very much btw) to match the hd800s.

 

Right now I have akg q701s as my cans. Just wanna know if the hd800s pair well with the amp/dac that I have and if it will be a large improvement over the cans i currently have.

post #1011 of 1560
Enjoying my Gungnir tremendously from my mbp.
I'm just toying with the idea of getting a mjolnir - which brings me to the question for the colllective:

Will the gungnir work if i connect both the unblanced (to my original amp) and the balanced output (to the mjolnir) *at the same time*? If i switch both on, would that kill the gungnir or have strange consequnces?

Thanks

C
post #1012 of 1560
Quote:
Originally Posted by x838nwy View Post

Enjoying my Gungnir tremendously from my mbp.
I'm just toying with the idea of getting a mjolnir - which brings me to the question for the colllective:

Will the gungnir work if i connect both the unblanced (to my original amp) and the balanced output (to the mjolnir) *at the same time*? If i switch both on, would that kill the gungnir or have strange consequnces?

Thanks

C

 

Yes, it will work, no it will not kill the dac.

post #1013 of 1560

In an effort to save space I'm trying to figure what components can be stacked without danger to sound quality and also without danger to each other (overheating).

 

Would it likely be fine to stack my Gungnir on top of a Sony cpd-m555es (one of those early 00's 400 disc jukeboxes)?  If yes what about a Woo Audio WA2 on top of the Gungnir?

 

It might just be that my search-fu is weak today but I wasn't able to find the answer to this elsewhere on the site.  Lots of pics showing other members setups makes me think its probably ok though.

post #1014 of 1560
Gungnir on Sony is fine. WA2 on Gungnir is probably OK, but I've never felt the temperature of a WA2 so you'd have to answer that one. If it's warm by itself you may need some spacer blocks for some underneath airflow.
post #1015 of 1560
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileallways View Post

Hi DAC gurus,

   Does anybody have experience with Mobile Fidelity V-Link II vs Yulong U18 using with Gungnir? I am interested in hearing  opinions about this.

 

I had the Yulong U18 - I returned it and got my money back..eek.gif

 

 

Hi,

    What USB to SPDF converter are you using now?

 

 

post #1016 of 1560

Please forgive the "noobie" question.....after reading thru this tread I'm wondering:

 

Should I purchase a SACD or just a CDP if I am planning on upgrading my DAC to a Grace 903? It seams I would not be able to play a SACD thru the DAC to headphones...is that correct?

 

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will reply and advise.

post #1017 of 1560
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrteal View Post

Please forgive the "noobie" question.....after reading thru this tread I'm wondering:

 

Should I purchase a SACD or just a CDP if I am planning on upgrading my DAC to a Grace 903? It seams I would not be able to play a SACD thru the DAC to headphones...is that correct?

 

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will reply and advise.

Ok I'll try and keep this some what relevant to the thread

 

like the gungnir the grace will not process the sacd signal, however you could use a cdp digital out to your dac of choice to allow ced dac to process the digital info.

 

unlike gungnir you can run se/balanced analog out of a sacd player into the grace and use the unit as a headphone amp

post #1018 of 1560

Search on PS3 - as in the Sony game console.  It's possible to "backup" your SACD to an .iso file and then play the .iso through your DAC.  The main dependency for this (beside the PS3 hackery) is the software on your computer (mac, pclinux, whatever) being able to decode the "Orange Book" structure of the .iso then convert the DSD file to PCM.  At one time the Oppo BDP-95 was able to do this until the studios whinged enough, so Oppo blocked it in the firmware.

 

Good luck!

post #1019 of 1560
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydoseofdaly View Post

Ok I'll try and keep this some what relevant to the thread

 

like the gungnir the grace will not process the sacd signal, however you could use a cdp digital out to your dac of choice to allow ced dac to process the digital info.

 

unlike gungnir you can run se/balanced analog out of a sacd player into the grace and use the unit as a headphone amp

Forgive me if I'm off topic (maybe I should start a new thread)...but am an "old school" CD guy....spend about 70% of my time listening to my large CD collection.......as I was considering an upgrade  to both my CDP and DAC/Headphone amp....is there any benefit to a SACD-type player? Or just put more dollars to a better DAC(like the Gungnir, etc) and just get a CDP....?

post #1020 of 1560

Yeah you might want to make a new thread, I'll pm you here in an hour or so when I get off work about your ?s

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Schiit Gungnir DAC