I'll throw up the other comparisons when the kids are sleeping. Back soon.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- I'm Trying To Decide On Best Setup For My Budget(4k) And Taste. Which would you buy? Last post on 8/23/14 at 5:17pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot? Last post on 8/11/14 at 1:08pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Need Help Choosing Headphones/Amp/DAC/Cables Last post on 7/11/12 at 2:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apex Peak/Volcano vs. Zana Deux Last post on 6/25/12 at 1:54am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I didn't have much expectations when i ordered this headphone from GearBest back in january 2016..it took around 3 weeks to arrive and the packaging was simple. The moment i unpacked the box i got...
Note: I bought the Trinity Phantom Sabre in the pre-order period for ~75€. The Value rating is based on the full retail price of around 150€. Manufacturer website:...
Bluedio Vinyl Plus Bluetooth Headphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to Bluedio for the sample. Full review...
Like HD471i but closed and produce better resonance, better volume, clarity on treble, but none of these descriptions actually help make it sound good..to be honest. And to be honest, t40rp mk2...
Firstly I would like to thank 1More for sending me this sample to review, I always try to write honest reviews, these received over 50hrs of burn-in before review, no differences were...
Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier - Page 66post #976 of 35248/27/12 at 3:25pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #977 of 35248/27/12 at 3:42pmpost #978 of 35248/27/12 at 4:06pm
No :p Up next... Guild Wars 2 :D And getting my Dynaudio situation handled. Without saying too much, American Musical Supply is terrible and never again will I go down that road.post #979 of 35248/27/12 at 4:23pm
Comparisons incoming versus the Mjolnir...
Soloist: Slightly less detail retrieval, more mid focused, tons less dynamic, slightly better separation and staging, somewhat lifeless
B22: Bottom tilted, tons more rounded, better separation but lower resolution and clarity, imparts itself on the music, less dynamic, better staging
Trafomatic: Probably the most Mjolnir of the bunch, similar tonal balance, slightly less detail, greater staging, similar separation
GS-1: Similar to the Soloist.
WA22: Similar to the B22 with a more 3 blob stage
Which if we do the math makes the Mjolnir a great value for that style of character.post #980 of 35248/27/12 at 6:48pmSo, it sounds like the HD650 might be a good match for the Mjolnir. Would others agree?
Does the Mjolnir have any turn on/off thump?
Does the topology of the Mjolnir allow it to be run without having a load from the headphones (for power cycles)?
@Sol, how does the Mjolnir compare to the Trafomatic?post #981 of 35248/27/12 at 7:27pm
You mean me?Quote:
Thank you for the insightful A/B.post #982 of 35248/27/12 at 9:58pm
I'd say the thump is inconsistent and barely audible. I think I noticed it more with the T1 than my HE-6.post #983 of 35248/28/12 at 3:51am
Look up :p I didn't listen for or notice any thumping. The power supply is the nice overbuilt type that continues to power the amp after power off for a good 10-20 seconds.post #984 of 35248/28/12 at 4:27amWell, I'll be.... I looked at that post for a good five minutes and didn't even see that! Thanks!post #985 of 35248/28/12 at 10:00amQuote:Originally Posted by WilCox
All 4-pin XLR connectors that I have seen have numbers on the pins. Schiit follows the standard convention as follows:
Pin 1 = Left +
Pin 2 = Left -
Pin 3 = Right +
Pin 4 = Right -
Note if you are rewiring a typical 1/4" plug (TRS) and assuming there are four wires in the cable (Sennheiser, Audeze, etc.), the two wires that are attached to the sleeve are the "-".
Thanks Wilcox! Really appreciate the confirmation.
I re wired my Audeze cables to a mini XLR 4-pin female so will be looking to build a normal 4-pin from the Mjolnir to a mini 4-pin male as an adapter.
Are you planning to build your own interconnects for a balanced connection between your DAC and the Mjolnir too?
Thanks again!post #986 of 35248/28/12 at 10:29amQuote:
Nope, I've reterminated my HD 800, LCD-2, HD 650, SRH-1840 with 4-pin XLRs, but I'm using Blue Jeans Cable XLRs between my DAC and amp. It's easy to make the balanced interconnects, but when it comes right down to it, I'm lazy I guess.post #987 of 35248/28/12 at 4:20pmQuote:
Yeah. Nothing beats having someone make them for you.
Edited by Blurpapa - 8/28/12 at 4:22pmpost #988 of 35248/29/12 at 1:52pmQuote:Originally Posted by Solude
And the official A/B is complete. Here we go...
The short of it is the Peak is staying and the Mjolnir is up for sale to the next lucky Canuck.
The long of it is a little more involved. As with all my reviews this is in comparison, not global. The Mjolnir is a detail and dynamics monster. No question it will show you things that went unnoticed, clarify others and just flat out give you jaw dropping detail retrieval. In the global sense of the word, its likely neutral as well. But where it falls apart is in separation and staging. The Peak is more natural, if a touch bottom tilted but what it does well is detail, though not at Mjolnir levels, and separation. Things just never blend or become a wall with the Peak. The Mjolnir despite great detail, tended to blend the bass lines into the mid mix. Staging was mostly left to right, with comparatively more 3 blob staging than the Peak.
So in the end it becomes a trade off. The Peak is more natural sounding, trading some detail and clarity for better separation and staging. The Mjolnir has more detail retrieval and likely more neutral as well but can feel top tilted and fatiguing if, like me, you are sensitive to that.
Bring on the statement amp so I can drop my favourite tube in to tilt it back in my favour and have the best of both :D
Thank you for saving me from the brink... at least for the moment. Despite the fact that I couldn't tell the difference between my old Adcom preamp's HP jack and the Burson HA-160, I was drifting toward the edge of the ledge and was about to jump into a $750 pile of Schitt. Now I'll at least think about it for a while, because I have found that my overall taste in equipment is very similar to yours (after comparing lots of HPs head to head, I ended up with the LDC-3s, as you might recall), plus my Emotiva DAC is already somewhat top tilted, and I too am sensitive to high frequencies.
Of course, in the end, the siren song of a really nice (if not perfect) balanced amp for $750 might still cause me to take the leap, but first I think I'd rather put the next bucks into some backup cans, such as HD650s or T1s (or both, in the long run). By then maybe the statement amp will be out, or some other fine piece of hardware will entice me, or I'll just try a Mjolnir... I mean, the landing will only hurt a little, and just for a short time...post #989 of 35248/29/12 at 3:32pmFor what it is worth....every time that I get excited and buy some back up cans....I always end up ignoring them too much and the eventually sell them for lack of use. I just can't bring myself to keep a second tier rig. Once I know that it can sound better then it stops getting head time. The only exception to this rule so far has been my portable rig.post #990 of 35248/29/12 at 6:15pmQuote:
You'll be what?
Just wondering, that's all.
- Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Earbuds Round-Up 43 seconds ago
- › Bug head emperor player - audiophile player from Japan 44 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 59 seconds ago
- › Sony MDR-F1 "A collectors item" 1 minute ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 3 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 3 minutes ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 4 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 5 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 5 minutes ago
- › Xiaomi Piston Colorful Starter Edition by aNtzE
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - PHANTOM SABRE by FUYU
- › Bluedio Vinyl Plus Luxury Wireless Bluetooth Headphones(Black) by mark2410
- › German Maestro GMP 8.40 D Professional by mien
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by ostewart
- › Philips Fidelio S2 by Jemuillot
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by ryanjsoo
- › Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plus by hankaberle
- › Accutone Pavo by Cinder
- › Little Dot MK III by Beztis
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...