I'll throw up the other comparisons when the kids are sleeping. Back soon.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- I'm Trying To Decide On Best Setup For My Budget(4k) And Taste. Which would you buy? Last post on 8/23/14 at 5:17pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot? Last post on 8/11/14 at 1:08pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Need Help Choosing Headphones/Amp/DAC/Cables Last post on 7/11/12 at 2:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apex Peak/Volcano vs. Zana Deux Last post on 6/25/12 at 1:54am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/5/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/6/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
*This is a slightly revised and updated version of my original review from September of 2014. The Bass Colour was a good earphone two years ago and at it's current price of 29.99 USD on Penon Audio...
I bought these over a year ago as an upgrade to the generation 3 of the Piston earphones. I've been a user since generation 2 and I've loved the line up ever since. This simply feels like another...
I took the scenic route to loving these headphones and almost sold it a couple of times. I picked these up for free thanks to a promotion my carrier Freedom mobile was doing where if you buy the LG...
About Me: I came into the world of audio from a guitar background, buying up tube amps from when I was a kid and was always fascinated with them. Then I ended up buying my first decent pair...
Disclaimer: This unit was provided to me by Brannan of Noble Audio to provide the guy’s participating in the massdrop, or those on the fence, with a better idea of what to expect. This is cutting...
Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier - Page 66post #976 of 35268/27/12 at 3:25pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #977 of 35268/27/12 at 3:42pmpost #978 of 35268/27/12 at 4:06pm
No :p Up next... Guild Wars 2 :D And getting my Dynaudio situation handled. Without saying too much, American Musical Supply is terrible and never again will I go down that road.post #979 of 35268/27/12 at 4:23pm
Comparisons incoming versus the Mjolnir...
Soloist: Slightly less detail retrieval, more mid focused, tons less dynamic, slightly better separation and staging, somewhat lifeless
B22: Bottom tilted, tons more rounded, better separation but lower resolution and clarity, imparts itself on the music, less dynamic, better staging
Trafomatic: Probably the most Mjolnir of the bunch, similar tonal balance, slightly less detail, greater staging, similar separation
GS-1: Similar to the Soloist.
WA22: Similar to the B22 with a more 3 blob stage
Which if we do the math makes the Mjolnir a great value for that style of character.post #980 of 35268/27/12 at 6:48pmSo, it sounds like the HD650 might be a good match for the Mjolnir. Would others agree?
Does the Mjolnir have any turn on/off thump?
Does the topology of the Mjolnir allow it to be run without having a load from the headphones (for power cycles)?
@Sol, how does the Mjolnir compare to the Trafomatic?post #981 of 35268/27/12 at 7:27pm
You mean me?Quote:
Thank you for the insightful A/B.post #982 of 35268/27/12 at 9:58pm
I'd say the thump is inconsistent and barely audible. I think I noticed it more with the T1 than my HE-6.post #983 of 35268/28/12 at 3:51am
Look up :p I didn't listen for or notice any thumping. The power supply is the nice overbuilt type that continues to power the amp after power off for a good 10-20 seconds.post #984 of 35268/28/12 at 4:27amWell, I'll be.... I looked at that post for a good five minutes and didn't even see that! Thanks!post #985 of 35268/28/12 at 10:00amQuote:Originally Posted by WilCox
All 4-pin XLR connectors that I have seen have numbers on the pins. Schiit follows the standard convention as follows:
Pin 1 = Left +
Pin 2 = Left -
Pin 3 = Right +
Pin 4 = Right -
Note if you are rewiring a typical 1/4" plug (TRS) and assuming there are four wires in the cable (Sennheiser, Audeze, etc.), the two wires that are attached to the sleeve are the "-".
Thanks Wilcox! Really appreciate the confirmation.
I re wired my Audeze cables to a mini XLR 4-pin female so will be looking to build a normal 4-pin from the Mjolnir to a mini 4-pin male as an adapter.
Are you planning to build your own interconnects for a balanced connection between your DAC and the Mjolnir too?
Thanks again!post #986 of 35268/28/12 at 10:29amQuote:
Nope, I've reterminated my HD 800, LCD-2, HD 650, SRH-1840 with 4-pin XLRs, but I'm using Blue Jeans Cable XLRs between my DAC and amp. It's easy to make the balanced interconnects, but when it comes right down to it, I'm lazy I guess.post #987 of 35268/28/12 at 4:20pmQuote:
Yeah. Nothing beats having someone make them for you.
Edited by Blurpapa - 8/28/12 at 4:22pmpost #988 of 35268/29/12 at 1:52pmQuote:Originally Posted by Solude
And the official A/B is complete. Here we go...
The short of it is the Peak is staying and the Mjolnir is up for sale to the next lucky Canuck.
The long of it is a little more involved. As with all my reviews this is in comparison, not global. The Mjolnir is a detail and dynamics monster. No question it will show you things that went unnoticed, clarify others and just flat out give you jaw dropping detail retrieval. In the global sense of the word, its likely neutral as well. But where it falls apart is in separation and staging. The Peak is more natural, if a touch bottom tilted but what it does well is detail, though not at Mjolnir levels, and separation. Things just never blend or become a wall with the Peak. The Mjolnir despite great detail, tended to blend the bass lines into the mid mix. Staging was mostly left to right, with comparatively more 3 blob staging than the Peak.
So in the end it becomes a trade off. The Peak is more natural sounding, trading some detail and clarity for better separation and staging. The Mjolnir has more detail retrieval and likely more neutral as well but can feel top tilted and fatiguing if, like me, you are sensitive to that.
Bring on the statement amp so I can drop my favourite tube in to tilt it back in my favour and have the best of both :D
Thank you for saving me from the brink... at least for the moment. Despite the fact that I couldn't tell the difference between my old Adcom preamp's HP jack and the Burson HA-160, I was drifting toward the edge of the ledge and was about to jump into a $750 pile of Schitt. Now I'll at least think about it for a while, because I have found that my overall taste in equipment is very similar to yours (after comparing lots of HPs head to head, I ended up with the LDC-3s, as you might recall), plus my Emotiva DAC is already somewhat top tilted, and I too am sensitive to high frequencies.
Of course, in the end, the siren song of a really nice (if not perfect) balanced amp for $750 might still cause me to take the leap, but first I think I'd rather put the next bucks into some backup cans, such as HD650s or T1s (or both, in the long run). By then maybe the statement amp will be out, or some other fine piece of hardware will entice me, or I'll just try a Mjolnir... I mean, the landing will only hurt a little, and just for a short time...post #989 of 35268/29/12 at 3:32pmFor what it is worth....every time that I get excited and buy some back up cans....I always end up ignoring them too much and the eventually sell them for lack of use. I just can't bring myself to keep a second tier rig. Once I know that it can sound better then it stops getting head time. The only exception to this rule so far has been my portable rig.post #990 of 35268/29/12 at 6:15pmQuote:
You'll be what?
Just wondering, that's all.
- Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Upcoming DAP from xDuoo - the X10! 23 seconds ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 47 seconds ago
- › NOBLE Savant Thread (Impressions, Reviews, Tours) 1 minute ago
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - What the future holds 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Audioquest Dragonfly RED - LIKE NEW with all the goodies 3 minutes ago
- › iPhone 7/7+ Compact External DAC/Amp Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW,... 5 minutes ago
- › Fiio X3ii vs X5? 6 minutes ago
- › Don Scorpio Bass Colour by B9Scrambler
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Earphone In-Ear Headphones Multi-unit Circle Iron... by junhawng
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by Trevayne10
- › NiNTAUS X10 HiFi Lossless Music Player by crabdog
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear