I'll throw up the other comparisons when the kids are sleeping. Back soon.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- I'm Trying To Decide On Best Setup For My Budget(4k) And Taste. Which would you buy? Last post on 8/23/14 at 5:17pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot? Last post on 8/11/14 at 1:08pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Need Help Choosing Headphones/Amp/DAC/Cables Last post on 7/11/12 at 2:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apex Peak/Volcano vs. Zana Deux Last post on 6/25/12 at 1:54am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
DOI: I don't get to listen to new gear a lot so I may not be any use at answering questions about comparisons to anything other than my own stuff (which may or may not be considered esoteric). I...
Just on sound quality, meh. It's very quiet, and detailed, but on my main headphones, AKG K712, the mid-treble balance is just too bright. The bass is nice and deep and honest, and midrange is OK,...
Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier - Page 66post #976 of 35238/27/12 at 3:25pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #977 of 35238/27/12 at 3:42pmpost #978 of 35238/27/12 at 4:06pm
No :p Up next... Guild Wars 2 :D And getting my Dynaudio situation handled. Without saying too much, American Musical Supply is terrible and never again will I go down that road.post #979 of 35238/27/12 at 4:23pm
Comparisons incoming versus the Mjolnir...
Soloist: Slightly less detail retrieval, more mid focused, tons less dynamic, slightly better separation and staging, somewhat lifeless
B22: Bottom tilted, tons more rounded, better separation but lower resolution and clarity, imparts itself on the music, less dynamic, better staging
Trafomatic: Probably the most Mjolnir of the bunch, similar tonal balance, slightly less detail, greater staging, similar separation
GS-1: Similar to the Soloist.
WA22: Similar to the B22 with a more 3 blob stage
Which if we do the math makes the Mjolnir a great value for that style of character.post #980 of 35238/27/12 at 6:48pmSo, it sounds like the HD650 might be a good match for the Mjolnir. Would others agree?
Does the Mjolnir have any turn on/off thump?
Does the topology of the Mjolnir allow it to be run without having a load from the headphones (for power cycles)?
@Sol, how does the Mjolnir compare to the Trafomatic?post #981 of 35238/27/12 at 7:27pm
You mean me?Quote:
Thank you for the insightful A/B.post #982 of 35238/27/12 at 9:58pm
I'd say the thump is inconsistent and barely audible. I think I noticed it more with the T1 than my HE-6.post #983 of 35238/28/12 at 3:51am
Look up :p I didn't listen for or notice any thumping. The power supply is the nice overbuilt type that continues to power the amp after power off for a good 10-20 seconds.post #984 of 35238/28/12 at 4:27amWell, I'll be.... I looked at that post for a good five minutes and didn't even see that! Thanks!post #985 of 35238/28/12 at 10:00amQuote:Originally Posted by WilCox
All 4-pin XLR connectors that I have seen have numbers on the pins. Schiit follows the standard convention as follows:
Pin 1 = Left +
Pin 2 = Left -
Pin 3 = Right +
Pin 4 = Right -
Note if you are rewiring a typical 1/4" plug (TRS) and assuming there are four wires in the cable (Sennheiser, Audeze, etc.), the two wires that are attached to the sleeve are the "-".
Thanks Wilcox! Really appreciate the confirmation.
I re wired my Audeze cables to a mini XLR 4-pin female so will be looking to build a normal 4-pin from the Mjolnir to a mini 4-pin male as an adapter.
Are you planning to build your own interconnects for a balanced connection between your DAC and the Mjolnir too?
Thanks again!post #986 of 35238/28/12 at 10:29amQuote:
Nope, I've reterminated my HD 800, LCD-2, HD 650, SRH-1840 with 4-pin XLRs, but I'm using Blue Jeans Cable XLRs between my DAC and amp. It's easy to make the balanced interconnects, but when it comes right down to it, I'm lazy I guess.post #987 of 35238/28/12 at 4:20pmQuote:
Yeah. Nothing beats having someone make them for you.
Edited by Blurpapa - 8/28/12 at 4:22pmpost #988 of 35238/29/12 at 1:52pmQuote:Originally Posted by Solude
And the official A/B is complete. Here we go...
The short of it is the Peak is staying and the Mjolnir is up for sale to the next lucky Canuck.
The long of it is a little more involved. As with all my reviews this is in comparison, not global. The Mjolnir is a detail and dynamics monster. No question it will show you things that went unnoticed, clarify others and just flat out give you jaw dropping detail retrieval. In the global sense of the word, its likely neutral as well. But where it falls apart is in separation and staging. The Peak is more natural, if a touch bottom tilted but what it does well is detail, though not at Mjolnir levels, and separation. Things just never blend or become a wall with the Peak. The Mjolnir despite great detail, tended to blend the bass lines into the mid mix. Staging was mostly left to right, with comparatively more 3 blob staging than the Peak.
So in the end it becomes a trade off. The Peak is more natural sounding, trading some detail and clarity for better separation and staging. The Mjolnir has more detail retrieval and likely more neutral as well but can feel top tilted and fatiguing if, like me, you are sensitive to that.
Bring on the statement amp so I can drop my favourite tube in to tilt it back in my favour and have the best of both :D
Thank you for saving me from the brink... at least for the moment. Despite the fact that I couldn't tell the difference between my old Adcom preamp's HP jack and the Burson HA-160, I was drifting toward the edge of the ledge and was about to jump into a $750 pile of Schitt. Now I'll at least think about it for a while, because I have found that my overall taste in equipment is very similar to yours (after comparing lots of HPs head to head, I ended up with the LDC-3s, as you might recall), plus my Emotiva DAC is already somewhat top tilted, and I too am sensitive to high frequencies.
Of course, in the end, the siren song of a really nice (if not perfect) balanced amp for $750 might still cause me to take the leap, but first I think I'd rather put the next bucks into some backup cans, such as HD650s or T1s (or both, in the long run). By then maybe the statement amp will be out, or some other fine piece of hardware will entice me, or I'll just try a Mjolnir... I mean, the landing will only hurt a little, and just for a short time...post #989 of 35238/29/12 at 3:32pmFor what it is worth....every time that I get excited and buy some back up cans....I always end up ignoring them too much and the eventually sell them for lack of use. I just can't bring myself to keep a second tier rig. Once I know that it can sound better then it stops getting head time. The only exception to this rule so far has been my portable rig.post #990 of 35238/29/12 at 6:15pmQuote:
You'll be what?
Just wondering, that's all.
- Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW ... 8 seconds ago
- › For 6AS7G tube rollers here ..... 44 seconds ago
- › Alpha & Delta D2 Impressions 55 seconds ago
- › On a mission to like jazz 1 minute ago
- › Are the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 earcups large enough? 1 minute ago
- › Onkyo E900M 1 minute ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android + Amp Module... 2 minutes ago
- › Albuquerque April 2016 meet impressions 3 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by k4rstar
- › Campfire Audio Orion by emptymt
- › 64 Audio (1964 Ears) ADEL U6 by Brooko
- › Sennheiser IE 8 In-Ear Headphones by Docjitters
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by eriksq
- › MusicMaker TK13 by Paulpark222
- › Philips SHP9500 by Mosauwer
- › MEE Audio RX18 Comfort-Fit In-Ear Headphones with Enhanced Bass... by peter123
- › Schiit Magni 2 by Aornic
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Dobrescu George
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse