Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- I'm Trying To Decide On Best Setup For My Budget(4k) And Taste. Which would you buy? Last post on 8/23/14 at 5:17pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot? Last post on 8/11/14 at 1:08pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Need Help Choosing Headphones/Amp/DAC/Cables Last post on 7/11/12 at 2:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apex Peak/Volcano vs. Zana Deux Last post on 6/25/12 at 1:54am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 7/21/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/10/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
Ok we'll these were my first over ear headphones I fell in love with and there's plenty of reasons for that, I'll talk about the durability, comfort level and mind blowing bass first -...
My video review for those interested: The VS3S is a VSONIC’s latest earphone, and they have made a big claim. That is that these VS3S as well as their brother VSD3(at the current price of...
Introduction I got these headphones around the national holiday. These came out about 2 years after I had got my K701. I was first attracted by its classy design and colour. I thought I would...
I am one of the lucky ones to get a chance to be reviewer in the HE-400i "tour". HiFiMAN has intrigued me since the start of my Head-Fi journey. The HE-400 was the first headphone I purchased...
Note: Much of this comes from a review I wrote and posted elsewhere a month or so ago, but with some editing and organizational tweaks. I have wanted to do a full Alpha Dog review for a while,...
Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier - Page 37post #541 of 32448/7/12 at 3:17pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #542 of 32448/7/12 at 3:26pmQuote:
That's a big reason why I keep buying them. There are other vendors that are price, quality, and ergonomically competitive with the Molecule like Q and Norse, but they aren't exactly "point and click". BTW, I always go with the recommended soft black nylon multifilliment sleeving, and the recommended Logo heatshrink splitter. Peter's recommendations are good 8^)post #543 of 32448/7/12 at 3:27pm
According to the Q newsletter they are availIable now, didn't see them on the website last I looked though. Probably special orderpost #544 of 32448/7/12 at 3:38pmpost #545 of 32448/7/12 at 4:06pmQuote:post #546 of 32448/7/12 at 6:34pmQuote:Originally Posted by Kremer930
I think that to make the Lyr/ He6 combo clip you would have to have the cans off your head but it just doesn't fill out the bass as well as the HE6 can give. The Moljnir should help out quite a bit.
And if that doesn't do the trick...the line up with me for the Statement amp. 4 months and counting....
I hope that you're right, its just that the mjolnir is doing to give like 1db of additional headroom which doesnt translate to much. But maybe the far more beefy power supply of the mjolnir will let it shine.
Ive just been having lots of doubts that this or the Audio-GD master 8 can power the HE-6 the same way a good speaker amp canpost #547 of 32448/8/12 at 1:05amMy Mjolnir now has a little over 100 hours on it so I figured it's time to sit down and do a little more detailed comparison with the Apex Peak/Volcano. I use a Shuguang Black Treasure in the Peak and both the tube and the amp are well run in. Most of my listening with the Mjolnir has been with the Denon D7100 but for the comparison I used the HD800 since it's a better known quantity. I level matched the amps using an SPL meter. The cable on the HD800 was a Q Audio balanced cable and I just used an adapter for the Peak rather than switching cables. For the source I used the Denon DCD-A100 SACD player playing a mix of CDs and SACDs. I tried a broad array of music including orchestral, classical guitar, jazz, hip-hop, bluegrass, country, blues, rock, klezmer and electronica.Going in I had been enjoying the Mjolnir so much I actually expected it to win easily. Of course, once you sit down and really compare it's not always so easy. So here is a quick summary of what I found.The Mjonir is more resolving and reveals more detail but is also drier. Images are clearer with cleaner edges. It does a better job of unraveling complex music with a lot of layering. It better handles large dynamic swings. It generally does a better job of presenting stage depth.The Peak generally provides a more diffuse sounding image which can actually be more realistic sounding at times. In comparison to the Mjolnir it has a hard time when things get complex. It conveys subtlety and emotion better.I didn't really notice much difference in soundstage width but I was focusing on which amp I enjoyed more for a particular piece of music and I find that after a certain point soundstage width doesn't really make that much difference in that regard.I didn't notice either amp imposing a particular tonal color on the music.So which amp did I prefer? Well … it depends. If the music has complex layering like electronica, big dynamic swings like large scale orchestral or relies primarily on energy to convey its message like rock I preferred the Mjolnir. However, if the music relies on emotion, lyricism and subtlety I found I preferred the Peak. I do feel the Mjolnir does seem to be the more technically pure amp but both amps are really very good and the Peak does do a good job of straddling the line between technical purity and tube based romanticism. Of course, given that the Mjolnir is $750 vs the Peak/Volcano at ~$2300 it really is an extremely impressive piece.post #548 of 32448/8/12 at 1:13amQuote:
Very nice impressions, Kstaken. Could your provide some details with some LCD's for a comparative view point?post #549 of 32448/8/12 at 1:31am
Unfortunately I only have an LCD-2 R1 and I can't stand it. I re-terminated the cable, plugged it into the Mjolnir for 5 minutes and then put it back in its box and on the shelf.post #550 of 32448/8/12 at 5:15ampost #551 of 32448/8/12 at 5:44am
For the schiit to be worthy of a comparison with the peak it must be pretty good...
Seems like schiit really is keeping with their agenda of delivering high-end to the masses.
Can't wait to see what their statement amp will be if it's released later this year.post #552 of 32448/8/12 at 6:27amQuote:
Any word if there's gonna be tubes in the statement amp? I hope not.post #553 of 32448/8/12 at 6:39am
I think they said it would be available in both. But until its alive, its all up in the air. I have to imagine the big push right now is getting the Gungnir out. As for the Mjolnir being Peak killing material, we'll see. I've always wanted to try a Schiit and never quite pulled the trigger on the Lyr. If its great then I'll probably also try the Gungnir, if not then the Gungnir is likely off my radar too.post #554 of 32448/8/12 at 6:40ampost #555 of 32448/8/12 at 7:11am
I have to say that Schiit are pretty cool for making the Mjolnir a dedicated balanced amp only - not spending money on SE and instead focusing 100% on balanced.
I would be dissapointed if the statement was a mjolnir with added SE...
But a high-end class A balanced amp to take the fight to the Dark Star and GS-X for $1000-1300 or so... that would be pretty cool.
Edited by TwoEars - 8/8/12 at 7:20am
- Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › AudioValve RKV-II (OTL amp) (2014 version) + AudioValve Box... 27 seconds ago
- › New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and... 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 7 minutes ago
- › Colorfly C3 Appreciation and Discussion Thread 8 minutes ago
- › USED Heir Audio 3.ai 8 minutes ago
- › Schiit Gungnir DAC 9 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 10 minutes ago
- › DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1, FiiO X5 +... 10 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 10 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by 12cc2
- › VSONIC VSD3S Black High Fidelity Professional Quality Stereo... by Tom22
- › AKG K 550 by QBoQBo
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by smellyfungus
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by hans030390
- › Fostex TH 900 by archeryc
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)