Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- I'm Trying To Decide On Best Setup For My Budget(4k) And Taste. Which would you buy? Last post on 8/23/14 at 5:17pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot? Last post on 8/11/14 at 1:08pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Need Help Choosing Headphones/Amp/DAC/Cables Last post on 7/11/12 at 2:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apex Peak/Volcano vs. Zana Deux Last post on 6/25/12 at 1:54am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: Yesterday
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 6/30/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier - Page 37post #541 of 34678/7/12 at 3:17pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #542 of 34678/7/12 at 3:26pmQuote:
That's a big reason why I keep buying them. There are other vendors that are price, quality, and ergonomically competitive with the Molecule like Q and Norse, but they aren't exactly "point and click". BTW, I always go with the recommended soft black nylon multifilliment sleeving, and the recommended Logo heatshrink splitter. Peter's recommendations are good 8^)post #543 of 34678/7/12 at 3:27pm
According to the Q newsletter they are availIable now, didn't see them on the website last I looked though. Probably special orderpost #544 of 34678/7/12 at 3:38pmpost #545 of 34678/7/12 at 4:06pmQuote:post #546 of 34678/7/12 at 6:34pmQuote:Originally Posted by Kremer930
I think that to make the Lyr/ He6 combo clip you would have to have the cans off your head but it just doesn't fill out the bass as well as the HE6 can give. The Moljnir should help out quite a bit.
And if that doesn't do the trick...the line up with me for the Statement amp. 4 months and counting....
I hope that you're right, its just that the mjolnir is doing to give like 1db of additional headroom which doesnt translate to much. But maybe the far more beefy power supply of the mjolnir will let it shine.
Ive just been having lots of doubts that this or the Audio-GD master 8 can power the HE-6 the same way a good speaker amp canpost #547 of 34678/8/12 at 1:05amMy Mjolnir now has a little over 100 hours on it so I figured it's time to sit down and do a little more detailed comparison with the Apex Peak/Volcano. I use a Shuguang Black Treasure in the Peak and both the tube and the amp are well run in. Most of my listening with the Mjolnir has been with the Denon D7100 but for the comparison I used the HD800 since it's a better known quantity. I level matched the amps using an SPL meter. The cable on the HD800 was a Q Audio balanced cable and I just used an adapter for the Peak rather than switching cables. For the source I used the Denon DCD-A100 SACD player playing a mix of CDs and SACDs. I tried a broad array of music including orchestral, classical guitar, jazz, hip-hop, bluegrass, country, blues, rock, klezmer and electronica.Going in I had been enjoying the Mjolnir so much I actually expected it to win easily. Of course, once you sit down and really compare it's not always so easy. So here is a quick summary of what I found.The Mjonir is more resolving and reveals more detail but is also drier. Images are clearer with cleaner edges. It does a better job of unraveling complex music with a lot of layering. It better handles large dynamic swings. It generally does a better job of presenting stage depth.The Peak generally provides a more diffuse sounding image which can actually be more realistic sounding at times. In comparison to the Mjolnir it has a hard time when things get complex. It conveys subtlety and emotion better.I didn't really notice much difference in soundstage width but I was focusing on which amp I enjoyed more for a particular piece of music and I find that after a certain point soundstage width doesn't really make that much difference in that regard.I didn't notice either amp imposing a particular tonal color on the music.So which amp did I prefer? Well … it depends. If the music has complex layering like electronica, big dynamic swings like large scale orchestral or relies primarily on energy to convey its message like rock I preferred the Mjolnir. However, if the music relies on emotion, lyricism and subtlety I found I preferred the Peak. I do feel the Mjolnir does seem to be the more technically pure amp but both amps are really very good and the Peak does do a good job of straddling the line between technical purity and tube based romanticism. Of course, given that the Mjolnir is $750 vs the Peak/Volcano at ~$2300 it really is an extremely impressive piece.post #548 of 34678/8/12 at 1:13amQuote:
Very nice impressions, Kstaken. Could your provide some details with some LCD's for a comparative view point?post #549 of 34678/8/12 at 1:31am
Unfortunately I only have an LCD-2 R1 and I can't stand it. I re-terminated the cable, plugged it into the Mjolnir for 5 minutes and then put it back in its box and on the shelf.post #550 of 34678/8/12 at 5:15ampost #551 of 34678/8/12 at 5:44am
For the schiit to be worthy of a comparison with the peak it must be pretty good...
Seems like schiit really is keeping with their agenda of delivering high-end to the masses.
Can't wait to see what their statement amp will be if it's released later this year.post #552 of 34678/8/12 at 6:27amQuote:
Any word if there's gonna be tubes in the statement amp? I hope not.post #553 of 34678/8/12 at 6:39am
I think they said it would be available in both. But until its alive, its all up in the air. I have to imagine the big push right now is getting the Gungnir out. As for the Mjolnir being Peak killing material, we'll see. I've always wanted to try a Schiit and never quite pulled the trigger on the Lyr. If its great then I'll probably also try the Gungnir, if not then the Gungnir is likely off my radar too.post #554 of 34678/8/12 at 6:40ampost #555 of 34678/8/12 at 7:11am
I have to say that Schiit are pretty cool for making the Mjolnir a dedicated balanced amp only - not spending money on SE and instead focusing 100% on balanced.
I would be dissapointed if the statement was a mjolnir with added SE...
But a high-end class A balanced amp to take the fight to the Dark Star and GS-X for $1000-1300 or so... that would be pretty cool.
Edited by TwoEars - 8/8/12 at 7:20am
- Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Grado Fan Club! 32 seconds ago
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 47 seconds ago
- › ACS Encore Studio New 5 Driver CIEM! 1 minute ago
- › Genelec 8020A, pair, almost new, coming with box, manual, cables 1 minute ago
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 2 minutes ago
- › Reviewers wanted - Sound Blaster products 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 2 minutes ago
- › For 6AS7G tube rollers here ..... 3 minutes ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 5 minutes ago
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by wrathzombie
- › RHA T20 by Wyd4
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Stillhart
- › Eddie Current Zana Deux SE by mikoss
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by LandonO
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by twister6
- › Yamaha HPH-MT220BL by RushNerd
- › Klipsch Image X10 Noise-Isolating Earphone by achelgeson
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by nauhid
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3