Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- I'm Trying To Decide On Best Setup For My Budget(4k) And Taste. Which would you buy? Last post on 12/5/12 at 2:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp recommendations for Fostex TH900? Last post on 11/22/13 at 9:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot? Last post on 8/18/13 at 5:37pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Need Help Choosing Headphones/Amp/DAC/Cables Last post on 7/11/12 at 2:39am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/5/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: Yesterday
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/26/13
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
Packaging and build: The packaging is minimal and exquisitely so. The extra tips filters and manual are behind the felt coated foam holding the earphones. As I gingerly dislodged them from the...
Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier - Page 37post #541 of 29908/7/12 at 3:17pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #542 of 29908/7/12 at 3:26pmQuote:
That's a big reason why I keep buying them. There are other vendors that are price, quality, and ergonomically competitive with the Molecule like Q and Norse, but they aren't exactly "point and click". BTW, I always go with the recommended soft black nylon multifilliment sleeving, and the recommended Logo heatshrink splitter. Peter's recommendations are good 8^)post #543 of 29908/7/12 at 3:27pm
According to the Q newsletter they are availIable now, didn't see them on the website last I looked though. Probably special orderpost #544 of 29908/7/12 at 3:38pmpost #545 of 29908/7/12 at 4:06pmQuote:post #546 of 29908/7/12 at 6:34pmQuote:Originally Posted by Kremer930
I think that to make the Lyr/ He6 combo clip you would have to have the cans off your head but it just doesn't fill out the bass as well as the HE6 can give. The Moljnir should help out quite a bit.
And if that doesn't do the trick...the line up with me for the Statement amp. 4 months and counting....
I hope that you're right, its just that the mjolnir is doing to give like 1db of additional headroom which doesnt translate to much. But maybe the far more beefy power supply of the mjolnir will let it shine.
Ive just been having lots of doubts that this or the Audio-GD master 8 can power the HE-6 the same way a good speaker amp canpost #547 of 29908/8/12 at 1:05amMy Mjolnir now has a little over 100 hours on it so I figured it's time to sit down and do a little more detailed comparison with the Apex Peak/Volcano. I use a Shuguang Black Treasure in the Peak and both the tube and the amp are well run in. Most of my listening with the Mjolnir has been with the Denon D7100 but for the comparison I used the HD800 since it's a better known quantity. I level matched the amps using an SPL meter. The cable on the HD800 was a Q Audio balanced cable and I just used an adapter for the Peak rather than switching cables. For the source I used the Denon DCD-A100 SACD player playing a mix of CDs and SACDs. I tried a broad array of music including orchestral, classical guitar, jazz, hip-hop, bluegrass, country, blues, rock, klezmer and electronica.Going in I had been enjoying the Mjolnir so much I actually expected it to win easily. Of course, once you sit down and really compare it's not always so easy. So here is a quick summary of what I found.The Mjonir is more resolving and reveals more detail but is also drier. Images are clearer with cleaner edges. It does a better job of unraveling complex music with a lot of layering. It better handles large dynamic swings. It generally does a better job of presenting stage depth.The Peak generally provides a more diffuse sounding image which can actually be more realistic sounding at times. In comparison to the Mjolnir it has a hard time when things get complex. It conveys subtlety and emotion better.I didn't really notice much difference in soundstage width but I was focusing on which amp I enjoyed more for a particular piece of music and I find that after a certain point soundstage width doesn't really make that much difference in that regard.I didn't notice either amp imposing a particular tonal color on the music.So which amp did I prefer? Well … it depends. If the music has complex layering like electronica, big dynamic swings like large scale orchestral or relies primarily on energy to convey its message like rock I preferred the Mjolnir. However, if the music relies on emotion, lyricism and subtlety I found I preferred the Peak. I do feel the Mjolnir does seem to be the more technically pure amp but both amps are really very good and the Peak does do a good job of straddling the line between technical purity and tube based romanticism. Of course, given that the Mjolnir is $750 vs the Peak/Volcano at ~$2300 it really is an extremely impressive piece.post #548 of 29908/8/12 at 1:13amQuote:
Very nice impressions, Kstaken. Could your provide some details with some LCD's for a comparative view point?post #549 of 29908/8/12 at 1:31am
Unfortunately I only have an LCD-2 R1 and I can't stand it. I re-terminated the cable, plugged it into the Mjolnir for 5 minutes and then put it back in its box and on the shelf.post #550 of 29908/8/12 at 5:15ampost #551 of 29908/8/12 at 5:44am
For the schiit to be worthy of a comparison with the peak it must be pretty good...
Seems like schiit really is keeping with their agenda of delivering high-end to the masses.
Can't wait to see what their statement amp will be if it's released later this year.post #552 of 29908/8/12 at 6:27amQuote:
Any word if there's gonna be tubes in the statement amp? I hope not.post #553 of 29908/8/12 at 6:39am
I think they said it would be available in both. But until its alive, its all up in the air. I have to imagine the big push right now is getting the Gungnir out. As for the Mjolnir being Peak killing material, we'll see. I've always wanted to try a Schiit and never quite pulled the trigger on the Lyr. If its great then I'll probably also try the Gungnir, if not then the Gungnir is likely off my radar too.post #554 of 29908/8/12 at 6:40ampost #555 of 29908/8/12 at 7:11am
I have to say that Schiit are pretty cool for making the Mjolnir a dedicated balanced amp only - not spending money on SE and instead focusing 100% on balanced.
I would be dissapointed if the statement was a mjolnir with added SE...
But a high-end class A balanced amp to take the fight to the Dark Star and GS-X for $1000-1300 or so... that would be pretty cool.
Edited by TwoEars - 8/8/12 at 7:20am
- Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Thread displaying incorrectly - content in sidebar 43 seconds ago
- › Open headphones under $250. 1 minute ago
- › Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM Appreciation/Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › post your grado mods.... 1 minute ago
- › Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps 1 minute ago
- › 1964 Ears (The Appreciation Thread) 2 minutes ago
- › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2, plus comparisons (Added ER4S) 2 minutes ago
- › Hybrid IEM comparison requested: Astrotec AX60, DUNU DN1000, TPEOS... 5 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 6 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe