Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier - Page 27

post #391 of 3240

Not lens distortion in the size of the last picture (unless it's just a crop of the first, even then it feels like it's a little too much).

 

But something with those light and dark regions tapered in on the end like that smells optical illusion to me. Since Schiit wouldn't send us amps with tiny scratches on the bottom, I feel assured they wont send us amps that are not straight. I feel equally safe they wont change their design.

 

Still, that sure doesn't look quite straight...

post #392 of 3240
Quote:
Originally Posted by O8h7w View Post

Not lens distortion in the size of the last picture (unless it's just a crop of the first, even then it feels like it's a little too much).

But something with those light and dark regions tapered in on the end like that smells optical illusion to me. Since Schiit wouldn't send us amps with tiny scratches on the bottom, I feel assured they wont send us amps that are not straight. I feel equally safe they wont change their design.

Still, that sure doesn't look quite straight...
Thought so too but still it would be nice to hear confirmation from one of the owners
post #393 of 3240
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Sup View Post
 

Looks like a cheap lens, or poorly made expensive lens.

post #394 of 3240

Oh you have got to be kidding me here, the bottom of the amp is straight. Have none of you handled a camera? It's called perspective distortion, which exhibits in different ways at different focal lengths.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post
Same way I do mine.  Plug the DAC's balanced output to the Mjolnir, the unbalanced to the Peak.  4pin XLR to LCD-3 on the Mjolnir, 1/4" to the LCD-3 on the Peak.  dB match them and go.  Bonus points for having the same interconnect and headphone cable... like I do :p

 

That's not a fair comparison as it has 3 variables. You can't just volume-match and expect the only variable to be the amp. If a balanced DAC has been designed properly (i.e., with a dual-differential DAC configuration), the balanced output is going to sound better than the unbalanced output and the Mjolnir will have an unfair advantage. Plus, you have one balanced headphone vs an unbalanced headphone - the balanced headphone will have a faster impulse response, among other things.

post #395 of 3240

The bottom is straight, and there is no lens distortion. it's basically the shades tricking your eyes. no need to concern here. 

post #396 of 3240

yes, it is a cheap lens. cheap lens doesn't mean bad lens. expansive lens doesn't mean good photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tom View Post

Looks like a cheap lens, or poorly made expensive lens.

post #397 of 3240

LOL... beerchug.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post

Oh you have got to be kidding me here, the bottom of the amp is straight. Have none of you handled a camera? It's called perspective distortion, which exhibits in different ways at different focal lengths.

 

 

 

Mjolnir is a great amp. Whoever can afford it should really give it a try. After all Schiit does offer a 15-day money back policy. Take advantage of that!

 

We can say all the good words in the world, but it shouldn't mean anything other than your own ears. 

post #398 of 3240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post

If a balanced DAC has been designed properly (i.e., with a dual-differential DAC configuration), the balanced output is going to sound better than the unbalanced output and the Mjolnir will have an unfair advantage. Plus, you have one balanced headphone vs an unbalanced headphone - the balanced headphone will have a faster impulse response, among other things.

 

Isn't that the point of the comparison?  To see if the Mjolnir can compete with other amps when used at its best?  And vice versa, the Peak has to perform as what it is... a single ended amplifier.  As far as I'm concerned the comparison of A and B is fair when both are used as intended.  Comparing the Peak and Mjolnir while one uses the HD800 and the other LCD-3 would be silly but otherwise fair game.

 

But if you think balanced amps should only need to be better than other balanced amps and single ended amps better than single ended... have at it.  I just want the better amp.  And so far... it hasn't been one of the balanced options that land on my desk /shrug

post #399 of 3240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

 

Isn't that the point of the comparison?  To see if the Mjolnir can compete with other amps when used at its best?  And vice versa, the Peak has to perform as what it is... a single ended amplifier.  As far as I'm concerned the comparison of A and B is fair when both are used as intended.  Comparing the Peak and Mjolnir while one uses the HD800 and the other LCD-3 would be silly but otherwise fair game.

 

But if you think balanced amps should only need to be better than other balanced amps and single ended amps better than single ended... have at it.  I just want the better amp.  And so far... it hasn't been one of the balanced options that land on my desk /shrug

 

I agree with this. Many people argue that some single ended amplifiers will outperform balanced ones. At this high end, everyone's looking for their top sound, regardless of means. 

post #400 of 3240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post
Isn't that the point of the comparison?  To see if the Mjolnir can compete with other amps when used at its best?  And vice versa, the Peak has to perform as what it is... a single ended amplifier.  As far as I'm concerned the comparison of A and B is fair when both are used as intended.  Comparing the Peak and Mjolnir while one uses the HD800 and the other LCD-3 would be silly but otherwise fair game.

 

But if you think balanced amps should only need to be better than other balanced amps and single ended amps better than single ended... have at it.  I just want the better amp.  And so far... it hasn't been one of the balanced options that land on my desk /shrug

 

Ah ok I get what you're saying, I hadn't considered that point of view. I agree that your comparison would be interesting as well - actually, probably more interesting than a comparison to another balanced amp.

post #401 of 3240
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankdisc View Post

 

1000

 

1000

 

1000

 

1000

 

1000

 

I love these pics. The Mjolnir looks like a great match for the HD800 aesthetically and early impressions of synergy are encouraging.

 

I'm fortunate to have an HD800 without the infamous 6khz peak and I found some magic in pairing it with the Lyr + Amperex Bugle Boys. Hoping for that kind of signature (i.e. great balance, bottom end weight, explosive dynamics) from the Mjolnir. It was a struggle to resist going with other options as Schiit encountered set backs, but it seems the wait will be worth it in the end.

post #402 of 3240
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankdisc View Post
 expansive lens doesn't mean good photo.

Shows what you know! I read on line that if one buys a $3k Canon SLR, all of the pic will be very good!tongue_smile.gif

post #403 of 3240
Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n View Post

 

I love these pics. The Mjolnir looks like a great match for the HD800 aesthetically and early impressions of synergy are encouraging.

 

I'm fortunate to have an HD800 without the infamous 6khz peak and I found some magic in pairing it with the Lyr + Amperex Bugle Boys. Hoping for that kind of signature (i.e. great balance, bottom end weight, explosive dynamics) from the Mjolnir. It was a struggle to resist going with other options as Schiit encountered set backs, but it seems the wait will be worth it in the end.

Hi, what's your HD800 serial number?

hwo does it look on an equalizer?

post #404 of 3240

STATUS: In stock. Kinda. We're struggling a bit with demand. Orders placed now will ship in 1-2 weeks.

 

Looks like a win for Schiit =)

post #405 of 3240

Order one, Solude. I have the Soloist here back home - and would like to read your relative impressions of the Mjolnir versus the Australian. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier