or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier - Page 213

post #3181 of 3526

I have a question regarding using both single ended and balanced input on the Mjolnir.

If I connect both (RCA and XLR) to my Mjolnir and set the toggle on the back to SE I can only hear music from the RCA connection if I also play music via the XLR connection, if not, no music from the RCA connecting makes it to my headphone. I have to unplug the XLR's to get the RCA's to work. So basically I can't leave the XLR's connected if I want to use the RCA input..

Is this correct or is my Mjolnir defect?

 

Thanks!

 

Gert-Jan

post #3182 of 3526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerzom View Post
 

I have a question regarding using both single ended and balanced input on the Mjolnir.

If I connect both (RCA and XLR) to my Mjolnir and set the toggle on the back to SE I can only hear music from the RCA connection if I also play music via the XLR connection, if not, no music from the RCA connecting makes it to my headphone. I have to unplug the XLR's to get the RCA's to work. So basically I can't leave the XLR's connected if I want to use the RCA input..

Is this correct or is my Mjolnir defect?

 

Thanks!

 

Gert-Jan

 

Sounds right; you're only supposed to have one input hooked up at a time.

post #3183 of 3526

Thanks !

post #3184 of 3526

Hi.

Anybody tried drive mjolnir with speakers?

Have 2 speakers with 4 ohm impendace,want to try,but affraid :D

post #3185 of 3526

My Mjolnir is for sale  Making room for geek pulse x in case that ever ships.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/722668/schiit-mjolnir-for-sale-to-usa

post #3186 of 3526
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilov View Post

Hi.
Anybody tried drive mjolnir with speakers?
Have 2 speakers with 4 ohm impendace,want to try,but affraid biggrin.gif

Dont think it will work..
post #3187 of 3526
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilov View Post

Hi.
Anybody tried drive mjolnir with speakers?
Have 2 speakers with 4 ohm impendace,want to try,but affraid biggrin.gif

I know I've seen a picture of someone running monitors off the MJ. Fairly certain it will work.
post #3188 of 3526
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilov View Post
 

Hi.

Anybody tried drive mjolnir with speakers?

Have 2 speakers with 4 ohm impendace,want to try,but affraid :D

 

Nice way to void the warranty. It's called a "headphone amplifier" for a reason.

post #3189 of 3526

It was purrin.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/603218/schiit-mjolnir-headphone-amplifier/2580#post_9246029

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post
 

I initially had the Mjolnir has a pre-amp feeding the Crest CA-2. After I confirmed with Jason that the Mjolnir wouldn't melt with a 8+ ohm load (the Fostex drivers), I wanted to give it a shot. Naturally, it sounds much better straight out of the Molnir than the Crest - less crap in the way. Plenty of juice and sufficient gain considering the speakers are 93-94db efficient.

 
post #3190 of 3526
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilov View Post
 

Hi.

Anybody tried drive mjolnir with speakers?

Have 2 speakers with 4 ohm impendace,want to try,but affraid :D

I do not think it would work either.

post #3191 of 3526

Hi, I think I have a problem with my Mjolnir :confused_face_2:

 

I have to use the single ended inputs on the Mjolnir as I now link it directly to my pre-amp instead of the Gungnir. Since I'm running it single ended I have a hum in all of my system (speakers and headphones)

As soon as I disconnect my Mjolnir the hum is gone. I've tried other headphone amps and they are dead quiet in my system. Also when I hook it up via my Gungnir (balanced) I have no issue.

 

Has any one ever had a similar experience whit their Mjolnir running on single ended inputs?

 

I've contacted my dealer here in the Netherlands and I'm going send my Mjolnir back to them for testing.

post #3192 of 3526

That sounds like a ground loop problem.

 

Try 'lifting' the ground on the power cable to the Mojo amp.

 

JJ

post #3193 of 3526
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen View Post
 

That sounds like a ground loop problem.

 

Try 'lifting' the ground on the power cable to the Mojo amp.

 

JJ

Hi JJ,

 

what do you mean by "lifting" the ground on the power cable?

post #3194 of 3526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerzom View Post
 

Hi JJ,

 

what do you mean by "lifting" the ground on the power cable?

I realize you are located in Europe and so you have a different wiring scheme.

 

But I would also assume that you use 3 wires to connect power to the Mojo amp and the rest of your audio gear.

Now if this isn't the case and you use only 2 wires to connect to your ac power, then this may not work.

BUT if you run a separate ground wire to a source of outside ground (like a cold water pipe etc.) this is the 'source' of the ground used in the system.

 

As a TEST try unconnecting the ground connection at the Mojo, and see if the hum goes away.

IOW you may be grounded twice, which can cause hum due to a ground loop.

 

BE AWARE that by lifting the ground on the chassis, it MAY become a source of a shock by touching the chassis.

If this happens pull the plug out and re-connect the ground.

And if you are adventurous (and feel confident to do this) you can try this on other equipment in the audio chain, but be aware the same caution applies about being a potential shock hazard.

 

Now if it makes you uncomfortable in trying this, then don't and get an electrician or somebody you know who is 'handy' with electricity to help you with this. 

 

But ground loops are usually solvable

 

Does this answer your question?

 

JJ

post #3195 of 3526
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen View Post
 

I realize you are located in Europe and so you have a different wiring scheme.

 

But I would also assume that you use 3 wires to connect power to the Mojo amp and the rest of your audio gear.

Now if this isn't the case and you use only 2 wires to connect to your ac power, then this may not work.

BUT if you run a separate ground wire to a source of outside ground (like a cold water pipe etc.) this is the 'source' of the ground used in the system.

 

As a TEST try unconnecting the ground connection at the Mojo, and see if the hum goes away.

IOW you may be grounded twice, which can cause hum due to a ground loop.

 

BE AWARE that by lifting the ground on the chassis, it MAY become a source of a shock by touching the chassis.

If this happens pull the plug out and re-connect the ground.

And if you are adventurous (and feel confident to do this) you can try this on other equipment in the audio chain, but be aware the same caution applies about being a potential shock hazard.

 

Now if it makes you uncomfortable in trying this, then don't and get an electrician or somebody you know who is 'handy' with electricity to help you with this. 

 

But ground loops are usually solvable

 

Does this answer your question?

 

JJ

Thanks JJ, I will start to experiment with the ground lead (we use 3 wires here in Netherlands as well).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier