- 227 Posts. Joined 8/2009
- Location: League City
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- I'm Trying To Decide On Best Setup For My Budget(4k) And Taste. Which would you buy? Last post on 8/23/14 at 5:17pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot? Last post on 8/11/14 at 1:08pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Need Help Choosing Headphones/Amp/DAC/Cables Last post on 7/11/12 at 2:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apex Peak/Volcano vs. Zana Deux Last post on 6/25/12 at 1:54am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
So I got the chance to try out the Aune M1S, and to my Surprise it was way more than I had anticipated or expected. My first impressions was an absolute shock! This thing punches way above it...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be taking a look at the Paco, a compact, attractive, and smartly priced earphone in Fischer Audio's Totem series of products. Fischer Audio isn't new to the...
Overview I purchased these when they first came out during Black Friday in 2016, when they were on sale for $100 CAD. Until these I had mostly spent all of my money on IEMs since they're a lot...
INTRODUCTION Pioneer really surprised me with the new release of the DJ HRM-6 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones. I've recently tried out seven headphones that are considered high end and...
The nice thing about being last on the tour is that I have the benefit of completely broken in equipment. The new smell and feel is gone. Gone through many miles and air flights, and USPS trucks...
Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier - Page 211post #3151 of 35294/18/14 at 10:14amI've had it about 2 months now, and it sits on top of my DAC.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3152 of 35294/20/14 at 5:48pmpost #3153 of 35294/20/14 at 6:02pm
Personally I love it, I know others will give you some so-so reviews with the Mjolnir and the hifiman, but I think there is great synergy, at least running it with an audio-gd DAC, I haven't heard the MJ/gungnir combo on the HE-500. Dynamics with the MJ are superb and there is just an effortless quality to how it plays music of every genre, it makes the HE-500s somehow more comfortable or something, cause it's hard for me to take them off my head! I guess the Mjonir's reputation as being aggressive sounding(no clue what that means really) is something I prefer and enjoy.post #3154 of 35294/20/14 at 8:34pm
Yea, tried my friend's HE 500 on my MJ+Gungnir... the combo is indeed a bit dry and aggressive for my taste. Then again i'm in the LCD2 and HD650 camp... so take that with a grain of saltpost #3155 of 35294/20/14 at 8:59pmQuote:
I've heard very similar sentiments from Hifiman owners as well, which is why I ended up straying away from the Mjolnir. However, at the last California meet, I heard the LCD-X / LCD-2 with a few mjolnirs, and it made me really think about changing out my gear to arrange that set-up. Really good synergy with Audeze.post #3156 of 35294/21/14 at 2:33amThanks for the impressions. I'm thinking the aggressiveness might be good with HE-500 as they are a bit laid back compared to HD-800. Probably not too good with HD-800 but I already settled with tubes with those cans.post #3157 of 35294/22/14 at 3:19pm
For me, it just depends on the day, or time. It can be a Mjolnir 650 night, or an 800 night. If neither those then the 600s. If not those, I usually just turn on Gran Turismo and use the 700s.
My sources can be a tad dark, or smooth as I like to imply.post #3158 of 35294/22/14 at 3:23pmQuote:
Before I bought the MJ I heard it with the HD800, LCD3, and HE-500, it sounded very good with the planars but was indeed a little bit too harsh with the HD800s. I think you are in the majority with the tubes+800=best match.post #3159 of 35294/22/14 at 3:51pmQuote:MJ sounds like it could be it for my HE-500. I have a balanced DAC but not a balanced amp and would really like to try and hear how balanced is.
Ok, gotta go, the Crack is warmed up and 800s are waiting. Laterzpost #3160 of 35294/23/14 at 3:16pmpost #3161 of 35294/23/14 at 4:25pmpost #3162 of 35294/23/14 at 4:45pmQuote:
It is a ground loop? No, I've tried a GFCI oulet, and I've ungrounded the the device with a 3 to 2 prong adapter.
It happens on any plug in any part of the house, with no source and the volume all the way down.
Does it happen to folks from time to time? Certainly. I googled it and that's how I deduced the source of my problem and the likely, and costly, solution.
Have I ever had an amp that was this picky about how "clean" the power is? No.
Have I ever had an amp this high in quality though? No.
I love Schiit products, I've owned at least 4 now, but it's a little frustrating.post #3163 of 35294/23/14 at 4:57pmI had buzzing with a tube and no, it was not the tube. The problem was that I was using it with a portable device on batteries. When I used a properly isolated and grounded DAC the problem dissapeared. So I would suggest to try a different source even if you don't use a portable device as source.post #3164 of 35294/23/14 at 5:23pmYou're missing the point, the hum and buzzing is there without the source.
My source is a Gungnir with PYST cables, so for all intents and purposes- this schiit is compatible.
Edited by Butler - 4/23/14 at 5:29pmpost #3165 of 35294/23/14 at 5:27pm
- Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › New Member Introductions thread 56 seconds ago
- › Hunting for ideal office headphones: closed & comfortable 1 minute ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 1 minute ago
- › They might be Kings: Focal Utopia, Sony MDR-Z1R, HiFiMan HE1000 V2... 2 minutes ago
- › NAD D 7050 3 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 4 minutes ago
- › Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - 👌 screenless budget... 4 minutes ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 5 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 5 minutes ago
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by B9Scrambler
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by peaches
- › Pioneer DJ HRM-6 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones by ILIRS CORNER
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by ngoshawk
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by ngoshawk
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by kevingzw
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by crabdog
- › PSB M4U 1 by JoshG1217
- › Cayin i5 by daduy
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear