- 225 Posts. Joined 8/2009
- Location: League City
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- I'm Trying To Decide On Best Setup For My Budget(4k) And Taste. Which would you buy? Last post on 8/23/14 at 5:17pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot? Last post on 8/11/14 at 1:08pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Need Help Choosing Headphones/Amp/DAC/Cables Last post on 7/11/12 at 2:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apex Peak/Volcano vs. Zana Deux Last post on 6/25/12 at 1:54am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/8/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 4/13/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S Quick Review Thanks to Hifiheadphones for the sample. Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/770243/soundmagic-e50-e50s-review-by-mark2410 Brief: A middy...
Before I get into my review, some disclosure: I received a free loaner unit as part of a mini North American tour, set up and sponsored by @EmpJ of CTC Audio. I got to keep the unit for a...
First off, I want to thank Brainwavz and Audrey for this BLU-100 unit. Packaging and Accessories I received the BLU-100 before its release and it came in the Brainwavz iem case without...
These have been the best headphones I have used for $99. For the few weeks they worked, it was amazing. Unfortunately, after a few weeks, the right earcup detached from the headband. They seem to...
It was a long time since I orignally intended to write this review as I wanted to check black Velvet in addition to the Crystal velvet I've had. You can find a lot of impression on Head-fi...
Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier - Page 211post #3151 of 34574/18/14 at 10:14amI've had it about 2 months now, and it sits on top of my DAC.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3152 of 34574/20/14 at 5:48pmpost #3153 of 34574/20/14 at 6:02pm
Personally I love it, I know others will give you some so-so reviews with the Mjolnir and the hifiman, but I think there is great synergy, at least running it with an audio-gd DAC, I haven't heard the MJ/gungnir combo on the HE-500. Dynamics with the MJ are superb and there is just an effortless quality to how it plays music of every genre, it makes the HE-500s somehow more comfortable or something, cause it's hard for me to take them off my head! I guess the Mjonir's reputation as being aggressive sounding(no clue what that means really) is something I prefer and enjoy.post #3154 of 34574/20/14 at 8:34pm
Yea, tried my friend's HE 500 on my MJ+Gungnir... the combo is indeed a bit dry and aggressive for my taste. Then again i'm in the LCD2 and HD650 camp... so take that with a grain of saltpost #3155 of 34574/20/14 at 8:59pmQuote:
I've heard very similar sentiments from Hifiman owners as well, which is why I ended up straying away from the Mjolnir. However, at the last California meet, I heard the LCD-X / LCD-2 with a few mjolnirs, and it made me really think about changing out my gear to arrange that set-up. Really good synergy with Audeze.post #3156 of 34574/21/14 at 2:33amThanks for the impressions. I'm thinking the aggressiveness might be good with HE-500 as they are a bit laid back compared to HD-800. Probably not too good with HD-800 but I already settled with tubes with those cans.post #3157 of 34574/22/14 at 3:19pm
For me, it just depends on the day, or time. It can be a Mjolnir 650 night, or an 800 night. If neither those then the 600s. If not those, I usually just turn on Gran Turismo and use the 700s.
My sources can be a tad dark, or smooth as I like to imply.post #3158 of 34574/22/14 at 3:23pmQuote:
Before I bought the MJ I heard it with the HD800, LCD3, and HE-500, it sounded very good with the planars but was indeed a little bit too harsh with the HD800s. I think you are in the majority with the tubes+800=best match.post #3159 of 34574/22/14 at 3:51pmQuote:MJ sounds like it could be it for my HE-500. I have a balanced DAC but not a balanced amp and would really like to try and hear how balanced is.
Ok, gotta go, the Crack is warmed up and 800s are waiting. Laterzpost #3160 of 34574/23/14 at 3:16pmpost #3161 of 34574/23/14 at 4:25pmpost #3162 of 34574/23/14 at 4:45pmQuote:
It is a ground loop? No, I've tried a GFCI oulet, and I've ungrounded the the device with a 3 to 2 prong adapter.
It happens on any plug in any part of the house, with no source and the volume all the way down.
Does it happen to folks from time to time? Certainly. I googled it and that's how I deduced the source of my problem and the likely, and costly, solution.
Have I ever had an amp that was this picky about how "clean" the power is? No.
Have I ever had an amp this high in quality though? No.
I love Schiit products, I've owned at least 4 now, but it's a little frustrating.post #3163 of 34574/23/14 at 4:57pmI had buzzing with a tube and no, it was not the tube. The problem was that I was using it with a portable device on batteries. When I used a properly isolated and grounded DAC the problem dissapeared. So I would suggest to try a different source even if you don't use a portable device as source.post #3164 of 34574/23/14 at 5:23pmYou're missing the point, the hum and buzzing is there without the source.
My source is a Gungnir with PYST cables, so for all intents and purposes- this schiit is compatible.
Edited by Butler - 4/23/14 at 5:29pmpost #3165 of 34574/23/14 at 5:27pm
- Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › HE1000 pricing: what drives the price of headphones? 1 minute ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 2 minutes ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 2 minutes ago
- › Sony NWZ-A15 vs FiiO X1 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club 5 minutes ago
- › Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R 5 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 6 minutes ago
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by mark2410
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by hakushondaimao
- › Brainwavz BLU-100 Bluetooth IEMs by kova4a
- › Grado Labs SR80e by SeraphSolus
- › EarSonics Velvet by LMka
- › Audio-Technica In-Ear Headphones ATH-CKR9 (Japan Import) by peter123
- › Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 Studio - Headphones ( in-ear ear-bud ) -... by Lewzke
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by chowmein83
- › Alclair Curve by Brooko
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by wofsie
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2