- 225 Posts. Joined 8/2009
- Location: League City
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- I'm Trying To Decide On Best Setup For My Budget(4k) And Taste. Which would you buy? Last post on 8/23/14 at 5:17pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot? Last post on 8/11/14 at 1:08pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Need Help Choosing Headphones/Amp/DAC/Cables Last post on 7/11/12 at 2:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apex Peak/Volcano vs. Zana Deux Last post on 6/25/12 at 1:54am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/8/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 4/13/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier - Page 211post #3151 of 34514/18/14 at 10:14amI've had it about 2 months now, and it sits on top of my DAC.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3152 of 34514/20/14 at 5:48pmpost #3153 of 34514/20/14 at 6:02pm
Personally I love it, I know others will give you some so-so reviews with the Mjolnir and the hifiman, but I think there is great synergy, at least running it with an audio-gd DAC, I haven't heard the MJ/gungnir combo on the HE-500. Dynamics with the MJ are superb and there is just an effortless quality to how it plays music of every genre, it makes the HE-500s somehow more comfortable or something, cause it's hard for me to take them off my head! I guess the Mjonir's reputation as being aggressive sounding(no clue what that means really) is something I prefer and enjoy.post #3154 of 34514/20/14 at 8:34pm
Yea, tried my friend's HE 500 on my MJ+Gungnir... the combo is indeed a bit dry and aggressive for my taste. Then again i'm in the LCD2 and HD650 camp... so take that with a grain of saltpost #3155 of 34514/20/14 at 8:59pmQuote:
I've heard very similar sentiments from Hifiman owners as well, which is why I ended up straying away from the Mjolnir. However, at the last California meet, I heard the LCD-X / LCD-2 with a few mjolnirs, and it made me really think about changing out my gear to arrange that set-up. Really good synergy with Audeze.post #3156 of 34514/21/14 at 2:33amThanks for the impressions. I'm thinking the aggressiveness might be good with HE-500 as they are a bit laid back compared to HD-800. Probably not too good with HD-800 but I already settled with tubes with those cans.post #3157 of 34514/22/14 at 3:19pm
For me, it just depends on the day, or time. It can be a Mjolnir 650 night, or an 800 night. If neither those then the 600s. If not those, I usually just turn on Gran Turismo and use the 700s.
My sources can be a tad dark, or smooth as I like to imply.post #3158 of 34514/22/14 at 3:23pmQuote:
Before I bought the MJ I heard it with the HD800, LCD3, and HE-500, it sounded very good with the planars but was indeed a little bit too harsh with the HD800s. I think you are in the majority with the tubes+800=best match.post #3159 of 34514/22/14 at 3:51pmQuote:MJ sounds like it could be it for my HE-500. I have a balanced DAC but not a balanced amp and would really like to try and hear how balanced is.
Ok, gotta go, the Crack is warmed up and 800s are waiting. Laterzpost #3160 of 34514/23/14 at 3:16pmpost #3161 of 34514/23/14 at 4:25pmpost #3162 of 34514/23/14 at 4:45pmQuote:
It is a ground loop? No, I've tried a GFCI oulet, and I've ungrounded the the device with a 3 to 2 prong adapter.
It happens on any plug in any part of the house, with no source and the volume all the way down.
Does it happen to folks from time to time? Certainly. I googled it and that's how I deduced the source of my problem and the likely, and costly, solution.
Have I ever had an amp that was this picky about how "clean" the power is? No.
Have I ever had an amp this high in quality though? No.
I love Schiit products, I've owned at least 4 now, but it's a little frustrating.post #3163 of 34514/23/14 at 4:57pmI had buzzing with a tube and no, it was not the tube. The problem was that I was using it with a portable device on batteries. When I used a properly isolated and grounded DAC the problem dissapeared. So I would suggest to try a different source even if you don't use a portable device as source.post #3164 of 34514/23/14 at 5:23pmYou're missing the point, the hum and buzzing is there without the source.
My source is a Gungnir with PYST cables, so for all intents and purposes- this schiit is compatible.
Edited by Butler - 4/23/14 at 5:29pmpost #3165 of 34514/23/14 at 5:27pm
- Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 33 seconds ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma sucks) 1 minute ago
- › Replace AK120 with AK240 or go AK120 + Chord hugo 1 minute ago
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 4 minutes ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 6 minutes ago
- › Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread 6 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 6 minutes ago
- › High End audiophile products - not many differences to cheap... 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by daduy
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by sarora
- › VSONIC VSD 2S by Arvan
- › Master & Dynamic MH30 On Ear Headphone - Black by acain
- › SanDisk SDMX22-004G-A57K Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB, Black by kite7
- › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black) by weirdek
- › Chord Hugo by FortisFlyer75
- › Technics RP-DH1200 DJ Headphones by Johannus
- › Bravo Audio S1 Class A Deluxe Headphone Amplifier with Op-amp by YoYo JoKeR
- › MEElectronics A151P Gen.2 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by YoYo JoKeR
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2