Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier - Page 161

post #2401 of 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamleo View Post

Hi there,
I see at Schiit's website the Mjolnir is a high-voltage amp. Will it be good paired with my LCD-2 which loves the current so much
And do you all know what is "no overall feedback"?
Thanks so much

Most headphone amps use an Op Amp or two somewhere in the chain to amplify the signal.
Op Amps use a lot of feedback to reduce distortion, reduce output impedance, increase input impedance, increase bandwidth, etc.
Op Amps are used throughout the recording and mastering chain.

But for some wierd reason Audiophiles think feedback is bad.
Go figure.

There may be no overall feedback in the amp, but if you look at the circuit long enough, you'll find some feedback in the circuit somewhere.
post #2402 of 3216

What is the difference in terms of female vocals going from the Lyr to the Mjolnir?  I really love the smooth and lush character of female vocals on the Lyr.  Would the Mjolnir be a step in the opposite direction?

post #2403 of 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by technica18 View Post

What is the difference in terms of female vocals going from the Lyr to the Mjolnir?  I really love the smooth and lush character of female vocals on the Lyr.  Would the Mjolnir be a step in the opposite direction?

I loved the Lyr ,and all 35 pairs of tubes I used ,especially,with male, female vocals,&  with some operas.

 

The MJ ,gives me, a more detailed sound,not as warm as the Lyr IMHO--coupled with the Gungnir,will make it a bit smoother,though.

YMMV


Edited by mikek200 - 1/13/13 at 4:53pm
post #2404 of 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek200 View Post

and all 35 pairs of tubes

 

eek.gif

post #2405 of 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

eek.gif

Many,many duplicates..except for the Lorenzes..

Luckily,sold them all,to a buyer in Germany.

post #2406 of 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek200 View Post

I loved the Lyr ,and all 35 pairs of tubes I used ,especially,with male, female vocals,&  with some operas.

 

The MJ ,gives me, a more detailed sound,not as warm as the Lyr IMHO--coupled with the Gungnir,will make it a bit smoother,though.

YMMV

Not near as warm at all. But still natural, smooth and detailed.

post #2407 of 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by technica18 View Post

What is the difference in terms of female vocals going from the Lyr to the Mjolnir?  I really love the smooth and lush character of female vocals on the Lyr.  Would the Mjolnir be a step in the opposite direction?

I like the Lyr a lot, but the Mjolnir does a better job balancing the signature of the LCD2s. As others have mentioned, the Mjolnir resolves more detail in recordings. As a result, the timbre and harmonics of instruments, including the human voice, sound more natural. I find vocals are more compelling and intimate out of the Mjolnir. The Lyr has the great warmth and lushness, but it flattens out some of the details in recordings. The sound strikes me as somewhat stylized compared the Mjolnir. Not in a bad way at all, but not quite as natural as the Mjolnir. For me, the intimacy of the the vocals combined with the increased dynamics makes for an engaging listening experience.
post #2408 of 3216

Well, I think I'm gonna pass on the Mjolnir for now and just stick with the Lyr since I like the smoothness of it and can't bear anything shrill.

post #2409 of 3216

hi everyone,

 

Has anyone a Toxic cable on LCD2 or else to compare to stock cable on Mjolnir ? I should get both witin a month and can give my thoughts about it  gs1000.gif

How many hours burn in minimum before release Mjolnir true sound ? About 200 ?


Edited by bible100 - 1/15/13 at 6:28am
post #2410 of 3216

From Schitts description for the Mjolnir it states

"High Power for Any Headphones
High-gain amps can be noisy. This doesn’t matter for low-efficiency orthodynamics, but if you have, say, Denons, it may not be ideal. Mjolnir delivers both 8W RMS per channel, and exceptionally low noise."

I have Denon D7100's and was going to get the Mjolnir in the next week or two. Should I read this as the Mjolnir will do just as good with a high sensitivity headphone where most other high power amps won't or should I be looking elsewhere? I plan on getting some LCD-2 or 3's in the near future but I want to enjoy the Denons in the mean time.

post #2411 of 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostchili View Post

From Schitts description for the Mjolnir it states

"High Power for Any Headphones
High-gain amps can be noisy. This doesn’t matter for low-efficiency orthodynamics, but if you have, say, Denons, it may not be ideal. Mjolnir delivers both 8W RMS per channel, and exceptionally low noise."

I have Denon D7100's and was going to get the Mjolnir in the next week or two. Should I read this as the Mjolnir will do just as good with a high sensitivity headphone where most other high power amps won't or should I be looking elsewhere? I plan on getting some LCD-2 or 3's in the near future but I want to enjoy the Denons in the mean time.

I believe most problems are with IEM's, with not having a gain switch and all.

 

To clarify, I thought the D7000's were a wonderful pairing. No issues with noise.


Edited by paradoxper - 1/15/13 at 6:45pm
post #2412 of 3216

High gain certainly isn't fun but since it uses a pot, the only thing reducing your infinite options is your finger control ;)  I used to have the Peak at 14x gain so the Mjolnir 8x wasn't an issue for me.

post #2413 of 3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

High gain certainly isn't fun but since it uses a pot, the only thing reducing your infinite options is your finger control ;)  I used to have the Peak at 14x gain so the Mjolnir 8x wasn't an issue for me.

 

This is a time when i wish everyone would just use dB as their scale for gain. Rather just digits, or sometimes digits with an x after it. Because ive seen very little consistency in the gain values that are just a number. For instance, i dont really get where the 8 comes from, when its 18dB of gain with the mjolnir

post #2414 of 3216

Schiit lists it as 8x (18dB).  Use this calc to take it from not too meaningful dB back to voltage multiplier...

 

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-gainloss.htm

post #2415 of 3216

Got the mjolnir/gungnir stack on thursday. I feel the combo adds just an extra push of energy for the LCD's, they dont sound all that dark to me anymore. I don't want to go into too many specifics as I only have had a few hours to listen so far but first initial impression was energy, the sound feels more engaging to me out of both the LCD 2 and 3's, and more detailed from what I was getting  from the Lyr. I'm using optical out of my imac for the gungnir, I haven't tried to usb to see if there was an SQ difference, doubt there will be.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier