Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier - Page 145

post #2161 of 3151

I'm almost getting ready to pull the trigger on the Mjolnir but recapping some of the reviews has me nervous cause a lot of people mention how bright and aggressive it is.  The one thing I can stand is too much brightness and that's why bought the LCD-2 which is so smooth and nice in this respect.  I'm gonna use it with the Bifrost at first and I can't match it with a Gungnir just yet.  Should I be concerned or should I just roll the dice?

post #2162 of 3151
Quote:
Originally Posted by technica18 View Post

I'm almost getting ready to pull the trigger on the Mjolnir but recapping some of the reviews has me nervous cause a lot of people mention how bright and aggressive it is.  The one thing I can stand is too much brightness and that's why bought the LCD-2 which is so smooth and nice in this respect.  I'm gonna use it with the Bifrost at first and I can't match it with a Gungnir just yet.  Should I be concerned or should I just roll the dice?

Roll the dice. 

 

The Mjolnir sounded harsh out of the box, but with burn-in smoothed out.

However it is an forward sounding amp, not laid back and very engaging.

I haven't found it harsh nor fatiguing.

 

The Bifrost is a bit harsh compared to Gungnir, but I don't think it should present any problems.


Edited by paradoxper - 12/19/12 at 10:25pm
post #2163 of 3151

I would roll the dice. I bet you'll get used to it in a heartbeat and love it. IMO. biggrin.gif

post #2164 of 3151
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Roll the dice. 

 

The Mjolnir sounded harsh out of the box, but with burn-in smoothed out.

However it is an forward sounding amp, not laid back and very engaging.

I haven't found it harsh nor fatiguing.

 

The Bifrost is a bit harsh compared to Gungnir, but I don't think it should present any problems.

 

Do you have experience with the Lyr?  Would you say it's more forward sounding than the Lyr?

post #2165 of 3151
Quote:
Originally Posted by technica18 View Post

 

Do you have experience with the Lyr?  Would you say it's more forward sounding than 

Yes. However Mjolnir is just flat out better than Lyr across the entire spectrum.

So the only similarities they share are that they're both Schiit.

post #2166 of 3151
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Yes. However Mjolnir is just flat out better than Lyr across the entire spectrum.
So the only similarities they share are that they're both Schiit.
+1. I second that.
I switched from bifrost/lyr to mjolnir/gungnir, and never look back. smily_headphones1.gif
post #2167 of 3151

DIY question here: my Mjolnir should be turning up today, but my balanced headphone cable won't be turning up until mid January.  Do the pins on a conventional interconnect or microphone xlr match the pin configuration on a headphone output xlr? In other words, if I cut an old interconnect in half, ignore the shield and attach the red/white cables inside to my headphone cable - will that work?

 

Edit: just to be clear, I've cut off the end of the headphone cable too, so its a bare wire to bare wire connection.


Edited by Stormfriend - 12/20/12 at 2:57am
post #2168 of 3151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

I never said the BHA-1 wasn't balanced, it is.  You however did say others are cheating, and they aren't.  

You are ok with Bryston running an inverting amplifier with gain into another at unity gain and then AC coupling.  That's cool.  All I've ever said is that the design is terrible and like other designs that never should have been green lit, I won't be supporting it.  My hope is Bryston notices the market is strong and worth an honest effort.

If it makes you feel better that list of amps is pretty long and most on the list cost more than the  Bryston :P

Solude, have you listened to the Bryston?
post #2169 of 3151

What a totally irrelvant question!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rated1975 View Post
Solude, have you listened to the Bryston?
post #2170 of 3151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias of Sunhillow View Post

 

Which is the real irony in this whole debate. I own both the BHA-1 and the Mjolnir, and to my ears, they sound virtually identical.

 

I share the same views as you.  To put a little more salt in the game.  Both sound very similar to the $200 a-100 mini X speaker amp. blink.gif

post #2171 of 3151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

I never said the BHA-1 wasn't balanced, it is.  You however did say others are cheating, and they aren't.  

You are ok with Bryston running an inverting amplifier with gain into another at unity gain and then AC coupling.  That's cool.  All I've ever said is that the design is terrible and like other designs that never should have been green lit, I won't be supporting it.  My hope is Bryston notices the market is strong and worth an honest effort.

If it makes you feel better that list of amps is pretty long and most on the list cost more than the  Bryston :P

The design is terrible?

You hope Bryston makes an honest effort?

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, 'cos it is......
Obviously you have no idea who you are talking to or what you are talking about.

On a much less serious note, Santa will be hearing about this!biggrin.gif
post #2172 of 3151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla View Post

What a totally irrelvant question!

Totally irrelevant... Why? What am i missing?
I simply asked whether he has listened to the Bryston?
I tend to find comparisons somewhat useful.
post #2173 of 3151

I was ironic ,)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rated1975 View Post


Totally irrelevant... Why? What am i missing?
I simply asked whether he has listened to the Bryston?
I tend to find comparisons somewhat useful.
post #2174 of 3151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla View Post

I was ironic ,)

Awesome wink.gif (wink wink)
post #2175 of 3151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla View Post

I was ironic ,)


Ahhhhhh!

In that case, that is funny! biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier