Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier - Page 142

post #2116 of 3200

Have you tried the vintage Grados? I'm not a big fan of the current Grados but the HP1000 was amazing the last time I heard them. 

 

As for the HE6 and HD800 compared to the LCD it does seem like most people learn towards one direction. I can't say I loved the LCD sound but the HE6 and HD800 are great for me. 

post #2117 of 3200

I'm confused since someone mentioned much earlier in this thread that unlike the BHA-1, the Mjolnir does not have two separate amplifiers (one for each channel) so in that case how is the Mjolnir a true balanced amp?

post #2118 of 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by technica18 View Post

I'm confused since someone mentioned much earlier in this thread that unlike the BHA-1, the Mjolnir does not have two separate amplifiers (one for each channel) so in that case how is the Mjolnir a true balanced amp?

It's because of the circlotron style topology (cross-shunt push-pull). Balanced from input to output.

2 channels to create balanced input, instead of most balanced amps using 4 channels, 2 single ended amps bridged together for balanced.


Edited by paradoxper - 12/17/12 at 9:48pm
post #2119 of 3200

I just listened to the Burson Soloist side by side with the Mjolnir, and wow it is so much slower and relaxed than the latter... Not necessarily in a positive way... My ears kept yearning for the sound with the Soloist. I have to say I just like the Mjolnir's sound better.

post #2120 of 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post

My ears kept yearning for the sound with the Soloist. I have to say I just like the Mjolnir's sound better.
That are 2 contradict statements, so which one do you like better?
post #2121 of 3200

I believe GG meant "My ears kept yearning for the sound [of the Mjolnir] with the Soloist". This would be consistent with the rest of GG's post.

post #2122 of 3200

Sorry for the terrible wording.

 

I mean to say, my ears kept yearning for the sound to come into my ears instead of lagging behind because of the slowness and relaxed sound of the Soloist. I felt it so slow in comparison to the Mjolnir that my ears became impatient whilst listening to the Soloist. This may sound a bit extreme, but it's only to give you an idea of the difference between the two.

 

"My ears kept yearning for the sound, while listening to the Soloist..."

 

 

Some claim the Gungnir is a darker DAC; I cannot agree or disagree because I haven't gone into analyzing the sound of the DAC yet, but if that is true, the Gungnir coupled with the Soloist might've been the cause if my impression sounds a bit weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiDee View Post

I believe GG meant "My ears kept yearning for the sound [of the Mjolnir] with the Soloist". This would be consistent with the rest of GG's post.


Edited by Girls Generation - 12/17/12 at 11:46pm
post #2123 of 3200

People claiming the Gungnir as a dark DAC must be used to some incredibly shrill components. The Gungnir is a refined Bifrost imo, with greater clarity and detail, more extension into the low bass and without the midbass smear of its brethren. No one who has heard a Bifrost would ever call it dark.


Edited by olor1n - 12/18/12 at 12:10am
post #2124 of 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Don't hold your breath...the RS-1s are still my favourite Grados. 
Don't give up on the PS1000s. wink.gif

They're sensational with the ECBA...
post #2125 of 3200

Soloist is most definitely laid back.  I found it had better detail retrieval and texture but, like the B22, is pretty dead sounding beside the Mjolnir.

post #2126 of 3200

My B22 is not dead sounding at all.  However, it is more musical than the Mj and it sounds better with a wider range of headphones.  The Mj sound great with the LCD-3/2 but outside of that my B22 with it's flexibility outshines it.  IMO.  

 

The Mj is a Beast of a amp, like a Mike Tyson.  It sounds really good with music like Death or Trash Metal because of its in your face style.  Reminds my a lot of the BHA-1.  IMO the HD800s are not a good match with either the BHA-1 or the Mj.  But my B22 makes the HD800s sound really musical.  

 

I guess it's all you're after and what kind of music you prefer.  

 

If the Mj had a 2 or 3 position gain switch it would one hell of a flexible amp.


Edited by preproman - 12/18/12 at 5:21am
post #2127 of 3200

I found the Mjolnir preferable to my tastes, and I listen to mostly female vocals. Hmm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

My B22 is not dead sounding at all.  However, it is more musical than the Mj and it sounds better with a wider range of headphones.  The Mj sound great with the LCD-3/2 but outside of that my B22 with it's flexibility outshines it.  IMO.  

 

The Mj is a Beast of a amp, like a Mike Tyson.  It sounds really good with music like Death or Trash Metal because of its in your face style.  Reminds my a lot of the BHA-1.  IMO the HD800s are not a good match with either the BHA-1 or the Mj.  But my B22 makes the HD800s sound really musical.  

 

I guess it's all you're after and what kind of music you prefer.  

 

If the Mj had a 2 or 3 position gain switch it would one hell of a flexible amp.

post #2128 of 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

My B22 is not dead sounding at all. 

 

Note I said in comparison to the Mjolnir.  Compared to the Liquid Fire or GS-1 its a dynamics monster ;)

post #2129 of 3200

Just got my Mjolnir in the mail today, but until I get my balanced LCD-2 cable at the end of the week it is just a beautiful and expensive paper weight.  It's killing me!!!!!  First world problems...redface.gif

post #2130 of 3200

Burn in time without the niggling itch to listen... sounds like win to me ;)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier