Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier - Page 129

post #1921 of 3151

A newbie question in regards to burning in a headphone amplifier -- could it potentially have negative effects to let the amp and headphones run burn-in material for 18+ hours straight per day?  Is it better to do it in shorter time increments?  Sorry for the potential thread derailment.  

post #1922 of 3151

@ Jand: I wouldn't be concerned. Having said that, I would rather listen to the combo and enjoyed the music rather than just waiting 18 hours+. That is boring.

 

----

 

It is the Gungnir that makes it "bassy". I have tried several permutations of the portfolio, and the Gungnir is de facto relatively "bassy". That is partly the reason I can listen to my HE-6 via the Mjolnir / Gungnir stack. If I use another DAC than the Gungnir - the HE-6 shouts too much in my ears.

 

I would suggest you to try another DAC for the LCD-3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

Hey soup, let me know what you think about the mojo with the LCD3. I actually do not like it at all triportsad.gif, it's too bassy and incoherent in the lower registers compared to the HE-6 or HD800 imo.


Edited by Loevhagen - 11/30/12 at 9:56am
post #1923 of 3151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post

@ Jand: I wouldn't be concerned. Having said that, I would rather listen to the combo and enjoyed the music rather than just waiting 18 hours+. That is boring.

 

----

 

It is the Gungnir that makes it "bassy". I have tried several permutations of the portfolio, and the Gungnir is de facto relatively "bassy". That is partly the reason I can listen to my HE-6 via the Mjolnir / Gungnir stack. If I use another DAC than the Gungnir - the HE-6 shouts too much in my ears.

 

I would suggest you to try another DAC for the LCD-3.

 

Hmm, my impressions is that the bass is definitely there but just cleaned up compared to my other equipment. For example, my EMU 0202 USB dac + Mjolnir was MUCH more bassy and boomy than my gungnir+mjolnir.

 

Again, just my impressions.

post #1924 of 3151
I have a very very newbie question, so please bear with me.

I did do a search on head-fi but could not find the answers to my questions.

I have the Audeze LCD-2. I'm not familiar with the inputs on the Schiit Mjolnir. Do I simply use the "one pair balanced XLR plug" to plug in the headphones?? (LCD-2 plug into the XLR plug, and XLR Plug into the headphone input in the front of the mjolnir)??

I also notice it comes with "one pair single-ended RCAs". Can this be used to plug the mjolnir into an iPhone? If not, is there anyway to use this amp with an iPhone? It will mainly be used as a desktop amp but just wanted to know if I had the option to use it with my iphone.
If yes, is there anyway to us the following product? (Fiio L9 - Line-out-device)??

http://www.headphonebar.com/products/Fiio-L9-LOD.html

I apologize in advance if these questions are extremely newbie.

Thanks!
post #1925 of 3151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesq View Post

I have a very very newbie question, so please bear with me.
I did do a search on head-fi but could not find the answers to my questions.
I have the Audeze LCD-2. I'm not familiar with the inputs on the Schiit Mjolnir. Do I simply use the "one pair balanced XLR plug" to plug in the headphones?? (LCD-2 plug into the XLR plug, and XLR Plug into the headphone input in the front of the mjolnir)??
I also notice it comes with "one pair single-ended RCAs". Can this be used to plug the mjolnir into an iPhone? If not, is there anyway to use this amp with an iPhone? It will mainly be used as a desktop amp but just wanted to know if I had the option to use it with my iphone.
If yes, is there anyway to us the following product? (Fiio L9 - Line-out-device)??
http://www.headphonebar.com/products/Fiio-L9-LOD.html
I apologize in advance if these questions are extremely newbie.
Thanks!

LCD's use mini XLR connectors at the headphone end. You have a choice of 4-pin XLR or  dual 3-pin XLR on the cable end. Mjolnir has 4-pin XLR and dual 3-pin XLR inputs.


Edited by paradoxper - 11/30/12 at 7:13pm
post #1926 of 3151
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

LCD's use mini XLR's. You have a choice of 4-pin XLR or  dual 3-pin XLR.

Thanks. Are those included with the Mjolnir? Is one better than the other?
post #1927 of 3151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesq View Post


Thanks. Are those included with the Mjolnir? Is one better than the other?

Mjolnir has both inputs 4-pin or dual 3-pin XLR.  The stock cable should be 4-pin XLR. 4-pin XLR wins out over dual 3-pin XLR

for ergonomics.

 

Unless you're using a SE 1/4 TRS cable, which you'd need to reterminate it to either 4 or dual 3-pin XLR.


Edited by paradoxper - 11/30/12 at 7:20pm
post #1928 of 3151

No. That is part of a balanced headphone cable. 

 

The Mjolnir comes with the amp and the power cable. There is nothing else. You need either XLR or RCA cables to connect to the Mjolnir and from there you need a balanced headphone either with a 4 pin XLR or dual 3 pin XLR terminations. 

post #1929 of 3151
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

No. That is part of a balanced headphone cable. 

The Mjolnir comes with the amp and the power cable. There is nothing else. You need either XLR or RCA cables to connect to the Mjolnir and from there you need a balanced headphone either with a 4 pin XLR or dual 3 pin XLR terminations. 

Thanks Rawrster for the reply.

I'm assuming I would need these for my LCD-2?

http://audeze.com/balanced-cable-4-pin

Also, would you be able to answer the iphone RCA question? Anyway to hook up the mjolnir to an iphone? Will I be able to use LOD?

Thanks again!
post #1930 of 3151

The Mjolnir deserves better than an iphone unless you have something like the wadia 170i or similar product. I'm sure there are iphone LOD to RCA but I would rather get a transport for the iphone or just use a different source like a cd player or computer.

 

Yes you would need a cable like that.

post #1931 of 3151

Just got my LCD-2s in the mail today... watch out Mjolnir, I'm coming for you! (wallet cries)

post #1932 of 3151
Output voltage of an iPhone is very low compared to desktop sources. You likely won't get pleasing sound from it using the Mjolnir amplifier (or any amplifier, really). This happened at RMAF 2011 when Audeze ran out of sources so they hooked up an iPod to an Eddie Current 2A3 (I think) amp and the sound was lifeless and had very little dynamics. Changed to a proper desktop source later that day and came back to that amp and it was completely better.
post #1933 of 3151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard View Post

 

Where'd you get this idea? Mjolnir doesn't need inputs to be stable, or outputs not to burn up, you don't have to plug and unplug headphones, nor do you have to twirl by the light of the full moon with a dead chicken in your arms in order to appease the Circlotron God in order to have it run right. In terms of operational oddities, it's a totally boring amp.

 

Dang. On the passdiy site in an article "Build the Amazing FET Circlotron" it says: "Circlotron circuits make for lots of interesting discussion among the audio crowd.  They are sometimes thought to posses mystical powers and perform hitherto impossible quantum mechanical wonders."

 
I want mystical wonders, not boring.
 
The Circlotron was Invented by a guy named Alpha M. Wiggins, how could it be boring? What was his brother/sister named? Beta? Only Space Aliens have names like Alpha.

Edited by ehlarson - 12/1/12 at 10:23am
post #1934 of 3151

Why do I want this amplifier all of a sudden?

post #1935 of 3151

^^

 

Because this is Head-Fi!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier